OtakuBoards

What is your favorite anime movie and Why?

Japan

What is your favorite anime movie and Why?

My favorite anime movie is, "X." I like it because it doesn't really follow the same plan as other action type movies. Most good guys live and win, and the bad guys get defeated and lose. Also I like Kamui.

[size=1] Besides my usual answer of Akira or Ghost in the Shell(finally watched it!), I'd have to say Grave of the Fireflies. It was one of the most moving, touching, and sad anime movies ever to be created. Very good movie, I reccomend it to anyone.[/size]

Grave of the Fireflies... I've yet to hear anything bad about that movie. Haha, thanks for the recommendation! I will certainly check it out when... uh... I don't know... whenever I get around to it!

If possible, could you give me some background info on the movie (i.e., anyone famous make it, setting, general concept, etc.)? Thanks in advance.

And sorry for referring to you as a "he" before, maladjusted! :o

Hands down has to be Cowboy Bebop Movie. It was amazing and tied in everything into the series. Had a really good deeper meaning and i still watch it over and over. The fight scenes were great and the artistic drawings of the characters and scenery were fantastic as well. The english voices in the movie are the same as the english series so most already know the voices are great.

[size=1] ^_^ lol, it's quite allright.

Background: Seita, the older brother of Setsuko, are both homeless due to a bombing of Kobe in 1945. Their mother dies, and the two children cannot contact their father, who is in the forces. The go to an aunt's house, and then go on to an air-raid shelter and the movie tells what happens.

One of the things that drew me to the movie was that it [spoiler] showed the two children dying in the very beginning, and as the movie goes on you wish that they don't, but it's inevitable.[/spoiler][/size]

My favorite anime movie is a tie between Samurai X the movie and Cowboy Bebop the movie. I like Samurai X the movie because, well, I'm a huge fan of Rurouni Kenshin, and that's what drew me to it. What made me like it so much is that it yanks your rope of emotion so much.
I like Cowboy Bebop the movie because it's kind of like a mystery but it's also an action/adventure. I think it rocks.

My fave is definitely Escaflowne!! I have a weakness for shows/films with kickass soundtracks and in my eyes Yoko Kanno can do no wrong. ^_~

I'm insanely jealous of all you people who've seen the Bebop movie!!! Anybody know if it's on DVD yet? I love that show! ;_;

Favorite? Hmm. thats a tough choice.:therock:

Well if it came down to it, I'd have to pick Cowboy Bebop: Knocking On Heaven's Door, as my favorite. This is because I'm a big fan of the show, and have gotten to know the characters.

But Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is a very close second.

Errr, tough choice. I think I will stick with my top three.

1. Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (both OVA [i]and[/i] movie versions)

2. Princess Mononoke (Gillian Anderson was great as Moro)

3. Grave of the Fireflies (depressing, but very true)

Oh jeeze, man, a favorite movie!? Well, lets just do a top three.

1. Spirited Away
People, if you haven't seen this movie, I suggest you do. Forget the fact that it's for kids, with an awesome soundtrack, an unbelievable storyline, and animation that is so beautifully drawn, one can only watch it over and over and over again. Don't rent this movie, buy it and add it to your library.

One more thing: Turnip spirits KICK!!!! Hahahah

2. Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door
A movie with Spike being Spike. AWESOME *strike a Vash pose (think love and peace)* With a jazz soundtrack that can move anybody to shake and groove, a storyline thats both original and does us justice for us by tying into the show itself, Knockin' On Heaven's Door is a movie that, not just the fans should see, but also those who like to watch anime. A great movie, add this to your library.

One more thing: The fight scenes are AWESOME *love and peace pose* No really, of all the things Cowboy Bebop shines in, its the fight scene. Oh jeeze, so beautifully drawn, you know the animators and artists had one heck of a time cordinating that so it would look right.... and it does look right. Actually, it's perfect
3. Prince Mononoke
One of the very first anime movies I've ever seen, very few compare to how great this movie really is. The storyline is awesome and the animation is beautifully drawn. Not much to say about it, since most have already seen it. But ya, in terms, in my eyes, we can call this one an absolute classic, one every otaku should watch at least once. ;D

Honorable Mentions
Honestly people, there are alot of good animes out there. Its rather hard to choose just one. But ya. If all you people have seen this animes and are looking for some other good ones, try these ones at the bottom. You'll like them just like I did. Peace

1. Grave of the Fireflies
Such a sad movie. Watch it. Awesome in every way.

2. Char's Counterattack
I think this one is a bit better than Endless Waltz. The storyline is deeper and the human psychology on each person is a bit more interesting then that of Heero and gang. Aside from that, the mecha fights and design are just as good as Endless Waltz.

3. Blood: The Last Vampire
The movie is actually part of a manga.... more like a side story to it than an actually movie. It leaves too many things unsaid. However, the movie is beautifully drawn and the storyline, for what is said about it, is very good. Plus, for being an anime, it is kinda scary. Trust me on this. You'll jump at least once when you what this movie.

4. Vampire Hunter D (either one)
A classic in a sense, watch it if you like Goth anime.

5. Akira
A nice science fiction story. If you like Sci Fi anime, watch this.

[color=darkblue]I personally love Spriggan myself. It's a great movie with a pretty nice plot twist at the end. The action is great and the animation is very nice. The main characters have depth to them, which is something I like to see. The music was very nice, too. Something you can have stuck in your head and deal with. Overall, a really cool movie.[/color]

My god people... none of you mentioned End of Evangelion... what is wrong with you all??? :p At any rate, my favorite goes to EoE hands down because of its sheer majestic conclusion to a great series.

[COLOR=firebrick][B]I'd have to say it's a tie between Metropolis and Princess Mononoke. Wonderful storyline and *stares in awe at the buildings in Metropolis and the fight scenes in Princess Mononoke* artwork. But, Endless Waltz comes in a very close second and Spirited Away comes in third. I haven't had the chance to see Grave of the Fireflies yet, but it'll probably be somewhere in the top five once I do, from what I've heard. C-ya on the other side! *flys off on one of her winged monkey soldiers*[/COLOR][/B]

Whats with everyone and Akira?! No one can appreciate that Movie...and trust me, when you say you do..You dont...Anyways..My favorite and why..
-------------------------------
AKIRA
Why?:One its one heck of a classic! Its a great show of cel-animation. The plot is moving, it twists and makes you use your head if you arent careful. The characters! Well..lets just say..After you watch it, its hard to forget them. The fighting, oh my..the fighting..Lets see..Watch the beginning and you'll see what I mean. It great on Psychic powers, really shows what Psychics can do! The relations between the characters are DEEP! Shows what a pushover can do to his friends when hes set over his limits! I suggest you watch this Movie if you haven't already..and if you have..WATCH IT AGAIN!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SilpheedPilot [/i]
[B]Whats with everyone and Akira?! No one can appreciate that Movie...and trust me, when you say you do..You dont...Anyways..My favorite and why..
-------------------------------
[/b][/quote]

[color=indigo]Actually, I am positive that know how to appreciate Akira. I am not sure if you are trying to take a ?holier than thou? attitude, but I don?t enjoy being snubbed, especially by someone who doesn?t give any true reason why we don?t ?adequately? appreciate Akira. It seems to me that you just stated the obvious.

That being said, Akira is [b]one[/b] of my favorite animes. I think I like it just because it was the first cartoon that I saw that was really a true science fiction movie. Another movie that I really like is Ninja Scroll. I absolutely love the artwork in this film, especially the background. I think this movie has incredibly crisp animation and it is full of adventure, horror, and it has quite an interesting love story?[/color]

Wow, the general opinion really seems to revolve around Cowboy Bebop, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies. Huh. Gotta see those.

But at the moment, my favorites are Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and X: The Movie. Vampire Hunter D because of the intensely gothic art and sweet bloody action, and X because of, yes, the dark and richly detailed art and lots and lots of blood (not to mention one of my favorite end songs in all of anime.) Not exactly the most inspired plots of all time (vampire hunters, end of the world), but artistically brilliant, definitely.

I got BURNED! Sorry for stating a pretty known "fact"(And I mean that in an opinion purpose, mind you!) that most people have not, will not, and probably will never see Akira. Why? Because it doesn't appeal to younger generations. It has lots of blood, guts, gore. Yeah yeah...you;re going to tell me. "We have all seen that in other Anime"
Well? Most of the other Anime you've seen so far isn't nearly as old as Akira. That is a LANDMARK film! Added bonus: Dont go into Vampire Hunter D, I know that its older...
Thus concluding my....stuff...