OtakuBoards

Moderation edits

Mnemolth

I've had at least two 'moderation' edits to my posts. Neither of which I think was against the rules. But no, that's what not what I'm b*tching about. The thing is there was not an 'edited by xxxx' message on the posts. So I had no idea who did the cutting, and what's worse, anyone else reading the posts would have thought they were intended in that form.

Messing with posts [b]without acknowledgement[/b] is kinda severely frowned upon by most Boards. I dunno the policy here.

I think any moderated edits should be explicitly stated as 'edited by xxxx', and preferably (tho not necessarily) with a time stamp and a reason stated for the moderation. I noticed in some posts that's the case, so I'm not sure what is going on.

I also think the same should apply to any edits, even edits of our own posts. This alerts people to the fact that a post has been altered and its not in its original form. And this should apply for everyone without exception. We're all the same right? :D

But then again maybe I'm being too 'political'...:rolleyes:

Bleh...whatever...I'm beginning not to care at this point...

[size=1](Still here tho so I guess I must...oh well....)[/size]

:blah: :blah: :blah:

[color=royalblue]I'm surprised, to say the least. If a Moderator edits a post, it is mandatory that they do so with a different coloured font -- to make it clear that they are editing a post for a certain specific reason.

If any Moderator, Super Moderator or Administrator edits a post, our software will automatically list the name of the person who made the edit.

So, there is no reason why the post would not list the name of the editor.

If any Moderator has been editing posts inappropriately, they will be immediately dismissed (kuja was an example). Other than that, I don't know what the situation is. I can't imagine any other explanation.[/color]

Well, I've noted myself that whenever a Moderator has edited a post the little notification at the bottom of the post shows up. At least it has everytime I myself have edited someone else's message.

Though as James has noted, us staff members [i]have[/i] to add in a note of our own, in a different and distinguishing font, name included. And from what I've seen the other moderators have also been doing that... Though it can be hard to tell when you're just browsing a thread and not looking through it carefully.

So maybe even if Moderators have forgotten to include a little note you yourself have missed the little notification down the bottom. Though I suppose it is always possible that OB's software could perhaps make a mistake and not include it's own note for some reason...

Well I suppose OB software may be a little screwy, but I have noted that someone did edit their own post and the little 'edit' message did not show up. In the vBulletin admin panel there is a capacity to turn that on or off depending on the status of the person.

As for my example, well the last one that prompted this thread was on the Newbie Lounge.

[url]http://209.123.85.4/~otakub35/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17339[/url]

If you follow the thread you can tell something is amiss. I don't remember exactly what I said but it was along the lines of "What? LR has friends?? When did hell freeze over??" It was done in a very jocular manner. And then I introduced myself.

But I'm not so concerned about the appropriateness or otherwise of the content, I'm more worried about the fact that my first paragraph was taken out, and as you can see (well at least at the time of this post), there is no 'edit by xxxx' tag on it.

And if you wish to verify, I think you can ask Lady Asphyxia or maybe Havoc. Just to make sure I'm not imagining things. ;)

[color=royalblue]It's not a matter of believing you Mnemolth (because I have no reason not to), it's a matter of working out exactly what happened.

Our software will always automatically list the name of the post editor, regardless of status. This is something that we view as being important. And as mentioned above, we have very clearly defined rules when it comes to Moderators editing posts.

The listing (or non listing) of the post editor's name is more likely to be a glitch of some sort, but the selective removal of a paragraph of text is another matter entirely. Having said that, I'm still at a loss to explain exactly what happened. All I can say is that if anyone knows who made the edit (if a Moderator did it), they should report it to me as soon as possible.[/color]

[b]I [i]always[/i] write in bold and put a little '--Elite' tag at the end to inform the person who edited and know who they can contact if they have any further questions.

On the subject of the little [i]edited by[/i] at the bottom of posts, I have never seen a [i]last edited by Elite[/i] whenever I have edited someone's post/s for bad language, etc.

Could it be some kind of option we have deselected or something?[/b]

[size=1]I've never noticed a sig notice when a supermod edits a post, actually.

And I know that if you edit your own post right away, it doesn't show up as edited at the bottom. Don't know what the exact time frame is, tho.[/size]

[color=indigo]I always add "- Desbreko" in indigo color on the end of my edits, and if the person is already using indigo, I use the seagreen color. I also always write what's been edited, or if I've moved the thread or something.

And like Sara said, I too have never seen a little "edited by" message when a post has been edited by a Super Moderator. Back when I was a Moderator, it would add the message, but when I became a Super Mod it stopped adding it. I didn't really think too much of it until now, though.

And yeah, if you edit your own post within about 30 seconds, it won't put the little message on it. I think it's nice for making quick changes to spelling and stuff, without it putting the little message on the post.[/color]

[color=sienna]I always add "--MK", in Sienna and bold on ANY of my edits. Also, I am very dynamic. When somone decides they wish to be snide and use my awe inspiring 'sienna', I just change their color while I'm at it. :)

Midway through some edits, I can vaugely remember doing a little bit of addlib, and all sorts of crazy things. Though my name has never appeared at the bottom of anyones' posts, but sure enough, if you see any sort of vulgar edits....hmm..

*raises hand and grins*

--
lol sorry, I couldnt resist, all the mods were jumping in and defending themselves... :) I found it cute.[/color]
--
[COLOR=indigo][b]-Desbreko[/b], Shut up you infidel [/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mystic's Knight [/i]
[b]
[COLOR=indigo][b]-Desbreko[/b], Shut up you infidel [/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

now.. I have to wonder.. was that really desbreko, or was it just you, MK?.. I'm inclined to believe the latter..

[color=indigo]You can tell it wasn't me because there was no space between the dash and my name, and because my name was in bold, [i]and[/i] because my name was at the beginning of the "edit." :p - Desbreko[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mystic's Knight [/i]
[B]Your Signature contains far more than 8 lines of text in it, uh oh!! :)[/B][/QUOTE]

I realise that.. ;) I'm trying to cut it down.. I have it down to only ten, by compressing 3 short lines into one long one.. I'm gonna still have to get rid of two lines though..

edit: OK.. I'm down to 8 now anyway..

[b]Please try and stay on topic O_o

I think Desbreko's point is a good one. When I was still a member whenever I edited my own posts the message would come up but now I'm a super moderator they don't appear on any of the posts I edit.. [/b]

[color=red] I've never really had to use the edit posts option as of yet. But I can tell you a few times I have accidently edited some posts. You know, I'd mean to press the 'Post' option but I'd accidently hit the 'Edit' button on the last person which has posted. I've done that twice. And the second time I did it to James's post O_O...but I edited it again and deleted what I had said and posted it into my own reply.

I have no clue whom it could be. But my belief is that it is a hacker. Who else could override the basic code of OB?[/color]

[size=1]I only edit posts when there is excessive swearing and/or other rule breaking, and even then I am sure to write [i]why[/i] I am editing the posts.

You sure post a lot in the suggestion forum these days Mnemolth..

-Shy[/size]

Many times I've edited my own posts and the software did not print the little text at the bottom saying so.

It's also happened with me editing the posts of other members, but I usually use red text when doing that, and I normally have some snide comment to go along with it; Followed, of course, by "-Justin"...

Just thought I'd bring that up.

-Justin

Yea, Mnemolth...you have been posting a lot here. I frankly like it. You provide a lot of interesting points, and like to speak your mind.

Im not sure if shy was being rude or not, but in the end it was a useless remark. You should be WELCOMED to post your suggestions and questions. *smile* ...

I've noticed if you edit your posts within a certain amount of time after posting, there sometimes isn't a little edit message at the bottom. I could just be messed up though heh.

I've never edited another person's posts as of yet. Considering Mnemolth is never in the Nintendo or Mario sections, I couldn't edit his anyway.

And obviously MK did that Desbreko thing in his post, as Desbreko always puts his name after his edit. He even just specifically said so lol.