OtakuBoards

home schooling

Lord Prozen

[color=royalblue]well im home schooled but my mom is sticking me in school soon and im in the 6th grade and i've heard thats a bad time to go into school.:( luckly I only have to do if for a year and if it turns out too bad my mom said she would just pull me. and so I was just wondering what other people thought of home schooling and and how you think going into school for the first time at 6th grade will go and stuff.[/color]

Well, in sixth grade my friend moved at went to my school at the same time as you, she was scared and everything too. But, the first day she went, everyone tried to make friends with her. It was her first time ever out of home schooling. Now, she's got loads of friends, just from the one day (I'm in ninth grade at the moment...or is it eighth...geez, I'll get back to you on that one...).

But, I personally hate home schooling. It now seperates my best friend and I. Well, not totally, I just miss seeing her once a day. Crossed_Angel! Come back to school! Doofus, "I want to do it for the free laptop!" grrrrrrrr, poo-poo on you!

I have a friend in homeschol,she loves it,but her mom doesn't teach it,a lady from her church does. Personally,I wouldn't last a day, you miss out on a lot. Tons of friends, dances,school activities. All the little things you end up loving in the end. It harsh, but still. I miss my friend, she doesn't understand a lot. You meet a lot of new people in public school, but she gets shorter days and stuff.

Well my experience is a bit different from the other posters:p the summer before 6th grade started for me my family moved from one city to another and generally people either liked me or made fun of me(which lead to fights) at first they wanted to get to know me and for the most part they liked me but some didn't at first in my class though they later accepted me:p

Now people in the other 6th grade class took longer to accept me hence the fights.

A lot depends on your personality and the personality of those around you.

School's cool. I mean the only thing that would be a problem would probably getting up in the morning and going somewhere else if you're not a morning person. Students, I think, will be nice. You'll find friends easily. It's just like if you would move to a new neighborhood and you meet people there. There may be some people that you just can't get along with, but that sort of goes along with the territory, you know?

I think it depends. I see that most of the cases discussed here have inside friends, so they didn't have to start from scratch. I think it would help alot if you went to public school in middle school, where there are going to be alot of kids meeting new people as well. Wait, is sixth grade middle school now-a-days? Oh well...

Well, I know this guy, James. He was home-schooled 'til about the ninth grade. He's very quiet, and introverted. Nobody really messes with him though, and if you get to know him well enough he's a great guy, real witty and stuff. Anyway, I think home-school was good for him. Like I know this other guy who was homeschooled just about his whole life. He's been secluded and so his social skills are horrible and he can't deal with opposing thought. Of course this isn't the case with all ppl that are home-schooled, but I think the experience of learning with a whole bunch of impressionable young teenagers is something all should experience.

I home-schooled from fourth grade all the way through high school, and even though I missed out on the dances and stuff, I know I got a better education than my friends who were in public high school.

Actually, I guess I should qualify that. I got a better [i]academic[/i] education that my peers. As I mentioned, I missed out on the dances, sports (bleh), clubs, etc., so I was hugely behind on the relating-to-people-who-aren't-in-my-exact-demographic thing, when I graduated. It all works out. One thing that is a definite benefit to homeschooling is that you can devote more time to studying what interests you. For me that was CS, so I started at my first computer-related job when I was 15, and I was working in network support for a Unix-based web hosting outfit in Atlanta by the time I graduated.

The most important thing (in school, as in life) is to figure out who you are, and just be that person. Nobody fits in with everybody. Find your place, and just do the very best you can at everything you put your hand to. I think you'll do just fine. ?_?

Im not really sure.

I wish you the best of luck.

I must ask though...

How would you feel it someone made your mother a criminal for home schooling you?

Well ask the home taught students of california and you might get some extra insight. :D (Davis anyone?)

[color=#707875]While school can have its downfalls...I think it's far superior to home schooling. You get an education that is properly accredited (depending on who is teaching you at home and whether they are qualified or not), but you also get a whole lot of important social interaction.

And as a kid, social interaction is particularly important -- you need experience working in teams on group projects and so on. It's all important for your future.

So, I think you will enjoy school...it'll make you feel more independent and you'll make more friends. Yes, there are negatives about it...but I think there are more negatives with home schooling, personally.[/color]

[color=royalblue]well its gonna be harder for me becuse I've never been in a school before and all the people around where I live are real jerks so I think that school is gonna be pretty hard. I think 6th grade is considerd junior high school so that kinda sucks for me.

if somone made my mother a criminal for home schooling me? well my mom said that might happen and she says they can say what they want so i'll just try to ignore them.[/color]

[color=darkgreen][font=gothic]My best friend homeschooled until I was in year six, and then she began at my school because she saw I was having fun. We've never been in the same class, and she went to a different high school to me, but she's a prefect now, and doing very well. Her brother and sister did the same, sister starting in year 4 without knowing how to read, brother starting year seven and doing a uni IT course during year 12.[/font][/color]

I think I can relate..I move around alot cause of my dad's army job so I know hat it's like to be thrust into this whole new world where you had no clue how everybody acts. Plus I happened to move when every body elese had know each other since freakin kindergarden so friends were already established. But just go with the flow I guess. If your sixth grade your gonna be swichen classes so that will be difficult from sittin at one place all day so just hope you have some kind people. I think you'll be okay..of course knowing you Prozen that might be a little harder. lol yeah just don't act TOO crazy the first day. Just a little. A little is good.

Guest Skyechild91
Me 2. Im in 7th grade. Im smarter than average, so my mom pulled me. My bro 2. I get a lot more training, but less friend time, if u get me. Pm me! maybe we can trade stories

Don't worry about it, just talk to people so you can make friends. You shouldn't sit and be quiet, or people may think you are shy, which is okay. But just talk to some people, give them a comment, you'll be makin' friends in no time at all.

[COLOR=GREEN]A friend of mine was homeschooled up to eighth grade. I think her mom kept her that long because the schools where I live are really crappy. Anyways, she made friends really quick. I'm sure you'll do just as well as she did.[/COLOR]

Guest Cosmic
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lord Prozen [/i]
[B][color=royalblue]well im home schooled but my mom is sticking me in school soon and im in the 6th grade and i've heard thats a bad time to go into school.:( luckly I only have to do if for a year and if it turns out too bad my mom said she would just pull me. and so I was just wondering what other people thought of home schooling and and how you think going into school for the first time at 6th grade will go and stuff.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

I was home schooled for a while and reentered public education in the sixth grade. The added stressor for me was we had moved to a new state, so nothing was remotely familiar to me. I'm going to give you a word or two of warning. Kids will be cruel sometimes, especially if they don't understand what home schooling is. I was asked many a time very ignorant questions by my so called peers in the sixth grade. I think they thought being in public school from kindergarten on up made them better than me, which isn't the case. I didn't have the option of being returned to home schooling because of some loopholes in the state law. It was tough on me, because I was one of those quiet, introverted students, and there were only three people, not counting teachers, that spoke to me as friends that year. Public schooling has it's advantages, but that first introduction will be very tough. I'm not going to delude you with the empty promises of good times and great memories, because that would just be false. Be careful, and may you have better luck than I did.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lord Prozen [/i]
[B][color=royalblue]well its gonna be harder for me becuse I've never been in a school before and all the people around where I live are real jerks so I think that school is gonna be pretty hard. I think 6th grade is considerd junior high school so that kinda sucks for me.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE] [FONT=arial]If you go into it with that attitude, things probably aren't going to work out very well.

Not everyone in your school district is going to be a jerk, my friend. At least, not from the beginning. If you isolate yourself and feel sorry for yourself...well, there are very few people who view self-pity as a characteristic they want in their friends. If you're always off by yourself, there may be a couple people who will try to talk to you, but unless you jump at the chance, you probably won't make any friends the first couple weeks of school.

First impressions are important. If you come off as a friendly, kind, or enthusiastic person, people will like you. The friendships you make at the "first impression" stage may or may not [i]last[/i] very long--that depends on how well you get along, shared interests, etc. But at the very least, you'll meet more people with whom you'll have a chance at becoming good friends with.

If you isolate yourself, you will probably still make friends, but it will take much longer, and you'll feel lonely and miserable until it happens.

There will always be a few people who don't like you or whom you don't like. That's life. The sooner you learn to deal with them, or ignore them, the better off you'll be. Hopefully you won't have to deal with too many of them, but that is largely up to you.

So you into this with an open mind, and you're likely to enjoy it. If you're convinced you're going to hate it....you will.[/FONT]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sara [/i]
[B][FONT=arial]If you go into it with that attitude, things probably aren't going to work out very well.

Not everyone in your school district is going to be a jerk, my friend. At least, not from the beginning. If you isolate yourself and feel sorry for yourself...well, there are very few people who view self-pity as a characteristic they want in their friends. If you're always off by yourself, there may be a couple people who will try to talk to you, but unless you jump at the chance, you probably won't make any friends the first couple weeks of school.

First impressions are important. If you come off as a friendly, kind, or enthusiastic person, people will like you. The friendships you make at the "first impression" stage may or may not [i]last[/i] very long--that depends on how well you get along, shared interests, etc. But at the very least, you'll meet more people with whom you'll have a chance at becoming good friends with.

If you isolate yourself, you will probably still make friends, but it will take much longer, and you'll feel lonely and miserable until it happens.

There will always be a few people who don't like you or whom you don't like. That's life. The sooner you learn to deal with them, or ignore them, the better off you'll be. Hopefully you won't have to deal with too many of them, but that is largely up to you.

So you into this with an open mind, and you're likely to enjoy it. If you're convinced you're going to hate it....you will.[/FONT] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]thats some good advice Sara i'll have to try doing that. my mom says that im gonna go in somtime around the end of october so I cant wait to go to school. my mom said that she's probly only gonna let me stay in one year becuse she just wanted me to go in to meet some people so the people around where I live will kinda know me. i'll change my attitude thanks again Sara.:) [/color]

Guest Skyechild91
Lucky you! I started b ing homeschooled when I moved, and I know, lets see, NO ONE! OB is the only place I have friends I can see often. Waaaaaa:bawl: I want some more buddies. If your hom,e schooled could we b friends? Pweeze?

[quote][i]Originally posted by Ares[/i]

Don't worry about it, just talk to people so you can make friends. You shouldn't sit and be quiet, [u]or people may think you are shy, which is okay[/u]. But just talk to some people, give them a comment, you'll be makin' friends in no time at all.

[/quote]

I know who Shy is. He is called Josh and works at Disneyland. If you don't fulfil those two requirements then why did you post that misinformed post? I do not believe there are [i]two[/i] Joshes, [i]both[/i] working at Disneyland, who [i]both[/i] go on OB. So make sensible posts please. And of course it is OK to be called Shy. Shy is cool.

Uuh. Heh. Sorry about that.

Sara- I know what you mean about being.. friendly. I moved to a new school this year, second year highschool. I was... well, I don't make friends incredibly easy. I.... well, I don't know, but I tend to keep to myself more than hang with people... I mean, I hang with my friends, but if I don't have any friends I'll stay on my own. Being an only child, I don't mind being on my own. Eventually, after about 4/5 weeks I was making some friends, but those earlier weeks were... were not much fun. Try to make the best of it. I hope you make friends quicker than I did.

Best of luck.

[color=deeppink]Hm. While I think that homeschooling is a fine idea for the parent becaue they know that their kid will get a great education, it's so ignorant, too. I find it highly unfair to keep kids, especially young ones, out of public schools and deprive them of that huge part in a child's life.

But that's just my opinion, I'm sure that parents must have [i]some[/i] good reason for not allowing their children to experience public [or private] school.

The handful of homeschooled kids my age that I have come across have all seemed inept at social situations, maybe that's where I get my tainted opinion. Either they were too shy or too [i]talkative[/i], and either one is fairly annoying. However, I doubt that all homeschooled kids are like that, so don't think I'm being discriminatory. I'm simply feeling my own strong bias...es.

:)[/color]

[size=1] I think I'd actually rather have been home schooled in some ways...and in others rather would have not.

the highest thing of it for me is that you wouldn't be held back as others stumbled on things. Basically, because of this, you'd be able to gain more than you could have by going to a public/private/whatever type of school. Plus it seems a lot less stressful in my opinion...not having to deal with other people, not having to adept to some chosen enviroment; you'd just be able to stay at your house, a familiar surrounding, and relax, go at your own pace, exceed in what it is you are wonderful at, and stumble at what you're bad at.

On the other hand, you would be inept in social situations; not as good of a person to deal with the real world and all it holds in its arc; nor would you be as likely to make great friends and keep them, or meet new people and keep them.

I'd say it's an equal ground then. Either way you're getting something that's worth it all...and either way you aren't.

I remember 6th grade for me. What a waste of time..

My parents had forced our family to move from Salt Lake City, Utah, to Bismarck, North Dakota. I hated being moved up there. I had a friends base in Utah. I didn't want to make all my friends over again--plus at that time we had moved at least 5 times.

I don't even remember 6th grade...but all I know is I really stumbled. It was first off that I had been taken into a new school enviroment, I didn't have any friends; secondly it was just that I hated school in general--I had often been teased, I even had a teacher, Ms. Beck, that was so bad I ended up having to sit in the office near the end of school I couldn't stand her. She almost got fired, but didn't.

6th grade, thusly, I did terrible in.

If you ask me what I learned from Kindergarten-6th grade, I would say the most important thing was the alphabet and knowing how to read and write. That's the main thing I learned; along with the basics of math, of course. But I hate math.

So I see, mostly, the K-6 years as wastes of time, other than those two core subjects--Math and English. Otherwise, it's such a waste of time. When you're young, you just don't think much of school. It's more of a fun time to hang out and do whatever. It's not like Middle School and onward in my opinion.

As for 7th and on, I have learned a lot of things. Some more than others.

It's funny though. You know how most will say you learn something everyday? Well, really, in reality, you also forget something each day too. So what's the point of taking all these classes and courses I won't remember? It sure makes you more levelled, and mroe academically inclined, but in my opinion, it's mostly a waste of time. By 7th grade and on you should be able to formulate somewhat what you want to do with your life...at least in some sense. And since about 8th or so grade, I've known what I want to do.

I remember my old english teacher way back about 8th grade...I can't remember his name, though. But I remember him telling me that I had a talent in writing. I remember him pulling me aside and telling me this. From then on I've taken up majoring in English probably. And I'm sure that's where I'll go.

Personally, I feel like I could just be learning about what I know I need to learn about: english. Since I know, most likely, this is the path I'll take. Yet I have to wait until college to really become fully "devoted" to this goal.

So yes...I suppose I'd rather have just been home schooled. It probably would cost a hefty amount more and all...but it'd be more worth my time, since I could sort of angle towards something that I know I need to become as good at as I can in the long run. Ah well.[/size]