Jump to content
OtakuBoards

got a problem


Recommended Posts

Posted
[color=red][b]I got a problem and I am wondering what to do.

I got earthlink internet access. My friend wanted it too, so I made him an account under my name. But unbenonced to me, earthlink charges an extra $1 for every hour that you and someone else is logged in under ur account. So when I got my bill, instead of being $22, it was $113. I want my friend to pay me the $90 difference. He refuses. He said, "and there is no way in hell i will pay you the 90 dollars...its your fault for offering it to me" Is he right? I could talk to his parents, but that would seem like I am a kid and I will loose his friendship, I could get a lawyer and take him to court, but I will be 20 by the time it is even tried, or I could just loose him as a friend. What should I do? Do you people have any suggestions? Please take this seriously, this is serious.[/b][/color]
Guest Anakin Solo
Posted
Well you did make the account under your name. Did he ask you to make it on your name? Or did you just do it yourself? Because then he may have the right not to pay if, assuming you went and made it under you name, without him asking for you to do that.
Posted
[color=darkblue]That's a lot of money....but it's happened to me before in the 8th grade. I helped my friend set up internet access on his computer and I made the mistake of entering a phone number within the area code, but you still have to pay for long distance (weird bay area rule). Unsuspectingly, they dialed the same number for about a month. The phone bill was a surprising 300 bucks. My friend called me and shouted at me for making such a dumb mistake...but...well, I felt bad... I was never charged for it. He forgave me and all...but I'm not going to be setting up stuff for anyone that involves money...money is bad and it shouldn't get in the way of friendship...[/color]
Posted
Unless you're in serious financial trouble (as I currently am... Japan is expensive -_-) then I'd just pay the bill and not let him run it up anymore.

But going to court for $90? Um, no. That is the worst solution...

I'd avoid talking about it with his parents too...

I'd just try to guilt it into him... it looks like you aren't going to be friends much longer from the looks of it anyway.
Posted
Going to court is a bad choice. Court costs alone would tally up way more then $90. Its really not worth it. No offense but both of you are responsible for paying. You should have checked to see if they charged, and he accepted your offer so he accepted responsibility too.

But like Rico said...stay away from stuff like that in the future. You will end up on Judge Judy.
Posted
It was a pretty silly move to put the account under your name. I suggest you inform his parents of the situation. It does seem like you guys aren't going to be friends for long. It's unfair for you to pay that much money if he was the one running up your bill. I'd get my money from him if I were you, but don't go to court over it.
Posted
Yeah going to his parents would probably be the way to handle it. Mainly because you'll get him in trouble and You'll get the right away but he'll have to pay back his parents. If he is being a jerkweed about it he deserves it.:devil:
Posted
[color=red][b]Yeah, but the problem is that he is a very close friend and has been a friend for a long time. He is one of the only really goo friends I have and I don't want to loose our friendship.[/b][/color]
Posted
Well if you're willing, you could always try to compromise and split the whole bill in half. He should at least agree to that, considering you'll be paying as much as him.
Posted
If I was you I would lay down the ultimatum, pay half of the over all with me.

if he woulnt, go to the parents, if he will, do it and be friends.

either way, end the account for him instantly.

I really do know how much friends mean, but what is a friend?

I could tell you what is not, if you want...

remember not to let either one of your egos get in the way, especailly with as important as this friend is.
Posted
[color=royalblue]Hm, well...it was really up to you to know that this would happen. I mean, you always have to read the fine print, as they say.

But if he is continually using the account (even though he's run up a debt)...you should end the account if you can.

As for payment...I think he should pay the difference, even if you did offer it to him. He's the one who used it -- he should pay.

If he refuses...then I don't really know what you can do. If he's a true friend, then he's sure not acting like one.[/color]
Posted
Well, make him pay. He owes you $90. not onl is it the money, it's the prinicple, ya know?

okay, now im sounding dumb....T_T.

anway,do you have the money? you could like, take an I.O.U. with interest. yeah.
Posted
[color=teal]Yeah very true James, if he's a true friend he'll be sore about it for a while but will eventually come to his sences and talk it over.

The best thing to do is probably split the cost between the both of you[/color]
Posted
[color=red] I would do one thing. Compromise. It isn't worth losing a close friend over. If you and your friend can't come up with a compromise, then you [i]were[/i] never really friends.[/color]
Posted
[size=1]

I see another one of Son Goten's problems. Everyone is telling him to make the guy pay the difference but how is he going to get him to pay it. Um well like everyone said talk to his parents. Take that internet thing off of the computer so he can't use it anymore. Tough spot.Sorry![/size]
Posted
[color=red][b]I did disconnet him. I did it instantly. But another problem is that he really doesn't care. He has another friend who has MSN. His friend created an account for him before I got earthlink. MSN does not charge for simultainious connections, or to my knowledge, even checks for them. So when I cut him off, he was said fine and went on MSN. He just doesn't want to pay the 22 bucks a month for access. It seems to me that $22 is worth more than our friendship to him.[/b][/color]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Son Goten [/i]
[B][color=red][b]It seems to me that $22 is worth more than our friendship to him.[/b][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red] Then he isn't your friend. He's just using you to get what he wants, and acting like he and you are best buds. I'd make him pay for the whole darn thing, and say that I'm not your friend anymore, you worthless pile of crap. But that's me, lol.[/color]
Posted
[i]Gah! Finding out that you were being used hurts! I know this from over 20 experiences! I'm way too passive. I fully agree with James and the others, I also think that you should cut the friendship.[/i]
Posted
Money is the root of all evil. That's a pretty good saying don't you think?
If you made the account without his consent then it's pretty much your fault but if he asked you too then it's time to pay up.
Posted
[color=red][b]

Harokey: so u still po'd at me?
FateoMcSkippy: yes
Harokey: lol
Harokey: well just fyi, im not going to pay, so dont try

[/b][/color]
Posted
[size=1]

Well man I wish I could help. Sorry! I just can't think of anything that could make him pay up. I wish there was something you could do though.[/size]
Posted
[color=green]That's a tough situation. Is there any way you can change your password to keep him from going onto your account? That's one of the only other solutions I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned.[/color]
Posted
Geez, this kid sounds like a major loser for using you like that. He really doesn't deserve your friendship. I say you should involve his parents in the situation and maybe your parents too. He used the account, he should pay.
Who cares if you lose his friendship over it. There are better people out there who deserve your friendship more than this jerk.

Anywayz Good Luck:)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...