OtakuBoards

What's wrong with Dubs?

Guest Jabroni3:16

[color=crimson] there is only one good thing about dubs when you don't want to read the words... In dubs you can sit back and listen to the bad american voice actors :p cuz when oyu are watching subs and don't understanf japanese all that well you don't ahve to pay attention to every second and read the words.. :smirk: It's great for lazy people like me..... that's probably why they made bilingual dvd's so you can have the dub and the sub right there..... [/color]:p

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]

Bad acting, censorship, dialogue changes, plot changes, word/name changes, and just about everything else! [/B][/QUOTE]

yep, you've covered just about everything, except you never mention how bad the acting is, my god, I don't think it could get any worse....

Well, just look at the dubbed DBZ and pick from the astonishing list of problems it has.(By the way, I hear the FUNi has decided to stop editing and only provide the closest translations of anime possible.) But, like Forest_Pixie said, if you don't feel like reading the words and are willing to sacrafice some plot, acting, etc. then the dubs are better for you.

-Justin

Dubs are okay, I mean, come 'on, Can any of us do better? I mean, no matter how good the actors are, If you like the original, you just like the original. No matter who does it, if you saw the japanese version first, the the dubs just aint gonna seem right.

When it comes to subtitled anime, I tend to stay away from fansubs, unless, I'm desperate to watch something I haven't seen. As it was forementioned, I'd get the DVD's. They provide the most accurate translation.

Anyway, why do people think fansubs are the most accurate thing on the planet?

Don't get me wrong, I loved the original plots, but some dubbing isn't that bad. I don't know why everyone is always so anti-dub. So, yeah, they dubbed Fushigi Yugi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Sailormoon all REALLY REALLY bad, but that doesn't mean all dubs are that bad. I think they dubbed Jubei-chan very well. Other were done well, too, but hey, that's just what I think.....don't everyone throw a tomato at me, now.....

The dubbed Fushigi yugi was funny.. it had the lamest jokes in the world.. I liked it.. The sub was pretty much the same but the jokes made sense.. so I like both... the worst dub was Sailor Moon and Nadesico.. I had nightmares about Nadesico.. *shudder* My anime club needs to die for doing that to me.. thats why i am gonna be president next year and show only subbed anime and a few good dubs.. :p

A lot of people I know prefer dubs over subs, simply because it's easier to watch the anime, if you're only watching it for entertainment purposes. However, my friend has told me that for animes such as Sailor Moon.... the dubs are so incorrect when it comes to dialogue(sp?), that you can't even fully understand the plot. (I don't really watch Sailor Moon, but this is what I've heard.) The dubs make it seem more like a teen sitcom, rather than a 'magical girl(s)' series. Ahh well.... I prefer dubs, by-the-by. :o

Guest Jabroni3:16
Thats the way i feel. If i ever come across an Anime that is poorly dubbed, i'l probably watch the Dub version, but so far i have yet to see a Dub THAT bad. In fact sometimes i understand the Dub more than the Sub.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by *GaLxY-GiRl* [/i]
[B]A lot of people I know prefer dubs over subs, simply because it's easier to watch the anime, if you're only watching it for entertainment purposes. However, my friend has told me that for animes such as Sailor Moon.... the dubs are so incorrect when it comes to dialogue(sp?), that you can't even fully understand the plot. (I don't really watch Sailor Moon, but this is what I've heard.) The dubs make it seem more like a teen sitcom, rather than a 'magical girl(s)' series. Ahh well.... I prefer dubs, by-the-by. :o [/B][/QUOTE]

Sailormoon was really bad, at least, when DiC dubbed it, it was. It wasn't really the dubbing, it was the editing. But, DiC IS a maker of little kids shows, so naturally they changed just about everything (for the worst). Plus, Serena's dubbed voice has this squeek thing it does every other word. At least Pioneer did S-SuperS.....and they actually released uncut versions. DiC just messed everything up. I prefer dubs, too, though. ^^;