OtakuBoards

Art Theft

Axel

If you post anything online, you'll more than likely have it nicked at some point. Whether it's art, writing, or ideas, once it's out there people think it's fair game.

Have you ever had any of your work stolen, or know someone who has? Being in the art industry, I know a lot who have had it happen. Some have been simple cases (Like finding someone using it on Facebook as profile pictures.), but others have actually found their work in stores being sold on t-shirts!

I recently had to report someone for using one of my images and thankfully it was a simple process and the image was removed with next to no fuss. It's not the first time and it won't be the last.

What do you think constitutes as art theft anyway? Where is the line drawn? (No pun intended.) Do you consider tracing art theft if it's posted as original work? What about the use of official images in things such as wallpapers? It's one of those things that makes you think as soon as you end up having to deal with it and I got curious.

Well, my artwork sucks, but I did have a viral video that I made a while ago get reposted under another name. I put four days of work into it, and I was pretty proud of my work, so I wasn't happy by any means. When I think about it though, I was kinda stealing the song that was playing in my video was stolen by me, so I could be just as guilty. I gave the band all the credit for the song, but I certainly didn't ask them for permission.

I guess I am of the opinion that you shouldn't take other peoples stuff, but if you post online, don't expect people to do the same for you. If you are really serious about protecting your work, you pretty much need a patent. I think it is worth the risk though because if I post anything online, I want to share.

I guess especially with this topic, there is a rather big greyscale, which is sort of determined by the artist's own opinion. I think giving the proper credits is the decent thing to do and also greatly increases the likelihood of it not to be seen as theft, because, basically, you're advertising the artist. I don't think there's a difference in official art and unofficial art, really.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="#00bfff"]I've had a complicated situation involving art, but otherwise I have to say that I have not been [i]stolen from[/i].
I have, however, seen many people's works used without permission. I personally think, that unless the person is out of reach and you [u]credit with a link[/u] [i](However, still drop them a message! If they feel that they don't want you to use their art, they'll tell you), [/i]you shouldn't use another person's art at all, not even for signatures. Now, there are exceptions, but yeah.
[i]I hope this made sense.

[/i]Now, being a part of the role-playing community, I'm friends with people who recolor pictures and I don't mind as long as they give credit to the artist. Normally I'll draw a picture of the character for them if they're using a recolored picture so they don't have to use someone else's art. What I do dislike, more than recolors, are [i]face claims. [/i]I dislike seeing a bunch of vocaloids running around just with a different names and [i]maybe[/i] different personalities. [i](Now there are exceptions, because recolors can be just as bad as face claims!)
Anywho[/i], I'm ranting now. I'd like it if RPers asked permission or at least tried to make their own drawn pictures of the character before resorting to recoloring.

-nervous giggle- This is only my opinion!
[/color][/font] Edited by Remii Drop

O.K. so I love it when people use my art for stuff like signatures and avatars, as long as they don't claim it's theirs. It'd be real cool if they'd send me a message about it so I know what my art is used for, but as long as they're not claiming it their own, I'm fine with it really. Any exposure is exposure, yo. Besides, I've never put anything really big of mine on the internet because if I'm really proud of it, I know others would be proud to pretend to have made it as well. :<

I've definitely had a lot of my wallpapers from here be lifted and posted elsewhere with no credit to me. Thankfully every site I've dealt with has been respectful and kind enough to remove (or at least give credit to) the wallpapers. But I'm sure once my website and my actual design work goes up, I'll be more at risk but unfortunately, that's the risk you have to take in today's world.