OtakuBoards

Mythological Coolness

AzureWolf

I'm a fan of Japanese mythology. I love the Japanese style dragons (Usually no wings, more of a guardian style, I suppose). However, my favourite mythological creature is the Shishi. It is a mix of a dragon, lion, tiger and dog. The Japanese Shishi is a mix of the Korean Koma-inu (or Korean Guardian Dog), the Chinese Kara-shishi (Or Chinese Guardian Lion) with some dragon tossed in. The Shishi was the basis for one of the Pokémon, can't remember which...

[color=hotpink][size=1]HA! This is definitely not a hard one for me.

[center][b]Mermaids.[/b]
Hands down.[/center]

I love them. They are beautiful. I wish I was one. I LOVE LOVE LOVE water and the ocean and waterfalls and yes. I want to be a mermaid. I was watching Hercules today actually (The TV series with Kevin Sorbo) and the girl named Nautica was a mermaid and she had the typical long wavy hair and her attire was just GORGEOUS. So I was inspired and I drew a picture.

I think I was supposed to be born as a Mermaid. And I always say that, too, because it's true! I may "supposedly" be an earth element, but I love water. Maybe that's why I'm so attracted to the water elements. (In this case, Pisces.)

So yes. And I also like [b]Sirens[/b] and [b]Fairies[/b]. I am so surprised no one has said fairies. They are beautiful, too. I used to draw them all the time. Now I have the most awesome pink fairy shirt. *Huggles it*

But I still love mermaids the most.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Conna_da_fox [/i]
[B]I love dragons, there are so many types with so many cool powers. But out to other mythical I like elves to, elves and dragons are awsome.
Elves, they are folk who live in the woods... well some don't :P... They are very good at archery and you never know what other powers they could have. I think most evf eyes are so cool and their ears... all pointy and such.
But those are my two favorite that I can think of. I know there are more that I like, but I just can't think straight. [/B][/QUOTE]

I like elves too! I think they're ears are cool and they do usually have neat looking eyes. Characters that have elfish ears I think can usually move them, like a twitch or just move them more easily in general, which I think is kinda funny.

Now, dragons I really like too. I don?t like just one type of dragon but all of them, really. It?s that there are so many types and can be so many types that make them so cool, esp. if they?re in a book.
I really like reading books that have dragons in them because to me they seem very interesting and dragons play slightly different roles in whichever story is being told with them and have slightly different abilities. Also, what's even better is how other creatures react to dragons whether it's in a good way or a bad one. What I mean is, a dragon can be a good thing and have a virtuous role in a story and they can be a bad thing and be more devious.

[size=1]We can only choose between the Dragon or the Phoenix?

Phoenix..

From what I know of it, it's just beautiful.

Look at mankind itself...we are a good metaphor for a Phoenix. We burn ourselves to ashes, and from those ashes we are reborn. Just like the Phoenix.

It's just a beautiful way to see things.

I also like the Chimera...and the Cockatrice. Both I have written poems about, as well as the Phoenix.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RPCrazy [/i]
[B]I've seen it as both...however, I think Greek/Romain mythologies (I always get the two mixed up, forgive me. >_<) have enough interesting myth creatures, so I go with it being Satan's. ^_^ [/B][/QUOTE]

I still don't agree. I don't remember the bible ever mentioning Satan having a dog, let alone a three headed one.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SadClown [/i]
[B]I still don't agree. I don't remember the bible ever mentioning Satan having a dog, let alone a three headed one. [/B][/QUOTE]

It depends, because doesn't it mention Cerberus somewhere in 'Dante's Inferno', yes that's it, Cerberus lives in the 3rd Circle of hell...the one that punishes the gluttonous.

Anyway, onto the mythological creature thing. Well...let's see. I've always been keen on mythology, but I delve into the stories more than the actual beings that dwel within. Sure I know about them but I don't particularly love any of them. I probably did when I was younger...having a fascination with anything and everything back then.

However if I must choose something, I go with the centaur. Yep, part human part horse (although if you go into books and games etc you can find that they can be part human part dragon too ^_^). Anyway, the star sign of sagittarius, the centaur. Wise, strong...almost always depicted in greek (and subsequently roman) mythologies as being the teacher. Proud beings and excellent hunters/marksmen.

Not an amazing favourite, like I said I don't think I have any. But there's some info ^_~

P.S vampires rule too *chuckels*

Recently I had a rather interesting dream which ,signifigantly ,had to do with Mythology.

My dream started of walking down a long pathway with fields of grass either side of me. As the dream progressed ,and as I progressed along the path ,a man somehow appeared infront of me. Except this wasn't a man ,it was a giant in armour like clothing .I looked up to him and said hi ,'' hello, my name is Martin he replied. He then went on to say that I was a warrior just like him.
This dream had no signifigant value to me untill a few weeks ago. I was at the library with a friend,studing when the name clicked into my head ,martin!I found a book of names and looked up the name martin. It turned out that martin also means to be warrior in celtic.Scary!

My Faveriote mythological creature would have to be the Griffon, or gryphon, however you choose to spell it.
I like this griffon because of its power, and its ability to fly.
The phoenix i also like for its appearence, healing powers and immortality. But if i were to choose between them i would say the Griffon.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by doukeshi03 [/i]
[B]It depends, because doesn't it mention Cerberus somewhere in 'Dante's Inferno', yes that's it, Cerberus lives in the 3rd Circle of hell...the one that punishes the gluttonous. [/B][/QUOTE]
Dante's Inferno was written more than a thousand years after christ died IIRC so no that's not part of the bible. Also it was obviously taken from Greek mythology.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Harry [/i]
[B]Dante's Inferno was written more than a thousand years after christ died IIRC so no that's not part of the bible. Also it was obviously taken from Greek mythology. [/B][/QUOTE]

Obviously, I know it's not part of the bible but it is focused deep within Catholic dogma. Many parts of it are taken from seperate mythologies such as the furies, cerberus etc. I realise this. I was just putting this forward as where sadclown might have heard it from ^_~

Between Dragons and Phoenix, its an easy choice for me. Phoenix hands down. Just the pure symbolism of the destructive flames and rising from what that fire left behind, the healing ablities, and of course, the flying. Not to mension its prettyness ^_^. but what can i say, i've always been attracted to birds.
I also love elves. They're always so wise and beautiful. And when i think of them, i think of forests, with light shinning down between the leaves of trees... gorgeous. So yeah, those are my two favorite creatures.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by doukeshi03 [/i]
[B]Yes I know...I was just putting it forward as an idea...jeez try to help and you get hung. [/B][/QUOTE]

No hard feelings, just correcting misunderstandings.

What about Chimera's. Everyone's got to love them. Them and Manticores!!

[color=crimson]Since there was a disagreement on Greek and Roman and Christian mythology, here's some fun info.
The Roman culture was Hellinistic, which means based off Greek society. All the Roman gods are just the Greek gods with different names. Zeus and Jupiter are the same, Mars and Aries, Minerva and Athena. You get the point. Hades was Pluto.
When Christianity is thrown into the mix, the devil/Satan is kinda based off Hades. Since Hades had Cerberus, it was only "natural" for stories and tales to get mixed and melded.
Chimeras, I can't believe someone mentioned them! ^_^ >glomps sadclown<

~Lumi ^_^[/color]

^^ I agree with what your saying, however, the stoies of Lucifer and Hades are completly different. It would be just as inaccurate to compare Lucifer and the ruler of the dead from any other Polytheistic religion just because they are two sides of the same coin.

Chimera's are awsome though, arent they...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Manic [/i]
[B]It's so majestic. A symbol of power, but not a symbol of fear. It's something that just seems so respectful. A bird that rises from its own ashes. Something that cannot be destroyed. A giver of life. Everytime I've seen the Phoenix represented in some form of media entertainment, its always made fire look more beautiful than dangerous.[/B][/QUOTE] [COLOR=crimson]
I love phoenixes. Dragons are awesome too. [/color]

[color=crimson]First off, Dragons forever. *raises fist*
===

I enjoy Doppelgangers. Although if I ever saw mine I would more than likely grin and pee my pants. It is such an interesting myth, one I tell frequently to my friends [all whom are not that much into myths, but ironically love a good story from Ken.]

I have been fascinated by fairies since I played the role of Oberon in a Midsummer Nights Dream a while back. So I enjoy reading of them, too.

Now that I look back on it the role of Oberon ironically fits me. o_O;

Or I might have made a good Puck.

[i]If we shadows have offended, Think but this, and all is mended: That you have but slumbered here, While these visions did appear.[/i]
[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DeathKnight [/i]
[B][color=crimson]I have been fascinated by fairies since I played the role of Oberon in a Midsummer Nights Dream a while back. So I enjoy reading of them, too.

Now that I look back on it the role of Oberon ironically fits me. o_O;

Or I might have made a good Puck.
[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Please, do not remind me of A Midsummer Nights Dream. I still have bad mental images stuck in my head. *shudders*

Anywhoose, I love dragons. They're just so... cool. O_o;

Still, my favorite mythological creatures are:
-Cerebrus
-Dragons
-Gryphons (griffons)
-Harpies
-Sirens
-Odion's eight-legged horse (Norse mythology, can't remember it's name)
AND
-Anubis (Egyption; Jackel-headed god of mummification)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DeathKnight [/i]
[B][color=crimson][i]If we shadows have offended, Think but this, and all is mended: That you have but slumbered here, While these visions did appear.[/i]
[/color] [/B][/QUOTE] [SIZE=1][i]...and this weak and idle theme, no more yielding but a dream...[/i]

Doppelgangers, heh.

I used to tell Shy how much he was like one of my school friends; one day he asked something like, "How is my doppelganger doing?" and I nearly fell over. Heh, I thought it was the coolest thing. [/SIZE]