OtakuBoards

Meaning of your username

Guest demimonkoumon

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to re-post something that was in my sig long ago- the oxford english dictionary's meaning of Deus Ex Machina-
oh yeah, it also means 'GOD FROM MACHINE'!!

[i]A power, event, person, or thing that comes in the nick of time to solve a difficulty; providential interposition, esp. in a novel or play.[/i]

1697 J. SERGEANT Solid Philos. 136 Nor is it at all allowable in Philosophy, to bring in a Deus è Machiná at every turn, when our selves are at a loss to give a Reason for our Thesis. 1840 BARHAM Ingol. Leg. 135 This was, however, no less a personage than the Deus ex machinâ,the illustrious Aldrovando himself. 1857 TROLLOPE Barchester T. II. xv. 292 Doctor Gwynne was the Deus ex machina who was to come down upon the Barchester stage, and bring about deliverance from these terrible evils. 1873 HOTTEN Slang Dict. 223 Mary Ann, the title of the dea ex machinâ evolved from trades-unionism at Sheffield. 1889 A. E. HAIGH Attic Theatre iv. 190 The mêchanê was used under various circumstances; but the most ordinary occasion for its employment was to introduce the ?deus ex machina? at the end of a play, when affairs had reached such a complicated condition that only divine interference could put them right again. 1896 W. CALDWELL Schopenhauer's System ii. 62 If you assume in every brain a spirit like a sort of deus ex machinâ, you ought to concede a spirit to every stone. 1928 C. DAWSON Age of Gods p. xiv, The dominant fashion is to look to the racial factor as the deus ex machina of the human drama. 1937 M. SHARP Nutmeg Tree ix. 108 Her function at Les Sapins was that of a dea ex machina; and the make of her car would not bear examining. 1962 W. NOWOTTNY Lang. Poets Use vi. 145 Fruitful Ambiguity, that popular deus ex machina of the contemporary critical scene. 1970 T. HILTON Pre-Raphaelites v. 133 The accepted interpretation, that he [sc. Ruskin] descended to the Brotherhood like some deus ex machina, ignores the real similarity of artistic purpose that bound him to the group.

I have no idea what the second bit's purpose is, though I thought I'd leave it in. I prefer the old meaning I used... not too sure which dictionary I got that from...

[QUOTE]
[i]Originally posted by Kittie[/i]
[b]i just put it as Kittie...

but that's my real name anyway! [/b][/QUOTE]

Are ya sure 'bout that, kittie?:D

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Deus_Ex_Machina [/i]
[B]
[i]A power, event, person, or thing that comes in the nick of time to solve a difficulty; providential interposition, esp. in a novel or play.[/i]

I have no idea what the second bit's purpose is, though I thought I'd leave it in. I prefer the old meaning I used... not too sure which dictionary I got that from...

[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]It means exactly what that definition says. [b]Deus ex machinea[/b] is a literacy device where there is no rational explanation as to why characters are saved in, say, a story...they just are.

An example of this used in literature would be in [u]Lord of the Flies[/u] because the boys are rescued for no damn reason at the end...they just are :whoops:[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B]

[color=deeppink]It means exactly what that definition says. [b]Deus ex machinea[/b] is a literacy device where there is no rational explanation as to why characters are saved in, say, a story...they just are. [/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

:wow: :wow: :wow:.... somebody who... understands my name... *faints*...

It also refers to such events in real life too: 'a sudden solution to a seemingly unsolvable problem' is one of the definitions I've heard.

PS- in case you weren't sure- the second bit I referred to was- [QUOTE]1697 J. SERGEANT Solid Philos. 136 Nor is it at all allowable in Philosophy, to bring in a Deus è Machiná.....
..... ignores the real similarity of artistic purpose that bound him to the group[/QUOTE]
(be thankful I didn't quote the whole thing ;))

I have absolutely no idea why that got into the definition (but before anyone comments- I [i]do[/i] realise that it's a list of examples in quotes).. but I left it in anyway ;)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Deus_Ex_Machina [/i]
[B]
:wow: :wow: :wow:.... somebody who... understands my name... *faints*... [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Indeed :p It took me a while to make the connection, but when I really looked at it, I was like [quote]WHOA![/quote]
and then I understood :genius:[/color]

[B]Well, I don't know if anyone remotely cares/remembers, but I started a website back on old V.2 and I called the The Elite Dragonball Z. Now it is called The Elite Networks (games all that stuff). And my real name is Gerard.......(It's a terrible name I know...)

[COLOR=Orangered] I remember N-MAN! [/COLOR][/B]

Hmmm........ Gee, what could my name mean.....Hmmmmmm.........

I dunno. You think about it. Lol. Actually, it's perfect for me. Big ol' DBZ fan, right cha'!

As for my old name which James-Da-Man changed for me, SuperSayian4444, it's my AOL email type thingie......Heh. The "4444" was because someone took the "4", the "44", and the "444" So, I said "BLAST IT!!", and took the "4444" Please note I was feeling crazy at the time I made the AOL name, and the time I made my username. Hell, let's face it. I'm always crazy. :whoops:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sephiroth [/i]
[B]

looks like we have a brainiac on otaku, lol....

I used to think he got the name from the pc game, deus ex, or something.... [/B][/QUOTE]

actually you are partly right...

OK... here's how I actually got my name...

FIrst.. I played on Deus Ex... to which my reaction was 'Great game.. wonder what Deus Ex means, though..'

Secondly.. I read a book.. which one, I forget... but the point is at some point in the book someone says something about a Deus Ex Machina.. and I thought 'hmm... Deus Ex.... Deus Ex Machina... that word gets everywhere, dunnit?'

So I proceeded to see if it even got into the english dictionary, and it had.. and just after I realised the meaning of Deus Ex Machina, I decided to re-register on Otakuboards, seeing as it'd been such a long time since I'd been here (actually, about 4 months), and I'd already found out that my old name didn't work (though I had no idea why.. I wasn't here when v2 went down), and what better name to use than... Deus Ex Machina!

So there's the story... I honestly had no idea about the meaning of Deus Ex Machina until days before I registered here.... and then, later, I found out that it also means 'God from Machine'.. which I was pleased about ;)

Guest ssjsupreme
This tread is now in general discussion, sooo..... my name is, yes, u guessed it, related to the show dragon ball GT.
[I]now i have the feeling that, me name goes deeper than just a title. it's more of a state of mind. and....[/I] :drunk: what was i just saying? well, it probably not important:smirk: :whoops:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vegitto4 [/i]
[B]I wonder how often seph is right now tha he's married [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]:rotflmao: That was so darn hilarious in the moment...bwah.

I was going to say something else and I completely forgot :huh:

Oh yes, now I remember...of course, the female is always right ;)

Haha...::spies angry males:: bring it, boys :p[/color]