stardust Posted March 22, 2002 Posted March 22, 2002 Hola, Cheerleading try-outs at school are coming up. I'm new at this and I was wonderin if anyone has anytips for me. I've been stretching ALOT and I'm pretty close to the splits, but whatever you can help me with would be great! Thanx in Advance
Guest Matt Posted March 22, 2002 Posted March 22, 2002 [color=red][b]I have two tips for you, but this is coming from a guy. :D 1. Learn to kick [i]high[/i]. :drool: 2. Underwear is optinal. :drool: :drool:[/b][/color]
BabyGirl Posted March 22, 2002 Posted March 22, 2002 [color=deeppink]Well I think I'm one of the only cheerleaders around here, therefore, I shall give you a few tips. First of all, if your motions aren't tight and don't hit in the right spot, then you should probably re-consider trying out. Motions are the most important part of cheerleading...more important than gymnastics or other skills. I don't know how serious your school is about cheerleading, but keep that in mind. Secondly, always smile, never look like you're concentrating. Always look like you're having fun. Thirdly, make sure you are loud. Loudness=good. Um...yep. That's about all I can think of right now. And I do know what I'm talking about, my team was ranked 4th in the state, even though we should have been ranked 3rd ;)[/color]
Sui Generis Posted March 22, 2002 Posted March 22, 2002 ERm...well I always say be enthusiastic!! I mean that goes with out saying...but yeah!! Do your best...put 120% in it and you'll be fine!! Enthusiasm goes along way in any sport!! Good luck!
Sephiroth Posted March 22, 2002 Posted March 22, 2002 we don't have cheerleaders here in the uk....-_-
Spikey Posted March 22, 2002 Posted March 22, 2002 I am a guy but I am strechy: Try to do the yoga thing. You know with the meditating. Sit down and bend your leg up as far as you can. Do the splits. Learn how to not be afraid of hights. Learn how to jump REALLY high. That is as mutch as I could do considering I am a boy.
Dan L Posted March 22, 2002 Posted March 22, 2002 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Spikey [/i] [B] Learn how to not be afraid of hights. [/B][/QUOTE] umm.... am I missing something here... :therock: I don't get why that bit helps...
coolkam007 Posted March 22, 2002 Posted March 22, 2002 my tip is to give an audience member a desposible camera.. and have them take pictures then afterwards get the camera.. get the film developed then post the pictures for me.. :D do that and you'll be my favorite cheer leader ever (i still love you too Jenna ^^)
Sara Posted March 22, 2002 Posted March 22, 2002 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Deus_Ex_Machina [/i] [B] umm.... am I missing something here... :therock: I don't get why that bit helps... [/B][/QUOTE][FONT=century gothic]The whole human pyramid thing.... As for me, I tried cheerleading one year and hated every moment of it.... But, I did try it... [/FONT]
Stitch Posted March 22, 2002 Posted March 22, 2002 lol cheerleading tips yeah i was a cheerleader one tip DO NOT FALL i did that and now i can't cheerlead anymore so i beg u don't fall oh and if ur really enthusiastic (like me) go for the star quarter back (but only if he is nice) lol j/k j/k yeah i loved cheerleading i was always on top it was fun but make sure ur ovments are precise and exact but plz plz don't look like a robot make ur movements smooth and easy also smile a lot like BG said cause its really important!!! and don't look at ur other teamates and if u mess up just get back on ur feet and pick up where u left off!!! good luck and positve attitude and enthusiasim usually help A LOT!;)
Justin Posted March 23, 2002 Posted March 23, 2002 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sephiroth [/i] [B]we don't have cheerleaders here in the uk....-_- [/B][/QUOTE] That only reinforces my firm belief that Britain is odd... Hmm...let me think...tips for being a good cheerleader... Always smile and look happy no matter how hard the work is. Start training your vocal cords. They'll need the strength. Oh, and never, [b]ever[/b] flirt with the opposing team. I personally find that to be an abomination, and overly offensive to the guys you are suppose to be cheering for. But [b]most importantly[/b] remember(this goes for everyone here): RED DEVILS 0wn j00!!! -Justin
NeoCactuar Posted March 23, 2002 Posted March 23, 2002 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sephiroth [/i] [B]we don't have cheerleaders here in the uk....-_- [/B][/QUOTE] I know where your coming from, we don't have cheerleaders here in New Zealand either, exept the ones for the Rugby, but there are more dancers than cheerleaders. Oh what i would do for cheerleaders...
Sui Generis Posted March 23, 2002 Posted March 23, 2002 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cera [/i] [B][FONT=century gothic]The whole human pyramid thing.... As for me, I tried cheerleading one year and hated every moment of it.... But, I did try it... [/FONT] [/B][/QUOTE] Yeah but if what my mother says is true....they have made it illegal for the really big ones anymore...so the heights thing wouldn't be much of a problem!
liamc2 Posted March 23, 2002 Posted March 23, 2002 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by NeoCactuar [/i] [B] I know where your coming from, we don't have cheerleaders here in New Zealand either, exept the ones for the Rugby, but there are more dancers than cheerleaders. Oh what i would do for cheerleaders... [/B][/QUOTE] In Aus there aren't any cheer leaders for highschool, just the rugby ones like Neo said. .and they are very, very scary. . A cabbage patch doll has more material on it than some of them. .its very degrading. . Back on topic. .this isnt about me and my opinion lol. Good luck with your Cheerleading Tryouts:D . . make sure you have good shoes o.O
Red Posted March 23, 2002 Posted March 23, 2002 [Quote][I]Originally posted by Justin[/I] That only reinforces my firm belief that Britain is odd... [/quote] [B]Britain is not odd, it's just different from America..... We do have cheerleaders over here, but not for football (soccer to Americans).[/B]
Jamvis Posted March 26, 2002 Posted March 26, 2002 we dun got them in soccer either... we dont want them to have blackeyes.... o-o;;;
velvet paws Posted March 28, 2002 Posted March 28, 2002 I wanted to be a cheerleader when I was about 12/13 but no where I could find had any kind of training for it or games that needed it...so I got lazy and now I couldn't stretch to save my life. I really want to become flexible again, it's only because I haven't done PE in 2 years because I hated the teacher and girls in my group. I walk regularly so I'm healthy...but I'm not that stretchy and my stamina isn't very good for the more energectic stuff. Any ideas? :excited: GOOD LUCK! HOPE YOU MAKE IT!!! :excited:
Lady Macaiodh Posted March 28, 2002 Posted March 28, 2002 i hate to admit it... but i was a cheerleader for seven years. >_< what's worse, i looooooved it. never lose your smile. keep your wrists straight--no bent wrists. make every move like a punch---tight & fast as possible. to do the split, try one of these: sit in a split position for as long as you can until you've reached the floor (don't bounce, you could tear muscles)--that's how i first learned how to do it, i sat in the split position while watching tv (distraction from the pain) for a whole hour until i was on the floor. the other thing you can do is put one foot on a chair & rest your opposite leg on the ground, knee to foot, & press down. this stretches the muscles further than just sitting on the floor does. if you do this often enough, a split won't be the least bit uncomfortable. one more thing--excersize your legs. you need strong legs for the jumps. you might want to go to a 3 or 4 day cheerleading workshop. gymnastics academies have them all the time. i improved a huge amount in just 3 days after i went to one.
Baby Kiwi Posted March 29, 2002 Posted March 29, 2002 [color=crimson]I am also another one of the cheerleaders at the boards. If the cheerleaders at your school are good, you may want to consider gymnastics (that is, if you make the team) gymnastics are crucial. But above all, your motions are the most important thing. Concentrate on 'hitting' your motions. Flex all of the muscles in your arms so that you cant move them anymore. Voice is also key. Don't scream at the top of your lungs, yell like you are yelling at a younger brother or sister. From your stomach, not your throat. You should also smile and have fun with it. I happen to think cheering is very fun. Keep up with your stretching and dont pull anything. Good luck with tryouts! ;) [/color]
BabyGirl Posted March 29, 2002 Posted March 29, 2002 [color=deeppink]Dizzamn...if I had the picture of my teams' toe-touch during competition I would scan and post it. Unfortunately, I don't have it in my posession at the moment...otherwise I would let you see what a beautiful toe-touch ([i]yes[/i] I'm bragging about my [old] team) looks like.[/color]
Baby Kiwi Posted March 29, 2002 Posted March 29, 2002 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i] [B][color=deeppink]Dizzamn...if I had the picture of my teams' toe-touch during competition I would scan and post it. Unfortunately, I don't have it in my posession at the moment...otherwise I would let you see what a beautiful toe-touch ([i]yes[/i] I'm bragging about my [old] team) looks like.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE] [color=crimson]Aaah, yes. 'The' toe touch. It is beautiful! You should scan a piccy of stunting. Maybe the end stunt. That looks like the most impressive. Maybe one of bwo or bhs too! (if they dont look that bad.) Our [old] team was awesome! [/color]
phoenixflames Posted March 29, 2002 Posted March 29, 2002 I'm just a stupid tomboy who couldn't cheerlead to save her life, but anyways, good luck at the tryouts!
velvet paws Posted March 29, 2002 Posted March 29, 2002 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by phoenixflames [/i] [B]I'm just a stupid tomboy who couldn't cheerlead to save her life, but anyways, good luck at the tryouts! [/B][/QUOTE] Awww don't put yourself down hun. Nuttin wrong with being a Tomboy and don't go callin yourself stupid in the same sentence. I could never be a really good cheerleader even after a year or so of none stop flexing and training so your not the only one. You'll have some other talent. :)
Amphion Posted March 30, 2002 Posted March 30, 2002 I think its safe to say that the outlook guys have on cheerleeding is totally different from what girls have.
BabyGirl Posted March 30, 2002 Posted March 30, 2002 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Amphion [/i] [B]I think its safe to say that the outlook guys have on cheerleeding is totally different from what girls have. [/B][/QUOTE] [color=deeppink]:therock: Perhaps you could elaborate on that... I apologize for the blurriness of this attached photo, but it's of one of the stunts my team did during competition, just to give you an idea of what we look like. I happen to be basing this particular stunt ;)[/color]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now