OtakuBoards

weirdest catch...

Darkmoon

I was originally going to put this in the help with beating mewtwo thread but then it turned into a story that I had completly forgotten about and so I decided to make a whole new thread.

Here's the story:
I've beaten a mewtwo with a Lv. 65 Venusaure... by accendent:P. Hard to believe that venusaur can beat anything like that, it surprised even me! This happend in my red version, when I kinda lost my master ball. I was hoping to catch it with a ultra ball... Hey, my brother was able to do it without damageing it, and I thought that I could too... But no matter how hard I tried it just wouldn't work! So I gave up and left it alone.

I'm so angery, how did he (my brother) pull of something like that?!? I've never been even close to catching something in that cave without damageing it. He had used up his master ball and had battled that thing for hours trying to catch it, in the end he just started throwing every ball he had at it... and ended up catching it with his last ultraball. This happend a while ago (about 3 years ago accually) but I would like a resonable answer to how this was possible. He didn't press a single button, not any cheats or anything, and it worked (I was watching so I know)!

Anybody want to give me an explinationon how this is possible? [size=small]Also if anyone has their own funny story on catching a pokemon, I wouldn't mind you posting it up.[/size]

[color=indigo]Well, it all really just comes down to pure luck... It's possible to catch Mewtwo without doing any damage, it's just [i]very[/i] unlikely... Your brother seems to have gotten extremely lucky.

But yes, it seems to me like using a bunch of balls on a Pokémon will weaken it. Afterall, they do have to struggle to keep it from capturing them, so it really should tire them out after awhile. Of course, sometimes you'll catch a Pokémon with the first ball you throw... This happened to me when I was trying to catch Lugia in Gold:

I had had to reset the game three times, becuase I had either run out of balls or all of my Pokémon got knocked out (my Pokémon were about level 50, Lugia was level 70). I finally manage to put it to sleep and get it down into the red on my fourth try, and I throw an Ultra Ball at it... And it gets it, first try... When just a couple minutes ago, I had thrown about 20 balls at it (some were special ones, like Heavy Balls, though), and only a couple of them even got close to capturing it.

So you see, it really is totally based on luck, for capturing the Legendary Pokémon... There's no other way to explain it...[/color]

:rolleyes: I can't believe how lucky your brother got! I was once battling a wild level 13 Yanma. I got it down to 1HP and put it to sleep. Then I used a Friend ball on it, and it didn't work. I used two more friend balls, and they didn't work either! That was really unlucky! I once caught a wild Lapras using a Friend Ball. I also caught Unown and Zubat that way. :bawl: Why do I have to be the unlucky cat...

[color=indigo]The reason why it didn't work is probably because you used a Friend Ball... If you had used an Ultra Ball, it probably would have caught it... Friend Balls really aren't that useful, unless you're trying to catch a Pokémon that only evolves when it's friendly enough (such as Golbat). Then it helps, because it'll already be somewhat friendly with you.

It does depend a lot on what type of ball you use, for most Pokémon. For a Pokémon as weak as a level 13 Yanma, it depends a lot more on the type of ball, than it does a strong Pokémon like a level 70 Mewtwo. (I'm pretty sure that's the level Mewtwo starts at). I'm thinking you actually did get pretty lucky by catching that Lapras with a Friend Ball... Of course, I suppose Lapras isn't a Legendary Pokémon, so that would help...[/color]

[COLOR=deeppink]I've always found that changing the Balls as you use them wears them down. Like, say, I use an Ultra Ball one turn, and a Great Ball the next. Maybe even a Pokèball. And I continure in this pattern. I've caught many a Pokè using this technique.

And for some reason, Great Balls have always worked better than Ultra Balls for me.[/color]

[color=royalblue]
Sorry, I can't help, but the same thing happened to me. I used my master ball on that idiotic moltres who my charizard can rape...but anyway, it took a few tries, and after a while, when it was nearly dead, I caught it with an ultra ball. It's amazing how well a charizard can fend off a mewtwo...

-Chibi
[/color]

[color=indigo]Yeah, like I said, I think you got pretty lucky on that one... I've never been able to catch [i]anything[/i] with a Friend Ball...

And I didn't mean Friend Balls work better on Pokémon that evolve when they're friendly enough. I meant that it's good to catch them with Friend Balls so they'll already be somewhat tame, so it won't take as long for them to evolve.[/color]

• 3 weeks later...
[color=indigo]Well, I guess it's probably just up to luck.

But there was once when I was trying to catch Lugia (L40) on Silver. I caught it with a Heavy Ball. My Pokémon were around L30ish. All I did was put it to sleep (which was REALLY luck in my sense) and then slowly wear it down to red. Then I threw a Ultra Ball (or 2) and threw 2 Heavy Balls and then caught it.

I think that it's just really up to luck.[/color]

[color=blue]I wish I were that lucky on my Silver. I used almost every ball I had to catch Lugia, but I was lucky on my Yellow. I froze Mewtwo with my Blastoise's Ice Beam on the first try and caught it with a Great Ball.[/color]

well...i must say.

for capturing Lugia in Silver, i only had to reset the game twice...when i started it the third time, i got Lugia down to the red area and kept throwing heavy balls at it. after the 4-5th one, i captured it. (the great and ultra ones didnt seem to have any effect. i had thrown about 5 each)

in Gold, i captured Ho-oh after i reset the game. i got it halfway then i threw a great ball, followed by a ultra by which i captured it.

other than that...i've captured one of the Legendary ones that run around by throwing heavy balls at it. (i had to get it down to basically nothing though)

it was worth it i guess...

I caught my ho-oh with a pokeball, and my lugia with a great ball. it's good if you can lower its energy REAL low, but not too low, then you make it go to sleep. That's when you use one of the smaller balls.

well when i was captureing...

i ran into entei and quickly used that attack gengar can do to make pokemon unable to run away....MEAN LOOK....and so it wouldent run away...then i put it so sleep with hypnosis...( or was it sleep powder..hmm)....then threw ONE FAST BALL and got it.....

i used the fast ball cause..i learned from the tv show fast balls were for pokemon the were most likely to run away...right away..

i dont know how i did it but i did....i caught my suicune in a similer way

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shadow [/i]
[B]I caught a Lv. 50 Snorlax with a Poke'ball after using like 5 Great Balls. I think I saw somewhere that if you hold down a certain button combination you Poke'ball will become a Master Ball. [/B][/QUOTE]

the A button make the Pokéball shut tighter and the for the Pokéball to turn into a Masterball you press Up and the B button while the Pokéball is in mid-air.

• 2 months later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Blanko_el-miez [/i]
[B]well when i was captureing...

i ran into entei and quickly used that attack gengar can do to make pokemon unable to run away....MEAN LOOK....and so it wouldent run away...then i put it so sleep with hypnosis...( or was it sleep powder..hmm)....then threw ONE FAST BALL and got it.....

i used the fast ball cause..i learned from the tv show fast balls were for pokemon the were most likely to run away...right away..

i dont know how i did it but i did....i caught my suicune in a similer way [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, actually, I did that exact same thing once. My gengar used Mean Look on Raikou. However, then Raikou used Roar. So next time I see Raikou, Gengar will use Hypnosis, not Mean Look. It's more effective.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Impact Player [/i]
[B]the A button make the Pokéball shut tighter and the for the Pokéball to turn into a Masterball you press Up and the B button while the Pokéball is in mid-air. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=blue]I hate to tell you this, but that "cheat" never works. Never has, never will. It's all just a matter of luck. Believe me, I've run an experiment. Fifty times I tried that cheat, and fifty times, it didn't work. It's not real. But on another note, I caught a Dodrio in Silver Cave with a Pokéball here recently for breeding.[/color]

• 4 weeks later...