[b]Geist[/b] - [i]Dominic White/Tamura Miyuki[/i]
[b]G. D. Ryoko[/b] - [i]Jolisa Smith/Tanaka Sayaka[/i]
Congrats guys, you're in ;)

I'm still waiting to hear from:
[i]Zidargh[/i]
[i]Draagul[/i]
[i]Avalon[/i]
[i]Yu Yu Hakusho![/i]
I hope you all rise to the challenge :)! Sign-ups will remain open for a while yet, but I would also like the sign-up ASAP ^_^;;

[i]ANYONE can sign up - not just those listed above!![/i]

[b]::THE EMAIL::[/b]
[font=courier]
[b]Subject:[/b] Kyouiku Exchange

Attention student,

As you know, you have been chosen to prticipate in an overseas exchange between Kyouiku High School and numerous sister schools throughout the globe. Places are limited, as you also know, and the departure date is drawing near.

Teachers from all your schools have given me lists of information, including email addresses, from students interested in the exchange, and I am seeking confirmation of these lists. Please reply to this email indicating whether you wish to participate so host families can be informed and pairs can be made.

I also ask that students write an introduction [i]in English[/i] for their host, so interests and so on can be matched evenly. Include any detils you deem necessary (allergies, likes and dislikes, gender and so on.)

I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Yours sincerly,
[center]Arisugawa Izumi
(Kyouiku High - Headmistress)
[/font][/center]

[b]::THE RULES::[/b]
Well, as you have no doubt gathered, this roleplay is about an exchange trip to Japan. Really, you will be playing two characters, the host and the hosted student. You can be from anywhere in the world, and any language can be your native one. (Aside from Japan... that would be kind of pointless...) However, your character must be fairly good with English, simply for the fact we're roleplaying in English. However there's nothing to stop any linguistic slip-ups if your character develops from it ;)

Remember, we'll be going out on trips and there'll be quizzes and things, so they won't be in-school 24/7!

As opposed to the regular sign-up of statistics, I (and Arisugawa-san) would prefer a reply email, outlining [b]Name, Age, Bio, Location[/b] and anything else you feel is important- How you incorperate all that is up to you. I also want you to include a regular bio of your Japanese counter-part, stating [b]Name, Age, Gender, Bio[/b] - But that can be done in the regular format.

Scroll a little further for an example ;)

[b]::MY CHARACTERS::[/b]

[b][i]::HOSTED CHARACTER::[/b][/i]
[font=courier]
[b]Subject:[/b] Re: Kyouiku Exchange

Yes, I would still like to confirm my interest in the exchange trip. The following is the description for my host! ^_^ Thanks!

Yours,
Nathan Carraway
[i]Penningworth High School, IOWA, USA[/i]

----

Dear Host,
Hi! I'm Nathan and I'm really pleased to be coming to Japan for the year! I'm glad you're willing to have me, and would like to get to know you a little before I arrive!
My full name is Nathan Chirstopher Carraway. I'm 17 years old and I live in Iowa, which is a state in America. I enjoy playing basketball and computer games in my free time, and my favourite subject at school is Computing. I also like anime, but you probably think that's obsessive, right?
I live at home with my Mom and my little brother Robert, who's only 7. He's really excited and wants me to bring lots of souvenirs back for him. He's really into Pokemon and Digimon >_< I can't stand it!
Well, anyway, I hope to hear from you soon ^_^
Reagrds,
Nathan![/font]

[b][i]::HOSTING CHARACTER::[/i][/b]
[b]Name:[/b] Sonoda Ryuichi [i](Surnames first!)[/i]
[b]Age:[/b] 17
[b]Gender:[/b] Male
[b]Bio:[/b] Dreams of being a computer programmer one day and moving to America to "make his fortune". His parents are very liberal in the way they've raised Ryuichi and his 13-year-old sister, Hikaru, giving them a less [i]traditional[/i] view of life. Both the children revel in "Western" culture and enjoy learning English. Hikaru is really jealous that Ryuichi's hosting an American and not her (even though her English isn't "quite" up to scratch), and will be constantly trying to elbow in on the action.
Ryuichi's parents are also, while liberal in the effect of western culture, quite hopeless at English as a language, and so Ryuichi will end up being the main translator for Nathan during the trip.

~~~~~~~~~~

Well, there you have it... Queries or help with names, just PM me - I'll do my best to help! Ganbatte! (Good luck!)

There's no problem with the Spanish thing at all, that's why I said the stuff about "any" nationality. I welcome multi-lingual posters ^_^! It keeps me on my toes! As for the Japanese, you can write it in English with a colour key if you want. So "Japanese" would just be English in a different colour.

I`ll join but I need to do a bit of research before I join. Can you hold a spot for me please. I will really apprciate it. I have to brush up on my french and do a bit of research on Japan so I won`t be an idiot when I join.

You know, it's all very well people saying "save me a spot" but I'd prefer actual applications. From now on, if anyone wants a spot saved could they notify me by PM, or just [i]post the application[/i]? I'm sensing a flop in this because nobody's actually "signing up"

OOC: Hello again Baka! How'd you know I was going to do this? LOL, here is my enrollment form!

IC:

Re: Kyouiki Exchange

I'm pleased to receive this opportunity to participate in the exchange program. Thank you ever so much!

Sincerely,
Michela Geraro
New York City High School of Arts, New York City, New York
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Host,

Pleased to meet you! I am Michela Ren Geraro. I'm the exchange student from New York! I am a 15 years old Hispanic girl going on 16 on December 24. My hobbies include soccer, writing, acting, drawing, anime/manga, and playing the violin/piano. I love the American bands Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Linkin Park, Simple Plan, and Reel Big Fish (punk/pop rock in other words). Dislikes include Brittney Spears, Riley, and coffee with no sugar or creme. I play for my school soccer team. I must tell you I'm highly allergic to strawberries. Hope to see you soon!

Yours Truly,
Michela Geraro
Host Info
Name: Minamino Suzaku
Bio: Suzaku has been studying English at school since fifth grade and has almost mastered it enough so that he can have a casual conversation. He has three little sisters (Sazumi who is 10, Sana who is 12, and Miaka who is 14). They all are constantly bugging him like a certain someone I know *coughChichiri'sGirlcough*. His parents run a resteraunt downtown. He will be Michela's interpreter/guide/money bank/pillow friend (you'll get this later) for her stay in Japan.
OOC: Eh meh, not sure if this is how it was supposed to go but there it goes anywho! *peace sign* C-ya on the other side! *flys off on one of her winged monkey soldiers*

Hihi BB...said I would join and now I am ^_^

Re:Kyouiku Exchange

Hello miss, count me in on this one. Soz about not replying sooner but getting on the Internet is such a big pain it's unbelievable. ^_^

Letter to the host:
Hello host,
Sorry about not writing a name or anything but as of yet I don't know who I'm going to end up with. ^_^. Right, my name is Nuna McFaris (or Nun as I am nicknamed), I'm seventeen and I live in bonney Scotland, in the UK. I have two elder siblings (one brother, one sister) and a younger sister. I have bright, and I'm serious about this, ginger hair and grey eyes. I'm into reading (with anything to do with fanatasy at the top), anime/manga (which I only have a small collection of but I keep on nicking stuff from my friends) and hanging out with my friends. I susport Rangers football club and have just finished another music vid. Hope to hear from you soon ^_^
Nun

[Nun's host]
Name: Haskoyu Yuki
Bio: Yuki lives with her mum and dad and is an only child. She is into manga/anime and simply loves to collect them in English to help her with her studies. Her dad runs a local resuartant and her mum works in a computer company. She has been studying English from when it was an optional subject and is quite good at it...but does not quite understand the idea for saing first names first and last names last. Usually quiet and a hard studier but cannot wait for the exchange.

Argggh!! Baka-chaaan!! *whines* whats the bet i did this wrong?..*kicks computer* computers are evil!! X_x!! well, here i go..im posting it. lets see where this will end up ne? *smirks* should be amusing. Ja matte ne!! ^_^ *Glomps*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

::MY CHARACTERS::

::HOSTED CHARACTER::

Thankyou for allowing me to participate in the exchange trip. I am very interested and wish to confirm my interest in this. Here is a short description for my host. I apologise that it is very, vague but i am not quite sure what to include.

Yours sincerely
Lain Dekin
Blacksburn secondary school, Bristol, England.

~~~~~~

Dear Host,
Hello, my name is Lain and I?m really looking forward to visiting Japan for the year. Thankyou for accommodating me. I thought you would like to know alittle about me before we meet.
I am 17 years old and live in Bristol, England, I like reading and writing. I do well in school and hope to publish a novel someday. I am an only child and live with my parents. My Japanese is fairly good, but i apologise if i use the language in the wrong concept or what have you.
I guess I should end this here. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,
Lain.

::HOSTING CHARACTER::

Name:Aizawa Kane
Hair colour: Black with blue tips
Eye colour: Cobalt blue

Bio: Kane is extremely loud and outgoing. However his personality often confuses people and so he has been given a bad reputation. Behind his "leather-jacket" stereotype? Kane genuinely cares. His father passed away when he was very young, leaving his mother Serena to raise him. She is American and so taught Kane English as he was growing up, although Kane prefers not to speak in the language, so many people do not know he actually can. Between doing odd chores about his very western style house Kane attends school and takes regular violin lessons every night. He *is* smart in school yet refuses to show his true potential. Kane is still unsure about what he is going to do when he graduates-However he has always dreamt about riding his motorcycle across open roads in America. His mother laughs at this and frequently tries to persuade Kane to follow in his father?s footsteps. Even though Kane loves his mother dearly he doesn?t want this, believing a greater adventure is waiting for him somewhere and perhaps the chance of romance-although he will never admit the latter.
When the opportunity to be a host appeared Kane was first in line. As a child his looks were often made fun of as he looked more American than most, and so Kane wants to help someone feel at home in his country. His mother thinks this is a great idea as it might bring out Kane?s "Softer" side. Yet Kane shrugs this off, telling her he has no "soft" side. His mother knows better.

[COLOR=blue]
Well, here's my sign-up in all its...um...signy-upness...tell me if I need to make any changes to it. Thanks for taking the time to read this. :devil:

[CENTER]
[B]>>>Hosted Character<<<[/B]
[/CENTER]
[B]SUBJECT:[/B] Re: Kyouiku Exchange

Thank you for accepting me in the exchange program. I know that I will have an interesting time and I can't wait to leave. Thank you and here's the information for my hosts.

Dominic White
Gateway High School, San Francisco, CA.

To my host:

Hi, my name is, Dominic Charlie White. (My friends call me Domino.) I'm 14 years old, and I like to listen to Jazz and Blues. I also like to play the harmonica or "Blues harp" since it's so often used in both. I have no known allergies and I have a hard time listening to Rock. I'm interested in finding out what types of music you listen to in your country and what type of instruments are popular there. I would also like to try some sushi and go to some Japanese theaters. They have that stuff in California, but I don't know how close it is to the real thing. Thanks in advance for your hospitality.

See ya soon!
"Domino"

[CENTER]
[B]>>>Hosting Character<<<[/B]
[/CENTER]

[B]Name:[/B] Tamura Miyuki

[B]Age:[/B] 15

[B]Gender:[/B] Female

[B]Bio:[/B] Miyuki is the younger sister of Masato, who was supposed to be hosting Dominic until he had to leave with his dad to a university in Europe. Miyuki volunteered to be the host instead of having to cancel the overseas exchange. She loves Rock and plays it often on her electric guitar and amp. The house she lives in is Western decorated but her family still follows Japanese customs. The only person in her family who isn't good at English, is her little brother, Aki.
[/COLOR]

Okay I think that I studied enough to sign up.

Thankyou for letting me be part of your exchange program. My name is Jolisa Smith. I live in New York City and is interested in Japan. I read a bit about the country but am more excitied about going to Japan.Iam 14 years old. In school I study French and in my free time, tiny bits of Japanese.
Well anyway thanks.
Jolisa Smith
New York City
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To Host Family
Thank you fo hosting me. I am very interested in comming to Japan an look forward to meeting everyone. I am a very kind and quiet person so Iwon`t be any trouble. I am also a excellent student in my school so you won`t get any bad reports about me. Well can`t wait to meet you all.
Arigato(Thankyou)
Jolisa Smith
Host Info:Tanaka Sayaka

Bio:Sayaka wasinterested in eeting some one from America. She studied English and speaks it fluently. She also studies French a little bit but is not that good at it. She lives wit her mother, father and granmother(father`s side). She is an only child and looks forward to having some one close to her age to talk with. (By the way her family also speaks fluent English.)
Sorry about the hold up.^_^

Okay people this is gonna start soon, I reckon 6 is a wonderfully round number to start playing with ^_^

We're still waiting to hear from:
[b]Zidargh
Panny Chan
Draagul
Yu Yu Hakusho![/b]

But if they don't sign up within the next few days I'm going to start regardless.

So keep an eye on the thread ^_^ And remember I'm still open for sign-ups! But it's gonna be one of those rare occasions where I don't accept them after I start. So don't wait around!! *grins*

EDIT: Oh yeah *fwaps Kouby with the fish-on-a-stick* Don't make fun of me in my own thread :bawl: *chuckles*

Totally Off topic

O_O Naa naa...so everyone has a bubble? *blinks and looks around for her bubble* Okay..im totally lost now..*dies* the heat is finally getting to me!!

*urges to people to join Baka-chans RP* HAYAKU MINNA-SAN!! ONEGAI SHIMASU!!! ^___^

*skipples away*

*rolls eyes* And that... my dear friend Bishie... would have been best saved for discussion in a PM O_o

Regardless, a quick update for all the participants, I am in EXAMS all next week... so this rp will be put off until at least:
[b]Saturday 24th May[/b]

Sorry about the delay, but I figure it best to start this rp when I have time to start it [i]well[/i]. Any questions (or futher sign-ups) should be posted here or sent to me via PM ^_^

Don't worry! This isn't dead!! :p I'm just pressed for time ^____^

• 2 weeks later...
Hey now, there's no need to bring in little snipes of animosity like that now is there? No need at all. You ever heard of the phrase 'if you can't say something nice don't say it at all'? Try using it sometime, it might grow on ya.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by doukeshi03 [/i]
[B]Hey now, there's no need to bring in little snipes of animosity like that now is there? No need at all. You ever heard of the phrase 'if you can't say something nice don't say it at all'? Try using it sometime, it might grow on ya. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm doing them a favor. It's like telling someone their fly is down, or that they're wearing their pants on their head.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wrist cutter [/i]
[B]Really, using random (and incorrect) Japanese does not impress anyone.

You'd look much better if you cut it out of your speech (or typing, or whatever).[/B][/QUOTE]

1) Nobody else has had a problem with it
2) I did the same thing at the end of my first post in the thread, and you didn't pick up on that
3) I'd appreciate you not spamming my thread - like doukeshi said, nothing good to say please don't say it

Another thread you were in spoke of arrogance, yes I think this was the proof - very arrogant

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Braidless Baka [/i]
[B]1) Nobody else has had a problem with it
2) I did the same thing at the end of my first post in the thread, and you didn't pick up on that
3) I'd appreciate you not spamming my thread - like doukeshi said, nothing good to say please don't say it

Another thread you were in spoke of arrogance, yes I think this was the proof - very arrogant [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't see why everyone is up in arms about this. I [i]do[/i] have something good to say. It's helpful. You may not think so, but I pointed out that one had a flaw in their Japanese and that it was clear they were unaware. Perhaps they will rethink what they said or just not use Japanese next time. I could write a few paragraphs on how to fix the error, but nobody would read it. It would be better they refrained from inserting basic and incorrect phrases into their posts from now on, and I'm just trying to point this out to them.

Oh, and "ganbatte" was not used incorrectly. However, the "-san" you attached to the headmistress's name was if you must know (you do not give yourself a name suffix).

*twitches* First off, im learning japanese!! i know i can't phrase it right for the life of me lol but atleast im trying!

However, i would of appreciated it alot more if you *had* corrected me, instead of just telling me it was wrong. I can only get better by trying, and seeing as my stupid school only teaches french here, i have to teach myself..and i know its not always right.

Im sorry if my bad grammer or what-have-you offended you, but i wasn't hurting anyone and personally i dont see any reason to stop, atleast by typing it wrongly im more likely to get corrected. Its better than walking around thinking im doing something right.

Oh yeah, on another note. Id like to thank Baka-chan and Doukie-chan *smirks* for coming to my defense! I love you guys!! *glomps muchly*

What you did wrong...

"HAYAKU MINNA-SAN!"
Just a straightforward command. Upon which you added "ONEGAI SHIMASU!" which asks for a favor, making it more of a request. It seems correct, but you'd never see it used.

What you should've done...

"minna-san hayaku shite ne"
I think this would probably sound a bit better (though, to be a bit more formal, replace "ne" with "kudasai"). hayaku is the adverb form of hayai (fast), so it means "quickly". shite is the -te of the irregular verb "suru" meaning "to do". So basically it means "please do it quickly". -te form indicates somewhat of a request in this case, and the "ne" adds sort of an informal touch, which doesn't seem too inappropriate in this case.

There you go. I'm sure you learned a lot of Japanese skills from me typing that.

I wasn't offended, you don't realize this was for your sake. People who use just random Japanese, which at this board isn't really understood, just look silly. I'm sorry, but it's true.

I'm self-taught as well. I know what it's like to start from 0 knowledge to, well, something. But one thing you will learn, with or without me coming in to "harrass" you about it, is that no matter how much you [i]think[/i] you know, it's a foreign language and it's a big thing. Until you're communicating fluently with Japanese, you've most likely got a long ways to go. But that's what keeps me studying. Whenever I see something that just totally confuses me, I feel like despite all my studying, there's still a lot I don't know. In these times I get a lot of studying done, and I end up knowing much more than before. If you think you're always correct or right, you learn much, much slower.

Hence why it's better to keep the learning to yourself rather than spit it out randomly. It makes it very much look as though you are trying to convince us of your intelligence (which, by the way, I don't doubt). There are other ways to let that happen. But I think, at a board where very, very few people understand even basic Japanese, that the random insertion of the basic phrases is just a waste.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wrist cutter [/i]
[B]I don't see why everyone is up in arms about this.[/B][/QUOTE]

Mostly, I think it's because if you wanted to critisise a use of Japanese you should really have PMed the member concerned rather than posting it in a recruitment thread you had no intention of joining. And, however it was [i]meant[/i], it [i]did[/i] sound a little almighty and derogatory (or from my end anyway, I don't know about anyone else's). Sorry for the misunderstanding ^_^

But, that aside, another announcement:

[i]I'm planning on getting this up and running either today or tomorrow. Check back within the next few days where I will post a link to the thread in the adventure arena ^____^ (Or just keep your eyes open, whichever works!)[/i]