Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
Yes, this thread is about [i]inventing original names for your characters[/i]! Well, this has probably been under discussion in the past, but I didn't see any thread of this sort at the first page, so....

So, do you usually change the names of the characters in your FF-game? In almost all of them, there is that option, save FF8, where you could only change the names of Squall, Rinoa and the Guardian Forces. What kind of names do you give the characters, if you change them?

When I played FF9 for the first time I changed almost everybody's name, eg Vivi was Magus, Freya was Rhea and Eiko was Echo. Yes, pretty stupid, I know...:rolleyes:

Currently I'm playing FF6, but I haven't changed the characters names, except Sabin's by accident: I pushed a wrong button and deleted the n-letter from the end without noticing, and now my Sabin is called SABI.

I'd really like to know what kind of names you have made up!
Guest Camilla
Posted
I normally stick with the original names...but when you can rename any enemies (in any game, not just the FF series) I usually rename them after my brothers *grins evilly*
Posted
[color=indigo]Pretty much the only time I change the names of characters, is when the name is in all caps--I hate that. I always change all but the first letter into lower case letters, if I can. As such, my characters in FFVI are named Terra instead of TERRA, Edgar instead of EDGAR, and so on.

Oh, and Camilla, we're only allowed one image in our signatures. Please remove on of the images in your signature. Thanks. :)[/color]
Posted
I try to name them after my friends and family. Like in FF8, I named Squall Wheeler which is my last name, and Rinoa was Stacy (this girl I liked at the time). But now I try to keep the original names, unless I change the main character to mine.
Posted
[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkblue]Well I keep the usual names at first so I can simply understand the story line more. But then I just name the main characters as myself, hehe, and the love interest after a girl I like at the time. *Looks around*What? it works.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Posted
Well... the first time i play a game i always stick with the orginal name.

But... after playing FFVII about 20-30 times, me and Flashy get up to some crazy stuff.

Lets just say, i can never look at Aeris the same again.
Posted
In FF games, I generally keep the original names. Changing them kind of pulls me out of the story for some reason. I only do this in games where the main character speaks a lot though. After beating them a few times, I sometimes pop in whatever names I feel like though.

In games where the main character doesn't speak at all, and others speak to him... I generally name him after myself. I tend to pay more attention if I see my name in the game haha.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]In FF games, I generally keep the original names. Changing them kind of pulls me out of the story for some reason. I only do this in games where the main character speaks a lot though. After beating them a few times, I sometimes pop in whatever names I feel like though. [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=crimson]Yeah, I found that it kinda pulled me out of the story too. But, my brothers have named a few on FFVII:

Cloud- SOLDIR
Red XIII- NANAKI
Aeris- Erisboneris
Tifa- GIRL (something like that)[/size][/color]
Posted
well, like a lot of people here, I change the main charecter to me, and the love interest to the girl I like. I havn't done that in a long time, though, because I started to realize I don't have really cool swords, and a really hot chick in love with me. That kinda ruined the whole RPG experiance for me after that
Posted
[b][size=1]^_^ Lots

[u]Final[/u] [u]Fantasy[/u] [u]VI[/u]
SABIN = Sabe (yes...that's it, lol)

[u]Final[/u] [u]Fantasy[/u] [u]VII[/u]
Cloud = AJ Ghurry (for the first two hours, my cousin played it with me,..so I put his last name at the end of my name)
Red XIII = Red
Cid = Mr. Pilot (don't.. say anything)
Cait Sith = Cat Sith
Vincent = Vamp
Yuffie = Girlie o_o
Barret = ??? (I can't remember what, but my cousin named him something French, which to this day I have no idea of the meaning)

[u]Final[/u] [u]Fantasy[/u] [u]VIII[/u]
Squall = AJ2K1
Quezacotl = LightninQ
Shiva = IceS
Siren = NoiseS
Ifrit = FireI
Carbuncle = ReflectC
Tonberry = Tonberry
Bahamut = Bahamut
Brothers = EarthB
Eden = Eden
Cerberus = Cerberus (I didn't know it cast Triple, lol)
Cactuar = Cactuar
I didn't get Doomtrain...and I can't remember if there were anymore GFs..

[u]Final[/u] [u]Fantasy[/u] [u]IX[/u]
Zidane = AJ
Vivi = Mac
Freya = DOIK! (I swear, I need to 'namingway' that...keep forgetting)

[u]Final[/u] [u]Fantasy[/u] [u]X[/u]
All Aeons have their original names :)
[/b]

There. :)[/size]
Posted
[COLOR=royalblue]Like 'Sko i usually just spell there names right, without the caps.

The only time off the top of my head i can remember re-naming a character, was my second time through FFIX... man, my watch wouldn't stop beeping, so i was going crazy.... without realizing it/accidentally i remnamed Vivi "Beep"... [/COLOR]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Break [/i]
[B][size=1][color=crimson]Yeah, I found that it kinda pulled me out of the story too. But, my brothers have named a few on FFVII:

Cloud- SOLDIR
Red XIII- NANAKI
Aeris- Erisboneris
Tifa- GIRL (something like that)[/size][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Red XIII's name is Nanaki anyway. The only other character I've changed is Frog in Chrono Trigger to Glenn, which was his name in the past.

I also change the names in the older FF's to proper case. The only thing that's annoying is the NPCs because they'll have names like KING (or whatever) and all my guys are like Locke, Relm and so on. That has annoyed me for years heh.
Posted
I know that... But obviously his real name is Nanaki, since Cosmo Canyon is his home more or less lol. I'd prefer to call him that and not some experiment number or whatever it is Red XIII is from (I forget).
Posted
Changing Red XIII's name to "Nanaki" results in awkward moments, from what I can remember. Cloud or someone, says something like "Nanaki's real name is Nanaki," when you first enter Cosmo Canyon.

Because of confusing instances like that, I tend to keep the default names.
Posted
I remember playing FF6 over one time, and I renamed everyone in it after people I knew.

It was probably the most confusing experience I've ever had in an RPG. I had no idea what was going on, mostly because I was so used to the default names. It also can make talking to others about the game kind of difficult, as you might accidently say what you named them instead of the defaults.
Posted
Same thing with renaming Dagger(Garnet) to Garnet in FF9...

Garnet:"Hmm, what secret name should I choose... *takes Zidane's dagger* This is a dagger, so I will be called... GARNET!"
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Posted
[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkblue]I'm still expecting someone to sterotypically name Barret: Mr.T hehe.
Well I'm sure someone will come with a rumor stating taht if you change one character's name to something like 0198CHEAT, it'll let you revive Aeris.
Anyway, I find that changing the names gives you alot of flexibility within the game and lets you sink nto the plot, but as many of us have said,there's not a point to changing the names at first in my opinion as if someone came here saying, ''Oh yeah, my favourite character was Kelly''. o_o [/COLOR][/SIZE]
Posted
HAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!! That's pretty funny sage "hmmmm my secret name will be garnet" yeah i agree that i's stupid to renaim people in games , i did it once in FFVIII and at least it didn't say "Zell's name is zell or anything, but you do get a bit confused.
Posted
[color=royal blue]I've done like everyone else--kept the original names (usually 2nd time around), name them their true names if they had them (2nd time, or if renamer option available), and even named them after other people.

What always amused me was how I would name a character after someone I knew because the two looked the same. Then the game character would proceed to act completely opposite of the person I named him/her after. I would keep staring at the screen, saying, "Hey, they don't really act like [i]that[/i]!"

:rolleyes: [/color]
Posted
I did that once! I named Barret Mr. T:mrt: I still have that file saved. As for funny names I once named Edgar Kafka just to hear Kafka say "Kafka you pinhead why do you have to live out in the middle of nowhere!" Let's see I don't know exactly how the censor thingy will handle this but here are the names from the current file of 9 I have

Zidane: TWALK (Inside joke)
Steiner: Hardass
Vivi: Bigpimp
Freya: !@#$
Just some out of time got to go by!
Posted
In FFIX we named them after ourselves, me and my friends just wanted a game with our names in them...

Zidane -Easther
Garnet -Karina
ViVi -Monique
Steiner -Jason
Quinna -Mummy
Freya -Naomi

I beleive that in FFVIII we changed their names when we first started playing then we started a new game and left them as they were.
Posted
I've been playing FFX and I enjoy changing the characters names. Don't ask me why I changed them to what I have there is no reason that I am sure of, basically I just felt like calling them what I did:

Tidus- Monk
Valefor- Ash
Ifrit- Jenkies
Ixion- Benjamon
Shiva- Dodo
Bahumet- Fassy

I think they are the right aeons lol, if they are in the wrong order just correct me.

Weird though hey? o_O;

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...