OtakuBoards

Are their REAL psychics

Neoclone-7

I've been wondering if anybody besides me believes in"psychic" abilities. Like seeing the future in dreams, talking with people who have died (like that guy on the TV show, I don't remember his name). I personally believe in it. And have had many firsthand experiences with this kind of stuff. What does everyone else think?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't believe in talking to people that died, but it's always a possibility. Possibilities are something never to close your mind to...

But other psychic abilities, yes. I think it takes a strong intuition, a strong will, and a lot of practice.

Guest Crimson Spider
Nope! No psychics. Every single trick that they use has been disproven. They are just magicians that call themselves psychics. They can't talk to the dead. They aren't even in this realm! That guy in the TV show can't talk to them. Every single time, someone says something about their deceased, and then he just catches it somehow. He probably has some accomplis that helps him in doing this stuff. He askes general questions, and is very often wrong about obvious details, such as gender. I watched his show, and he is just pulling information from them, and they don't even know it! Not to mention what he says can mean anything.

Those future predictors are so vague in what they say that everyone can find a way to relate by the end of the day. They are actually reading from a script. They also usually have some sort of accomplis.

They just trick people. Nothing real.

Personally, I find it absolutely possible. Actually, it's probable. The human mind has a vast amount of potential, much of which is unused. But, unfortunately, Miss Cleo ruined the whole damn thing. *I AIN'T your child, %@&#$!* ;) lol

Yes. i dont believe all of them, but i believe that there are people out there who can. there are manyn things that cant be explained. i myself am a Cynic at heart, but some people probably can. i have had deja vú heaps. who says there arent other things. i mean look at Uri Geller. he can do all this stuff, that scientists cant explain. they have done so many teste with him, but he shouldnt be able to do what he can. so it is possible

Guest Crimson Spider
We use all of our Brain. 30% of it is for vision alone. After all of the senses, about 60% of our brain is used. The rest is for memory, and reasoning. That is the Cerebrum. The Cerebellum is used soley for Balance and Coordination. It has the compacity for nothing else. The Stem controls all of our movements like breathing, and heartbeat. Can't remember the name right now.

So we use about 85% of our brain in our youth. When we grow old, we use up that last 15% for repair, and all of the other memory. That is why old people are very often senile. They have used up all of their brain, and have no more. So every bit of lost brain cells takes a little away at a time.

[quote]Nope! No psychics. Every single trick that they use has been disproven. They are just magicians that call themselves psychics. They can't talk to the dead. They aren't even in this realm! That guy in the TV show can't talk to them. Every single time, someone says something about their deceased, and then he just catches it somehow. He probably has some accomplis that helps him in doing this stuff. He askes general questions, and is very often wrong about obvious details, such as gender. I watched his show, and he is just pulling information from them, and they don't even know it! Not to mention what he says can mean anything.[/quote] Yeah, [I]Crossing Over with John Edwards[/I]... I still can't figure out how he does it! C'mon, I know a lot of the stuff is general, but with the random group he has, it's relatively specific, you know? If anyone figures out John Edwards, tell me! I know it's fake, but I just don't know how he pulls it off. :) [quote]We use all of our Brain. 30% of it is for vision alone. After all of the senses, about 60% of our brain is used. The rest is for memory, and reasoning. That is the Cerebrum. The Cerebellum is used soley for Balance and Coordination. It has the compacity for nothing else. The Stem controls all of our movements like breathing, and heartbeat. Can't remember the name right now.[/quote] O_o Haha, if we used just 20%-30% of our total brain's capacity at a single time, we'd be cooking it from all the heat energy that's released from electrical and chemical transfers. Human brains are big, and capable of too many things. No one ever uses 100% of their brain... I'm pretty sure that a person uses 5% of his brain at any given time (although geniuses are said to use 9%), so if we used 60% for senses (which we use all the time), we're pretty screwed. :) [quote]So we use about 85% of our brain in our youth. When we grow old, we use up that last 15% for repair, and all of the other memory. That is why old people are very often senile. They have used up all of their brain, and have no more. So every bit of lost brain cells takes a little away at a time.[/quote] o_O :confused: The brain isn't a consumable product. The reason why old people become "senile" is a fault of our advancement in self-care. The average lifespan for a brain cell is 100 years (+ or - a few years). Their brain cells die, and whatever stored within goes with it. No one used to live past 40, and now we've got people going to 110. Old people have barely scratched the surface of their brain's potential, but the brain cells are dying, and what are you going to do/function without them? Oh, we have all the brain cells we are ever going get at birth: our body produces them during "incubation" :D:blush:, and, for some reason, stops or forgets how to soon after production (which is even before birth). We get no more. That's the reason why damage to the brain is so debilitating, and why people rarely ever recover from them. That's also why people always recommend going to the doctor if something's awry in your head. :)

Anyway, to stay on topic, I believe that psychics are possible, but, at this time, we have only been blessed with conartists and phoneys.

Seems to me that people get "intuition" and "psychic ability" confused.

Such is the case with Jon Edwards. He has no psychic ability, just a very good intuition. He's been doing his act for a good couple of years now, and if he has any sense at all, I'm quite positive he'd take note of patterns in his subjects. He isn't psychic or mystical; he just can read people really well.

When you've got someone going and believing what you do, you can get them to tell you ANYTHING. It's a matter of trust--or gullibility, I'm not sure which yet.

Regarding predicting the future...stock analysts. They can very accurately predict what the market will do, but they aren't considered psychic. Just because someone makes a prediction about the end of the world of a war breaking out doesn't make them gifted. Predicting the end of the world...the village idiot becoming king...they're simple entertainment tricks.

Basically, there is no living medium between the world of the living and the dead--if the world of the dead even exists, and I could predict in the next 150 years, the world will be destroyed in a massive nuclear war. Chances are, that's what will happen but that doesn't make me psychic.

The thing about talking to the dead, is actually really simple. Before the show the guy has some person he knows go and act as though they are just another spectator. This person asks other people about there deceased friend in some casual conversation. Then the person goes and tells all of this to the person that "Talks to the dead".

Guest Fly-T
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crimson Spider [/i]
[B]Nope! No psychics. Every single trick that they use has been disproven. They are just magicians that call themselves psychics. They can't talk to the dead. They aren't even in this realm! That guy in the TV show can't talk to them. Every single time, someone says something about their deceased, and then he just catches it somehow. He probably has some accomplis that helps him in doing this stuff. He askes general questions, and is very often wrong about obvious details, such as gender. I watched his show, and he is just pulling information from them, and they don't even know it! Not to mention what he says can mean anything.

Those future predictors are so vague in what they say that everyone can find a way to relate by the end of the day. They are actually reading from a script. They also usually have some sort of accomplis.

They just trick people. Nothing real. [/B][/QUOTE]

Although a little irrelevant....They did an episode on South Park about that guy...And Stan gave away a tip on how thye figures that kinda stuff out.....Me I think it's possible to see forms that seem similiar to decesased ppl but talking to them is somethin different....

I belive in Psychic ablity but most avertiest psychics are either fakes cons. But I belive that i have a limited ablity to sense thing and see future events in my dreams. on several occations i was half awake half asleep I heared voices that would tell of something happening. Once they told what my dad was going to say before he was even home. Or Sensing a friend that you don't even know is at the mall and follow the sense strieght to him. Thoughs types of ablities i belive in because they happen to me.

[size=1] There are real psychics, I believe though that they get their powers from demonic spirits and principalities.

Then there are those that are so vague, it's possible to apply it to anything. Like I could predict in a person "an emotional trauma" This desn't explain alot, and a person being "mediated" could easily apply it to anything that's happened to them in the heat of the moment.

I'm very cynical about psychics. [/size]

[size=1][color=000066][b]Ah, it depends on what you mean.

Many types of "supernatural" seeing people are grouped under the "psychic" type.

Mediums, per se, are people who recieve information from the spiritual realm. I believe in them.

There are many, many more (most of which I cannot think of because it is 12:30 am), and I mostly believe in all. I [i]am[/i] a Pagan, so it is natural to me.

-L/Z[/b][/color][/size]

I have a theroy on all this psychic activity. I thing that we all have latent, or unused, psychic abilites and this is strong between family and friends. Thats why you seem to be thinking the same thing as a friend or say the same thing at the exact same time as the other. It's because you've spent so much time together you get a sort of psychic bond between you, what d'you all think to that theroy?

[color=#707875]Most psychics use a technique called "Cold Reading". I saw it explained in detail once...very interesting. Very convincing.

I also saw a documentary about Harry Houdini. They demonstrated how, toward the end of his career, he publicly disproved spirit mediums. It was very clever -- both what he did, and what the spirit mediums did. But world war one really signaled the rebirth of the whole spirit medium movement. And Mr. Houdini was dead by then, so he couldn't do much about it.

But yeah, I find the whole thing interesting. And I feel sad about the number of people who have been unfairly preyed upon by spirit mediums (like John Edwards and others). As far as psychics...I can't say that I believe it. There has been a $1 million reward for any psychic who can [i]prove[/i] their abilities under "sterile conditions" (ie: no hidden objects, a clean room, etc). And as yet, in many years, nobody has stepped up to claim it. Funny, that. [/color]

[color=#707875]It goes back to that comment I made about the $1 million offer. It's easy money. All you have to do is prove your "gift". Yet nobody, in about a decade, has even attempted to claim it.

That's certainly not a coincidence.

As far as John Edwards goes...I think that what he says is mostly predictable. He uses the cold reading technique, without doubt. Obviously he's clever -- clever enough to have his own TV show and to make something believable. And maybe the fact that his message is mostly positive...maybe that justifies him to an extent. But regardless of the positive/negative outcome, he's dealing with people's raw emotions. They're putting trust in him. I hope he at least never comes out with a negative comment...because that would make him a very cruel man.[/color]

I believe that there we all have phychic powers. I believe that phychic ability is stored in an rarely used part of our brain. Some people use this part more than others and some never at all.
Think about it. With all the unexplained stuff in the world phychic forces is one of the more likely exlinations. Heck it could even explain ghosts and past lives.
I really don't know this is just a basic theory but I like to keep an open mind about this sort of thing.

I believe it's real. You hear all those stories about twins being able to communicate with each other when they're miles apart, or two people sharing a dream and communicating to each other in the dream, or people correctly foreseeing the future (sometimes multiple times). There has to be a shred of truth in some of these stories. Just because most of not all of the psychics who make themselves known are frauds, that doesn't mean ALL of them are faking it. In fact, I think the real psychics would probably want to keep quiet about their abilities, for fear of getting called a lying cheat.

I like to think of psi powers as magic, though. Not magic as in sparklie stars and magic missiles, but as in using the mind to make something [i]happen[/i], just like that. *snaps fingers* *lightbulb explodes* See?

[B]i can't say that i beleive in psychic abilities or powers because i've never been given enough evidense thats been able to sway me in either dirrection, but for the most parts i'm very sceptic about it. i just don't buy it, being able to comminicate with the dead or predicting the future with substantial accuracy. As for John Edwards, he is a very clever con artist, and about that million dollar prize for anyone being able to prove their psychic abilities i wonder why no one has stepped up to claim it...[/B]

Guest Crimson Spider
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by AzureWolf [/i]
O_o Haha, if we used just 20%-30% of our total brain's capacity at a single time, we'd be cooking it from all the heat energy that's released from electrical and chemical transfers. Human brains are big, and capable of too many things. No one ever uses 100% of their brain... I'm pretty sure that a person uses 5% of his brain at any given time (although geniuses are said to use 9%), so if we used 60% for senses (which we use all the time), we're pretty screwed. :)

[B]Actually, the chemical transfers produce very little heat, and the brain only produces about 1.5 volts of electricity, and no where near anything that could be classified as an amp. This volt is actually spread out through not only the brain, but the entire nerve system. I've been shocked by a light socket more than once, and My body handled that pretty darn well. Ampage is what really determins how dangerous electricity would be. No amps, means that the volts aren't very strong. So our brain can take it very easily. Genieses are using just as much brain power as anyone else. Just for something else.

As I said, Vision takes up 30% of our brain workings. That means that unless we are asleep, 30% of our brain is constantly on the job transfering the information from our eyes and make it a picture for the rest of the brain to follow.[/B]

o_O :confused: The brain isn't a consumable product. [B]Yes it is[/B] The reason why old people become "senile" is a fault of our advancement in self-care. The average lifespan for a brain cell is 100 years (+ or - a few years). Their brain cells die, and whatever stored within goes with it. No one used to live past 40, and now we've got people going to 110. Old people have barely scratched the surface of their brain's potential, but the brain cells are dying, and what are you going to do/function without them?

[B]Each brain cell is very, very versitile. Every single cell in the brain is almost exactly the same. They can do eachother's job. Brain cells are killed very easily, such as a slight lack of blood to the brain damages them, like holding a persons breath for too long damages it.[/B]

Oh, we have all the brain cells we are ever going get at birth: our body produces them during "incubation" :D:blush:, and, for some reason, stops or forgets how to soon after production (which is even before birth). We get no more. That's the reason why damage to the brain is so debilitating, and why people rarely ever recover from them. That's also why people always recommend going to the doctor if something's awry in your head. :)
[B]Yeah. That is my point. There is a lot of brain cells sitting there, doing nothing. Since we now live for a lot longer than usual, these brain cells are used, then then we have no extra left. Meaning that your brain cells forget other stuff for the newer memory coming in. That is also why old people can't remember well, as they don't have the compacity to do so. Once a brain cell is gone, it is gone for good.[/B]
[/QUOTE]

Sevonts are a different story. Parts of their brain just don't do the stufff it is supposed to do, so it does something else. How else do you think that they are so good at doing only certain stuff, and nothing else?