OtakuBoards

"Playing Mod"

Sui Generis

Recently I've seen/heard alot of mods say to the members "Stop playing mod." And I was wondering what exactly is "playing mod?"

I mean is there a line from being a dedicated member and sucking up?

I do what some mods call "playing mod" but I do it just because I care for the boards, not that I'm sucking up.

I was just curiose, sorry for the bother.

Same... I do think I'm sorta like Lalaith, but on the other hand, Im also an arrogant bastard too.

I try not to mess up, but, Lal.. if you want a GOOOD answer on that, wait for James or someone who has had to deal with this a lot..

And, hehe...if you want to suck up..dont try 'playing mod' hehe...it will only piss people off, wether your sucking up or not.

Well in my case... I don't personally mind a lot of it. Just mentioning to someone not to do something isn't that big of a deal. The only time it's ever aggrivating for me is when someone "plays mod" and will not drop it. All that results is a lot of arguing and the whole thread gets completely offtrack... In some cases it simply just gets closed, and the originator of the thread is basically SOL because some people wouldn't let it go. I do realize the offending person sometimes goes on that "That's too damn bad, ban me if you don't like it" trip... but it's just not fight it and talk to the right person.

There is a report "post to moderator" link for a reason heh.

[size=1]Tho' I doubt I was the one to coin the term, I was the first to really complain about it here.

To me, 'playing mod' is spamming in a superior "you did something wrong" way.

Example: A thread is in the wrong forum. Say someone tried to start a Dragonball RPG in the Dragonball forum instead of G/S...or whatever it is now.

Twelve posts saying noting that "This is in the wrong forum and you'd better shape up or ur gonna be banned :modrod:" and "Mods, pls move this!!!" is spam. But some members felt that it was okay, because, after all, they were 'helping out.'

The moderators know where the thread belongs. They will move it when they have the chance. The new member doesn't know. But the thread is already made, and [i]will be moved eventually[/i]...so ideally, you should respond the same way you would have had it been in the correct forum. After all, a dozen people saying "This belongs somewhere else" sure doesn't get an RPG started.

That's pretty much how I see it. [/size]

[color=#507AAC][size=1]Sara is absolutely correct. There is a difference between kindly pointing someone in the right direction and "playing mod".

For those who have the job of actually moderating different forums each day, it [i]can[/i] be quite annoying in some cases. Luckily, most members aren't too much of a problem in this area.[/color][/size]

yeah, i agree. There's a point where the overuse of telling people what to do becomes an annoyance in itself. We see more than many people think. If someone is breaking the rules, you as a member should inform the mods, not post publically what they are doing wrong, because that in itself is breaking the rules and you are no less as guilty as the person who originally spammed or id something wrong. We all have contacts which we can, in most cases, easily be reached.... use them.

[color=#507AAC][size=1]Of course, I don't want to discourage people from being productive in a friendly way. It's fine to kindly remind someone to observe the rules. But we don't want five people in a row doing it...and we certainly don't want an entire thread to end up that way. At some point that line has to be drawn. :)[/color][/size]

[quote]But we don't want five people in a row doing it...and we certainly don't want an entire thread to end up that way[/quote]

[b]That's the only thing that really annoys me. Just the fact that some people make posts in a topic before it gets deleted telling the thread starter/spammer etc. what they have done wrong, even if a person has already pointed out the problem.

Making an entire post about how the person has done something wrong is basically spam in itself if that's all the person says.[/b]

[color=red] It's not annoying unless people post multiple times about the same thing that someone else just said condemning the thread maker.

But what really makes me mad is when a member will denying they were
'playing mod' as it's so harshly put here. Especially when they argue a mods good intentions of closing a thread, telling the person to stop playing mod, and other such nonsense. That is where I think it crosses the line.

Just because I said that 'playing mod' isn't all that bad, does not mean that it should happen, though. I know your guys' intentions for helping, but, that's not your jobs, it's mine, and all the other mods here. You are here to be a member and enjoy yourself, not let these trivial power struggles get into the way.[/color]

"Playing Mod" is fairly obvious.

I'll add to Sara's comment: Say someone creates a DB RPG in the DB forum instead of Otaku Adventures. Someone who was just helping in a kind, friendly and productive way would simply join the RPG, and make a small side note that the thing was in the wrong place.

Someone who is 'playing mod' would dedicate an entire post to correcting the originator of the post.

In short, those who 'play mod' overstep their boundaries and try to do the job that belongs to the moderators. I wouldn't say that it's annoying. i'd say it was funny, considering that being a moderator isn't half what it's cut out to be. In a forum as well-organized as ours, a moderator's job is tough.

-Justin