OtakuBoards

Yaoi...Why watch it?

Radical Edward

[size=1] It's a very hard thing to stay true to a character's personality in a fanwork, some of the time. But, you see, fanwork is not meant to stay true to the anime and all of the things within it. That's why it's called [i]fan[/i]work. If it were professional work, everything would be in order. Fans aren't professionals, and they tend to do whatever the hell they want with it. If you read many interviews with anime creators, most of them say they don't really have the power to control fanworks, and quite frankly, they don't care.

Being a true fans does not matter whether or not they stay true to the anime while creating a fanwork.[/size]

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We obviously have different thought on what a fan is Mal, so i'm not gonna argue with you, as much as i want to. All i have to say on the subject is that if you fell into Fandom with a character and series, you shouldn't want to change them and it gets me angry to see them do just that and call it a FANfic. They may not get things right, but atleast they gave it a try instead of taking the easy way out and changing what the entire series is about.

Well, some of you are taking the words right out of my mouth. I've been thinking about yaoi pairings. They could have all been bi, there are no real signs of that. I started thinking of that when I read the Miroku/Inuyasha part (which, by the way, is a little weird). ANY anime character could be bi, and with that concept in mind (if they weren't bi), it owuld barely be changing their personalities at all.

Like a lot of poeple in here have pointed out, being yaoi or straight doesn't really matter to what their personalities are like. They're still basically the same.

I guess the whole "I'm against yaoi" thing is over with me now. I'll just think about it while I'm asleep or at school tomorrow, but my case rests.

[color=crimson]DBD, would you ever watch an anime or read a manga featuring yaoi? (I don't know if you answered this already because the first page of this thread won't open for me)

Screw my first post. the entire time I was studying for geometry I was thinking about this, and I think I know why I really like shounen-ai and/or yaoi:
Due to hate crimes and laws, homosexuality is always this huge secret. People are scared of being caught or getting beaten up. But, in shows or fics I find that the openess in which the affection is displayed inspiring. Those people, male or female, are showing that no matter the consequences or risks, they want to be true to their hearts. It has "courage" written all over it(not literally).

Ilovebebop is right. Sexual preference does not affect personality. You could be quiet and calm and gay/bi/straight and the quiet part wouldn't change, ne?

~Lumi ^_^[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Double_B_Daigo [/i]
[B]We obviously have different thought on what a fan is Mal, so i'm not gonna argue with you, as much as i want to. All i have to say on the subject is that if you fell into Fandom with a character and series, you shouldn't want to change them and it gets me angry to see them do just that and call it a FANfic. They may not get things right, but atleast they gave it a try instead of taking the easy way out and changing what the entire series is about. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#707875]Aside from the fact that the vast majority of fan fiction is horribly written and ill-conceived, I still don't think you have much of a case here.

If people aren't allowed to change character personalities AT ALL, or explore possibilities within these characters, what's the point? That's what fan fiction is all about! It's about exploring these possibilities with existing characters.

If everyone tried to stay true to the conventions of a series, I think you'd see a great deal of fan fiction die out. That's just not how it works for most people.

And you are mostly raising complaints about yaoi...I just don't know why it's anything to get upset over. If you don't like it, don't read it. That's what it's all about. And that's why your complaints are totally illogical to me. Surely you should be more concerned about people writing their fiction [i]well[/i] and providing depth and meaning to what they say...rather than whether or not a particular character is a "homo" or whatever.

People get so defensive over this, but really, there's no reason to. You don't own the anime. Who cares if someone wants to write a stupid, ill-conceived, illogical fan fiction piece? [b]Most[/b] fan fiction is like that anyway. I don't think I've ever seen ANY fan fiction that I really enjoyed -- or at least, that was very well written. There are exceptions...but they're just that; exceptions.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Radical Edward [/i]
[B]I've seen there are alot of Yoai fans and i had always wonderd..."Why do people watch it?"

I've seen and read yaoi but inever got it...I don't really like the whole malexmale cpoupleing. Also same goes for the girlxgirl thing..forgot what it was called though.

So...I have to ask..Whats so great about Yaoi? and why do you Yaoi fans like it?

P.S. I'm just asking out of curiostiy not out of disrespect. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=teal]Assuming you're a general guy, why do boys watch lesbian hentai? It's just a matter of preference. It doesn't make people "sick" or "disgusting." Same situation with furries.[/color]

[size=1] *smiles stupidly* The majority of fanfiction does ensure the readers of a waste of 30 minutes as they read ten pages of crappy grammar.

But since I'm such a nerd, I usually sift through many pages looking for a good fanfiction. *shrugs* I've found numerous stories I've enjoyed very much, most of them written my college students. Guess that explains it.

But to stay on topic, I'd have to tell anti-yaoi-ists to get over it. Homosexuality is slowly entering society and the media more and more, and with a hit show called "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy", I think there's more to some. Actually, I don't see what's so great about that show. I personally think it's stupid.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=#707875]Aside from the fact that the vast majority of fan fiction is horribly written and ill-conceived, I still don't think you have much of a case here.

If people aren't allowed to change character personalities AT ALL, or explore possibilities within these characters, what's the point? That's what fan fiction is all about! It's about exploring these possibilities with existing characters.

If everyone tried to stay true to the conventions of a series, I think you'd see a great deal of fan fiction die out. That's just not how it works for most people.

And you are mostly raising complaints about yaoi...I just don't know why it's anything to get upset over. If you don't like it, don't read it. That's what it's all about. And that's why your complaints are totally illogical to me. Surely you should be more concerned about people writing their fiction [i]well[/i] and providing depth and meaning to what they say...rather than whether or not a particular character is a "homo" or whatever.

People get so defensive over this, but really, there's no reason to. You don't own the anime. Who cares if someone wants to write a stupid, ill-conceived, illogical fan fiction piece? [b]Most[/b] fan fiction is like that anyway. I don't think I've ever seen ANY fan fiction that I really enjoyed -- or at least, that was very well written. There are exceptions...but they're just that; exceptions.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Yet again, i never said i was against Yoai, I, as in ME, just dislike it because i rather see a writer use a character as they were ment to. They can change there personality, but to the point were they make a complete U-turn in the way they think or the way they love. Whaat i mean is that, in the Miroku/InuYasha case, is that Miroku is a caniving womanizer and spends his time trying to get with Sango while InuYasha is in deep hearted love with Kagome and Kikyo. Then a fanfic writer comes and says that InuYasha totally drops the two women he HAS KILLED FOR and Miroku has stopped his womanizing ways, which he has followed for his entire adolescent to adult life, to go for each other. I'm not trying to say that the people who write aren't true fans, but there just using the characters to act out there fantasies instead of creating an epic sequel to their much loved series and furthinering the already set character's love life between the people they had fallen in love before hand.

And again, I don't care if they use characters that are or possibly gay. I don't care. Do what you want with Kurama and Hiei or whatever. Go ahead.

this is my opinion, i'm not trying to say that these people are wrong and thats the gospel truth, i'm saying this is the way i feel and if you peeps can change me of my way of thinking, then please do.

[size=1] Hey, the whole womanizer thing could just be a cover-up, right? ^_~

Er...sorry. *wanders off*

Just let 'em do whatever they want. If someone made the Gravitation guys striaght all of a sudden, I admit I would get a bit edgy, but I wouldn't say anything. [/size]

I never said anything to the Yoai writers either. But i'm expressing it here because i was asked to express my opinion. I'm not a homophobic bigot, i just feel this way about the subject. Regular yaoi, i don't care about, if they use original or gay characters, i could care less. I wouldn't read it, but it would get me a little ticked. So, don't try to make me out to be like that.

(thats not directed to you Mal.)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Fate [/i]
[B][color=teal]Assuming you're a general guy, why do boys watch lesbian hentai? It's just a matter of preference. It doesn't make people "sick" or "disgusting." Same situation with furries.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

I no it doesn't make people sick for wathcing it. But i just wanted to know, from a real live yaoi fan what makes them like, if when the stuff on T.V. makes a big deal about being gay and making it sound like the baddest thing in the world.

P.S. I'm a girl...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by maladjusted [/i]
[B][size=1]But to stay on topic, I'd have to tell anti-yaoi-ists to get over it. Homosexuality is slowly entering society and the media more and more, and with a hit show called "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy", I think there's more to some. Actually, I don't see what's so great about that show. I personally think it's stupid.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]True, and there is no stopping it. Homosexuality is like a slow-moving tsunami; slow, but can't be stopped. I think it has to do with the freedom of choice. People should and can choose their sexual preference, and sometimes, it is genetic and can't be helped. Just because others think it is wrong or sick, it's not going to daunt the big wave.

And, I don't like that show very much either. I got bored watching one episode. v_v

I just wish people would accept the fact that things won't change because they insult it or disagree with it. But, I think the world is all the more interesting with the changes that are occuring. Power to Yaoi!

~Lumi ^_^[/color]

I don't know how homosexuality is a bad thing. Then again, some countries kill homosexuals. I guess that's the one true flaw of it.

DBD, did anyone say that you're homophobic? I certainly don't think so. It's not really about that. It's really about people' s opinion of yaoi, and you made yours.

Well, it really is FANfiction. Most fanfiction writers probably don't have much preference. If they do, they could certainly write better fanfics. The people have the power to change their personalities, some people actually do that. So, sexuality doesn't matter.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by maladjusted [/i]
[B][size=1] Hey, the whole womanizer thing could just be a cover-up, right? ^_~

Er...sorry. *wanders off*

Just let 'em do whatever they want. If someone made the Gravitation guys striaght all of a sudden, I admit I would get a bit edgy, but I wouldn't say anything. [/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Hmm..I dunno, I think I'd read a fic that portrayed Yuki or Shuichi as straight (a) cause Yuki has shown that he is into women (I think) and primarily because I'd want to see how someone had written it. There are some pairings I admit I won't read because I don't want my perception of the show altered like that but mostly I'll read anything...other than brother/sister, brother/brother incest etc stuff...cause that just gives creepy images that I don't want to think about.

I guess you could say one of the bigger reasons why I'm even vaguely interested in Yaoi is that it's so tragically romantic, on a much larger scale then it usually is in a regular male/female relationship. See, it's these men, these angelically beautiful men that love each other, but that love is so hopeless, so socially unacceptable and impossible, but the love is still there and the want and need for the other. *sigh* I like that, the drama in it. Heh.

As for that whole bit about drastically changing someone's personality just for the sake of them being gay, well I never really see it that way. I guess it all depends on the fan fic and how well it's written too, though, so yea. . .

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Double_B_Daigo [/i]
[B]They can change there personality, but to the point were they make a complete U-turn in the way they think or the way they love. Whaat i mean is that, in the Miroku/InuYasha case, is that Miroku is a caniving womanizer and spends his time trying to get with Sango while InuYasha is in deep hearted love with Kagome and Kikyo. Then a fanfic writer comes and says that InuYasha totally drops the two women he HAS KILLED FOR and Miroku has stopped his womanizing ways, which he has followed for his entire adolescent to adult life, to go for each other. I'm not trying to say that the people who write aren't true fans, but there just using the characters to act out there fantasies instead of creating an epic sequel to their much loved series and furthinering the already set character's love life between the people they had fallen in love before hand.

And again, I don't care if they use characters that are or possibly gay. I don't care. Do what you want with Kurama and Hiei or whatever. Go ahead.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for your permission. Kurama/Hiei is, after all, among the best shonen-ai pairings ever. ^__^

Er, anyway..... about Inuyasha/Miroku. I'm not personally a fan of this couple. However, the best fanfic authors--and they do exist--can work miracles. This type of author wouldn't make Inuyasha "totally drop" the two women whom he's killed for. He would instead be forced to grapple with his changing emotions, and the whole thing would turn into a crazy love pentagon (what with all the relationships involved), or something to that effect. The point is that some fanfic writers strive to make their writing as realistic and heartfelt as possible, no matter how unlikely the couple. It's a bit insulting to suggest that all fanfiction is written by a bunch of drooling, irrational fangirls with fluff for brains.

I'm a big fan of shoujo-ai, het, and shonen-ai, so I guess that I get the best of every world. The main reason I like homosexual couples, however, is for the "forbidden love" factor (as a number of other people said). There's a certain courage and poignancy (and yes, angst) which comes into play in male/male and female/female pairings.

~Dagger~

[quote][i]Originally posted by Double_B_Daigo[/i]

Atleast you understand Mal. Oh, and PS- Tsukasa lost his/her memory so he/she doesn't know if she's/he's a girl or not, although he/she thinks she's a girl. So if they used Tsukasa in a fanfic, it could either be shoujo-ai or straight. And i wouldn't care if it were either cuz theres a big possiblity that he/she is gay/leabian/straight/bi.[/quote]

Why don't they just check? It isn't that hard o_0

Heh. I do not see the problem. If it offends you, don't read it. Why does it matter anyway? Fanfics are not the normal anime. and something that migt deserve to be mentioned.... The characters in animes are not real. I don't see why it would matter, not really. Maybe if you were a serious super hard-core anime die-hard fan it would be annoying, but you can choose if you want to be xposed to it or not.

If something trivial like that bothers you, then just avoid it.

I like some yaoi pairings, just because the characters go really well together, and are ujust good pairings. Just cause their both guys doesn't mean they can't get together just like a fan might want a guy and a girl to. I especially like Naruto/Sasuke, and I like Hikaru/Akira. And kinda Yuki/Kyou. Sorta. I like to pretend they're not related. :p

Like I said, I like some pairings now. My favorites would be Knives/Legato and Legato/Knives, Legato/Midvalley, Heero/Duo, and yes, Kenshin/Sano is growing on me. . .

A lot of people have made good posts here. I've seen both sides-and have chosen not to be a partisan on either, because I love a LOT of hetero pairings (MillyxWolfwood :bawl: , VashxMeryl, RogerxDorothy :bawl: :bawl:-if you saw last night's Big O-and KenshinxKaoru are favorites) yet I am also a confirmed shounen ai/yaoi fan now. . .

I'm just going to enjoy the best of both worlds. :)

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Don't move to the dark side Milliefan! Nooooo!!! Crap, now I'm alone in not liking untruthful yaoi. CRAP!

Oh, and Genkai, the whole Naruto/Sasuke pairing is completely unreal cuz they hate each other and the only nice things they do for each other is outta respect and to complete the mission. So Nah! (just had to put one more out there before drifting off......)

They may be untruthful, but it doesn't really matter if anyone likes them or not. It's what the fans that created them believe that really counts. No matter how many complaints they recieve, they're still going to believe that these couples can come to be.

Like Milliefan, I'm not going to be on a side. It already sucks that poeple don't like them, but I don't want to hear your arguements on the subject.