OtakuBoards

Who should be responsible for the moral education of a child?

ChibiV

I believe it's written somewhere in all parents' and lega guardians' job description that they provide a sense of morals to all children they take care of. A parent's job is to look out for the child and to make sure they're receiving everything they need to become a fully functional adult. There's no guarantee that school or society will provide your child with a good sense of morals [i]or[/i] the specific sense of morals that [i]you[/i] want the child to have. Any parent or guardian who doesn't tell a child the difference between right and wrong isn't doing their job.

Of course, I don't have kids, so what do I know?

[SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]I think that legal gaurdins are moral in charge of a kids responsibility. Your parents are responseible for whatever you do. Like if you playdrise a story, and your just a kid, your parents are responsible for it. It's kinda compicated.[/size][/color]

[size=1] [FONT=century gothic] [color=red] I tshould always be the responsibility of the parent's to give the child the moral upbrining that will determine wether the child grows up cussing, fighting and stuff as opposed to the child who grows up in a happy loving environment and learns not to do all that wrongful stuff o_O.

[/size] [/FONT] [/color]

This is almost rediculus,

The parents are always responsible for the moral education.

Due to the fact that almost no one is gonna disagree with that, and since you didnt give your own opinion, I would say this thread is asking to be closed.

Nothing personal, but I just dont see a point to this thread, atleast until someone comes up here and says something rediculus like " teachers and civil servants are responsible..."

Then maybe a debate could occur but until then, this is almost silly.

[b]It is a parents' responsibility to provide a strong amount of moral education for a child. But it is also any teachers/carers or other guardians responsibility to help those points get across.

My point is that once a child reaches an age for nursery/preschool (or whatever it's called), a teacher has to make sure they also show a child (for example) the difference between right and wrong.

Someone at a young age follows the example of those people around them, so I think it is spread out between all the major figures in a young childs life, not just the parents.[/b]

Parents... hell you're not a parent if you don't!

It's not society, thats for sure. I'm not gonna raise kids. If it were up to me, everyone in here would be passing common sense tests or they'd be shot.

Schools should be but it's those stupid parents that elect those stupid officials who make stupid decisions which just make their child... you guess it... stupid.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Justin [/i]
[B]I say that the parents have the responsibility to teach their child right. And I believe they will be held accountable for whther they ahve or not one day.

-Justin [/B][/QUOTE] [SIZE=1]Well said.

On another note, I also firmly that once you pass the age of three, you've got a pretty darn good idea of what's right and what's not.

Hurting people is bad. Sharing is good. Basic stuff, á la [i]Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.[/i] It'll get you pretty far.

There are also choices, about moral, ethical and spiritual [or lack thereof] issues, that no one can make for you, or truly 'teach' you what is right.

Some things, you have to learn for yourself.[/SIZE]

[color=purple]It is up to the parents to teach children the difference between right and wrong. Then, when parents are working and children are at school, elementary more than anywhere else, it is up to the teachers.

However, when a child reaches middle school, it starts to begin to be their own responsibility to decide for themselves what is morally right and wrong. I was taught my entire life the difference between right and wrong. For a long time, I was taught that homosexuals and bisexuals were gross people with no friends, lives, that were going to hell. I'm bisexual. Obviously, I decided [i]for myself[/i] that not every thing I am taught is true. There comes a point when children must decide for themselves.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ChibiV [/i]
[B]Thanks you for answering.
Do you think hanging out with bad friends can have bad influence? [/B][/QUOTE]
It depends.
If the subject is still mentally young, then yeah, it can affect.
But, if the subject is older, and he still chooses to hang out with that kind of people; then he won't learn bad stuff, since it was already within him.

[color=#507AAC]I agree with Sara 100%. Parents do provide guidance in the early years but ultimately, an individual will choose his or her own path and make their own decisions (unless you're a brain dead sheep).

As for friends...yes and no. If you're an independent, intelligent person...you're not going to fall for peer pressure (ie: doing something stupid to impress people). If you're a little ignorant or "sheltered"...perhaps you might just fall for that. Who knows. In the end it's still down to the individual's personality I think.[/color]

[color=red] I'd say parents, as all the others are saying. It certainly is not society. Society does have its morals, but more or less, society's pretty corrupt in some cases. But when it all comes down to it, it's an individual choice of the individual to take what they've learned, and meld what they do meld. Whether it be melded wrong, or it be melded right.[/color]

[color=#9933ff]Schools should [i]not[/i] be the ones responsible for teaching children moral lessons. Yes, in kindergarden, you do learn not to hit others, and to share, etc., but if you haven't heard that at home first, and if it isn't enforced enough, 99.9% of the time, what the teachers teach you isn't going to stick, or work. It's the parents who should be teaching the morals.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]Schools should be but it's those stupid parents that elect those stupid officials... [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]My mother is a teacher, and being the kid of the supervisor of the language arts/reading curriculm, I can tell you right now, that parents do not elect the teachers in the schools. The principals, and the superindendents of the district over see that, and decide which teachers to hire.[/color]

[B]...who make stupid decisions...[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]Yes, some teachers can be quiet stupid, but don't you have some like that in EVERY proffesion of work? And maybe you say that the teaching profession has more. These people are making the average salary of $55,000 a year, and that's gross yearly income, you haven't taken the taxes out yet. These people are teaching because they love to be teaching.[/color]

[B]...which just make their child... you guess it... stupid. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]The schools don't make children stupid. It's the way they are. If your IQ is 100, it's going to stay that way, and there's nothing you can do to fix it. When you see poor report card grades, it usually means you're living in a low class city, or section of a city. Take for example, Jamaica Queens. Not the best place in NYC. Th outside life there, all the gangs, guns, street fights, are to blame for a child's low acedemic performance, because with all those ouside distractions, and not feeling too safe can be the cause of low report card grades. You can say the teachers there aren't the best. Why? Because of the area and it's aura, very few teachers would want to teach there. Once again, it's the life outside the classroom.

Maybe it seems like I'm attacking TN. If it is, I apologize for having it seem that way, because it isn't how I intended it to seem. He has a right say what he wants, and I have a right to respond to it.[/color]

[color=deeppink] [size=1]I'd have to go with all three. It's not just one that teaches a child how to act or behave, it's the whole child's surroundings and expririences that actually teach him/her.

Parents are responsible because it is their child and their duty to raise them. Although, it's also their duty to work, and get paid so they can pay for the family's food, house, insurence...etc.

Schools are responsible because a child spends most of their life there, and learns about life and education. Most children adapt to their surroundings, either due to peer pressure, or just living in a place so long.

Society is also repsonsible because a child's knowladge also depends on their neightborhoods and city, because that is where they will grow up, and that's where they will learn how to behave, according to the people closest to them.[/color] [/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MistressRoxie [/i]
[B][color=#9933ff]Schools should [i]not[/i] be the ones responsible for teaching children moral lessons. Yes, in kindergarden, you do learn not to hit others, and to share, etc., but if you haven't heard that at home first, and if it isn't enforced enough, 99.9% of the time, what the teachers teach you isn't going to stick, or work. It's the parents who should be teaching the morals.[/color]

[color=#9933ff]My mother is a teacher, and being the kid of the supervisor of the language arts/reading curriculm, I can tell you right now, that parents do not elect the teachers in the schools. The principals, and the superindendents of the district over see that, and decide which teachers to hire.[/color]

[color=#9933ff]Yes, some teachers can be quiet stupid, but don't you have some like that in EVERY proffesion of work? And maybe you say that the teaching profession has more. These people are making the average salary of $55,000 a year, and that's gross yearly income, you haven't taken the taxes out yet. These people are teaching because they love to be teaching.[/color]

[color=#9933ff]The schools don't make children stupid. It's the way they are. If your IQ is 100, it's going to stay that way, and there's nothing you can do to fix it. When you see poor report card grades, it usually means you're living in a low class city, or section of a city. Take for example, Jamaica Queens. Not the best place in NYC. Th outside life there, all the gangs, guns, street fights, are to blame for a child's low acedemic performance, because with all those ouside distractions, and not feeling too safe can be the cause of low report card grades. You can say the teachers there aren't the best. Why? Because of the area and it's aura, very few teachers would want to teach there. Once again, it's the life outside the classroom.

Maybe it seems like I'm attacking TN. If it is, I apologize for having it seem that way, because it isn't how I intended it to seem. He has a right say what he wants, and I have a right to respond to it.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

I know that parents don't elect teachers, lol. I meant they elect school officials... like... school board members. They are the ones who decide what and how to spend school money and if they don't spent it on the schools then well there you go. Like around here, the Orange County school board took their money and spent like... half of it on a statue outside their offices... and the rest on schools... I mean... why? Doesn't make sense...

As for your second point, you've never lived in Florida have you? You've never had the dispriviledge to go to our public schools. Teachers here don't teach because they like to, they teach because they have a degree from college that says they can and it'll get them more money then working at the grocery store. Sure some like to teach, but others...I highly doubt it. If you're going to teach, do it well. You're influencing hundrens upon thousands of children, and if you look at Florida you can tell thats simply not happening.

I never said the schools make children stupid, but they certainly don't ake them any smarter. If a child went through life not going to school or readning a book or being taugh by their parents, they'd be stupid in American stadards at least. Which means the schools help children become smart andunderstand things better. If they can't do that, then whats the use? Your kid will be stupid. Not because the school made them, but becayse the school failed to help them. Also, regardless of outside influences, I'm sure childrne can still learn. There's bombings in Isreal and things being blown up and people being killed,yet their children still learn. Their university is still open. If you're devoted enough as a teacher and as a student, then you will learn. Despite anything else. Now oviously ofcourse i'm not balming the teachers and school system on the under developed mental capacity of our children, but it does reflect it in ways.

[B]I know that parents don't elect teachers, lol. I meant they elect school officials... like... school board members. They are the ones who decide what and how to spend school money and if they don't spent it on the schools then well there you go. Like around here, the Orange County school board took their money and spent like... half of it on a statue outside their offices... and the rest on schools... I mean... why? Doesn't make sense... [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]Ohhhh. You were talking about the board of education. Now I get it. ^_^;;[/color]

[B]As for your second point, you've never lived in Florida have you? You've never had the dispriviledge to go to our public schools. Teachers here don't teach because they like to, they teach because they have a degree from college that says they can and it'll get them more money then working at the grocery store. Sure some like to teach, but others...I highly doubt it. If you're going to teach, do it well. You're influencing hundrens upon thousands of children, and if you look at Florida you can tell thats simply not happening.[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]Well, of course you need a college degree to be a teacher. What I'm saying, is that, unless your parents forced you to be a teacher, the majority of the people who are, are doing it because they like their job, and not because of the money. Teachers make substantially less money than an engineer does. A whole heck of a lot less money.[/color]

[B]I never said the schools make children stupid, but they certainly don't ake them any smarter. If a child went through life not going to school or readning a book or being taugh by their parents, they'd be stupid in American stadards at least. Which means the schools help children become smart andunderstand things better. If they can't do that, then whats the use? Your kid will be stupid. Not because the school made them, but becayse the school failed to help them.[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]Of course schools can't make student's IQ's any higher than they are, but in the terms of learning, I think schools do make children smarter. Maybe they don't learn everything there is to know in the whole world, but the schools do a sufficient job of teaching students the knowledge they need to know.[/color]

[B]Also, regardless of outside influences, I'm sure childrne can still learn. There's bombings in Isreal and things being blown up and people being killed,yet their children still learn. Their university is still open. If you're devoted enough as a teacher and as a student, then you will learn. Despite anything else. Now oviously ofcourse i'm not balming the teachers and school system on the under developed mental capacity of our children, but it does reflect it in ways. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]Of course there will be some students able to produce high grades in such an environment, but the number that do will be quiet low.[/color]

An apple never falls far from the tree, jet all social interaction build upon our personality. I read on a bus poster once.
"the first five years...shape the next fifty"
So therefore any social stimulus is assimilated and hardwired. So kids...don't...watch...telitubbies!
You'll start talking funny.