OtakuBoards

Ouran High School Host Club

anime_dark

Aaaah sweet Ouran :animesmil Such a fantastic anime. I've watched all the episodes thus far and am eagerly awaiting the next. The Alice episode was hilarious - especially with Kaoru and Hikaru as the Cheshire(s) XD The make pretty kitties ^^ And Haruhi's dad.....oh my word...his entrance had me in stitches, as did the twins' greeting to him. *snickers* Felt pretty bad for Tamaki there *snerk*

All in all, an excellent show that has me hooked completely. I'd buy the mangas, unfortunately though I am experiencing a cashflow crisis at the moment :animeswea ... so we'll just have to wait till next payday ^^

~Forest

PS: I may be wrong here, but the situation between Kaoru and Hikaru never seemed like genuine incest...more like "fanservice" for the girls they host (and the viewers ;) ). *shrugs* Could just be me though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Haruhi Fujioka, the 'scholarship student' at the prestigious academy of Ouran High School accidentally breaks an 8 million yen vase belonging to the school's "Host Club", a mysterious campus group consisting of six super-rich (and gorgeous) guys, her life changes forever.

The Host Club sentences her to work as their dog in order to pay off her debt. They soon discover Haruhi's strikingly good looks and decide to let her work as a host instead. However, none of the members of the elite club notice one crucial detail, that Haruhi Fujioka is a girl!

Working with the Host Club in this unusual (and adorable) romantic comedy, Haruhi discovers just how wealthy the boys are and how different they are from everybody else.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouran High School Host Club my newest favorite anime. and because it seem so new (I mean on how how many episodes have subs) That I wonder how my poeple know about and if so what do they think about it. I can't put it up there with Naruto and Bleach but is comes in a close second with them :animesigh

1. Duh I won't write about if I didn't like it
2.Tamaki
3. Tamaki/Haruhi
4 the twins( they scare me sometimes)

Now that Ii'm done blabing about it. I want to hear what you think of it. :catgirl:

1. Do you like it?
2. Who you favorite character?
3. who you favorite couple?
4 what surprises you the most about this anime?
5. and more if you want........

[QUOTE=serenayasha]2. Who you favorite character?
3. who you favorite couple?[/QUOTE]
[SIZE=1]2. It's difficult to choose. Honestly, all of them are likable, though in the end, it's a toss-up between Tamaki and the twins. I once saw an Ouran icon with a picture of Tamaki and the twins huddled together, and the text read "dorks cubed," which is exactly what they are. However, Nekozawa definitely wins my vote for favorite side-character. I mean, come on. He's awesome.

3. Again, hard to choose. I'm leaning towards Haruhi/Tamaki, though the few moments of Haruhi/Mori and Haruhi/Kyouya tend to be interesting. From the looks of things, my opinion of Haruhi/Hikaru will depend greatly on episode 16. And fanservice aside, Hikaru/Kaoru [I]is[/I] truly interesting, especially in light of episode 15. Honestly, I'll have to finish watching the entire series before I can make any solid decisions.[/SIZE]

[color=dimgray] *wibble* Hikaru and Haruhi... so cute. I was expecting episode 16 to take another week or so to be subbed, so I was surprised when it was already available. Anywho, what will happen to Kaoru? T_T I like the twincest fanservice too much. This show is such a guilty pleasure. :sigh: Too much slapstick humor from Tamaki to resist it, though.

We need more Mori/Hunny episodes.
[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=serenayasha]
2. Who you favorite character?
3. who you favorite couple?
[/QUOTE]

Just started watching about a week ago. I love this series so much!
2. Tie between Tamaki and Kyoya. Tamaki is hilarious, like when he's disappointed and angry (at the twins) and such. And he thinks abouth weird, random stuff.
Kyoya, because he can handle Tamaki withought getting mad or sweatdropping (that's an acomplishment! lol) And he's funny when he's angry too. "The Low Blood Pressure Demon Lord" XD

3. Tamaki x Haruhi! They are so cute together! ^^

[size=1]I'm really new to this series.

No, really, I am. I just watched the first two episodes like an hour ago. Prodding from OB, myO, and other friends alike prompted me to check it out.

...And hot dang, am I glad I did.

I was a bit leery at first, but as it went along, I started laughing so hard! The twins constantly teasing fangirls with incest (is it just me, or does the series seem to be taking a playful jab at yaoi and its rabid fangirls, if not just a hair? Prolly just me over-analyzing), the crossdressing, and my personal favorite...HUNNI-SENPAI! EEEEEE!

... *coughs* Yes, I do love this series. Already. Alot. It's just a shame I won't be able to watch it much, what with school starting for me soon...curse my procrastinating tendencies.[/size]

[quote name='Sangome][size=1']Prolly just me over-analyzing), the crossdressing, and my personal favorite...HUNNI-SENPAI! EEEEEE![/size][/quote]
[size=1][color=royalblue]Hunny FTW! =D

I was introduced to Ouran when I was over at a friend's house. She had the first manga out on the coffee table, so while she played Harvest Moon, I read that. The first chapter really confused me, and I had a hard time catching on to the character's names. >.> In fact, in the omakes, whenever the name "Hatori" popped up, I thought it meant Mori, not the author. ><;;

The same friend then pointed out to me that the anime was being fansubbed, so I decided to bite the bullet and actually watch my first fansub. =P After a few marathon events, I managed to catch up.

My favorite character is, of course, Hunny! *points to banner* =D The little guy's so adorable, plus he's a master with martial arts, smart, and the like. *fangirl squee*
I also liked Hikaru in the manga, but I realized how different he seemed to be in the anime. It seems like Kaoru and Hikaru changed personalities...or maybe that's just me. *shruggie*

Favorite couple? I like Haruhi and Tamaki, because you basically know that's going to happen. What's actually really refreshing about this series is that it's not the girl chasing the guy, it's the guy chasing the girl. In shoujo, that hardly ever happens.
Though...I do like Haruhi and Hikaru, but probably more so in the manga than the anime.
And when it comes to the Hikaru, Kaoru, and Haruhi thing...I love the "dorks cubed" comment. XD[/color][/size]

[quote name='Sangome][size=1']is it just me, or does the series seem to be taking a playful jab at yaoi and its rabid fangirls, if not just a hair? Prolly just me over-analyzing[/size][/quote]
[SIZE=1]No, it's not just you. I think that's one of the big selling points of the series; "We make fun of the very people who watch this show!"

And oh man, in light of episode 17, Kyouya is total love. I didn't really realize it until recently, but he's been slowly growing on me all throughout the series, and now it seems he's become one of my favorite characters. Darn him! Darn you, Kyouya![/SIZE]

[size=1][color=royalblue]Not only do they make fun of the yaoi fangirls with Generic Girls 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, but they also make fun of female otaku.
Who? Renge!
The girl blurs reality and her video games, likes to classify people into stereotypes, and enjoys 'cosplay'. She just randomly appears with her 'High-Powered Motor" and then dictates how things should be. Renge is a bag of fun. XD

Really, Ouran has so many elements within it, which is what makes it a great series. Even if the major themes are comedy, romance, and drama (eh..), there are really so many underlying themes. It's all fun. =D[/color][/size]

• 1 month later...
Thread requires resurrection.

Man, this last season has had some really great endings - Diebuster's (aka Gunbuster 2) wonderful homage, Blood+ finally pulling itself together after an EXTREMELY uneven run, Black Lagoon's surprisingly laid back buddy moment, and of course Haruhi (which I'm not breathing a word about). But out of the whole bunch I think Ouran's ending may be the one I remember most - I don't think I can recall another comedy series that suddenly spun off in a dramatic direction in the final episodes and actually [i]made it work[/i], but Ouran manages to pull it off. So, let's discuss Ouran and the spat of good endings while we can, as I'm sure the new season's got at least two or three Mai Himes waiting for us.

Anyways, not only did they pull off the drama thing, everyone in the show (except for maybe Renge) managed to get a nice little moment in those last few minutes! And also, I'm not really sure how it happened, but Kyouya somehow ended up becoming the best (i.e. the most developed) character in the series. But that still doesn't mean he's my [I]favorite[/I], mind (Renge's not giving up that spot).

[QUOTE=Katana][size=1][color=royalblue]Not only do they make fun of the yaoi fangirls with Generic Girls 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, but they also make fun of female otaku.
Who? Renge!
The girl blurs reality and her video games, likes to classify people into stereotypes, and enjoys 'cosplay'. She just randomly appears with her 'High-Powered Motor" and then dictates how things should be. Renge is a bag of fun. XD
[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=DarkOrchid]I LOVE OURAN!! :animeswea
Renge is a classic! She is a very fun character, and I gotta love them yoai fangirls.

Back to the anime/manga--I don't even know how I found out about it. It's one of those type of things that just happened, then I ended up obsessed. But, it's probably because of the whole crossdressing shojo genre. I'm obsessed with those. What's better than a crossdressing girl in a harem of guys?

My favourite characters are Kyouya and Hikaru and Koaru. Kyouya is just great. He reminds me alot of myself. I'm the last of four children two, and the last girl. I'm glad that I'm not rich. Then I'd have something to worry about. Anyways, I was told that I am a bit 'demonic' in the mornings too. I wonder if my blood type is AB...

Now, how can you [I]not[/I] like the twins?! They are full of fan service, and no I'm not a yoai fan-girl... or maybe I'm just in denial? Anyways, I love all of the characters. Honey-senpai is just cute, Mori is cool (he's a giant!), Tamaki is well... Tamaki and Haruhi is just like my sister! They are both so blunt and don't really think about what they say, but are so sweet you just have to forgive them.

I just finsihed watching the last episode, and it was great. Tears came to my eyes. I'm glad the manga is still ongoing.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Awww ouran all gone T_T

But it was a wicked series though, i went off it for a little while but then one day i thought back to it and watched about 4 episodes in one day.

I LOVE hunny, him and mori are the typical shota couple, but my favourite is the twins. I never actually liked twinest before i watched Ouran but i just adore them two, love the episode about them.

I was kinda sad with the end, lets just say what i expected to happen didn't happen. But i wasn't very dispointed it in(not like i was with FMA the movie anyway)

The worse episode for me had to be haruhi in wonderland or whatever it was, that was very boring but my fav would have to be one with the twins in it, or hunny or mori, or or omg i love them all. Even the red haired guy who came in.

As for stabing a poke at yaoi, does it really matter?, i think personally that theres a very thin line between Ouran and yaoi. I would say that the twins are a diffaintly couple, because even when there on their own their all 'lovey dovey' makes me think. Also the fact that they both sleep in the same bed naked at 17 years of age might make people think that there...that way.

I just take it in all good fun tho, they do depict yaoi fangirls perfectly, i myself have giggled when i see hunny and mori act out a shota scenerio, cos i have seen it been done so many times in shota mangas and anime.

There just showing the world what we are really like and i myself am a Renge ho ho ho ho :animesmil

[color=dimgray]I thought the ending wasn't as horrific and so many fans made it out to be (just another thing to put on my list of What I Hate about Big Fandoms), and it was enjoyable. Which is what Ouran is all about. :]

Thought the animation of Haruhi [spoiler]falling off the bridge and Tamaki jumping to catch her[/spoiler] was painful to watch. Very, very painful.

And for something of interest:

I had noticed it, and there were some posts on the Ouran LJ community about it, but Ouran is full of Jungian psychology. Which I love, because I'm a Jung fan. :D The whole thing with different colored roses, roses in general, the twins reading/doodling Jungian-related things, and 56830 other things. [/color]

[QUOTE=Lunox][color=dimgray]I thought the ending wasn't as horrific and so many fans made it out to be (just another thing to put on my list of What I Hate about Big Fandoms), and it was enjoyable. Which is what Ouran is all about. :]

Thought the animation of Haruhi [spoiler]falling off the bridge and Tamaki jumping to catch her[/spoiler] was painful to watch. Very, very painful.

And for something of interest:

I had noticed it, and there were some posts on the Ouran LJ community about it, but Ouran is full of Jungian psychology. Which I love, because I'm a Jung fan. :D The whole thing with different colored roses, roses in general, the twins reading/doodling Jungian-related things, and 56830 other things. [/color][/QUOTE]

I thought the ending wasn't that bad and the part where [spoiler] Haruhi falls off the bridge[/spoiler] was just a way of showing that [spoiler] Haruhi was in love with tamaki[/spoiler]. You could guess that by what she said before the [spoiler] falling scene[/spoiler] happened.

I was a good series though and i loved the bit where [spoiler] haruhi drove the carriage and chased after tamaki.[/spoiler] At least we know that [spoiler] Tamaki and Haruhi will eventually get married by what tamaki's father said at the end, where he said that he wouldn't let her go so easierly or something like that[/spoiler]

[quote name='duoikari]I thought the ending wasn't that bad and the part where [spoiler] Haruhi falls off the bridge[/spoiler] was just a way of showing that [spoiler] Haruhi was in love with tamaki[/spoiler]. You could guess that by what she said before the [spoiler] falling scene[/spoiler'] happened.[/quote]

[color=dimgray]Well, I had no problem with the actual event, it's just that the animation was... poorly done. Just a lot of anime 'poses' are really cheesy and would never happen in real life. Ever. [/color]

• 3 weeks later...
[CENTER]the story starts off with Fujioka Haruhi,a poor tomboyish student who got accepted at Ouran High academy,a school exclusive to only the rich.One day,while looking for a quiet place to study,she stumbles across the third music room,housing none other than the Ouran High Host Club.Haruhi tries to leave but accidentally stumbles & breaks a relly expensive vase 7 not being able to afford to pay for it,Haruhi becomes the Host club's dog,doing odd jobs.That is when the decide that Haruhi would be more valuable as a club member.[spoiler]Not realizing she's female due to her looks,the fix her up & give her a boy's school uniform.She becomes an instant hit with the ladies,so they decide to keep up this charade even after they found out she's a girl.Haruhi or Haru-chan, being just plain almost to a fault,dosen't know what to make of the strange activities of the Host Club (or even more the strange members!),but having no choice at all,she has to play along.[/spoiler][/CENTER] :D

I highly recommend this anime!!!I love it so much! :animesmil

[size=1][indent][color=#007520]Check out the Official Threads Directory before creating a new thread specifically for Anime. I also added spoiler tags to your post. Even if it's only a spoiler for the first episode, try not to include spoilers in your post, or hide them behind the spoiler tags. -r2[/color][/indent][/size]

• 4 weeks later...
[COLOR=DarkRed][I][FONT=Times New Roman]Ouran is one of my fav. because the whole series is very funny. :rotflmao: Each episode has an expected event. The creator of Ouran really knows what a sense of humor is. The creator of Ouran can balance the sad :animecry: and the happy :animesmil events in Ouran. But I'm not kinda please in the ending of Ouran because, it didn't [spoiler]state which of the characters will end up with Haruhi.[/spoiler][/FONT][/I][/COLOR] :(
[COLOR=DarkOrchid][SIZE=1][INDENT]I added spoiler tags to your post [B]Nuriko_Haruhi[/B], when discussing aspects of a show that could spoil it for someone who has yet to see it please use spoiler tags. For quick and easy instructions on how to use them just check the How to post in Anime Lounge sticky at the top of this section. ~ Aaryanna[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Oh man, this is the FUNNIEST SHOW EVER. :bellylol:

I just finished watching this series today, and I have to say, I'm very sad that there are no more episodes for me to watch. :animesigh How I will miss my Ouran High School Host Club. :animecry:

When I first started watching this series, I thought it was a little weird, but I soon got used to it and got REALLY into it, and soon it was just about my favourite anime, and I had to exercise self control in order to watch only one episode per day so it would last longer...

This series is SOOO funny, and I would laugh my head off during every episode. Tamaki is absolutely priceless. My favourite character. :D Being as funny as it is, I was surprised at how well the more serious aspects were incorporated into the show. It was hilarious, but also very touching at times, and each member of the Host Club was given their own chance to be in the spotlight. I especially liked learning about Hikaru and Kaoru's story. At the beginning I was thinking "Oh. Another set of typical twins who are basically one unit and are exactly the same". Boy was I proven wrong! Best representation of twins I've ever seen! They're actually very different.

While Tamaki is undisputedly my favourite character, I have a soft spot for Mori... He just a big teddy bear! :catgirl: I would have loved to find out a little bit more about him (since he only says "Yeah" throughout the whole series :animeswea ), but I think I like him [I]because[/I] he's so reserved. Probably because I'm a bit that way myself. Just not to that extreme. :p I love all the characters anyway, though. :D

As for the last episode of the series, while more than slightly cheesy, I actually really liked it. I thought it was a good ending. It rounds things off well, and I actually found it rather touching... I can deal with a little cheese. I was more than satisfied with the ending.

• 2 weeks later...
Haha. Apparently [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-01-11/ouran-high-school-host-club-video-game-coming-to-playstation-2-in-japan][u]there's going to be[/u][/url] a female-oriented ren'ai (romance) [url=http://www.ideaf.co.jp/host/top.html][u]PS2 game[/u][/url] based on Ouran. (Life imitates art?)

[size=1]And if there's ever a PC version, I'm totally buying it.[/size]

~Dagger~

Guest Kyano Hitachiin
I totally want the videogame but, I'd want it to come to America. I totally love the anime and manga. I was so shocked when I found out about the videogame, good thing we have a PS2 lol

Ouran's one of the few anime that litterally made me laugh out loud.
It's sooo funny! It reminded me a LOT of Furuba in its style of humor, only it was better.
It's definately one of my all time favorite comedy anime. The way the humor was done was EXACTLY my style! slightly smart, a bit stupid, some romance thrown in, perfect. The animation was gorgeous! as per usual with Bones doing it. My favorite characters were definately Kaoru and Hikaru towards the end, with a side of Honey-sempai!!