OtakuBoards

PlayStation Portable

Ares

Are you looking forward to the PSP?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Are you looking forward to the PSP?

• Yes I sure am.
    • No way, sounds dumb.

I'm very happy with mine because I make sure I get the most out of it. I actually use it for its music playback, and I occasionally use its video capabilities. I've still not played out the five or six games I have either. I basically spent all summer unlocking things in Hotshots Golf. Until bigger titles hit, like Sega's tennis game, Burnout Legends, Legend of Heroes, and Grand Theft Auto, I'll be happy playing emulated games. SNES emulation is actually really good right now thanks to the new TYL version (with another update coming shortly), Genesis emulation is nearly perfect, and the same goes for Nintendo and Gameboy Color. My favorite is probably the Neo Geo CD emulator though. It's blazing fast. A new Scummvm emulator came out today as well, so I'll probably get around to trying that out. Otherwise, there's a whole bunch of other fun homebrew applications that I play with too.

So, yeah, although I'm not exactly using the system for its intended purpose, I use it daily and have a blast with it. The natural dry spell isn't even noticable because it's not like there's a lack of games for me to play, official, or emulated.

I still want a DS, but honestly there's only two games I'd play for that right now. That'll be changing soon thankfully, since Nintendogs isn't too far away.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[color=darkred]I don't want to sound arrogant or stubborn in saying this, but I don't want a PSP simply because it doesn't appeal to me. I just don't get the vibe that everyone else seems to be getting. Right now, there's way of a lack of games, and again, no future releases appeal to me. I'm more attracted to the DS more than anything, and I've had my heart set on it all the while.

Having said that, though, I'd still be willing to try it out in some way or another, or maybe even buy it, but there's the issue of the price. To tell the truth, if I had the money then I wouldn't hesitate in buying a PSP despite my impressions, but I have other priorities, which is pretty much the situation that most people are in.[/color]

I love how people say their is a lack of a library, especially the people who don't have it. Yes they do have alot of ports(THUG 2, Midnight Club 3) or original versions of already established series (Hot Shots Golf Open Tee, Metal Gear Acid) but these 4 games are waaayyyy better then any DS game, Advance wars Ds, Warioware, and Mario 64 DS being the only good games for the DS (all which are from already established series). Personally this looks like a case favortism towards the handheld you own. Honestly the PSP's launch library was ALOT better then the PS2's launch. The only thing the DS has over the PSP is those wierd Japanese surgery and lawyer games, which I do want to play.

[quote name='Killer7']I love how people say their is a lack of a library, especially the people who don't have it. Yes they do have alot of ports(THUG 2, Midnight Club 3) or original versions of already established series (Hot Shots Golf Open Tee, Metal Gear Acid) but these 4 games are waaayyyy better then any DS game, Advance wars Ds, Warioware, and Mario 64 DS being the only good games for the DS (all which are from already established series). Personally this looks like a case favortism towards the handheld you own. Honestly the PSP's launch library was ALOT better then the PS2's launch. The only thing the DS has over the PSP is those wierd Japanese surgery and lawyer games, which I do want to play.[/quote]

[color=darkred]Well, my opinions on the PSP aren't derived from not owning one, as I'm aware of its capabilities and specifications just as well as I'm familiar with the DS's. While the PSP hasn't got a library of games that I'd be interested in, neither has the DS at this moment in time. The only game that I'd consider buying for the DS right now is Super Mario 64 DS, and a few others which don't come to mind right now, and I can live without them, which is why I didn't immediately rush in to buy a DS on the day it was released, even though I had the opportunity to do so. So, until the games that spark my interests hit the shelves, I'm relatively happy not owning a DS, or a PSP.[/color]

[quote name='Killer7']I love how people say their is a lack of a library, especially the people who don't have it. Yes they do have alot of ports(THUG 2, Midnight Club 3) or original versions of already established series (Hot Shots Golf Open Tee, Metal Gear Acid) but these 4 games are waaayyyy better then any DS game, Advance wars Ds, Warioware, and Mario 64 DS being the only good games for the DS (all which are from already established series). Personally this looks like a case favortism towards the handheld you own. Honestly the PSP's launch library was ALOT better then the PS2's launch. The only thing the DS has over the PSP is those wierd Japanese surgery and lawyer games, which I do want to play.[/quote]

Personally I consider Polarium, Puyo Pop Fever, Meteos, Yoshi Touch and Go, Nintendogs (since you mentioned a game not out yet), Kirby's Canvas Curse and a few others all good games, but that's me.

This isn't a versus thread, so I guess it doesn't matter in the scheme of things. They both have good games and they've both been going through a slow period. The point isn't really what's out on the thing (and largely has been out for months), but what's coming up... and really there isn't much of note in the next few months that I've noticed.

[QUOTE=Generic NPC #3]Personally I consider Polarium, Puyo Pop Fever, Meteos, Yoshi Touch and Go, Nintendogs (since you mentioned a game not out yet), Kirby's Canvas Curse and a few others all good games, but that's me.

This isn't a versus thread, so I guess it doesn't matter in the scheme of things. They both have good games and they've both been going through a slow period. The point isn't really what's out on the thing (and largely has been out for months), but what's coming up... and really there isn't much of note in the next few months that I've noticed.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][I]I am right there with you Generic, I mean I do own a PSP and not a DS but they are both really good handhelds. Most people do say they don't have a library, well crap look they are handhelds not game consoles. Also they library is actually pretty big for how long they have been out for. Also whoever says it's not the library of games I'm interested in well then there is a person who doesn't like some good story's, puzzles, or strategy. I'm not saying ever game has this but games like Super Mario 64 DS has it's puzzle and strategy maybe a little story, Need For Speend Underground Rivals has strategy, and Mercury has amazing puzzles I mean that game is hard, but anyway they both have great library's you just to give some games a chance and you may like them, don't just judge on apperance or names.[/I][/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
I got the 2.0 update for the PSP. It's the update that has the internet capabilities. Surpisingly it was pretty simple. A quick download from the site to my MemoryStick, then a quick installation, and then i was ready. I entered in the SSID, WEP, and all that was necessary and then got started. I originally thought it's be hard to get around, but it's surprisingly easy. The www. is already set up and so are other things like .com, .org, .net, etc...It was much easier than I thought it'd be.

• 2 months later...
Guest Zane Truesdale
I just got myself a PSP a couple staurdays ago. It's like a handheld computer!
Anyways, what game do you think I should get? :cool:

[QUOTE=Zane Truesdale]I just got myself a PSP a couple staurdays ago. It's like a handheld computer!
Anyways, what game do you think I should get? :cool:[/QUOTE]

I suggest Lumines. Go here if you want any extra info.

[URL=http://www.pspcrazy.com]PSP advice[/URL] (clicky!!!)

Hope this helps.

Here are some good psp games: wipeout pure, untold legends, legend of heroes a tear of vermillion, nba, death Jr., ape scape. Here are some games that I personaly hate: grand theft auto liberty city stories, grip shift (grip shift is one of the worst games I HAVE PLAYED IN MY LIFE!)[IMG]http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmasters/Images/Wipeout_Pure_20040514_060557_intro.jpg[/IMG] note: this picture isn't grip shift uts wipeout pure

• 9 months later...
I really do not know what this will go under so sorry If I get it wrong. s :animeswea but any way does any one have any info on the new psp update 3.0 is coming out and any info on it would be great. Thank you :animesmil

[color=#4B0082]I merged this with the main PSP thread. You can read the stickies to find out how things work in here. - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]