OtakuBoards

E3!

James

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shadow Night [/i]
[B]Sorry this may not be right but I remember reading issue three of CUBE magazine and the fur effect was in the screenshots. And the caption underneath was about how this effect so far only appeared in cutscenes not "in real time". If youve found this information and it will be used please tell me where !!!! Because so far I dont think it is being used in real time!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]That's old news. As far as I know, the "fur effect" is used in real-time in Star Fox Adventures.[/color]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Morph
[size=1] Wow, Miyamoto really is a genius, I cannot believe it. The Zelda game, the cell shaping and shading is incredible, it just fits so well, too bad I don't have GCN :(

Fox McCloud looks incredible in that, with the fur effect, on an Xbox demo disk that I got, it explains the whole bit about fur effects and what not. Its pretty cool

To my surprise, the Wario game looks pretty good, its got some nice graphics, and the game looks pretty depth, the level screen shots that you should James are pretty impressive

For the Mario Sunshin game though, I really don't like them that much, I don't know why, it just does catch something special... Like it did before, maybe its just the screen shots, or maybe its just me. I don't know[/size]

dear god these graphics look awesome!

the only game which doesn't catch my attention though, is wario, nothing really special about it in my opinion, though my opinion may change when I actually play the game....

were there any shots of metroid prime at E3?

[color=royalblue]Indeed there was -- Metroid Prime was playable on the show floor.

I'm going to create another thread for Metroid Prime though, because there is quite a lot to talk about...[/color]

Well, I am a huge Zelda fan, and let me tell you, this is not what I was expecting, but I am slowly starting to like this new concept, and I know that it will look much better in motion, the shading and detail is top notch though.

Mario Sunshine, that is the next game on my list to buy, that looks nothing the less of awsomely awsome!!! I love the objective of the game, having to go around washing away the evil Marios mud. Wario looks nice too but im more on the good side of the Mario clan.

Now I have to go check out Metroid Prime, Because the last time I ever played that, it was a a huge endless maze game on the NES!

Ahh......the old days....

hey guys, I just remmebered e3 was this past week and i went insane. I love all the new games and im glad I waited to get a gamecube, is the price cut confirmed. and how much is it now. Will the games be going down in price. And is there any word on the new conker game? Any other surprises?

Guest Dark Anime Guy
That 2nd pic reminds me of Samurai Jack, am I stupid or do you see it too?
But anyway's on too the real talk. At first I admit I was shocked by the new look of Zelda. But then I realised, hey the guy's a genius he has to be right about this. So I waited and waited for something that would turn it around, then when I saw this weeks episode of Extended Play, I was rocked. My, god I need a Gamecube. Looks down stupid ps2, why did I buy you. Oh yeah you have cool games too.

Guest Jabroni3:16
The game looks awesome, no better than awesome. And probably plays like a dream also. The Cel-Shading is the best of any other cel-shaded game. But i am still not liking how the Zelda series is going down this path, but this is my opinion, and apparently this gamers opinion is among the, now, minority. Oh well i can always hope for the next one... This is all i'll try to say on this subject, last Zelda discussion i particpated on this board turned nasty. But Kuja played a bit in that one, aparently he has been banned so i don't have much to worry about now. Man i hated that guy.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Jabroni3:16 [/i]
[B]The game looks awesome, no better than awesome. And probably plays like a dream also. The Cel-Shading is the best of any other cel-shaded game. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=coral]Agreed.

When Miyamoto said "don't judge this game by screenshots", he was definitely correct.

The trailer looks utterly beautiful. Even now, I don't think I've seen a more beautiful game for console or PC.

Realism is something that everyone can strive for -- but the result is always the same.

It's nice to see a game which is truly a fantasy...and which really captures the mood and feeling of the Zelda series. The new Link actually looks like the mischevious little boy that he really is...nobody is trying to make him more "hip" just to serve the non-gamer audiences.

And I respect that; I'm glad that Mr. Miyamoto decided to bring Zelda back to its roots in terms of design. When I see this game, it makes me remember the time when I first played Zelda on NES...it's a very warm feeling. :)[/color]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]Super Mario Sunshine is looking very pretty. . and no need to comment on many of the other ones out there such as Zelda, Metroid, or even Eternal Darkness. But has anyone noticed Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2? That game is just beautiful looking, and I am VERY impressed with the VERY few ingame movies/screens that I have seen. This game is shaping up to be one of the best racing games that will be out for the GAMECUBE, and I am very happy to see that it is going to come out. I would have definitely bought it if it was just for Playstation, as NFS: HP was one of my favorite racing games EVER for the Playstation. I was shaking a bit when I saw the preview, not wanting to wait till it was finally released. Anyone have any comments on this game or any others? ^_^ [/SIZE][/COLOR]

The graphics of all the games are stunning. I saw a Zelda video, Sunshine video, and a Metriod video (gotta love the coputer teacher who doesn't do a good job watching you).

All i have to say about the Sunshine video is you gotta love the music they had in it.

The Metriod video confused me. The first three fourths of it looked like someone was scanner happy with a bunch of black and white drawings. Or atleast that was what i thought at first until i really looked at the video.

The Zelda one, words can not decribe how much I liked that video. It looked like Link got a new gadget to replacethe hookshot. Or they changed it some what. It looked like he used a hookshot but instead of hooking into something it rapped around it.

But enought of my nonsence.

Well i agree these game are AWESOME!!!!!!! What else is there to say. Cel-Shaded graphics are really cool.i never doubted myamoto.he is full of suprises.I thought starfox is ok. byt it should still have some arwing fights.I am really looking forward to goldensun 2.Wario...well wario is wario.I ma not sure what to make of it.Bomberman is great!! they bring back classiv stuff along with new stuff.Zelda *shouts with joy* i never undersetimated that game! zelda rulz! adding that stuff about emotiobn and expression is cool.and i didnt even know he had a sister! metroid prime is looking good.all the graphics show stunning shots.i am sure fans wont be dissapointed.Mario Sunshine.well here's a first. a water gun? but finally yoshi on the cube! and you actually get to ride him! that game can take care of itself.just like mario.and even though this isnt in e3 what did you ppl think about Lost Kindoms?cant wait for these games to arrive!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by NorykoAngelcry [/i]
[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]But has anyone noticed Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2? That game is just beautiful looking, and I am VERY impressed with the VERY few ingame movies/screens that I have seen. This game is shaping up to be one of the best racing games that will be out for the GAMECUBE, and I am very happy to see that it is going to come out. I would have definitely bought it if it was just for Playstation, as NFS: HP was one of my favorite racing games EVER for the Playstation. I was shaking a bit when I saw the preview, not wanting to wait till it was finally released. Anyone have any comments on this game or any others? ^_^ [/SIZE][/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm with you here Noryko. I've always been fond of the Need for Speed games.

The first Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit simply had me hooked. It was pretty enjoyable playing as both the police and the criminals. The regular Need for Speed games rested on a solid engine, so throwing a chase formula into the mix was an ingenious move.

I've read that Hot Pursuit 2 has some very funny busted scenes and some little Matrix-ey video filter/freeze frame moments that accompany a big jump or other exciting moment.

Best of all, I hear the the cops are more aggressive and the car models can be damaged. I simply hate a game with beautiful cars that can't be damaged on powerful hardware like the GameCube.

Now, for other business....

Yeah, Zelda's new look is great, that's been established. Sadly enough though, I bet it's the only Zelda game that we'll see in that style. Lately it seems like cel shading is being overused. Miyamoto is never one to fall into the pack.

[color=coral]I loved NFS1 and 3. 2 was pretty terrible...and the less said about 4, the better.

I think NFS3: Hot Pursuit got it just right. And I'm very happy that they're making a Hot Pursuit 2. :)

CWB: The cel-shading in Zelda is being used in completely new ways; not just to achieve a visual style, but to actually change the properties of the physical environment (as Nintendo has actually mentioned recently). Games like JSR, for example, create a basic gameplay structure and then layer the cel-shaded visuals over the top.

In Zelda, the cel-shading is actually a [i]part[/i] of the gameplay. Therefore, post-GameCube Zelda is likely to either be cel-shaded...or somewhere in between the N64 versions and the cel-shaded version, in terms of visual representation.[/color]

Guest ProudClod
I prefer celda much more than the traditional graphics, but i think Shigeru Miyamoto is taking a big risk, the reason for cell shaded graphics is to be be able to add more effects of light and shade and more character expressions, but not many people see it as that, especially children! They might buy the game for its looks, take it home, have a few goes, hate it, and return it. Where as people who have a good rpg experience will think that this game looks very childish and will say no to it.

Star fox is like a back up for celda, since they are very much alike, with graphic types and a difference in battle sequences, so Miyamoto is in a win-win situation here, but it is still risky both ways.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ProudClod [/i]
[B]I prefer celda much more than the traditional graphics, but i think Shigeru Miyamoto is taking a big risk, the reason for cell shaded graphics is to be be able to add more effects of light and shade and more character expressions, but not many people see it as that, especially children! They might buy the game for its looks, take it home, have a few goes, hate it, and return it. Where as people who have a good rpg experience will think that this game looks very childish and will say no to it.

Star fox is like a back up for celda, since they are very much alike, with graphic types and a difference in battle sequences, so Miyamoto is in a win-win situation here, but it is still risky both ways. [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't think that Miyamoto has much to do with this new Star Fox, seeing as how Rare is developing it. The whole thing is sculpted after one of their old N64 projects, "Dinosaur Planet."

Also, Star Fox isn't a back-up for Zelda. Nintendo wouldn't try to purposely split the market on their own games. Like I said about a Zelda remake, they'd be foolish not to show confidence in their direction with Zelda.

Lastly, I don't think that Miyamoto is taking a big risk. When people hear "Zelda" they know that they're in store for something special. Anyway, I don't think that the graphics are particularly childish. If anything, they're stylish and as mentioned before, are a throwback to Zeldas of the past. I really don't see why people complain much (I know you're not, but people in general). I've never heard once, someone say that Jet Set Radio looks childish.

If people buy the game, play it and return it, then graphics don't make a difference. No matter how a game looks, it's actual gameplay mechanics end up defining its success. Once people actually get their hands on the game, they'll remember why they got it in the first place: Because it's Zelda. :p

i love remakes.i remember i played the original super mario world on the nes.i dont have nes so i got the remake.and they said a link to the past was one of the best zelda games evr (besides oot and mm.)

back to someones response about kids trying it out and hating the cel shadeed graphics.not true.i am a ten year old kid and i think that cel shaeded graphics are cool.i know i will like a game.i dont rent them first.i just go out and buy it.i think all the new games look great.

[color=coral]HyperShadow...please try to improve your post quality. That includes capital letters, spaces and correct puncutation. :)

I know you're young, but it is a requirement on our site that post quality is of a good standard. :)[/color]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Solid Snake
[color=teal]I'm sorry to bring back this thread, but I'd rather not make a new thread about it if I don't have to. The winners of E3 have been announced! I heard about it on G4 (Comcast digital cable, channel 138), and supposedly Doom III for the PC won awards for best visuals and best sound, but the best console game was none other than The Legend Of Zelda for GameCube!

Congragulations to them and all who believed in them, and a big "boo-ya" to individuals who thought it would crash and burn.[/color]

:blah:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solid Snake [/i]
[B][color=teal]I heard about it on G4 (Comcast digital cable, channel 138), and supposedly Doom III for the PC won awards for best visuals and best sound.[/color]
:blah: [/B][/QUOTE]

Heh heh, too bad when I watched the coverage they barely showed Doom 3. There was a brief clip and they went back to clammoring over that Tron version 2.0 crap.

It's good news to hear about Zelda doing well. I'm just disappointed that it won't be out until next year. Nintendo really should push for it to be a big holiday release.

[color=red][b]Dear lord. All those games look absolutly AWESOME. The only one that doesn't catch my eye is Wario. I was never a fan of Wario games. I will buy Mario Sunshine, Zelda, and the Fox game(i can't remember the name. god, i fell dumb)[/b][/color]

Guest Solid Snake
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Son Goten [/i]
[B][color=red][b]The only one that doesn't catch my eye is Wario. I was never a fan of Wario games. [/b][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=teal]To tell you the truth, I never was a fan of it either. However, when you look to see what GameCube has transformed it into, it makes it look utterly stunning. Visually, it's the most fantastic thing to happen to Wario, and that's not the only thing revolutionary. This is the first time it's appearing in 3 dimensional polygons, creating a somewhat 'Mario-like' atmosphere, in a way.

Personally, I can't wait for it. In fact, I am more eager about this game than even Mario Sunshine. But I don't want to judge either game too much, not until we explore the gameplay, the most essential aspect of a game. It seems like one of those moments where only time will tell.[/color]

:blah:

Guest ProudClod
Ive always been a great fan of Wario titles, and have played and completed all of them.

But I cant really help to notice how much it looks like it derives from Mario Sunshine and Luigis Mansion, almost as if they have both merged together.

To me this looks like a more updated version of Mario 64, just that it has its own special thing (like stars in 64). Although I like the format of Super Wario 4 on the GBA, where your adventure sticks in one place, maybe nintendo could take this into account, and include it in the next the Wario title.

Personally I see no difference between Wario and Mario games, only that one is evil, and one is good, although Super Wario World 4 on the GBA was stunning in both graphics and lifespan.

In my view, I think that many more gamers will prefer Mario Sunshine over Wario World, I know I will.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solid Snake [/i]
[B]
[color=teal]
Personally, I can't wait for it. In fact, I am more eager about this game than even Mario Sunshine. But I don't want to judge either game too much, not until we explore the gameplay, the most essential aspect of a game. It seems like one of those moments where only time will tell.[/color]

:blah: [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just hope that they don't dumb this game down like Luigi's Mansion. Admittedly, the gameplay was pretty good in Luigi, but the overall game fell short of it's expectations.

On that note, I hope that this game still retains that Wario feel.