OtakuBoards

Riddle(s)

ChibiV

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Arikel [/i]
[B]Alright, have fun with these.

3.A woman has 7 children, half of them are boys.
How can this be possible?

5.A boy was at a carnival and went to a booth where a man said to the boy, "If I write your exact weight on this piece of paper then you have to give me $50, but if I cannot, I will pay you $50."

The boy looked around and saw no scale so he agrees, thinking no matter what the carny writes he'll just say he weighs more or less.

In the end the boy ended up paying the man $50. How did the man win the bet? [/B][/QUOTE]
3. You said "them", which would mean that you count the woman, so that would make 8 people. 4 of her children were boys and 3 of them were girls, then you add the woman, which would make 4 girls.

5. The man said that he would write your exact weight. So he wrote the words "your exact weight" on the piece of paper and won the bet. It has nothing to do with guessing the boy's weight.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some simple riddles:
What loses its head in the morning and gets it back every night?

Where's King Solemen's temple?

What's 100 feet up?

A boy's born in Boston, Massachutsetts. His whole family was born there and lives there, but the boy wasn't a citizen of the United States. How is this possible?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shadow [/i]
[B]Here are some simple riddles:
What loses its head in the morning and gets it back every night?
[/B][/QUOTE]

er....a rose? just a guess.

oh and my answer about the sticks, i forgot that whoever wrote the riddle didn't say 2 inches. i've heard a riddle exactly like it, except the sticks are put under the bed overnight and the theif's will grow to inches.

[color=darkblue][size=1]
Arikel's:

6.I cannot be felt, seen or touched;
Yet I can be found in everybody;
My existence is always in debate;
Yet I have my own style of music.
What Am I?

[b]Soul[/b]

8.The word CANDY can be spelled using just 2 letters. Can you figure out how?

[b]M & M[/b]

9.A man was born in 1955. He's alive and well today at age 33. How is this possible?

[b]He was a baseball player cryogenically frozen by his son?[/b]

Some of them were just stupid but some I couldn't figure out. The others that I did figure out were already told.
[/color][/size]

Riddle that will cause you to throw random objects at me!

1.Two trains enter the same tunnel at 2 o'clock. THey enter oppiste sides and its a one way track, how do they not hit each other?

2.A king want to seperate his kingdom equally between his two sons. What does he put in his will?

Now, i must run from the rain of objects about to be hulred at me.

[color=darkblue][size=1]
1. There's multiple answers:

They enter the same tunnel at 2:00 on opposite days, they enter at 2 AM or 2 PM or there are two one-way tracks. Those are probably all wrong, but I gave it a try.

2. He wrote that they get nothing.
[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Circéus [/i]
[B]His parents are not american citizen? (not imossible, when you think about it XD)

The boy is a stillborn? [/B][/QUOTE]
Nope. Think about American history.
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MysticBabe [/i]
[B]er....a rose? just a guess. [/B][/QUOTE]
No. Okay, maybe it's harder than I thought.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Aries [/i]
[B][color=darkblue][size=1]
1. There's multiple answers:

They enter the same tunnel at 2:00 on opposite days, they enter at 2 AM or 2 PM or there are two one-way tracks. Those are probably all wrong, but I gave it a try.

2. He wrote that they get nothing.
[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

First one, CORRECT *throws at her a cookie
Second one, incorrect *throws rock at her*

Answer Key

1.How many letters are in the alphabet?

2.A man walks up to you and says - "everything I say to you is a lie."
Is he telling you the truth or is he lying?
It's a paradox that cannot happen.

3.A woman has 7 children, half of them are boys.
How can this be possible?
All of the children are boys.

4.A farmer and his hired help were carrying grain to the barn. The farmer carried one sack of grain and the hired help carried two sacks. Who carried the heavier load and why?
The farmer carried a sack of grain while the help carried only two empty sacks.

5.A boy was at a carnival and went to a booth where a man said to the boy, "If I write your exact weight on this piece of paper then you have to give me $50, but if I cannot, I will pay you $50."

The boy looked around and saw no scale so he agrees, thinking no matter what the carny writes he'll just say he weighs more or less.

In the end the boy ended up paying the man $50. How did the man win the bet?
He wrote the words "your exact weight" on the piece of paper.

6.I cannot be felt, seen or touched;
Yet I can be found in everybody;
My existence is always in debate;
Yet I have my own style of music.
What Am I?
Soul

7.There is a common English word that is nine letters long. Each time you remove a letter from it, it still remains an English word - from nine letters right down to a single letter. What is the original word, and what are the words that it becomes after removing one letter at a time?
Startling - starting - staring - string - sting - sing - sin - in - I

8.The word CANDY can be spelled using just 2 letters. Can you figure out how?
C and Y to put it short... CandY, two letters, with a word between them.

9.A man was born in 1955. He's alive and well today at age 33. How is this possible?
The year is 1988

10.How can you make the following equation true by drawing only one straight line: 5+5+5=550
draw a diagonal line from the second + sign to make it a 4 producing the equation 5+545=550 which is true.

Good job to those who got it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Arikel [/i]
[B]2.A man walks up to you and says - "everything I say to you is a lie."
Is he telling you the truth or is he lying?
It's a paradox that cannot happen.[/B][/QUOTE]

Arikel... Everything I say to you is a lie...

There.. it happened..

[I]A boy's born in Boston, Massachutsetts. His whole family was born there and lives there, but the boy wasn't a citizen of the United States. How is this possible?[/I]

He was born before the US became the US, you know before that whole Revolutionary War thing. (TY for the hint :)

[color=darkblue][size=1]
You mean Aeris (or Aerith) heh, don't worry, half of the board makes that mistake about my name. I didn't even know where it came from when I typed it into the s/n box, I just thought it sounded cool.

I later find that it's an astrological sign (like Leo, Cancer and all of the others).
[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Deus_Ex_Machina [/i]
[B]Arikel... Everything I say to you is a lie...

There.. it happened.. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, that was phrased a little badly. But of course you see the point.

Here is the same idea, posed in a different way.

"There is an exception to every generalisation". Is this statement true?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mnemolth [/i]
[B]Yes, that was phrased a little badly. But of course you see the point.

Here is the same idea, posed in a different way.

"There is an exception to every generalisation". Is this statement true? [/B][/QUOTE]

yes. If there are no exceptions then it's not a generalisation at all, it's just universally true.

My point is.. if someone says "Everything I say to you is a lie", he [i]can[/i] be lying, because if he's lying, it doesn't necessarily mean that everything he says is true, it just means that not everything he says is a lie..

Er...okay. I think one of us is missing something.

If there is a statement that "There is an exception to every generalisation", then that in itself is a generalisation. If its true then there is an exception to the rule itself, which means there IS out there a generalisation without exception, which would render the statement false.

So the statement has to be necessarily false. :D

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mnemolth [/i]
[B]Er...okay. I think one of us is missing something.

If there is a statement that "There is an exception to every generalisation", then that in itself is a generalisation. If its true then there is an exception to the rule itself, which means there IS out there a generalisation without exception, which would render the statement false.

So the statement has to be necessarily false. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

But it was never explicitly stated that the statement was a generalisation. If the statement is universally true, in which case it's not a generalisation, then all generalisations have exceptions, and statement is not a generalistation but an actual truth. On the other hand, if you look at the last bit of your argument "which means there IS out there a generalisation without exception".. if there are no exceptions then it's not a true generalisation, because the whole point of a generalisation is to just sum up, or average, a group of things, despite the fact that there are many exceptions. A generalisation without exception is not a generalisation but a fundamental truth.

I'll give an example from physics: Newton's Laws of Motion are generalisations- they work at the sort of speeds we travel at, but near the speed of light, they break down. Einstein's relativistic Laws of Motion, on the other hand, work for both low and extremely high speeds, and are universally true.

Oh, and isawis, the answer to your paradox lies in quantum physics-

both statements are both true and false simultaneously