OtakuBoards

Claymore Manga

Raiha

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"][center][img]http://otakuanblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/largeanimepaperscans_claymore_kayurachan067__thisres__143362.jpg[/img][/center]

Okay so there's not been that much death in the Claymore manga these days. But I was curious who here actually reads it and kept up. I suppose we could also make angry and bitter comparisons to the show. ...which I'll confess I still enjoyed right up until the last two or so episodes.

Does anyone read it religiously once a month like I do? Wish that it was on the same sort of schedule as the Naruto Manga is? Idly consider the possibilities for how the current difficulties with one large angry purple horned monster pixie girl can be dealt with?

And who do you favor over the others?

I like Deneve. A: unique name. B: defensive type warriors are more my speed, as I too would want to protect my body or at least not worry about half of it going missing. C: same haircut once upon a time.

Which character needs to die a horrible and drawn out death?
[/color][/size][/font] Edited by Raiha

I thought about reading/watching this series, but I haven't bothered to because I keep hearing that the male lead is terrible. I'm interested because I've been looking for more series where female characters aren't portrayed as some damsel that dress trashy/slutty. (Psyren don't have any damsels, but the females in that dress like strippers lol)

[font="Calibri"]The male lead is terrible because really there isn't a male lead. There's a male primary supporting character, but he drops out of sight for about five-sixths of the current story, which mostly revolves around the Claymores themselves.

I would be keeping up to date on it, except Viz put out a general Cease-And-Desist and OneManga respected that (for which I in turn respect them), so there's really no free way for me to keep up with it at present. It does remain one of my favorite series, though, and I need to see past Ep6 of the anime.

[spoiler]Good to see Priscilla's finally a little more conscious. Hopefully that means that Little Lover Boy ain't too far behind, and we can see some semblance of resolution on that angle.[/spoiler][/font] Edited by Allamorph

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]A male lead isn't really a male lead if you count th-- nevermind. El Morpheus is right. There's no male lead. Some of the Claymores are masculine enough to count in that department. Helen and Deneve included.

But I don't really think male leads make a story necessarily better. And the Claymores themselves act in suitably different ways from most females to make sure nothing is really that boring. Pretty much the only characters who were weak were annihilated almost instantly and in the worst possible ways. Or so I'm guessing. Some deaths were off screen. So to speak.
[/color][/size][/font]

That's refreshing. So that boy that travels with the main character's not as bad as people are making him out to be? I was under the impression that he was almost as annoying as Shinji (EVA) and I dread that boy.

I may check it out.

Allanmorph, (don't want to sound like I'm advertising or anything) you can always try going to Manga Toshokan to read free manga.

[quote name='Rebellion' date='03 June 2010 - 10:04 PM' timestamp='1275599080' post='694452']
That's refreshing. So that boy that travels with the main character's not as bad as people are making him out to be? I was under the impression that he was almost as annoying as Shinji (EVA) and I dread that boy.[/quote]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]
Nahhh Raki's nowhere near as bad as Shinji, bit unsure of himself yes but far more tolerable by comparison.

I've sort of kept up with the Claymore manga, giving the most recent chapters (last six or seven) a glance and filling in the blanks via summaries online. Followed the anime a lot consistently and rather enjoyed it.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Rebellion']That's refreshing. So that boy that travels with the main character's not as bad as people are making him out to be? I was under the impression that he was almost as annoying as Shinji (EVA) and I dread that boy.[/quote]
[font="Calibri"]He was made considerably better after a certain plot device which shall remain nameless, [spoiler]and in fact I almost consider him to be a little [i]too[/i] strong at present[/spoiler], so no. And besides, any plain old human who insists on tagging along with a trained hunter/executioner is going to be basically dead weight, both physically and emotionally.

Everyone hates Shinji on a personal basis, myself included, but I do have to admit that without his specific personality the ending to the story would not work at all. As idiotic as he is, he is crucial, and I respect that.

There is no N in my name. =P (Nor are there two Os, as Boo is fond of assuming.)

[/font] [quote name='Raiha'][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]But I don't really think male leads make a story necessarily better.[/color][/size][/font][/quote]
[font="Calibri"]Agreed. I may be an intolerable chivalric, but I am not a piggish chauvinist. Mostly I just wish there were more and better female leads who weren't required to fall back on any/every secondary man they encounter for some sort of emotional/physical/sexual support.[/font] Edited by Allamorph

• 3 months later...
Allamorph, Raiha, you two are some geniuses. I just wish a lot more could've been said to convince me to read Claymore earlier than now. I'm only on chapter 12, but the last 5 (I think) chapters were hawwwt. Claire is great. I'm still on the fence about Raki though. I kept tossing this aside because of what I'm hearing (and now seeing) about Raki and then I'm not really a fan of the medieval times (which is also keeping me away from Berserk). Honestly, I'm not even a fan of big swords, but considering how great a character Claire has been so far and how she fights I can't help but appreciate this series. This is definately something I needed lately because the big 3 aren't doing much of anything and I'm bout ready to drop them, especially with the stuff I'm seeing now with recent spoilers (can't include One Piece in that though, but still, I'm ready to drop that as well)

We need more discussions here...

Edit:

Wow... Teresa.

Edit 2:

I guess one can say that I'm practically hooked now. These ladies are the best I've seen since Fullmetal Alchemist. Ophelia (sp? I think that's her name) reminds me of Kenpachi/Nnoitra in some ways. Edited by Phenom