OtakuBoards

Foreign Languages

Katana

[quote][i]Originally posted by Drix D'Zanth[/i]

Decidía mecanografiar este poste entero en español. Hablo español muy bien porque mi profesor utilizó el método de enseñanza conocido como TPRS. Puedo casi dibujar sobre palabras múltiples sin el pensamiento debido a mi de la clase. Soy muy agradecido para el hecho que he podido aprender la lengua pues me ha ayudado en mi escuela. También me ayudará en mi carrera. Debo ahora parar.[/quote]

Here is a translation for you poor suckers who don't [strike] use a web translation sevice[/strike]..... speak Spanish fluently:

It decided to type this entire post in Spaniard. I speak Spanish very well because my professor utilized the method of teaching known as TPRS. Almost I can draw on multiple words without the thought due to my of the class. Very I am thanked for the fact that have been able to learn the tongue therefore has helped myself in my school. Will also help me in my career. Now I should stop.

I left it in the original mode of speech, so you people who don't understand the mechanics of Spanish sentence formation may learn from my example. As you can see, I study Spanish heaps (Eh...). In Primary school, and year 8 I did Japanese, but I didn't enjoy it very much. So now I don't learn any languages. (Excepting Spanish. Heh.)

Drix- Usted es un showoff. Pare hablar en lenguas- usted Diablo usted.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by IkkiMechaPilot [/i]
[B]At my highschool japanese is big so its hard to get into the class meaning i wont be in it till next semester but for now a friend is teaching me dutch ive been learning some japanese from another friends and i applied to take german is early collage classes so im hoping to get into that cause i love words too and cause ive learned so much english in my 17 years of reading to many books that i think ive just about learned all the english there is to learn.[/B][/QUOTE]

Considering that was all one, huge, run-on sentence, I'd say you still have much to learn.

Completely ignoring the numerous spelling, capitalization, and grammatical errors.

I'm French, but I've learned quite a lot of English, though I can't really speak it fluently. I'm in my 4rth year of Spanisgh, (though this is basic spanish, urgh) and my first german year. I think there are classes of Russian too in my college. I kinda like German. It's so different, and sometimes funny (the world for "plane" means "Flying thing").

I have to fix the title for this thread... it's driving me insane lol.

Message boards are about reading... If you're not going to write decently, then no one is going to read it. Halfway through that first post, my mind was already wandering away lol.

I took Latin for three years. I don't know how many other people have actually taken it, although I know Mitch has started recently.

I don't remember a good deal of it anymore, because really, there's no real use for it. I can't walk around and speak it to anyone and writing it would accomplish very little. It's cool just for the nerdiness factor, I guess.

It does help immensely with words on tests and such. I have a much easier time figuring out what many words mean without context because of it.

I also can read Roman numerals instantly... which is nice, because I like to know what year random movies and cartoons were made.

That's all I have experience in.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Circéus [/i]
[B]I kinda like German. It's so different, and sometimes funny (the world for "plane" means "Flying thing"). [/B][/QUOTE] [FONT=arial]*laughs delightedly* Flugzeug!

Heheh.

I was bugging one of my friends while they were trying to do their Spanish homework this morning. As a result, I can now say [i]Luisa needs a calculator for music class[/i] in Spanish.

If y'all ever need to know how to say that, just ask. [/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
I think that learning a foreign language is fun and enjoying to do. An advantage of it is that you can learn about other cultures rather then yourself, and learn to speak the language. At the moment, I am learning how to speak Spanish. After, I will try to learn to speak Japanese since I am a big anime fan.
I chose Spanish because I usually go to Latin Festivals and there's a bunch of Spanish music I like, so Spanish is really fun, especially if your the person singing while doing your work in class and asking stupid questions. Yeah, it's fun.

I have taken Indonesian at school since I was 9 and it's similiar to Malay so I can hold a conversation in both languages. I learnt french for about a year but can now only remember a few words! Sad i know...I love learning new languages even if it's only a few words. My mother's Dutch so I know a bit of Dutch. My relatives always use dutch sayings and stuff and I didn't even realise that it was dutch until a little while ago. I thought everyone used those words! lol it's good because you can discreetly tell someone to shutup if they're saying too much to someone without the other person knowing!

In school we had to take a foreing language class, we had to chose from 3 languages: Spanish, Italian or Russian (don't ask me why....), I chose spanish because my family comes from South America, I knew a little bit, but I still could learn A LOT more, so my mom told me I should go with spanish, that was 4 years ago...
Now I'm pretty fluent in spanish and I know a lot about spanish culture, it's pretty fun, because now when I go to visit my relatives, I can understand what they say, I can talk to them or ask them to shut up!!!(I couldn't talk to them 5 years ago, it was pretty embarasing for them to ask me something and for me to go and ask my mom what they meant:(...) I wish I could learn another foreign language, I know four or five frases in french, a couple of japanese words, and a little portugese.. it's fun to learn a foreign language and a foreing culture:D I wish I could learn Japanese, 'cause I'm a total addict to anime/manga, and sometimes I watch anime and have no idea what they're talking about, since the tv channel that I see them in hasn't translated them, they don't even show the tiny letters!!!:flaming: :flaming:

[color=darkgreen][font=gothic]I've been doing Japanese for eight years now. Indonesian, Chinese and Japanese are popular languages in Australian school syllabus because we're right next door, and because the population of asians in Australia is high.
The kind of school I'm going to is populated by country people, you know, kids who won't learn japanese because their grandaddies fought against them in the war. That kind of backward minded thinking.
So that means I have four other people in my japanese class, and as the minimum requirement for a class is six, I do it by distance education. And it's an incredible workload - two hours a day not including classes and that's only barely keeping up.

Kendo, nihongo no wa tanoshii da to omoimasu. Ganbatte imasu...[/color][/font]

I am taking my first year of German and I think its really fun.

It really does have practical uses, I've seen more German on TV than other languages. Also I play Worms Armageddon with people from Germany online. (Its studying lol)

Today's world is getting closer and closer, especially with the internet and all.

Also theres Asuka from Evangelion. :D

i LOVE languages...i'm personally bilingual in Finnish and English...i'm from Finland...so is my family...so i (at least try to) speak finnish at home! although i speak a LOT of english...:sweat:
i'm in German II at my school and i love it...except for SOME people in my class...*twitch* *twitch*...but languages are cool! but if anyone's interested, go to
[url]www.cord.edu/dept/clv[/url]
that's a site for a summer camp for languages! i went to the finnish one for 2 years and i LOVED it! i'm gonna b a counselor someday there...
but don't feel bad about German...mabe you should just try it first and THEN make judgements, ok?

When You think about it, languages are just COOL!! There are so many of them and they are all different. Personally, I don't care what new language I learn, I just want to be able to communicate with different people. I mean just to speak in english one moment and then turn and speak to someone else in a different language is just GREAT!! But right now I am concentrating on Japanese. Schools should teach Japanese, I think. The US does import a lot of things from them. Starting a new year at school, I had heard that they were putting in an Asian language. I found out it was Chinese. That was cool too. We need to learn Chinese also. They just weren't on the exact language I wanted. Spanish is all right. It's just too easy, I think. Japanese seems pretty hard to me, that's why I'm pursuing it as a third language.

[color=teal]I know perfect English. I'm working on Spanish (difficult language) because the rest of my family speaks it and I'm the only one that doesn't too well. I know bits and pieces of Japanese, which is even more difficult.

I'll get it.[/color]

I too know perfect English, because OMG IT'S MY NATIVE LANGUAGE. I, too, know spanish, and I also am trying to teach myself Japanese because my school only offers Spanish, French, and Latin. In case you're wondering why the spotty selection; I live in Upstate NY. >_< (MAN, I wanna move to Japan)

[color=royal blue]I love all languages. They fascinate me, and I love learning them. I'm currently taking French III in high school, and I'm planning on starting Spanish next year as well. I've been trying to teach myself some Japanese as well, but it's hard for me to learn. For the moment, my knowledge of the language is limited to a few select phrases and words.

Je ne sais pas assez de français pour écrivez beaucoup, alors, je ne peux pas mon entier poteau en français.

That was my attempt to write at least part of my post in French. I have no idea how many words or phrases that I got wrong or misused, but I'm sure it's not perfect. Plus, I didn't really know what to write. Well, I tried.[/color]

Ravenstorture, Nihongo wa mah mah dato omou kedo, chotto arai kana? Mah ganbatte ne. Korede wakaru to omou kedo, boku wa nihonjin desu... saikin amari shaberanai kara chotto heta dake do... ^_^

If that didn't explain it, I speak Japanese fluently (being Japanese...). And Spanish too.

[color=crimson]I'm taking Spanish 2 this year(I'm in the 9th grade). We have to take (at least)2 years of foreign language at my school in order to graduate. All my school offers is Spanish and French, though. Not much of a choice eh?

I decided to take Spanish in particular, because I figured it'd be useful considering the amount of Spanish speaking people in this part of the country.

I'd like to take Japanese for the sake of learning it, I probably couldn't find much use for it here in Virginia. ^_^;;[/color]

Yea,German is fun but there are a lot of random huge words. L;ike the number 365 is like dreihundreisechsundzwanzigfunf,and I'm NOT kidding-they're written on the pages of my german book. The word for classmate is Klassekomrade (class comrade...lol) and we were watching a movie and it said the german word for restroom was "pissor" hahahaha,good times...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by stardust [/i]
[B]L;ike the number 365 is like dreihundreisechsundzwanzigfunf,and I'm NOT kidding- [/B][/QUOTE] [FONT=arial]You're also not correct. /

Three hundred sixty five is "drei-hundert-funf-und-sechzig," or "three hundred, five and sixty." (I seperated the words so it's easier to read, although the hyphens wouldn't normally be there.)

You've got "three hundred six and twenty five," which doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe pages 325 and 326? I don't know...[/FONT]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sara [/i]
[B][size=1]I love [i]language[/i]. Words fascinate me. I get all giddy and stuff, it's funny. *laughs softly*

But, yes. For me, it's not really about how [i]useful[/i] a language would be. I mean, I went to Germany this summer and had no trouble communicating at all when I used English. (Which I generally made a point of not doing, because it sort of defeats the purpose of being in a country where English isn't the official language.) It's just that fact that [i]knowing[/i] it would be so [i]awesome.[/i] Heck, I'd even specifically find a job that required the use of another language if it meant I'd be able to learn it. Heh.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=deeppink]
I agree completely.

Writing is an art form, and languages are the different mediums of it. I adore playing with words, and combining phrases from several different langugages. And the idea of being able to speak to someone in a different tongue is just...amazing.

Yea. Anyway. And as for German not being useful - I will fully disagree. Many products from Asia get shipped to Germany before they come to America. So Germany is, in essence, the middle man. Somewhat like the Italy of the Renaissance world. Plus, not only Germans speak German. The various small countries surrounding Germany (ie: The Czech Republic) also speak German, as do parts of France.

And here's an intresting fact: Both English and German are based on Old Germanic. Not Latin, as many Americans believe. During the 1500's(I think, I might be off) [i]both[/i] the English and the German languages integrated many French words into their language, and since Latin is the basis of French, people get the misleading idea that English comes from Latin. But the only languages that come from Latin are the 'romance languages' (ie: Spanish, French, Italian). So German is really far more like English than, say, Spanish.

And yes. German has really neat words. Like the word for glue(kleibstoff) literally means 'stick stuff.' Heehee.

Mitch, you're wrong. Schade is [i]so[/i] much cooler than Eheu. Schade owns Eheu. Do not deny it. ^-~

I'm in my fourth year of Spanish. I enjoy it a lot. It's an awesome language (more romantic, I think, than French which sounds like the guy is about to sneeze on you...) I actually started Spanish freshman year b/c my school didn't offer Latin (which I took in 8th grade). I would love to take up Latin again. It ends up being very helpful (most English words have Latin roots). German was my second choice if I didn't get into Spanish. There are so few German kids at our school that they end up very close-knit.
Actually, we have our foreign language banquet coming up on the 11th. German is sponsoring it this year (german chocolate cake!!). We have competitions b/t the students of each language. We've won twice in a row. (the funny thing is, the german kids take it so seriously that they spend time in class practicing for the three-legged race and knock-out...) :laugh:

Guest Drizzt DoUrden
I'm going to start taking Japanese this Monday *cheers*. I about died when my teacher told me that she had the books in lol!