OtakuBoards

What are your thoughts on organized religion?

Guest holymoly :D

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cera [/i]
[B]Note to AJ2K1 4 Life: We believe that God rested on the seventh day--not because HE needed to, but because he knew WE did. Considerate of Him, ne? [/B][/QUOTE]

Ironically enough, I always end up working on Sundays.... -_______-; He's not very considerate of me! BAH! ::cries:: hehehe

the human being is naturally lazy, why does it need a full day to rest.... an average person sleeps 30 year sof their life! that alot of rest if I do say so myself.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[B]Well, this is something we've discussed during Theology Class.....

God created the world in six days. But he created it with the illusion of age. If everything had been spiffy and new, no one would have been able to survive. So he created fully-grown trees, adult animals, fertile soil, etc. You see the same thing when he created Adam and Eve as adults....

Note to AJ2K1 4 Life: We believe that God rested on the seventh day--not because HE needed to, but because he knew WE did. Considerate of Him, ne? [/B][/QUOTE]

[b]Thankyee! Two ppl who understand me!
I think when it said he rested, it probably meant he well, basiaclly,..stopped..I mean if I stop working,..it's like I rested, right? Meh,..who knows..[/b]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Anna [/i]
[B]A'ight look, where does it say anywhere that God's 'day' is 24 hours? He is the very creator of our time, and 6 days could be anything; 6 minutes, 6 years, 600,000 years, etc. A day to us could be a blink of His eye. So if one day is one blink or whatever, imagine how long a day would be 'His' time. All in all, the universe etc etc. probably was created in millions and millions of years- to us. Time has no meaning when you're immortal, think about it. The whole 6 days thing was probably given for a small analogy of what really was, like after a couple-thousand-years segment He created this one thing; or one 'day'. And so on.[/B][/QUOTE]

[b]That's what I was thinking but I guess I sorta well,..'overthought' the whole thing,..meh,..guess your right...
btw, we believe that God is outside of time...I mean, he invented time when he invented the universe, right?
So,..if he invented time,..there was no time before he invented it,..so he would of been outside of its influence before, right? So, he still should be outside its influence...I mean, God didn't exactly say:
I'm bored,...I know,..I'll create the Universe!
I dunno,...I just confused myself...
NOTE TO SELF: Don't think too loudly...[/b]

I'm christian. I belive in God because (work with me ok I failed spelling) I've had so many prayers anserewed and I can feel him. he is the most important thing in my life, I will pray for anyone who askes me to pray for them (and I won't be nosey and ask why you need prayer) I have seen prayer keep my parents from getting divorced, heal my dog when he was really sick. If you going to tell me yyou don't belive in God them I"m going to pray for you even more, becouse the devil has a hold on you. people who don't belive in the devil don't belive in god and vice versa. with out god there would be no satan. I beleve that we have evolved from Adam and Eve, but we didn't come from any ape, monkey or gorrillia. Yes we have changed, we adaped to different climents and way of living.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Anna [/i]
[B]

A'ight look, where does it say anywhere that God's 'day' is 24 hours? He is the very creator of our time, and 6 days could be anything; 6 minutes, 6 years, 600,000 years, etc. A day to us could be a blink of His eye. So if one day is one blink or whatever, imagine how long a day would be 'His' time. All in all, the universe etc etc. probably was created in millions and millions of years- to us. Time has no meaning when you're immortal, think about it. The whole 6 days thing was probably given for a small analogy of what really was, like after a couple-thousand-years segment He created this one thing; or one 'day'. And so on. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeh, but everywhere in Genesis, when it talks about a 'day' it is referring to a standard day, not several hundred thousand years.

"It was evening, and it was morning, the first day..." Not, "It was evening and morning and evening and morning, and evening and morning again, and what do you know, that durn morning kept coming, and after a while, a day had passed..."

Now, sometimes a bad day at school feels like several hundred years, but that's got nothing to do with this....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by duckydoodle [/i]
[B]I'm christian. I believe in God because I've had so many prayers answered and I can feel him. He is the most important thing in my life, and I will pray for anyone who asks me to pray for them (and I won't be nosey and ask why you need prayer) I have seen prayer keep my parents from getting divorced, and heal my dog when he was really sick. If you going to tell me you don't believe in God, them I'm going to pray for you even more, because the devil has a hold on you. People who don't believe in the devil don't belive in god and vice versa.Without god there would be no satan. I believe that we have evolved from Adam and Eve, but we didn't come from any ape, monkey or gorrillia. Yes we have changed, we adapted to different climates and different waya of living. [/B][/QUOTE]
[b]Yeah! Bang on the point! BTW, is it true that Christians believe that Satan was an angel before?
(This is no stupid anything, I believe in getting facts straight from a pure source, eg; stuff about so-and-so from them, and not anyone else)[/b]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by AJ2K1 4 Life [/i]
[B]
[b]Yeah! Bang on the point! BTW, is it true that Christians believe that Satan was an angel before?
(This is no stupid anything, I believe in getting facts straight from a pure source, eg; stuff about so-and-so from them, and not anyone else)[/b] [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, this is true....

The greatest of all angels, Lucifer thought to rival God Himself in power, and was cast out of the heavens, never to return...

AJ2K1 4 Life, yes Satan was gods most beautiful angel (when he was called lusifer...spelling?) then he got jealouse of god, and tried to take over heaven. then god threw him and his followers out of heaven (I suggest you read revulations last book in the bible) and into hell

[b]Oh,...I'm a Muslim, see? And we have the story different...
We think:
Satan (or Shaytaan as we call him) used to be called Lucifer (or Iblees according to us) was God's 'right-hand man', ie; God's second in command. He wasn't an angel. As all angels always obey. They don't have freedom of choice, you see. He was a Jinn. (the equivalent of a devil) Now Jinn can be either good or bad. It's upto them. They are beings made of fire. (But Hell'll still hurt them. eg; I slap you. MY hand is of skin. Your face is made of skin. The slap still hurts, right?)
Anyways,..When God made Adam, he told all other beings to bow down to Adam as a gesture of respect. All bowed down except Iblees, who refused saying that Fire was better than plain ol' Earth...so he was banished...
Now, (this next bit shows his inferiority to God) Iblees was pretty ticked off about being damned for eternity for not bowing down to man, so he asked God for a challenge.
He asked that he be granted life until the Day of Judgement, and the permission to lead astray the children of Adam to show Man's inferiority to the Jinn, and to get some revenge...Of course, then he changed his name having been given God's permission...Did that make sense to y'all?[/b]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Flik [/i]
[B]I am a Catholic. I was born and raised that way. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ahh you should watch DOGMA :) wait... no.... on secodn thought, you might not want to... many a Catholic bashing in that there film... irronically enough, Kevin Smith, the director IS Catholic.. but one with a very good sense of humor and understanding :) Something I wish EVERYONE had...

Speaking of DOGMA.... EVERYONE should watch this movie... i swear to Kami-sama herself that you would totally understand me better if yuo have.. and it's funny.... all at the same time....

And AJ2K... I got it all up till the last part... no understand that...

On a side note: I think that people go to hell not because Satan did something, it's because humans are well... imperfect (which is odd, because god created man in his image or whatever, and that says nothing good about god... hey, according to AJ2K, I think Satan was right... he shouldn't bow before our stupid selves) anyway, humans are imperfect.... exactly why i think the bible is so very exagerated in all ways but one... and I had something else to say but I can't remember it now....

Anyway, so do people out there actually believe in this Televangelist BS? (you know... the dudes on TV asking for your pledge for whatever... and their "healing" BS.... If god really liked you, he would give some money!)

[b]Number 1,..Satan is EVIL! EVIL I tell ya, EVIL!
Number 2,...God wanted all to bow to Adam cause he was the best creation (aside the pollution, war, and nuclear crap)
Number 3,...I wouldn't mind being bowed at by angels and firepeople, would you?
Number 4,...I didn't explain the last bit well,..oh wells, someone else might be able to explain better...but bascially, he challenged God's final word and totoal and complete authority
Number 5,...Ain't these custom bullet points cool?[/b]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]Anyway, so do people out there actually believe in this Televangelist BS? (you know... the dudes on TV asking for your pledge for whatever... and their "healing" BS.... If god really liked you, he would give some money!) [/B][/QUOTE]

"Send monopoly money to your favorite TV evangelist."

I sure don't....

[B]

Yeh, but everywhere in Genesis, when it talks about a 'day' it is referring to a standard day, not several hundred thousand years.

"It was evening, and it was morning, the first day..." Not, "It was evening and morning and evening and morning, and evening and morning again, and what do you know, that durn morning kept coming, and after a while, a day had passed..."

Now, sometimes a bad day at school feels like several hundred years, but that's got nothing to do with this.... [/B][/QUOTE]

But who says that a day was only 24 hours long during the duration of the creation? (heh, that rhymes:D)Sure, a means of measurement could be a morning and evening, but how much space was in between? Look at all the other planets 'days', some last weeks until it's rotated one full time (or something like that, look it up if ya want the specifics).

Guest DarkElf
:devil: :flaming: :devil: :flaming: :devil: :flaming: :devil: :flaming:

First of all.......

I believe ALL religions are cults...that's my opinion (a bunch of people gathering together to worship some deity or whatnot, that seems to me to be a cult)

Second of all.......

You dare to say s**t to me about giving my opinion about mormons being cultists ? I thought that intelligent people posted, but if you have the nerve to ridicule me and berate me for having my opinion, well........whatever.........just water off a duck's back.....

[QUOTE]FURTHERMORE- how dare you call Mormons cultists? I don't know or care what kind of household you were raised in, but I will tell you this: I am and NEVER will be a cultist. How dare you insult me that way, because of your own lack of understanding and overabundance of ignorance? Your own judgements do not determine an entire denomination, and doing so demonstrates your close-mindedness. The Mormons were never cultists, and I challenge any and EVERYONE to counter this statement, as I have read and learned everything for myself concerning this matter, and I tell you this now: you will be proven wrong. I have proof, go ahead and throw any and all 'anti-Mormon' crap at me, I dare you......[/QUOTE]

anti-mormon crap..........sheesh...........

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DarkElf [/i]
[B]:devil: :flaming: :devil: :flaming: :devil: :flaming: :devil: :flaming:
You dare to say s**t to me about giving my opinion about mormons being cultists ? I thought that intelligent people posted, but if you have the nerve to ridicule me and berate me for having my opinion, well........whatever.........just water off a duck's back.....
[/B][/QUOTE]

"godd**m cultists" it was. Even most non-religious people find the term 'godd***" EXTREMELY insulting. Saying that you think ([i][b]think[/i][/b]) that the Mormons are cultists is one thing. But you said more than that; you turned it into an insult which I had and have [b]EVERY PLACE[/b] to respond to.

Well you can say mormon's are cultist, she can say her own opinion... you just contradict yourself... You want to express your opinion, but she can't express hers?... it makes no sense...

Essentially ALL religions are cults... but if you are gonna say that, all non-religious people are in cults to.. they choose not to believe in a certain diety... but it's still a group of you who all believe the same thing, thus it is a cult...

A cult is not nessisarily a bad thing.. a cult is a very vague word... a cult: a group of people who all believe in the same thing... whether that same thing be a god, gods, or no god... it's still a cult... and it's not a bad thing

Please don't insult other religions... I don't care if you want to express your opinion or not... you must realize that your opinion should sometimes be kept to yourself or said in a non-rude manner... There IS a limit to freedom of speech... and there is such thing called RESPECT.... i suggest you use it... maybe she'll do the same to you. Just because you don't agree with someone/something, doesn't mean you can't disrespect it...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by zanza [/i]
[B]

You read it wrong. The reason you're a better debator, in my opinion, is because you DON'T have a big ego. Whereas James does. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue]I have a big ego? lol...wow...that's news to me (and probably most people who know me as well).

Perhaps the fact that my rebuttals are good...and the fact that my points are good makes me appear to have a big ego? *shrug*

And also, about being shocked that I said evolution was a fact...

I find it amazing to think of it as a "belief" like religion. The two aren't in the same class.

Many major points of evolution have been proven -- we know that creatures evolve through time...we know that the earth changes through time...these are the core principals of evolution theory. So yes, it's still called "evolution theory", but we essentially know it to be factual.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]Perhaps the fact that my rebuttals are good...and the fact that my points are good makes me appear to have a big ego? *shrug*
[/B][/QUOTE]

Never mind. I had a post here but I decided it would be stupid to go into some fight over whether you're egotistical or not. To me, you are, and it has nothing to do with your "good rebuttals" and your "good points", except for the fact that it's just more arrogance in itself.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by zanza [/i]
[B]

See, there you go again. "My arguments are good, my points are good, blah blah blah..." You assume you're not egotistical and I'm jealous of you for that? Hahaha, yes, that's being arrogant. Not only that, but the way you state most all of your "good points" comes off as very egotistical to me. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue]Whoa...hold on a moment.

I know that I'm not egotistical. I'm just being straight forward and honest here. You are providing your thoughts...I'm providing mine.

It's strange how my comments seem egotistical to you and you only. Especially since nobody else seems to complain about it...

I think that perhaps my opinion on this subject rubs you up the wrong way or something...I don't know...

The statement you quoted was actually a little sarcasm. :) I'm surprised that you took it so seriously.

So calm down and think carefully. You're usually a pretty cheerful person with most of your posts...I think that maybe my comments here struck a chord or something.

EDIT: Don't worry about getting into an argument or anything. It takes two to argue -- and I wouldn't argue over something that's not important, as I'm sure you wouldn't either.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]I think that perhaps my opinion on this subject rubs you up the wrong way or something...I don't know...

So calm down and think carefully. You're usually a pretty cheerful person with most of your posts...I think that maybe my comments here struck a chord or something.[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, your comments do. No one elses. Transtic and I have debated religion many times in the past and never have I considered him egotistical. But to me, you come off as arrogant. Deal with it.