OtakuBoards

A very interesting Fact...

Queen Asuka

[color=crimson][size=1]This is the weirdest thing I swear I have ever heard, but I heard this on the news the other morning. Research shows that there is a substance in potato chips and french fries and other potato products that is known to cause cancer. Isn't that the craziest thing? I haven't heard much else about it, but if you know more information, I would like to hear it.[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=darkblue]That is the first time I have evr heard about that. *puts down bag of potato chips* I'd like to know where the news show got that information, it sounds really bizarre...[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=crimson][size=1]This is the weirdest thing I swear I have ever heard, but I heard this on the news the other morning. Research shows that there is a substance in potato chips and french fries and other potato products that is known to cause cancer. Isn't that the craziest thing? I haven't heard much else about it, but if you know more information, I would like to hear it.[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]My theory is: What nowadays DOESN'T cause cancer?

I'm addicted to Diet Coke, and long term Diet Coke drinkers have been showing early signs of multiple sclerosis >_< Not to mention, the aspartame in it causes cancer as well.

Hell, my grandma had breast cancer...that means I am quite likely to get THAT too! w00t!

I think that sooner or later, before they find a cure, that everyone in the world will die from cancer...and nothing else V_V;

[i]I'll post a more intelligent reply later...[/i][/color]

[color=crimson][size=1]Yeah, there are so many different types of cancer that at least one runs in almost everyone's family. Colon cancer runs on BOTH sides of my family. And I agree with you about how almost everything nowadays seems to trigger some sort of cancer type deal.

But I also think that it said if you eat large amounts of the potato products that you are more succeptable to the cancer and everything. That's just what I heard.[/color][/size]

Guest Saiyangohan2002
[color=green] What causes the 'cancer' is a chemical called Acrylomide , used in plastics. When food is cooked at a high temperature, the more Acrylomide is found. It has sparked a World health organization meeting in Geneva. However, I wouldn't put the chips down just yet. The reasearch has only proven it causes cancer in rats and mice [i] (most probably, because they would usually NEVER eat deep fried food.)[/i] . There is no proof that there is enough Acrylomide residing in our fat foods to harm humans. [/color]

I've never heard that potato chips and potato products cause cancer, and I've never heard that ketchup prevented it either. :confuse2:

anywho, I'm gonna cut back on potato chip products and junk. I wonder how long going without french fries will last....

I've heard about this sometime ago and its bizarre alright..... Its amazing what the news keep reporting about food. Drink orange juice to fight cancer, potatos and fries causes cancer, this reduces this, that increases that. What safe nowadays?!?!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B]
[color=deeppink]My theory is: What nowadays DOESN'T cause cancer?
[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=darkblue]exactly. it seems like, from what the scientists say, you can get cancer from practically [b]anything![/b]

i mean, for godssake. i was going to say that one day you won't even be able to go outside anymore, but i remembered that the ozone levels are so high in richmond (where i live) that lately the media has been telling everyone to stay inside. so we can't even do that!!

we might as well give it up for lost & all live in bubbles, like that guy on seinfeld. i'm serious.[/COLOR]

Bleh.... diet sprite >_< heh, sorry there. Anyway, I've heard tons of tidbits relating to cancer-causing foods. And I've also heard about the whole deal with garlic and orange juice supposedly being an anti-cancer agent for the heart or something. I've heard [i]anything[/i] chargrilled or cooked over a b-b-q has carcinigens (sp???) in it, like hamburgers, steaks, because of the smoke emitted by the coals or something like that. SO there's another thing to nix from your diets! Just live off of tomatoes, garlic, and ornage juice from now on and stay out of the sun. ^_^ Actually you know what I say? Live the best way you can and enjoy yourself. As long as you don't do anything extra destructive if cancer comes it comes. Just live while you can.

LOL, diet sprite is good once ya get used to it...
anyway.... hokay... the sun gives you cancer.... cell phones give you cancer.... chips cause cancer.... what the hell....
THE SUN!!! how can you avoid the sun??? yeah the next thing you know, breathing causes cancer and blinking your eyes makes it worse. the only way to completely avoid cancer is to die.
o.o o.0 0.0 agh! then computers start to give you cancer too?!?! 0.0 LOL

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
:( If that is true, then I probably put a double dose of toxins in my body today with that super size fry! Mcdonald's already is bad enough for you since it supplies you with a double dose of the amount of fat you need in your body for the day, and now I have to worry about the fries giving me cancer, -_- what a world we live in!

Anyway I agree with people on what doesn't give you cancer, apparently anything from the computer to the beverage you drink can cause it, sigh! :rolleyes:

BBQ...causes...cancer? O_o;;

I'm a dead man...

Anyway, when you consider how many varied forms of cancer there are, it's not so surprising that there are a million things that could lead to it. But, I'm sure most of those things have only minute amounts of cancer causing factors. I hope so, anyway...

-Justin

[color=darkblue]i don't have to worry so much about food as i do the sun. all the women on my mom's side are really fair, including me, & then i got this scotch-irish from my dad's side... i am pretty pale. my mom had to get cancer removed from her skin about 10 years ago, so it made me really neurotic about getting burned. i try to stay out of the sun, but i've gotten so addicted to swimming lately that now i use 45 spf sunscreen. that works fine, as long as i reapply often.

people our age need to realize that getting really tan now can be harmful in the long run. you can always tell which women at the beach tanned a lot as teenagers, b/c their skin is leathery & wrinkled. i'd rather have a more youthful appearance when i'm older & not have to worry about skin cancer than have a tan now. :)[/color]

[color=crimson][size=1]I agree with that. I mean, some people make fun of you because you are pale and everything, so I do get my dose of sun at the beginning of the summer, but only enough so that I know I have some sun by having a slight tanline! I don't like getting sunburnt because I get one very easy. I love swimming, too, and that's usually when I get roasted. It's hard for me to remember to put on sunblock. And I don't really like that leathery appearance. It's very unattractive. But yeah, I agree with you there.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The One [/i]
[B]Yeah I heard that but I also heard that Ketchup help fights against Cancer! Interesting...[/B][/QUOTE][color=indigo]Well it seems like I'm fine cause I always dip my potato chips in ketchup. :p No matter what flavor, it's all good, lol.

I think a good way to fight skin cancer is not to go outside unless it is neccessary, lol. I have no life spending all my time here in the basement, so my skin has developed a nice pasty white glow. Tuesday I go to the Warped Tour in about 95-96 degree weather outside all day, no sunblock. I come back with a nice tan, whereas my friends are charred. Two of them used sunblock, and still got burned. :p Now I just have to waste more time down here waiting for my nice healthy white glow to return. :)[/color]

Guest Dark Raven
Oh man. We may soon all be staying indoors all the time wearing oxygen masks and sanitary gloves, living in plastic bubbles. It's awful. I think the whole world was much happier when we didn't even know what cancer was and when people died suddenly they blamed it on the devil. What I mean is sure anything like fried potato products is bad for you if you eat too much of it, so maybe we should all just cut down on the McDonalds and Lays, but for gosh sake you can't stop living because your afraid. Lifes too short to spend it worrying about every little thing. ~Better to live breifly and live, then to live forever and never really live at all.~ If we all die from cancer, than so be it. We all die someday anyway.