OtakuBoards

What are your thoughts on organized religion?

Guest holymoly :D

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]"Hell" is something created by religion -- it is simply not a proven fact of life. Whereas ice cream is a proven fact.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

But that really serves no purpose. Here's a more in-depth analogy, perhaps you'll understand this one -

A person is standing behind you. You do not know he is there, completely unaware of his existance - you do not "believe" he is there because you don't know of it. (This is the equivalent of being alive. The person whom you don't know behind you is the equivalent of hell)

Now let's say that person reaches out and punches you. This is the equivalent of dying and going to hell. You never believed the person (hell) was there, but it still got you in the end.

If you'd like to debate that one be my guest, but I don't think it can be done. Just because you don't believe something doesn't mean it doesn't exist - I don't believe in aliens, but that doesn't mean they don't exist at all. I just don't believe they do. When they beam me up and probe me, well, I'll be darned.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by zanza [/i]
[B]

But that really serves no purpose. Here's a more in-depth analogy, perhaps you'll understand this one -

A person is standing behind you. You do not know he is there, completely unaware of his existance - you do not "believe" he is there because you don't know of it. (This is the equivalent of being alive. The person whom you don't know behind you is the equivalent of hell)

Now let's say that person reaches out and punches you. This is the equivalent of dying and going to hell. You never believed the person (hell) was there, but it still got you in the end.

If you'd like to debate that one be my guest, but I don't think it can be done. Just because you don't believe something doesn't mean it doesn't exist - I don't believe in aliens, but that doesn't mean they don't exist at all. I just don't believe they do. When they beam me up and probe me, well, I'll be darned. [/B][/QUOTE]

You know, that actually makes sense to me.

[B]

If you'd like to debate that one be my guest, but I don't think it can be done. Just because you don't believe something doesn't mean it doesn't exist - I don't believe in aliens, but that doesn't mean they don't exist at all. I just don't believe they do. When they beam me up and probe me, well, I'll be darned. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue]Okay well, I understand what you're saying, however, it can work both ways.

See...you're saying that you don't believe in aliens, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. That's a good point.

And yet you believe in God, even though there is no proof at all of his existence? Your argument can be turned around to work for me, because I can simply say "You might believe in God, but that doesn't mean he exists".

But for me, even the concept of aliens is more realistic than the concept of God.

The concept of God is very much like a fairy tale...it strains credibility so much so, that's it's extremely difficult to "believe". [i]Especially[/i] when, after many years, I have not yet seen proof.

All I see is people saying "Well there MUST be an explanation for that phenomenon...let's label it as 'God's Work'".[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cera [/i]
[B]

Yeh, my science teacher has a different definition for it, and I gotta learn it or I'm gonna fail. ;)

As for the rest, isn't that what I just said? Evolution, Big Bang Theory, Special creation...all beliefs that can't be proven. Ya gotta have a heck of a lot of faith to believe any of them. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue]I don't necessarily agree with the Big Bang Theory. However, it is the most logical explanation thusfar.

And yes, as Transtic correctly points out, the Big Bang is merely a theory based on scientific study and observation. I feel that at least the Big Bang theory is based upon [i]some[/i] fact, unlike most religion.

In addition, evolution is actually not a theory. We still don't truly know everything about it, however, we know that evolution is a proven fact.

I am much more inclined to side with proven facts and knowledge than side with a mere "belief".

Oh and as a side note to Cera: I [i]will[/i] call creationism rubbish, because that's what it is. It has been disproven many, many times throughout history. Even mainstream religions no longer hold to the belief of creationism. You should definitely read "Telling Lies for God". It actually goes through the history of creationism and why it has been drisproven and subsequently dumped by most large churches.[/color]

[B]

[color=darkblue][i]Especially[/i] when, after many years, I have not yet seen proof.
[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Of course you haven't. Religion doesn't work that way. If there was undeniable proof of any God, it wouldn't be the blind faith you're supposed to have.

Guest DarkElf
:devil: :flaming: :devil: :flaming: :devil: :flaming: :devil: :flaming:

Screw blind faith.......blind faith is for sheep......

I prefer to be master of my own destiny, not some faceless 'god' that may or may not exist........

Like I've said before....

"You can play the cards you're dealt in life. Me, I'd prefer to stab the dealer........"

you may have some belief in 'god' or 'Allah', or whatever name that deity chooses to go by (or is it the name that mankind chose for this non-existant deity?), I choose to believe in my ownself and sense of self, not trust mty life in the hands of some benevolent creater who is very venegeful and vain (worship only me or go to 'hell') as well as nothing but one big contradiction......

All this from the man who was raised in a mormon household (godd**m cultists........)

[B][color=darkblue]I don't necessarily agree with the Big Bang Theory. However, it is the most logical explanation thusfar.

Oh and as a side note to Cera: I [i]will[/i] call creationism rubbish, because that's what it is. It has been disproven many, many times throughout history. Even mainstream religions no longer hold to the belief of creationism. You should definitely read "Telling Lies for God". It actually goes through the history of creationism and why it has been drisproven and subsequently dumped by most large churches.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

James, you are one terrific debator... My school team could use someone like you....;)

I shall be sure to look for that book on my next visit to the library. Although I'd better tell you that I'm not much for nonfiction... I'll make a point of reading it.

Again, I'm going to ask.... Has anyone read the Ishmael books? They aren't a Christian series--in fact, they could almost be considered anti-Christian-- but I found them very thought-provoking.... I urge anyone with the slightest bit of interest to read them...

[B]See...you're saying that you don't believe in aliens, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. That's a good point.

And yet you believe in God, even though there is no proof at all of his existence? Your argument can be turned around to work for me, because I can simply say "You might believe in God, but that doesn't mean he exists".[/B][/QUOTE]

Work for you? ....how?

It can't work for either of us. There is no proof aliens exist and there's no proof God exists. One of us believes in God but not aliens, and the other vice versa. How does that work for you? How can you turn that against me? If you could, then I could do the exact same to you, as you can see that it's an equal balance there.

The point all boils down to the fact that different people believe different things. I think aliens are just as unbelievable as God is to you people (people have had sightings of God, too. I don't believe them however, I'm just making a point).

OKAY, to all those who are saying that there is no proof that God exists, and that without the proof it's false- [b]prove that he [i]doesn't[/i] exist[/b].

[QUOTE]All this from the man who was raised in a mormon household (godd**m cultists........)[/QUOTE]

I'm going to address this issue straightforward. I've read back a bit, and someone had the audacity to say that Mormons weren't Christian, simply because their beliefs were more 'radical' than his. What is a Christian- someone who believes in Jesus Christ. Now, if the the title of the denomination at hand is called The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints, it is pure logic to say that the Mormons believe in Jesus Christ, therefore making them CHRISTians. I don't recall ANYONE here having the authority to decide who is and is not a Christian because of personal differences.

FURTHERMORE- how [b]dare[/b] you call Mormons cultists? I don't know or care what kind of household you were raised in, but I will tell you this: I am and NEVER will be a [b]cultist[/b]. How dare you insult me that way, because of your own lack of understanding and overabundance of ignorance? Your own judgements do not determine an entire denomination, and doing so demonstrates your close-mindedness. The Mormons were [i]never[/i] cultists, and I challenge [b][i]any and EVERYONE[/b][/i] to counter this statement, as I have read and learned everything for myself concerning this matter, and I tell you this now: you will be proven wrong. I have proof, go ahead and throw any and all 'anti-Mormon' crap at me, I dare you......

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Anna [/i]
[B]OKAY, to all those who are saying that there is no proof that God exists, and that without the proof it's false- [b]prove that he [i]doesn't[/i] exist[/b].

I'm going to address this issue straightforward. I've read back a bit, and someone had the audacity to say that Mormons weren't Christian, simply because their beliefs were more 'radical' than his. What is a Christian- someone who believes in Jesus Christ. Now, if the the title of the denomination at hand is called The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints, it is pure logic to say that the Mormons believe in Jesus Christ, therefore making them CHRISTians. I don't recall ANYONE here having the authority to decide who is and is not a Christian because of personal differences.

FURTHERMORE- how [b]dare[/b] you call Mormons cultists? I don't know or care what kind of household you were raised in, but I will tell you this: I am and NEVER will be a [b]cultist[/b]. How dare you insult me that way, because of your own lack of understanding and overabundance of ignorance? Your own judgements do not determine an entire denomination, and doing so demonstrates your close-mindedness. The Mormons were [i]never[/i] cultists, and I challenge [b][i]any and EVERYONE[/b][/i] to counter this statement, as I have read and learned everything for myself concerning this matter, and I tell you this now: you will be proven wrong. I have proof, go ahead and throw any and all 'anti-Mormon' crap at me, I dare you...... [/B][/QUOTE]

Me scared now.... I'm not anti-any religion.... I'm just skeptical about all religions... just so people know... wow... I shoudl have just said this to begin with....

And about prooving that he doesn't exist.... You can't.... thats the things with theorys and beliefs... you can't proove they do exist, you can't proove they don't...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]

Me scared now.... I'm not anti-any religion.... I'm just skeptical about all religions... just so people know... wow... I shoudl have just said this to begin with....

And about prooving that he doesn't exist.... You can't.... thats the things with theorys and beliefs... you can't proove they do exist, you can't proove they don't... [/B][/QUOTE]
exactly

i think ppl created religion to give themselves sumthing to believe in and sumthing to blame evrything on. i personnally think its Bullshit, thats why i dont practice a religion. i do celebrate christmas, tho, cause who can say no to presents? :D :D :D

[B]

Work for you? ....how?

It can't work for either of us. There is no proof aliens exist and there's no proof God exists. One of us believes in God but not aliens, and the other vice versa. How does that work for you? How can you turn that against me? If you could, then I could do the exact same to you, as you can see that it's an equal balance there.

The point all boils down to the fact that different people believe different things. I think aliens are just as unbelievable as God is to you people (people have had sightings of God, too. I don't believe them however, I'm just making a point). [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue]I'm merely stating that you can't use the classic "just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist" argument to give merit to your belief in God.

I am only saying that I could use the very same argument to validate a belief in fairies or goblins or unicorns. I'm saying that it works for any scenario you care to think up.

Cera: Thanks for your latest reply. I'm glad that you didn't flame me, as I thought that my statement would have been very contentious.

Your response proves to me that you can think with an open mind...and that you are really a reasonable person. I haven't spoken to you much on these boards...even though we've both been here for a long time. But in a way, this religion thread has allowed me to notice yet another great member of the boards. :)[/color]

[B][color=darkblue]Cera: Thanks for your latest reply. I'm glad that you didn't flame me, as I thought that my statement would have been very contentious.

Your response proves to me that you can think with an open mind...and that you are really a reasonable person. I haven't spoken to you much on these boards...even though we've both been here for a long time.

But in a way, this religion thread has allowed me to notice yet another great member of the boards. :)[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

It's done more than that....

I was a little surprised when I first saw this thread. I didn't expect it to go very far. But the truth is, we've been able to have an intelligent conversation/debate about a slightly uncomfortable subject without anyone getting too upset, or going off topic.

It's good to know that people here respect each other enough to say they disagree with someone, and explain why in a mature way.

And James: I would never flame someone simply because of a difference of opinion or belief. As for the rest...I'm flattered.

[B]I'm merely stating that you can't use the classic "just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist" argument to give merit to your belief in God.

I am only saying that I could use the very same argument to validate a belief in fairies or goblins or unicorns. I'm saying that it works for any scenario you care to think up.[/B][/QUOTE]

First paragraph: Duh. I never did. My analogy was only to make it clear that just because you don't believe in hell, doesn't mean you won't end up there.

Second paragraph: yes, that is essentially what my second paragraph said right from the start.

Argument over.

[B]

First paragraph: Duh. I never did. My analogy was only to make it clear that just because you don't believe in hell, doesn't mean you won't end up there.

Second paragraph: yes, that is essentially what my second paragraph said right from the start.

Argument over. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue]Yeah, I understand what your analogy was designed to do, I'm just saying that a similar analogy could be used for anything...so it doesn't really make an argument one way or the other.

Cera: I agree with you there. It's great to see the majority of people arguing in a mature way, without resorting to name calling or something of that nature.[/color]

[b]Okay, first off. Evolution is a theory. I was shocked when James said it was fact, there has been controversy over that fer ages. The dude who thought it up, Darwin, even denounced the whole thing.

I guess you could also say religon is a theory, that's fair enough.
You could also fairly say, that evolution is a religon. Why not? It has no more evidence than religon.

Both are sensible, if you give them enough thought. I mean, most of us were born in this world less than 20 years ago... So who are we to say what happened thousands, millions, billions, or even 80 years ago? I don't even think the world has been around fer billions of years. Or millions. I think that's jes' a handy figure that evolutionists thought up, for their theory to work. Every idea you have on the beginning of this whole 'life' thing would have to have been told to you by someone. And that someone prolly heard it from someone else, and so on. The universe was made somehow. By the big bang, or maybe some other theory that no one has thought up. Or maybe by God.

I choose to beleive God. Why? I have evidence of it. I can feel Him, pray to Him, and so on. I get comfort, love, joy and peace. It's supernatural.
Now, someone could say that i'm merely imaging these things, but they wouldn't know, cuz they don't experiance it.
Also, someone could say it's merely psychological, and rhat i find comfort in merely thinking that i have a concept of what life is.
I really doubt that it's pshychological, that's nonsense. And you can't deny that what i feel is real. It is. And it all comes from God, i know it.
And that is the whole reason i ever replied to this topic, is because i know God. I was hoping you guys could find Him too, and share in this joy. He is awesome.

I didn't reply because i felt obligated, or responsible fer my 'religon'. I didn't reply because i wanted to force my opinions on you. I didn't reply to prove a point.

Anyway, that's my point. I know God is real. I don't know why. I wasn't around in the beginning of the universe, nor was i around when all the other religons and theories were thought up. I don't know why someone made that mistake. But i know God is real. What can i say?[/b]

[QUOTE][b]But i know God is real. What can i say?[/b][/QUOTE]

Glad to know Zanza and I aren't the only ones here who think that :D
heh, you can't say anything, it's all up to the individual what they choose. All you can do is just stick to what you know and not worry about what other people say....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Desert Shadow [/i]
[B][b]Okay, first off. Evolution is a theory. I was shocked when James said it was fact, there has been controversy over that fer ages. The dude who thought it up, Darwin, even denounced the whole thing.

I guess you could also say religon is a theory, that's fair enough.
You could also fairly say, that evolution is a religon. Why not? It has no more evidence than religon.

Both are sensible, if you give them enough thought. I mean, most of us were born in this world less than 20 years ago... So who are we to say what happened thousands, millions, billions, or even 80 years ago? I don't even think the world has been around fer billions of years. Or millions. I think that's jes' a handy figure that evolutionists thought up, for their theory to work. Every idea you have on the beginning of this whole 'life' thing would have to have been told to you by someone. And that someone prolly heard it from someone else, and so on. The universe was made somehow. By the big bang, or maybe some other theory that no one has thought up. Or maybe by God.

I choose to beleive God. Why? I have evidence of it. I can feel Him, pray to Him, and so on. I get comfort, love, joy and peace. It's supernatural.
Now, someone could say that i'm merely imaging these things, but they wouldn't know, cuz they don't experiance it.
Also, someone could say it's merely psychological, and rhat i find comfort in merely thinking that i have a concept of what life is.
I really doubt that it's pshychological, that's nonsense. And you can't deny that what i feel is real. It is. And it all comes from God, i know it.
And that is the whole reason i ever replied to this topic, is because i know God. I was hoping you guys could find Him too, and share in this joy. He is awesome.

I didn't reply because i felt obligated, or responsible fer my 'religon'. I didn't reply because i wanted to force my opinions on you. I didn't reply to prove a point.

Anyway, that's my point. I know God is real. I don't know why. I wasn't around in the beginning of the universe, nor was i around when all the other religons and theories were thought up. I don't know why someone made that mistake. But i know God is real. What can i say?[/b] [/B][/QUOTE]

First off let me just say that what I am gonna say is in no way denouncing you or your religion or your belief in god...

With that said, it has been prooven the world has been around for millions of years... the Dinosaurs lived approximately 65 million years ago. Science has prooved that in more than 1 occation, thats why it's accepted by many many historians... I'm not sure what the estimated age of the earth is but it's more than 65 million years old... Dunno how much older but that is the least I know of...

Second, when you say you can feel god... there is another explanation, but like I said, it's in no way denouncing what you may or may not feel. I'm not you, I dunno... but I once did believe god fully existed in all his might... and I could feel him, or so I thought. Studies have shown that if one truely believes in something, his or her mind will attempt to make it so... Your mind may be maming you feel him... whats a feeling but a work of the brain... your mind is VERY powerful and create things that don't exist for you because you want to believe it exists so much. Your mind does play tricks on you.... esspecially when that much desire exists in you. but like I said, I'm not you, nor do I know what you felt... I'm just telling you my personal experience with those thoughts and feelings.... as well as others... but there are people that will agree with you and that will agree with me... we're both right or wrong, depending on how you look at it...

I respect everyone's feeling and thoughts toward a religion and ANYTHING for that matter... what you think is what you think, same with me... Never will I denounce that god exists... I cannot denounce something exists when I have no proof that he doesn't and/or does, and I don't... Belief is one of the strongest feelings the human mind can produce... it's also one of the most skeptical... The most important thing is that it's your life, live it the way YOU want to... and I shall do the same.

[B]With that said, it has been prooven the world has been around for millions of years... the Dinosaurs lived approximately 65 million years ago. Science has prooved that in more than 1 occation, thats why it's accepted by many many historians... I'm not sure what the estimated age of the earth is but it's more than 65 million years old... Dunno how much older but that is the least I know of...[/B][/QUOTE]

I once read a book pertaining to dinosaurs and the Bible. One of the interesting theories was this: that the Devil planted the bones to lead Christians astray. This wasn't the only theory in the book mind you, and I don't actually believe it, but it's something to ponder.

And while we're discussing good debators: I'd say Transtic (since he's on the opposite "team", heh) is better than James, since Transtic doesn't throw his ego around so much.

[B]

I once read a book pertaining to dinosaurs and the Bible. One of the interesting theories was this: that the Devil planted the bones to lead Christians astray. This wasn't the only theory in the book mind you, and I don't actually believe it, but it's something to ponder.

And while we're discussing good debators: I'd say Transtic (since he's on the opposite "team", heh) is better than James, since Transtic doesn't throw his ego around so much. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, I remember you telling me of that book. I don't believe it either but it's only a belief.... I'm really starting to not like that word now... anyway.... Uh yes.. do I have such an ego?... perhaps I do.. not so big though... :(

Jimmy-kun... checkith your PMs-ith if you haven't already that is :p -ith hahaha I know you love that smilie so much :)

[b]K,..I hardly talk here, but I [i]do[/i] talk..and I was just thinking about the Genesis thing....
Christians say God created the Universe and all in it in 6 days,..and then he rested...
I don't know what Jewish people say...althought I assume it's the same as they beleieve in the Pentateuch, right?
Muslims say God created the universe in 6 days as well. But he didn't rest after that. (We think it an insult to say that God needs to rest)
Science though,...says it was created in millions and millions of years...
I personally, believe in both science and religion, and try to find a solution 'therein' as my uncle'd say...
so...I was wondering about your standpoints...
6 days,...or billions of years...?
(btw, I have no clue on this whatsoever, but I think I'll stay on the '6 Days' side)[/b]

Well, this is something we've discussed during Theology Class.....

God created the world in six days. But he created it with the illusion of age. If everything had been spiffy and new, no one would have been able to survive. So he created fully-grown trees, adult animals, fertile soil, etc. You see the same thing when he created Adam and Eve as adults....

Note to AJ2K1 4 Life: We believe that God rested on the seventh day--not because HE needed to, but because he knew WE did. Considerate of Him, ne?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by AJ2K1 4 Life [/i]
[B][b]K,..I hardly talk here, but I [i]do[/i] talk..and I was just thinking about the Genesis thing....
Christians say God created the Universe and all in it in 6 days,..and then he rested...
I don't know what Jewish people say...althought I assume it's the same as they beleieve in the Pentateuch, right?
Muslims say God created the universe in 6 days as well. But he didn't rest after that. (We think it an insult to say that God needs to rest)
Science though,...says it was created in millions and millions of years...
I personally, believe in both science and religion, and try to find a solution 'therein' as my uncle'd say...
so...I was wondering about your standpoints...
6 days,...or billions of years...?
(btw, I have no clue on this whatsoever, but I think I'll stay on the '6 Days' side)[/b] [/B][/QUOTE]

A'ight look, where does it say anywhere that God's 'day' is 24 hours? He is the very creator of our time, and 6 days could be anything; 6 minutes, 6 years, 600,000 years, etc. A day to us could be a blink of His eye. So if one day is one blink or whatever, imagine how long a day would be 'His' time. All in all, the universe etc etc. probably was created in millions and millions of years- to us. Time has no meaning when you're immortal, think about it. The whole 6 days thing was probably given for a small analogy of what really was, like after a couple-thousand-years segment He created this one thing; or one 'day'. And so on.

[B]do I have such an ego?... perhaps I do.. not so big though... :(
[/B][/QUOTE]

You read it wrong. The reason you're a better debator, in my opinion, is because you DON'T have a big ego. Whereas James does.