OtakuBoards

GBA Graphics

Fall

What do you think about the graphics of the Game Boy Advance? Yeah, they're supposed to be 32-bit or somethin', like the Sony graphics aren't they? I thought graphics on the GBA wouldv'e been worse than they really are, 'cause right now, I'm astounded by the graphics of Super Mario Kart: Super Circuit.... better than most Sony game graphics I've ever played... I honestly thought the graphics weren't going to turn out very good....

[color=indigo]I love the graphics. All those nice, 2D sprites... Love them... :)

While the GBA is a 32 bit system, that doesn't mean that you're going to get the same kind of graphics as on the PlayStation. While the GBA is capable of 3D polygons, it's not meant to be and they stretch the system to its limit. You'll notice that in games link Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, there's the skater which is a polygon and then everything else is 2D.

Personally, I like the old 2D sprites and pseudo-3D graphics. Gotta love that Mode 7 scaling and rotation. ;)[/color]

Yes, the GBA does support 32-bit grafics on that small screen. The grafics are very good in my opinion. Good, but not great. Great would include 3d environments, something they hav yet to improve on for future Game Boys. The grafics do not match that of PSx or PS one. On that small screen, the grafics may seem good, but when shinked, it hides the jagged edges and other defaults. Try comparing a game boy game on a game boy, to that of a game boy game on SNES with the specail cartridge. As you can see, the snes verion was not as good grafics as Game Boy Advance. Interesting? No, common sense...

[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]what u have to realize is: the GBA games typically have better better gameplay than a late PSX or any PS2/xcrap game
and as a true gamer im going to play FF a few more times before im done where as i can only play a lot of the late PSX games once or twice cause they just arent fun after so long
i mean i prefer a game that entertains me NOT my eyes, cause i can imagine what the people look like just nicely in my head... i mean Golden Sun is a lot better than 95% of PSX/2 games out there
if it were on the GCN it would be a longer game yes, and better graphics yes, but the gameplay would still have to be there to make it a good game :)
but i think that the GBA graphics are amazing... any better and we would start losing gameplay which is what a REAL gamer prefers ;)[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Guest RacerX1017
I think the gameboy advanced's graphics are astounding for a handheld. They are not as good as the PS1 because the PS1 is made for 3D games while the GBA is made for 2D games.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RacerX1017 [/i]
[B]I think the gameboy advanced's graphics are astounding for a handheld. They are not as good as the PS1 because the PS1 is made for 3D games while the GBA is made for 2D games. [/B][/QUOTE]
Well the GBA is 32-bit, and so is the PS1... so that means it [i]could[/i] have the same graphics as the PS1, but it's just that the GBA has a smaller screen... and I think that having a complete 3D environment game, on the GBA, is too much for now...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Squashed Snail [/i]
[B]
Well the GBA is 32-bit, and so is the PS1... so that means it [i]could[/i] have the same graphics as the PS1, but it's just that the GBA has a smaller screen... and I think that having a complete 3D environment game, on the GBA, is too much for now... [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Just because the GBA is a 32 bit system doesn't mean that it's capable of the same thing as the PSX, another 32 bit system. The GBA doesn't have as good a graphics processor as the PSX, so it's graphics aren't going to be as good. The reason for this is size.
Say you have two versions of a graphics processor, and one is half the size of the other. The smaller one is going to cost more, because it's harder to make something small, than big. If Nintendo had wanted to make the GBA cost a whole lot more, they could have made it about as powerful as a GCN or PS2. But to make it affordable (rather than a few thousand dollars), they used older technology that doesn't cost a whole lot to make small enough for a handheld.

The number of bits a system has doesn't really affect how good the graphics will be on that system. If you stuck the graphics processor of a SNES onto a 128 bit system, you wouldn't get 3D graphics.[/color]

the gba graphics are the same as the psx but it doesn't have a 3d processor so it can't produce 3d graphics unless the game's processor does. a couple of games that will be coming out with this kind of processor are karnaaj( a racing car fighting game with an isometric view) and hopefully a game by agb game developers.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by jcgoudy [/i]
[B]
[color=indigo]Just because the GBA is a 32 bit system doesn't mean that it's capable of the same thing as the PSX, another 32 bit system. The GBA doesn't have as good a graphics processor as the PSX, so it's graphics aren't going to be as good. The reason for this is size.
Say you have two versions of a graphics processor, and one is half the size of the other. The smaller one is going to cost more, because it's harder to make something small, than big. If Nintendo had wanted to make the GBA cost a whole lot more, they could have made it about as powerful as a GCN or PS2. But to make it affordable (rather than a few thousand dollars), they used older technology that doesn't cost a whole lot to make small enough for a handheld.

The number of bits a system has doesn't really affect how good the graphics will be on that system. If you stuck the graphics processor of a SNES onto a 128 bit system, you wouldn't get 3D graphics.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
Yeah, I was thinking about the size.... I never knew about that processor thing though..... anywayz, thanks for helpin' me out! :)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Squashed Snail [/i]
[B]
Well the GBA is 32-bit, and so is the PS1... so that means it [i]could[/i] have the same graphics as the PS1, but it's just that the GBA has a smaller screen... and I think that having a complete 3D environment game, on the GBA, is too much for now... [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Yeah, as has been said...the "bit" has absolutely nothing to do with the console.

The Xbox is actually 32-bit, while the GameCube is 64-bit. The only true 128-bit console is the PS2 and Dreamcast.

So as you can see, the "bit" means absolutely nothing.

The GBA's graphics processor isn't as advanced as the PSOne's and thus, it is incapable of producing 3D graphics.

Having said that, limited 3D can be done...but not in the true sense. You're only going to see "fake 3D" in terms of pre-rendered bitmap planes (like on Doom and Mario Kart) which scroll around the screen.

But 3D isn't necessary for good graphics. Some 2D games look better than 3D games...Golden Sun, for example, is gorgeous. Far more beautiful than some of the really poor 3D RPGs on PSOne.[/color]

Much like the Atari Jaguar (ack!) the higher the bits does mean that you'll get somewhat more efficient processing...other than that...it's the other components that really compose a good system. With the GBA, I think it would do very well being a "sprite mosnster." If the system did go fully 3D...the games might look something a lot like an enhanced SNES version of StarFox or StunRaceFX.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by tronix [/i]
[B]Some of the games graphics are a little dissapointing, namely Atlantis.[/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]think about it like this... not all the games can have a good programer on them.
And how many cartoon games are any good, look at Rocket Power, the wild thornberries, rugrats, the list goes on and on... they all suck in graphics cause little kids dont care about graphics and once they do they think blood and guts are cool and get an x-crap[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]