OtakuBoards

What are your thoughts on organized religion?

Guest holymoly :D

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't do religion.... don't ask why... I've explained it three times in the last 12 hours.... lets just say I can't agree with the fact that under an organized religion you cannot have full control of your life and I don't like that.... but i do respect all religions and believe in all gods and goddesses... just not the morals...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Navi [/i]
[B]i have no religion. dude, did you copy and paste that sentence? [/B][/QUOTE]no. However, the Soviet Union under the communist regime under Lenin and Stalin blah blah blah did call religion the opium of the masses.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cera [/i]
[B]I'm Lutheran, born and raised.... [/B][/QUOTE]Do you believe in God because you were taught to believe or do you feel that you have come to believe in what you believe through experience and questioning?

[SIZE=1]Organized religion??? A bunch of conformist @ssholes, followed by a large group of trendy people..... It's corrupt, Everywhere you go there's some kind of advertisement for some "god" related thing, saying "come join us" or whatever. They try to make people think they know what they are talking about when all they are doing is reading out of a book that for all they know could have been written by some drunk prostitute with ten kids and a midget(no offense to the vertically challenged) for a spouse. The bible often uses the shepherd and his flock of sheep metaphor to show the relationship between their god and his people. Unknown to a lot ofpeople in that religion (most likely) is that sheep are dumb enough to follow their leader of the face of a cliff. Which is exactly what organized religion do, they make people all conform and believe in one thing. Then they convince the people that everything he says is right, and then the people are just like clay, the person can say anything and say their god approves and the people will follow. The whole religion needs to be kept separate from government is bullcrap. Organized religion is just a hidden government for those who dont like the actual government... those are some of my thoughts, others will come along as people yell at me for talking bad about their beliefs..[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shinji v2.0 [/i]
[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]Aethiesm is a belief in nothing, in case you didn't know. What a sweet deal, eh?

Peace, Love, and Anime
Shinji (^_^)/[/COLOR][/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]
atheism....i used to be an atheist, i dont know anymore. gah.

[b]I figure someone is bound to be right. It doesn't make sense to me to have no God.... Surely [i]one[/i] of the religons are based off of truth. Surely [i]one[/i] of them is right...

Yeh, i know God. People call me religious. I don't like that term. If one day you find out the truth, and you live it. You will be labeled religious and mocked... Kinda makes you feel sorry for the ones that don't know....[/b]

I was raised Roman Catholic, did all my sacraments, and this is my belief

[FONT=arial]Church: a place where corrupt and perverse men say they are the beacons of God, You don't need a church to pray, the kingdom of God is within you and around you[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]There is no heaven or hell....this is hell, when we die we have peace...our "heaven"[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]Love your fellow man: Then why preach that those that don't meet "moral ( if you want to call it that)" standards are the plagues of soceity....(ie.....homosexuals )[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]My personal favorite......charitable causes....... I have yet to see the fruit of that labor...[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]"GOD" is a he......God is nothing...it's an entity[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]Can I get an "Amen"[/FONT]

Religion is such a weird thing. There are so many elements of truth that religion relies upon...elements which have been disproven time and time again throughout history.

I think that many people who follow a religion don't necessarily even believe in God as such. But I think that religion offers comfort to people...because it somehow removes responsibility fromm them..."It's all God's plan" and such.

It's all very well to say [i]"at least ONE religion must be right"[/i] but frankly, IF one is right, nobody really knows.

If Christianity didn't exist, and you tried to introduce it in modern times, people would laugh at you for making up such ridiculous stories. I think that many people follow it because it has been put upon them by family upbringing.

Having said that, I feel that religion is fine in terms of religious lifestyle...if you feel that you are more comfortable in that lifestyle.

But I think that taking religion as fact can be a little dangerous, because to take many of those elements as fact is to essentially deny what we already know about the world.

Sure, we don't have all the answers...but that doesn't mean we need to "fill the gaps" with myth in order to make sense of the world.

I am fully prepared to say "I don't know everything about the world, but I want to continue studying it and one day I might learn more".

Having said all of the above, I still love fantasy and magic...and I think that these things have a place in our cultures and lives. But I think that as time goes by and people become more educated, religion of all kinds will slowly die off, simply because of its continual failure to provide factual evidence.

I am happier without religion, I have an open mind...and a broad perspective on the world. Religion closes so many doors to the mind...and ultimately restricts one's ability to understand others and have a balance with the rest of the world.

If you choose religion, then great...as long as you don't accept it as fact without evidence. Even if you do, I don't care. Just as long as you are happy with your life and have a sense of morality...I think that those things are what really matter in life.

religion is a belief, something not prooven real, and if it's not prooven I can't put my full faith in it... sorry, doesn't work that way for me....

off the subject; plus Christians think it's a sin to be homosexual and I don't think I want to be living sin..... so thats out of the question...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]
off the subject; plus Christians think it's a sin to be homosexual ... [/B][/QUOTE]

christianity has got to be one of the most narrow-minded religions i have ever experienced!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Matt.D [/i]
[B][color=rainbow] I don't like topics like this, cuz on another board, the topic turned into a flame war about who's right, and a bunch of ppl got banned...I was one of them...:( [/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

While there is little doubt these days that religion can't be taken as fact, I think that anyone with relevant and insightful comments is welcome to say their piece.

As long as people don't become aggressive or post unreasonable posts, then there is no problem with an entirely open discussion.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by holymoly :D [/i]
[B]Do you believe in God because you were taught to believe or do you feel that you have come to believe in what you believe through experience and questioning? [/B][/QUOTE]

Sometimes, I'm not sure.

Ever since before I could understand it, I've been told about things like "sin" and "redemption" and a whole host of other Christian buzzwords. I've been told that when you have"true faith," you're never worried about anything, and you're never unhappy. That's a load of garbage.

I've grown up being told what to believe in, what to do, and what to say. Some of it makes sense to me, and I follow it. A heck of a lot of it makes little or no sense at all.

So I ask questions. Most of the time, I don't really get answers. Probably, there aren't any clear answers.

But what I do understand, I believe in totally. What I don't understand, I try to just accept.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PiroMunkie [/i]
[B][SIZE=1]Organized religion??? A bunch of conformist @ssholes, followed by a large group of trendy people..... [/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

Hahaha, you obviously listen to punk music. Conformist this, conformist that, for all we all know you're just conforming to punk music because it's considered cool these days.

Religion is what you make of it. But,i do believe that there is too much politics in modern religion, and when i say modern i mean from 1700 on. **** ,before that even.If you dont understand what i mean by "politics" im sorry but im not going to take the time to explain what is meant by that.

religion.. i don't get it.. so you supposedly have a god.... that is all powerful... but he never did squat for me...

thats why i'm not religious.. but if people ask I am either druid or wiccan... no one god can control everything....thats why there are many gods and many goddesses

Guest Voodookanaka
In the Words of Wen the eternally suprised :

[QUOTE]The only difference between a well established religion and a bunch of mystical mumbo jumbo made up on the spot...is a fish[/QUOTE]