OtakuBoards

Japan

If there is one thing that I enjoy, it would have to be traveling. When I lived in England, I used to take weekend trips to London all the time. I even went as far as Romania on a service trip. I've been to Gettysburg, Mexico, Canada, and several other places. I would love to go to the Amazon, China/Japan, and Vancouver, B.C. I wouldn't mind heading back to England again sometime as well. I've been thinking about traveling a lot lately with this being my last year of anime conventions. Instead of spending 400 dollars or so to go to Sakura con every year for the same old type thing, why not visit a new place I've never been to, ya'know? I hope to maybe go to Vancouver, B.C or Florida next year.

Do you guys like to travel? Where have you been? Are you considering a trip somewhere soon? Have any unforgettable stories from the said trips? Any travel advice?

From my experience, when you visit a third world country, do not, do NOT, label yourself a tourist or an American if you are an American. If you do, you will be targeted by pickpockets and what have you. You also want to set a good example of your country too. Example: France hates the USA. Don't add fuel to the fire if you intend to visit their country.

I have very many experiences in my travels but there are two that impacted my life heavily. These two were on my service trip to a Hungarian hospital and Romanian catholic orphanage when I was about 12 years of age. We were giving free medical supplies to the doctors and stuffed toys to the mentally disabled grown ups in their care in Hungary. I handed a tickle me elmo to one particular guy who couldn't really talk. He had the biggest grin on his face and made very happy squeals and grunts. He is a guy who had nothing going for him and yet he was the happiest man in the world! (A good lesson in there)

The other experience is at the Romanian orphanage. There was this girl who took a liking to me. She was very cute. She lead me into her bedroom to show me all her toys. There was a huge language barrier and yet here we are playing dolls and having a lot of fun. She didn't have much toys to be honest but again she was very happy.

I like seeing new places and exploring, but because I'm a broke student the only trips I get to go on are with my family. Those are not fun.

We recently drove to Blue Ridge, GA, to spend a few days in a cabin in the mountains. I loved the scenery and the weather but it didn't take me long to feel sad about being so far away from my friends. The day we drove back I had a 21st birthday party to go to, and though I live maybe 8 hours away from Blue Ridge it felt like we were on the road for a WEEK. There are few things I hate more than long car rides.

I've never been anywhere interesting though. I don't even have a passport. I'd be happy to go on a big trip with friends and visit foreign countries but who knows when I'll have the funds for that.

I love traveling. I've been two a lot of different states in the U.S. I was born in AZ, but we moved to OH when I was a kid. It took us almost two weeks to drive out here because we spent so much time checking out every state we went through.

My two biggest trips were Japan in 2007, and Israel in 08'. Both were completely different in every way, and I have some awesome memories from both. I would go back to either if I had an opportunity, although Japan seems more likely.

I haven't had any major trips like those since, but I've been to North Carolina, Washington, and Chicago multiple times over the last three years, for Comic Cons, to visit family, or fights. Last year we went to Dragon Con in Atlanta. I have this weird thing with wanting to collect Starbucks cups from every state I visit now. So far I have N. Carolina, Atlanta, and Washington(I bought a few from here because the first SB's was in Seattle).

There are still so many countries and states I still have yet to visit. My Fiancee's mom wants us to go to Vietnam with her and his step dad next year for a month, and I would love too, but it depends on our funds at that time.

Part of the reason I joined the Navy was to travel places. Aside from a brief trip to Delaware, I've never been north of the Mason-Dixon, never lived longer than a week north of Tennessee, and never been west of Memphis. Thus, I have a very limited view on culture even in my own country.

I'm stationed up near Saratoga Springs, NY right now. Just moved into my apartment last week. This is now the farthest north I've ever been, and I'm really enjoying the weatherâ??although I'm discovering that lots of people from the South or California (myself not included) have no idea how to drive in snowy or icy road conditions. It's frightening.

I'll be here for about another eight months, and then I'll be transferring again, hopefully to either Bangor or Bremerton, WA. Those and San Diego are the only three submarine bases on the West coast, and as much as I like it up in New England, I really don't fancy being in Groton, CN or Norfolk, VA all that much. (Everyone says Norfolk is a horrible place anyway, only surpassed in crappiness by Newport News.) That, and I really want to see Washington state, plus I figure if I can get a tour in over there, I can get my detailer to swing me San Diego for my next sea tour that much easier.

As of now I plan on staying in the Navy for at least the 20 needed for retirement, so that should net me a lot of traveling right there. I'm really looking forward to it.

"do not, do NOT, label yourself a tourist or an American if you are an American"

I can imagine why. I even feel that being an English person it's kind of the same stigma. It's actually part of what makes me scared to go 'proper' traveling. So many parts of the world feel off-limits, so to speak - places I'd love to see, because they're beautiful, like Armenia, Georgia, places in the Caucasus, the '-stans' in central Asia. It's a shame really. I'd love to follow the Silk Road but PFFT as if that would ever happen in today's climate, right?

As for where I've been, quite a few places when I was younger (my parents gave me the traveling bug): Jamaica, Venezuela, Honduras, Malaysia, Japan, Australia, Cook Islands, Tonga, Western Samoa, Tunisia, South Africa, Fiji, USA (Miami), Canada... I think that's it. As an adult I've done hardly any traveling myself. A few times to Paris with work and my girlfriend, and Marrakech with a friend, but aside from that - nothing. There's so much I want to see though. It's only fear that holds me back, but what's traveling without a little fear, eh? There's plenty of time left to get around. I'd really like to go to India, too. 

Edited by Break

Haven't really been many places. I hail from Philadelphia, PA.

I was treated to the Caribbean for my 21st, awesome trip. But you're warned to stay in your hotel because outside the walls is apparently very dangerous for tourists. The water is beautiful. I actually arrived the night before I turned 21 and my mother was with me. She asked a bar tender if it'd be ok to let me drink though it was like, 4 hours til I was officially 21...he was like...ma'am, the drinking age is 18 here. Lol.

Two years ago I just kind of got up one day and ran off to Chicago for the C2E2 Comic Con, like I literally just booked everything 4 days before and got great deals since they wanted to fill up the last spots.

I've been to Disney World twice. Great place, not a fan of a lot of people. Epcot was my favorite place.

Been to New York (class trip, didn't go anywhere), WIldwood, NJ is often where my family goes to vacation...Often go to Atlantic City. Um, been to Myrtle Beach...was nice there. I want to move to either Chicago or anywhere down south along the coast.

I have thus learned everyone is not a big meanie like they are in Philly.

I have thus learned everyone is not a big meanie like they are in Philly.

Haha. I thought the same thing about everyone in my hometown in England. I'd actually sink into a terrible malaise every time I came back from holiday and think, 'Why can't I just live in [wherever I'd just been]?'

Where did you go in the Caribbean?

Haha. I thought the same thing about everyone in my hometown in England. I'd actually sink into a terrible malaise every time I came back from holiday and think, 'Why can't I just live in [wherever I'd just been]?'

Where did you go in the Caribbean?

I went to Punta Cana....beautiful place once you're in the hotel resort area. And it wasn't even that crowded, I was surprised because my B-day was always about Spring Break.

My major dream trip is Japan, though I'd like to visit lots of places all over Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

I love travel although I still haven't been to many places.

Within Australia, I have been to every state except South Australia (due to change soon I'm sure).  Also haven't been to the Northern Territory, but I'd love to go. 

In terms of overseas, I've been to the USA, Canada, Hong Kong and Macau.  In the USA I stayed in New York, and went to D.C., Niagara Falls/Buffalo NY, and Boston (and drove through a bunch of areas).  In Canada I went to Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, and Quebec City.

And then in terms of HK...explored Hong Kong and then went to Macau on the ferry.  But so far I haven't been into "mainland China" proper - that's next on the list!

I really love travel and I can't wait to do it again.  We are thinking of going to Hawaii for New Year's Eve this year, so that should be fun.

Oh and, if anyone comes to Australia (particularly Melbourne) let me know!  I'll show you around and I have a spare bedroom here (although currently unfurnished) that I may be able to offer.