OtakuBoards

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Epitome

Some of you may know that they are re-filming another Texas Chainsaw Massacre. And I think this one will be the best. It looks so awesome and for those of you who have seen the trailers for it... What do you think it will be like... Better or Worse than the original or worse and why?

Hmmm, I've seen the previews for the remake, but I can't really tell you if its gonna be better or worse, than the first. This is mainly because I have yet to see it.

Frankly I don't really see why they're even remaking the first one, when it was already good enough.

Oh well, I guess they're just trying to bring life back into this already dead series.
I mean did you see the last one? It was horrible.:drunk:

Part of me wonders why the hell they are even making it. There are some movies that just shouldn't be remade. People may argue what is a classic is and what isn't, but I think it's safe to say that this movie is a horror classic. Considering how old it is, it has lost very little of its effect since then.

The other part of me thinks this looks pretty damn cool. The trailer is well done, the movie looks changed enough that it might be worth seeing just to see what is different and so on. Plus a good portion of the soundtrack was done by Marilyn Manson, which makes me interested (he also did Resident Evil).

Obviously it lost a lot of its snuff quality. It doesn't look gritty anymore. It doesn't look like someone just taped it with a camcorder, which to me, really added to the first one.

So I don't know. I'm sure I'll see it either way. What's probably worse is that they want to remake Halloween too. I sure as hell hope that doesn't pan out.

I think the only reason they are making it is to remind people about him(his last movie was in the 60s). The buzz is that he is going up against Michael Myers in the semifinal round of the monsters championships(the winner will be crowned the greatest monster of all time). Then the winner of those two will go on to fight the winner of Freddy vs. Jason.

I hated the first movie myself the gore looked really fake and the people were so stupid. The idea of a man carrying a heavy chainsaw just isn't scarey anymore; not only is it hard for him to catch you with the saw, but when he does he'll have to start it up (who would run with a live saw in his hands). I'd be gone by the time he was ready to kill me. The dum characters stood there screaming waiting for him to get it started so they could die.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hells Fire [/i]
[B]

I hated the first movie myself the gore looked really fake and the people were so stupid. The idea of a man carrying a heavy chainsaw just isn't scarey anymore; not only is it hard for him to catch you with the saw, but when he does he'll have to start it up (who would run with a live saw in his hands). I'd be gone by the time he was ready to kill me. The dum characters stood there sreaming waiting for him to get it started so they could die. [/B][/QUOTE]
Well let's put things in perspective. First of all this was a very low budget film (think blair witch project, but cheaper), second of all there is no gore in this movie. They made it so you just knew what happened, didn't actually see it (like the girl going on the hook). I don't think you understood that Leatherface was a lunatic so I bet he would run with a chainsaw.

I'll make judgement once I see it, I saw the old TCM and i loved it. I think that movie had the kind of effect that Jaws and Deliverance had in that if you're out driving with your buds and you hear a chainsaw, don't stop the car! I think TCM was the begining of idiot teenegers being cut up into little peices because they were too stupid to leave the house when they wander upstairs yelling "hello" in eerie silence. Regardless the're funny movies to watch and I can't wait for the new movie to come out.

Now I don't want to seem morbid but all I can say for now is:

Pretty people being senselessly slaughtered Muahahahahahaha!!!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Angelus_Necare [/i]
[B]
Pretty people being senselessly slaughtered Muahahahahahaha!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Now thats the best part of this horror film. And I have to agree with Semjaza when he says that they have kinda took all the classic part of the movie out of it... but remaking it could make it even more of a classic and a better one as well. And am I the only one that didnt know that this was based upon a true story... I found out when I watched a new trailer for it and it showed like the newspapers and stuff.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hataki Vash [/i]
[B]but remaking it could make it even more of a classic and a better one as well. [/b][/quote]
That's some very wishful thinking there.

[quote][b] And am I the only one that didnt know that this was based upon a true story... I found out when I watched a new trailer for it and it showed like the newspapers and stuff. [/B][/QUOTE]
It's loosely based on Ed Gein. Psycho is too, and some others.
[url]http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/gein/bill_1.html[/url]

[size=1] Oh, the memories.

The original [i]The Texas Chainsaw Massacre[/i] was probably the first scary I watched and [b]remembered[/b]. I was about 6, and I was pretty freaked out. :P I saw it again about three years ago, I enjoyed the thrill I got.

I'm always a little edgy when it comes to re-makes, but I've seen the trailor and it looks good so far. I'm not going to go watch it in theatres, though. I'll wait for the rental store to get it. [/size]

• 2 weeks later...
Ya, well i seen the trailers and it actually looks pretty good compared to some of the movie they have had out lately. Then when it said that it was based on a true story, i thought this should be a good movie and its coming out to theatres this upcoming Friday and i am definetly going to see it.

Is this the second remake of the movie or the first cause i was trying to figure that out cause you know with some movies they sometimes make like 1 to 2 remakes of it depending on what it is.

The original movie isn't actually based on anything that happened in Texas. The Leatherface character was based on a real life sicko by the name of Ed Gein. During the 1950's, Ed Gein killed women and wore their skin. He was also a cannibal. I used to love the TCM movie but, I lost interest in it when I learned about who Leatherface was based on.

The thing is the things that happened that "inspired" the movie all took place in Wisconsin! The movie people are trying to scare people to come down here to Texas lol. The movie looks awesome. I hate scary movies because i freak myself out and can't sleep for weeks. But I want to go see it, but I won't. Lol!

Well, the Times can shove it personally. I never trust reviews anymore.

Having just returned from the movie, I have a few words to say.

.....w00t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This movie was freaking amazing. Even if I didn't see the first one, it kept me and my friends on the edge of our seats the whole time. I jumped at least 6 times throughout the whole movie. The way they portrayed leatherface was very well done. I've heard stories about Ed Gein, and even heard a song about him (nothing to gein~Mudvayne). This movie is rated an A+ in my opinion. Well done. Well made. Well Ended. Go and see it.

::starts up chainsaw::

I just saw the trailer, it looks really good. Now I've got to persuade my mom to let me see it in theaters. It will probably be better then the last one, with the more blood and gore effects to it, that's probably why they remade it again.
I hope I can see it, it looks so good like this smiley :blowup:

Hee hee...

I'm not really excited about this movie even now. Anyone whose opinion I trust on horror films has yet to get excited since seeing it... and those who have, I don't know if I'd agree with them or not.

The movie is directed by a guy who previously did nothing but music videos... The characters are supposedly uninteresting and the story behind the crazy family even more vague. I don't know, I'm thinking I'll just wait for the DVD and rent it.

Damn, man that ended up to be a really good movie. I went and seen it with my best friend last night and it was so funny cause the parts where they just all of a sudden threw something out at you or someone just popped up and caught you of guard, almost everyone watching the movie jumped at the exact smae parts as everyone else. I thought that was funny, but that only happened like 3 times though. Then me and my friend also thought it was funny when that girl kept run away into the woods and the chainsaw dude was chasing her. haha! It had some grose parts in there though, like when the chainsaw dude was sewing the skin with the sewing machine. Now that was grose. I better not say anything else otherwise i'll ruin it for you people that haven't seen it yet.pz.

All right. I didn't really want to see this movie, which should be apparent by my posts about it in the past. I wanted to see Kill Bill and my girlfriend (oh, let's call her "Jessica") wanted to see TCM. So we had to compromise. The compromise obviously involved us having to see this tonight, but Kill Bill is next on the list.

Even coming into this, I just never understood why they needed to remake this movie. After watching it, I really still don't. I did give it a fair chance, but it failed to grab me. Jessica, however, thought it was very good. She was scared quite often... so if you have some easily-scared girlfriend and you like to be grabbed a lot, bring her with. There's a lot of things-jumping-out-of-nowhere moments. Personally, I didn't find much of it rather scary in any sense.

Like I said, I just don't get the point of this movie. I seem to be one of the few defenders of the original film. "It's cheesy" people say. "The dialogue sucked" and so on. Maybe I'm one of the few people who remembers that the original came out in 1974 and had next to no budget... but it makes it very hard for me to compare the two.

The original is a "classic" in a sense, but I'm going to say right out that it's still nowhere as good as many people want you to believe. The remake is probably better as a real, watchable film. I'd watch that over the original at this point... it's just that since I am familiar with the original, the sequels and so on... this film just doesn't appeal to me anymore. The only thing I really prefer in the original is the cheap, snuff-like quality of the recording... something I'd assume was because of budget concerns, but it added to the atmosphere.

The remake obviously has superior camera work, lighting and effects in general. The acting is far better as well... what there is of it anyway. I found myself not really caring about any of the characters. I'm not asking for extensive histories, but they didn't even pull on any of my basic emotions. The only part that worked for me is when[spoiler] Kemp's dead body dropped the ring for Erin, which still wasn't much.[/spoiler] Because of this I really felt bored for a good deal of the movie. I didn't care when anyone died.

You knew even less about the crazy family. Some of the characters were in there for seemingly no reason. I still have no clue what the purpose of the two trailer women was. How were they even relevant? Sure, they advanced the plot in some way, but it just seemed so useless. There were several of these plot issues in the movie, but they're not that important. They just seemed to be stuffed in to make the movie more "bizarre" for the general audience.

The actual deaths just left a lot to be desired as well. Of course, they need to keep a lot of this similiar to the original. The trademark scene from the original is in here... but there is only so much of a guy running at people with a chainsaw I can take before it just becomes a tired idea, same with the original. The gore itself was very well done, I have no complaints with that. The acting worked well enough that their pain and such was believable.

I don't know. I respect the original, but I'm not a huge fan... but I'd put them on pretty much the same level. The only reason I have a slightly higher opinion of the first is mostly due to its importance in the genre. Another horror film remade for a generation of people who can't sit and watch something for what it is (I don't know how else to explain the remakes of Ghost Ship, etc). Any atmosphere and creepiness mostly came off as them trying too hard.

I saw House of 1,000 Corpses when it first came out, and for all intents and purposes, it was mostly inspired by the original TCM. There is stuff in that movie that feels almost directly out of TCM and even the remake... However, it added a humor side. It added some new, weird ideas. It was far more relentless and the deaths were surprising and interesting. While it perhaps took a bit too much from older horror films, it still had its own spirit. The characters were rather one dimensional, but for me they at least appealed to basic emotions (however cliche their attitudes were).

For me, this movie just felt more like everything else out there. I felt like I'd seen it a million times before, because really, I have. So has anyone else that watches a decent amount of these films. After watching it, I still have the same question I had when I first heard of it. Why?

The ending also left a lot to be desired, in my opinion.

Anyway, I apologize for this being all over the place, but it is almost 2 AM and I'm rather tired. in short, I'm not overly fond of either film. I respect the impact of the original, but I am never in a hurry to watch it. This movie did a good job of updating the original, but just like the original, it didn't really work for me. I'm still not very interested in either of them. I doubt many will agree with me though.

I went this weekend with my freind and we kinda sneek in because we're not aged to see it but here in Canada, Quebec, Montreal most theaters don't look up your ticket so we saw it. It was very good, better than the first one and it was really scary...I make nightmares of it!

Go see it....if you can...

[size=1] I have not seen the first movie, as Tony, and I haven't even seen much Horror movies; I've just begun...so shall I say my "adventure" to see the older, mostly better (or so I am guessing) movies.

The only reason this movie was as good as it was to me was because I was just in the mood for something like it. I actually really didn't care about the characters, I'd say. Half the time I wanted to scream at that one blonde girl (I believe she was Blonde) and tell her to do something, which, in her imminent panic she had not done.

I agree with Tony that the members of the family were a little...unneeded. I liked the little kid, he was interesting enough...and the sheriff person I understand being in there as well...but all the rest, it just didn't make too much sense. It's just the way they did the family as a whole...I guess. Whatever the case, the family, and the way they presented them did not work too well.

When I finally see the first TCM, I believe I will grow to like what people have said about the way it is recorded--it shall add to the atmosphere, I am sure.

The movie was pretty predictable--and the ending, don't even get me started. How that dumb blonde escaped, I do not know. She ran off into a meat factory...was stupid enough to get into a passing truck, and she couldn't even articulate crap. I did like the irony of how at the beginning of the movie that one person they'd picked up had been in the same state of panic. I don't know, is someone really that reticent when they are in a panic? I'd be outpouring what had happened to me over and over again.

The effects and gore and such was, of course, well done, and I'm betting to say well above the original's.

It was actually a pretty decent movie; but really, the movie just feels like...a story I've heard a million times. The basic dog eats dog formula that dots the horror genre's skin; well, at least from what I've seen.

[i]Identity[/i] I saw recently after this. It had nearly the same type of story...but that movie was actually interesting for how it turned out, so I really liked it better a tad.

I really liked TCM when I first saw it, I must say, but that is only because, as I said, I was just in a mood for this stuff, and it led me to thinking of things, and also realizing how horrible this world is at times. [/size]

Guest Stealth Knight
I went to see the movie yesterday, and I thought that it was pretty good. I have yet to see a movie that scares me, soooo...I didn't find it scary.

If you've seen your fair share of horror films--it'll be painfully apparent that this movie offers nothing new to the genre. It's incredibly outdated by today's standards.

Go see the blood bath that is [i]Kill Bill[/i]. Witness the [spoiler]ninety plus murders[/spoiler] in that film and tell me if TCM is [i]really[/i] a massacre. It's almost laughable considering only a handful of people are killed--and none in a particularly explicit or horrifying way. The camera work often cut away from the deaths before they could become disturbing or anything.

And, I think the most important thing is that a man chasing teens with a chainsaw just isn't as scary as it was in 1974. But, whatever. The movie just struck me as conventional. You've seen this a million times whether you know it or not.