OtakuBoards

Changes You've Noticed.

chibi-master

This is the last thread before I go to sleep, I swear.:animestun

What changes have you noticed? I'm talking about things like better grammar and spelling in posts, things like that. This thought came from a different thought. For some reason, I was just remembering how much Rach scared the crap out of me when I first joined. Every time I thought 'Rachmaninoff', an image would pop up in my head. It was an image of a large, intimidating bouncer at a bar or something. In a tux. Playing a cello. I swear this is the lack of sleep coming into play here...:animedepr

So, yeah. What's changed about you since your noob days?

[SIZE=1]General trend towards a better post-quality over the years brought about I think by our member-base gradually getting older (from early/mid teens to early/mid twenties now) bringing with it a shift in the overall demographic of the site.

OB also seems to have regained some of its Otaku focus which was dormant for a number of years, which is a good thing (never made sense to have an anime-based forum which didn't really do anime). Gaming, music, film and television elements have grown and remained a solid aspect of the site. General discussion has also probably grown to be the main focus although I didn't post much outside the RPG forums until I'd been a member about 2 years so I'm not sure on that one.

RPGs also seem to have dropped off in popularity, which is a shame given how much I enjoyed it, but I attribute this to the change in demographic as well as overall focus of OB itself. I think it may also have been down to the fact we moved away from stuff based on popular series to more original concepts.

Having been here 8+ years now discussing particular members and how they've changed would require a considerable amount of time and effort, needless to say I've seen plenty of people start off here, develop and then leave and if I know them, it's always a bit sad when they leave.

I also remain convinced that our population numbers have dropped significantly in the last 2 years due to a lack of new members staying on the site for more than a few weeks/months.
[/SIZE]

[font=lucida fax]Everyone's from Utah nowaday's, while before I didn't know a single one. For the rest, I still do not know how to contribute to discussions (in proper English) without making an arse out of meself.

Oh but I became a moderator some time ago! :^D[/font]

[size=1]I've been here since the beginning, so watching OB change is like watching Pangaea drift into what are today's continents. It's developed a lot in all aspects, and mostly improved in retrospect. Like Gavin said, I'm also sad to see RPGs go down the drain; they were what I came here for the most aside from an occasional story. There was a time when RPGs were lengthy overall, but the posts were short in both quality and quantity.

Basically, as I see it, we weren't exactly a "lesser" form of what we are today. Back then how we were was appropriate and it fit just right. But that time has passed and a new era of quality and production is upon us. So that time is no more. So be it.

As for myself, obviously I got older and matured, so my grammar and spelling have improved as have the qualities of my posts. And those of you who know me know I have had an immature quality of humor about me, which I still use sparingly to this day in my writings. I try to change in places where it'd be healthier, but obviously I'm going to keep my own good qualities.[/size]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][QUOTE=chibi-master]This is the last thread before I go to sleep, I swear.:animestun

What changes have you noticed? I'm talking about things like better grammar and spelling in posts, things like that. This thought came from a different thought. For some reason, I was just remembering how much Rach scared the crap out of me when I first joined. Every time I thought 'Rachmaninoff', an image would pop up in my head. It was an image of a large, intimidating bouncer at a bar or something. In a tux. Playing a cello. I swear this is the lack of sleep coming into play here...:animedepr

So, yeah. What's changed about you since your noob days?[/QUOTE]Wait, wut? I thought it was Allamorph that scared the heck out of you. :p

Anyway, being in the older demographic when I joined to begin with, the biggest change I have seen since I joined is people growing up and having less time to come around the site due to real life commitments.

It's always a shame to see them move on, but I kind of figure it's to be expected.
[/FONT]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff'][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Wait, wut? I thought it was Allamorph that scared the heck out of you. :p
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

No, he scares the grammar section of my brain. You were the one I constantly had run-ins with when I first joined (as did Lunar), sooo... But it's okay now! Allamorph is a cuddly grammar kitty, and you are a...cuddly status unknown musician!:catgirl:

[size=1]

The Theater has gotten lazy. Not quality wise, but they take forever to write anything much to my chagrin.

Apart from the already stated rise in post quality and etcetera, the biggest change I recall, and miss dearly, is the Battle Arena. Its where I cut my teeth as a writer and RPer, and it taught me how to write fight scenes, which I hear are my strong suit.

I also miss some of the old members who have moved on or visit rarely. Being a military kid, I moved around alot and lost many friends in my life, but ever since I've joined the OBs six or so years ago, I've felt an obligaton to continue to return. I've known most of you longer than all of my real-life friends. Namely silpheedpilot, Gavin, Dragon Warrior, and many others.

You are all my Rosebud.[/size]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Well, I decided for a fresh start when I got my new laptop. I used to be Aberinkula, haha, but I was caught in DB's shadow, and I was incredibly immature. My posts were lazy, I talked like a nine year old sometimes, and I acted irrationally for most of my time on here. I got into my fair share of arguments that were mostly due to my ignorance. However, now I?m smarter, at least I think. XD

I have noticed that the grammar from members has gotten better since my last account over a year ago. I?m just glad I can post on this new laptop of mine without having to worry about being booted off the internet or having to worry that my word program won?t work and I?ll post lots of needless misspellings.

The only downside to OB now is the lack of member activity. It would be nice for the site to at least be as lively as it was before my old computer decided to crap the bed.
Nevertheless, I still enjoy coming here and seeing what?s up, even if I don?t come here once a day. It's nice to see that members like Ace, Gavin, Rach, Zen and Allamorph are still here too.[/FONT]

[quote name='Jabberwocky'][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]I got into my fair share of arguments that were mostly due to my ignorance. [/FONT][/QUOTE][font=helvetica]Dude, don't blame your own ignorance. Blame the other person's!

[center][url=http://xkcd.com/386/][img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png[/img][/url][/center]

[size=1](Unless you were arguing with me. Then you're pretty much stuck blaming yourself.)[/size][/font]

[color=darkred][size=1]My font shrunk about 3 sizes and the color got darker. And I like to think my posts have gotten more concise and have less rambling. Oh, and I stopped posting regularly >_>[/color][/size]

[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]Well, we use vBulletin now.[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=darkred][size=1]*rimshot*

I don't know why I laughed at that.[/color][/size]

[quote name='JCBaggee'][color=darkred][size=1]My font shrunk about 3 sizes and the color got darker.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

When I first read this, I thought you said that your F[B]R[/B]ONT shrunk about 3 sizes and that you got darker. I was quite puzzled, wondering how sitting around posting on OB for a while could lead to weight loss and a nice tan.:animestun

[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][quote name='Boo][font=lucida fax']Everyone's from Utah nowaday's[/font][/quote]Including you Boo. Since Aaryanna adopted you, that makes you an honorary Utahan. Congrats! :p

Perhaps I should adopt Gavin and snag us another European. :D

Anyway, biggest change I've noticed is how so many people have moved on. I'm always happy to see new faces like chibi-master who stick around. But I also miss those who don't really come around much anymore. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='SunfallE'][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Perhaps I should adopt Gavin and snag us another European. [/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Perhaps I should add you to that harem you were so interested in me forming. :P[/SIZE]