OtakuBoards

GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) Has anyone seen this?

Domon

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by b3atr3d [/i]
[B][COLOR=red][SIZE=1]Your library has anime? [/SIZE][/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

Yep. Most of it is supplied by the owner of the comic shop that is a few blocks away. The anime is so popular that the library set up an Anime Review Board and has caught the eye of the libraries in nearby towns (who are now featuring anime titles). That is the advantage of living near a medium sized town that is the fastest growing town in the state.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by vegeta rocker [/i]
[B]Damn ! I missed that Animerica! I got the one with Inuyasha on it though........mmm lets see.
Onizuka or Inuyasha?
yeah thats hard!
I just saw up to ep nine and right now number 8 is my favorite!
The final episode is suppossed to be done live action. [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't feel bad I almost missed it myself...But luckily I caught it in time....Maybe you can check out the website for what thay talked about...But I also have the Inuyahsa edition now as well......WHOO-HOO!!!!!

Sorry fot that...but about Onizuka... I'm gonna be tied up for a while but I'll soon get the Vol. 3 DVD. If you wanna know about the first 2 I'll tell ya...Just let me know!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by sweetreyes [/i]
[B]I can see where you're coming from with that...but you guys I picked up the Feb. edition of Amimeria and geuss who's on it...None other than ONIZUKA....with his fine self...and they have a great article about the story...Check it out!!!!! I just loved all the pictures of him!!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

If it wasn't for that excellent article, I wouldn't have started with the series. I got the first volume last night and God, did it blow me away! The show gives me a warm feeling of happiness when I see it, and the intro theme is amazingly good and stylish. I'll have to keep buying the DVDs.

PS- Is it just me, or are the episodes much longer than in most anime?

• 7 months later...
GTO is on of my favorite series. It is currently airing on Shownext at 9:00, Monday-Fridays. It airs uncut, with the exception of one scene, where Tomoko is given underwear in an upskirt shot when she first meets Onizuka. Other than that it's unedited. I love this series. I wish I had a teacher like Onizuka.

Great Techer Onizuka is awesome!!! Though I greatly dislike the anme. I've seen about twenty-five episodes total. I don't like the expressions at all. They are just way to freaky for my tastes. For me, I prefer the manga most of all. The manga is really funny and a great read. I've read about ten of the manga books. My friend owns an entire shelf full of GTO manga, so I am lucky.

I liked GTO. I loved the way he "convinced" the students to become good students. Has anyone seen the live action GTO? I heard that it was one of the most popular tv shows in Japan when it was on. Just curious to see what you guys thought of it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by amiboshi [/i]
[B]I bought the first manga volume, and I think it's one of the only ones I've ever bought and disliked... It just didn't appeal to me. I'm not sure why, I just disliked it. But that's just me. Maybe it's because I'm a girl, and this is more guys humour. Who knows. ^_~ [/B][/QUOTE]

well I tend to like the anime more than the manga in this case so if you watch the anime and don't like it then.......well there's tons of other anime so take your pick.

I saw the Love Action Ver. It was Great. I downloaded it through BT. There were only like 18 eps though... I have not seen the animated ver. nor read the magna, so I can't compare them. But if you have the time and bandwidth give them a shot. It's one of my highest recomendations.

PS If you need help finding them online give me a buzz.

I love GTO; a friend of mine has the manga up to the 17th issue. It's actually a good story--as well as being hilarious and lewd--because the artist doesn't wrap everything up at once. That's also why it's not repetitive. Even though he does manage to do the same thing every time, the ride there is just too entertaining to be redundant. And he's such a . . . I don't even know the word. Onizuka. That's the only way to describe him.
I think it's funny, too, that in Yu Yu Hakusho, Kuwabara's kitten's name is Eikichi . . . .
oshi

• 3 weeks later...
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]I love GTO! I am waiting right now for 9:00 PM to come, which will be in only a matter of in 10 minutes I just got into it on Tuesday, because I just never really bothered to look at my Showtime channels. OMG! That is such a funny show! I have had the theme song stuck in my head all day at school and I wrote GTO all over my freaking arm! I love it! And who ever had said that she wasn't appealed to it becuase maybe it was more for males, that's not true. I'm a girl and I love it. Mr. Onizuka's problem is what makes it funny!:laugh: Not to mention he is fine!!:luv: :love2: :blush: [/color][/font][/b]

Guest SpiritDetective
I haven't seen it yet but I have read about it and GTO looks freakin hilarious and I also want to get the Manga.ANIME FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='SpiritDetective']I haven't seen it yet but I have read about it and GTO looks freakin hilarious and I also want to get the Manga.ANIME FOREVER!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

SpiritDetective, all of your posts thus far have been equally horrendous. The one quoted above is no exception. And if you don't stop appending your replies with "ANIME FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!," I will be forced to do something drastic. I'm trying my best to be polite about this, but your refusal to heed my warnings is definitely not a positive sign.

Please, please make an effort to improve.

~Dagger~

I've seen a lot of the episodes and I read about five books of the manga. I hate the anime. That's only because I don't really like the kind of expressions that the artist used. I like the manga better because he doesn't use the expressions as much. It is very funny and I find myself laughing a lot.

[quote name='Shadow Wolf][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue][b]Um, it seems to me that Mr. Onizuka from GTO and Spike from Cowboy Bebop sound alike. Do they have the same voice actors? It's driving me crazy...:worried:[/b][/color'][/font][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrchid]
To answer that for you..YES its the same American voice actor...I love this guy he's awesome.

But as for Japan..YOU DON'T LIKE THE ANIME!!!
What's not to like? I mean I owe 5 DVD volumes and I've been reading the manga. I think they did an excellent job of portraying Onizuka in the anime. And the facial expression. The facial expressions make it all work while. I personally enjoy his expressions, the sexy faces :love2: :faint: to the crazy faces :rotflmao: all the same.

But I guess I can survie seeing that comment. I'll be good and not go :flaming: on you for that. But I wish to know a deeper meaning than besides the faces.[/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
I just started watching this a few days back and so far have enjoyed it been watching between 5 to 10 episodes a night and just finished watching #30.

When I first heard about this show it didn't sound as if it'd be my cup of tea from what I heard it was very perverted but after my sister recommended it I decided to give it a shot and must say I'm happy that I did. The perverse side of the show is very little and more in the joking then serious department as much as Onizuka is a perv he is like the title says a great teacher who does anything he can for his students. All the different costumes he wears is great as well they truly make me laugh especially the video game outfits.

-Edit-

Just finished watching the last 13 episodes and found the final episode to be a fitting conclusion for this series. I particularly like the fact that he ended up in America at the end and what his new class looked like. Llike all my favorite shows I wish there was more but I'm satisfied with the way this show ended and how it was all wrapped up.

(Hope this doesn't read too confusing but it's 5a.m. here and time to pass out) :sleep:

• 2 months later...
Guest umi amano
I watched the series. I'ts really worth watching. Onizuka is foolish sometimes but he really does his best to save his students. He even surrendered himself to the police so his student will not be in trouble. He's a hero, really.

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1]It's a great series I like the beginning of the series much more because it focuses all around Onizuka while in the later-half of the seires it follows the students more. It's actually my favorite anime I have the whole thing on DVD, I have only read one of the manga issues but I hope to collect all of that. I also hope they release the live action GTO series in the US. The ending of the series kinda dissapointed me [spoiler] but if they make a continuation of the series where it starts with him teaching in California [/spoiler] I wont complain.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I've already seen all episodes.
I can say that GTO is.... how can I say it?
A bit on the [COLOR=Lime]LIME [/COLOR] side if you know what I mean.
There's a little perversity in it but all-in-all it's really FUNNY.
I laughed like CRAZY when I saw a part where Onizuka [spoiler]Jumped from the roof into the swimming pool. Then he had a nosebleed! He said that it was really fun so he decided to do it again... with Murai and the two others!!![/spoiler]
GTO is really an amazing anime (But not good enough to top my RANMA 1/2!!!)

• 2 months later...
I'm not really an anime person to tell the truth, most of what I've seen has been under the recommendation of friends, with GTO being no different, but by far I find this to be my favourite. I love it.

The characters are great, every single one of them, which is a rarity because you will almost always get the odd annoying one who was originally thrown into the mix to stir things up. [spoiler]I never expected the students of Class 3-4 to align with Onizuka at first though, I thought the premise would mainly revolve around how he survives his students' attacks and pranks, but I was wrong, I guess.[/spoiler] The character development is actually a very large contributor to the comedy.

I found it stupid at times, however. Some episodes were more than just boring, and even the spoofs were down-right lame during them, but none the less, I suppose fillers are inevitable in most anime.

I can openly say that this is one of the few shows I've thoroughly enjoyed in a long time, and is aimed at any type of audience, so I'd recommend it beyond infinity heh. Watch it. Now.

Guest KouKitari
GTO is a really funny anime. I saw the whole thing on TV. I haven't read the manga or seen the original version though..