OtakuBoards

Theryan side

Krademon

Theryan is a spiritual energy where you are most closely related to one sort of animal or creature. The beleif goes that a person will have habits, actions, thought or abilities that seem most closely linked to a certain animal. For instance some brezerkers in norse history focused energy in a certain point on their body and went into a brezerker rage when they beleived they had the energy of a bear in them. I beleie I am most closely related to a wolf and use it as my wolf.
What's yours?

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dodgerblue]I researched this somewhere, it said that if you eat a lot or get angry easily you may be a big animal like a wolf or a big cat. This is kind of how I got my nickname Kitty, I act like a cat, and relate to being a cat ^^;;. Its quite strange.

-[B]Kitty[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Well, let's see here. I act like a--human?

We're all unique individuals as humans, but I don't think we have much in common with animals. At least, not any single animals over any other.

For instance, the Norse Beserker: They were extremely aggressive, yes. But the bear is not by nature extremely aggressive. They, like any normal animal, take their own health into consideration as well.

Next, I may say I have, oh, I don't know. I'll be cliche, the heart of a lion, because I'm brave or something. There again, lions do not have an abnormal amount of bravery in comparison to other animals. They can't--bravery is a state of mind that requires defying natural fear, and lions go by instinct. They'll only be exceptionally brave when it is necessary, just like any other animal.

Therefore, no one has a spirit really likened to any particular animal. They only have the traits that they associate with an animal that appeals to them.

-Justin

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Justin [/i]
[B]For instance, the Norse Beserker: They were extremely aggressive, yes. But the bear is not by nature extremely aggressive. They, like any normal animal, take their own health into consideration as well.

Next, I may say I have, oh, I don't know. I'll be cliche, the heart of a lion, because I'm brave or something. There again, lions do not have an abnormal amount of bravery in comparison to other animals. They can't--bravery is a state of mind that requires defying natural fear, and lions go by instinct. They'll only be exceptionally brave when it is necessary, just like any other animal.[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=orangered]That's true enough, but these animals have stereotypes within certain beliefs. So, for example, dogs are known to be loyal. That's a stereotype, and while it's not true for "all" dogs, a majority of dogs are exceptionally loyal. The bear, while not always agressive, will be more agressive than some when it sees reason. The thing about the lion probably comes from the fact that lions (not lionesses - though they probably would as well) will fight ferociously for what he sees as his, and will face an opponent, even if he's aware he's going to lose. Especially over matters concerning his pride (as in the group of lions, not the emotion).

So, for the sake of the topic, I think this belief in animal-traits is well based, and I see no reason why it's not a viable possibility. Personally, I feel very attuned to cats. I'm nothing like a cat, perhaps a kitten to some respect, but I'm not graceful, or cunning, or independant, or anything associated with cats. But I feel atuned to them. Perhaps it is, as Justin said, because they're my favourite animals. Or, begs the question, are they my favourites [i]because[/i] I'm atuned to them? Cats like to nap alot and be cosy, there's a link, though it's not such an obvious stereotype.

I'm more atuned to cats than the Boar at any rate, which is my Chinese zodiac animal O_o;;[/color]

[COLOR=royalblue]Well, I must admit that I have always had a closeness to large cats of any type. Upon further investigation, involving asking several aquaintences and friends, they all conclude one thing. I am a tiger. Which is something I already knew...it is my zodiac sign and my absolute favorite animal of all time. Valick anyone?

Aaaaanyways yes. My spiritual, zodiac, and favorite animal is the tiger. Specifically the Siberian tiger.[/COLOR]

[color=#707875]It's interesting that everyone is associated with a cat/big cat or something. Nobody is saying "My spiritual link is with an armadillo".

I agree with Justin on this one. What he has described about links with animals is also something that I would personally apply to other "spiritual" things. I think that most of this stuff is created by humans for human consumption. So it usually comes down to how you see yourself, or something.

But I also somewhat agree with Braidless Baka. While a [i]real[/i] spiritual link probably doesn't exist, the perception and stereotypical elements [i]do[/i] exist.

We have perceptions of animals just as we have perceptions of other human beings. And that relates to stereotypes too...we create categories in our mind, to make digestion of information easier. I know that sounds horribly clinical, but I think that's what underlies most of it.

In that regard, a link with animals makes sense. If you talk about the traits of a dog (loyal, obedient and so on) and then you apply it to a human...it makes sense to anyone, because it's easily understood. Know what I mean? It's like an effective method of communicating your personality by simply saying "I'm aligned with a dog" or something.

I haven't explained that very well, but eh...it's late here. ~_^

[/color]

[size=1]Umm... most people refer to me as a monkey, or some other related primitive creature. So that would probably have to be it. One of my friends even sometimes calls me her "monkey boy", lol.

I think it has to do with my tendency to want to climb in out out, up and down, and around anything I can find. I am very lanky which is a somewhat common attribute among such animals. Mostly it has to do with my habit of climbing, swinging, jumping, etc. from place to place when given the chance. Sometimes I can even get the walk of a money down, lol... sometimes. It is a bit confusing, and I do not always feel like walking on my knuckles.[/size]

Hmm... in all honesty, if I resembled any animal in particular, it would probably be a deer. Of course, if I had the choice, I'd rather be like a wolf or a hawk or something. But oh well. I say I'm like a deer because I'm skittish, I like to nibble all the time (ya know, grazing), and I like to be surrounded by people. Although the term "herd" isn't normally used in a positive sense....

~Dagger~

It could also be the spirital representation of a desired personality or a extrnal way you would want to be seen by other people. For instance I would prefer to be seen as a calculating, patient and observant person. Problem is I;m realy an energetic, fun-loving and as far from serious as hotdogs are from mars.

I belive it is impossible to feel connected to animals more than nature, although I couldn't totally sympathize because I've never actually [I]tried[/I] feeling that way.

I think this philosophy is inherently wrong. Believe what you want to, but people are looking at this from a backwards perspective. We have given [B]human[/B] qualities to animals when describing their personalities, as it is impossible to describe them in any other way than this figurative form. I belive when we assign human qualities, or put them into a sense to help identify the creature it is inevitable that one relate to those qualities. I.E.) a lazy turtle. Turtles are not lazy, their slow movement and metabolism has helped us to describe them with an inherently human character. Lazy. So can a lazy person identify with a turtle? In this respect I belive not.

You see? Therefore I think we can postulate on "spiritual energy" , we need to adress this issue. For example, the bear is actually quite docile, at least most species. Bears fight the same as any other creature; competition, dominance, defending young, defending a kill, mating. I think the idea that a bear is an aggressive and powerful creature of fury (beserker, no less!) helps us formulate a certain sterotyped image in our heads. It shouldn't be veiwed as definitive, it's just to encourage and help our initial understandings of creatures. So, in this respect, I find this philosophy untrue to its nature (pun intended :P)

Let us see....
I eat heaps. Instant-Pig
I read heaps. Instant-Worm
I revel in driving crazily on games. Instant-Hoon
I think only of myself sometimes. Instant-Poodle
I am cynical and sarcastic. Instant-Me.

So technically I am a piggish, worm-like, crazy-***, upmyself, jumped up, Me. Just like most people. :p I am sure I have good characteristics too, but there you have it.

[Note]: Depending on what you think of me, this may or may not be entirely true. Read into it what you want, but I am better than this. Slightly.

:p

[color=indigo]I have said before that if I have any connection to an animal, it would have to be the stereotypical collie/sheep herding canine, just because we have similar characteristics. Despite being very loyal and affectionate to their immediate family/master, collies are usually independent animals. They learn tasks simply and work hard when they must, but if allowed they remain lazy and idol creatures. They are also greedy animals at time , and enjoy being pampered with food and affection, although they are content at going without for long periods of time. Those polar opposite characteristics also tend to sum me up somewhat?that and I enjoy chasing cars?[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Drix D'Zanth[/i]
[B]I.E.) a lazy turtle. Turtles are not lazy, their slow movement and metabolism has helped us to describe them with an inherently human character. Lazy. So can a lazy person identify with a turtle? In this respect I belive not. [/B]

I don't care what you say. I'm still a ninja turtle, and there's nothing you can do about it.:grumble:

• 2 weeks later...
I think that the ideas buzzing round this thread are more along the lines of a "personification of our personalities". I don't see my theyrian wolfish side as a vicious mangey carnivour, but as a silent watcher.
Circuit/J you said you were a ninja turtle, well what do you see your Ninja Turtle doing, it's personality. Heck what do you see a ninja turtle as. It's just the way that we perceive these creatures\animals that effects which ones we would coose.

Well, the ninja turtles as a whole represent the different aspects of me, even though they overall make absolutely [I]no[/I] sense (think about it: they're turtles who fight mutant rhinos, boars, and a guy who, essentially, is a blend of Sauron and Jason Vorhees.) You must realize that ninja turtles are incredibly complex beings and that for me to describe our intangible connection would be like trying to explain the universe....except with more pizza involved. HOWEVER, they have apparently come out with a new series in which the turtles' entire mindset can be summed up to "TURTLE-HULK KILL WORLD!!" This shockingly inaccurate display of such beautiful-minded creatures quite saddens me....