OtakuBoards

Songs and Bands You're Embarrassed to Like?

Semjaza

I didn't know what else to name this thread. Nothing else seemed to fit. "Embarrassed" doesn't seem like the right word, but whatever.

Basically, I'm asking for bands or songs that you like for some odd reason... even though you normally wouldn't. Like someone really into punk liking some N'Sync song.

I have a couple. I've always liked The Call by the Backstreet Boys. I don't know why, but I just think it's a really solid song... aside from the annoying girl going "Hello??" and "Where are you??". I want to hit her...

Hard.

Anyway, the other one is that solo CD by Nick Carter. Now or Never, I believe. One of my friend's really likes it, so I wind up hearing it far more than I would have liked to.

It wound up getting stuck in my head though, and I have to admit that it's a really, really solid pop rock album. There's a few crappy songs on it, but most are well above average. Nothing mind blowing, but good stuff.

Normally I listen to random punk, metal, industrial and hard rock... so these are somewhat out of the ordinary for me. There was a time when I wouldn't have admitted it (years back), but I don't see the problem now lol.

Anyone else?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doo doo doo doo doo dooooo doowah!

It doesn't matter what comes, fresh goes better in life, and Mentos is fresh and full of life.

Nothing gets to you, staying fresh staying cool! With Mentos, fresh and full of life.

Fresh goes better! Mentos freshness! Fresh goes better with Mentos, fresh and full of life!

Mentos, the freshmaker!

That song is awesome lol. Sure is repetitive once you type it out though. I actually have a MP3 of it... :D

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wrist cutter [/i]
[B]Even worse is that I love the Mentos song. So what if it's only 30 seconds! It can really get caught in your head. [/B][/QUOTE]

The other day I kept on watching some flash video with the Mentos song. I must have watched it 50 times, then I went out and bought some Mentos (while singing the song to myself).

When it comes to songs I'm embarrassed to like there's a lot of them. I like "Bring Me Back" by Evanescence. I haven't heard any of their other stuff though, so I don't know if I would like any more of it. Then there's "Boys and Girls" by Good Charlotte (even if the lyrics are awful). I'd rather have someone split my head open than listen to any other Good Charlotte song, but for some reason I like that one.

I'm embarrassed that I'm actually like the Spice Girls. None of them have musical talent and can sing but yet they were the biggest thing in the 90s. I have all there CDs(US and British) which aren't worth nothing now. I hate then so much but I find myself humimg their lyrics all the time. I know every word to every song by them. Today I found myself listening to their CD in my car, but worst thing about it is that I took Linkin Park out to put then in. I even bought Gingers solo album.

[FONT=arial]heh, I like some NSYNC stuff. the stuff from their No Strings Attached album, anyway. probably more embarrassing than that is that I like the pop group Steps. it's like S-Club 7, but for some reason I can stand Steps, and I hate S-Club. funny thing is I went and bought the Steps CD at the same time I bought Toxicity. meh, the cashier guy actually asked me if I was buying any of them as gifts (as in, "You're not seriously getting both of those for yourself, right?"). that was pretty humiliating at the time. I'm over it though. ...:twitch:[/FONT]

*shudder*
That evil EVIL Ricky Martin CD I bought.

Like everybody, I was into the song "Livin' La Vida Loca." I liked the song so much that I bought Ricky Martin's CD; the most boring CD ever forged on this green Earth. I tried to get rid of it, but I kept finding it over and over. I hid it under my bed, and it was on my desk one day. I hid it in my bottom drawer, and it came back! There's no getting rid of it! To this day, it still lurks in the farthest reaches of my room.

I also own 2Gether's CD. Don't ask. Just don't ask.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Manic [/i]
[B]I also own 2Gether's CD. Don't ask. Just don't ask. [/B][/QUOTE]
[size=1]"I know my calculus, it says you plus me equals us!"

Heh, I loved that song. They are the greatest boy band parody ever. I also bought that darn Ricky Martin CD because of "Livin' La Vida Loca," I sure felt cool owning it for about 30 minutes. I'm pretty sure I broke it on purpose, though. That's what happens to a lot of CDs I'm embarassed to have own.

I have bad taste in music, so I often find myself embarassed about what I listed to. If it's bad and/or trendy music, chances are that I have purchased it at some point in time. Embarassed purchases include: Cher (Believe), Elmopalooza, Sixpence None the Richer, Jeniffer Lopez's first CD, Josie and the Pussycats Soundtrack and Christina Aguilera's Spanish language album.

-Shy[/size]

[size=1] I like Hero by Enrique Inglasias for some apparent reason and sometimes sing it in the shower which is embarrasing.
I've also started liking songs by Daniel Bedingfield which I really don't know why.
Due to my girlfriend listening to these I have also become attached to listening and downloading songs from the like of Busted [/size]

Guest Magdalena
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]I have a couple. I've always liked The Call by the Backstreet Boys. I don't know why, but I just think it's a really solid song... aside from the annoying girl going "Hello??" and "Where are you??". I want to hit her... [/B][/QUOTE]

I thought I was the only one who liked that song.
I also still love Show Me The Meaning of Being Lonely

I love Prince!!! lol He's great, but listening to Prince and knowing all the lyrics in front of all the hard core little boys in school makes me blush a bit. Heh, not as embaressing as the Backstreet Boys, but I'm getting there. I used to be a HUGE fan of Enrique Iglesias, but that was my retarded phase, when I was retarded and I acted like a retard. Thank God that's over...even though I still know all the lyrics...<_<;;;

Man, well, I'm embarrassed to say this, but since thats what this thread is about then I'll admit it. Well...I am sad to say that I own a copy of Christina Aguilera's first CD(the one with Genie In A Bottle). But you gotta admit, that CD had a few hot tracks on there. That "Genie In A Bottle" was that heat. If I had a copy of that instrumental, it'd be a little somethin that I could freestyle off of.

Also, I will admit, I also liked the Spice Girls. Man, dont hate on it. That track "Say You'll Be There" will live in infamy as one of the most slept on(yet best)pop tracks of all time.

And yes I'm somewhat of a fan of Justin Timberlake...but thats because he did a collabo with 50 Cent and E-40. Plus "Rock Your Body" is a hot track.

Well...I will go kill myself now.

It's okay. I like basically every "shameful" mainstream pop group there is to like. I suppose I'm not proud of it, but I don't really care either. I have come to terms with the fact that I am a top 40's girl.

It is really amusing to read that Tony likes a Backstreet Boys song, though. And I wonder how that 2Gether CD is.

2Gether was a satire band, so all of their songs tend to make fun of typical BSB/N Sync songs. "Say It (Don't Spray It)" is taking the old cliche "Say it, don't spray it. I want the news, not the weather." as a chorus and throwing a bunch of obvious sexual references around it. "Before We Say Goodbye" (my favorite song from the CD) pokes fun at two people breaking up. "Rub One Out" is a song about masturbation. All the the songs have verses that are purposesly sexual, while the choruses are always light and child-friendly. It's funny in a sense that you have to realize that their lyrics make fun of other boybands without actually naming any names.

I'd forgotten all about my old S Club 7 obsession. I have their first two albums (S Club, and 7). I'm kinda upset, because I got the first US release of 7 which [i]didn't[/i] include "Never Had A Dream Come True." A few months after "7" hit US stores, it got re-released in the US with 2 new songs.

I even made an AMV using an S Club 7 song. However, after their TV show went from LA to Hollywood in the 3rd season, I got tired of them. Their songs from the "Sunshine" album showed absolutely no growth from the "7" album. The show lost its charm. One of the members left the group. And to top things off, Rachel decided to get married in real life!

Don't look at me.

:D I was a big fan of 2 become 1, I dunno why, but I really liked how peacfull that one was, and the one they released after geri left, goodbye, I really like the slow ones.

And now that I think about it, I can quite happily watch top of the pops 2 with my dad, it's funny watching him singing along, besides some of the stuff tehre is really good, I just hate when they play Kylie Minogue *shudder* And even when there aren't any good ones on, you can laugh at the clothes they're wearing.

I linked Genie in a Bottle too, And Lou Begas 'Mambo no 5' brings back so many memories of when I was just seriously getting into anime and me and my then friend were still, uh, friends. Damn beer. Oh, I love regge too, or some of, I find that it's really good chill out music. I also like Daft Punk (with blue anime vids..?) and some rap, some hip hop. I'm not embarrassed about any of it until I start talking to some narrow minded scalie, who thinks thatthe only good music is gangsta rap and trance (some of which I like) I also have Faye Wong singing 'Dreams' in Chinese. :D

[color=blue]Yeah, The Harlequin is going to kill me if he reads this...Oh well
I love that Dirty Pop song, by N*sync, I don't think thats the right name but damn its a cool song. Also, I can honestly say that Thicke's When I get you alone is damn cool. Yeah, Justin Timberlake's new stuff doesn't sound too bad. I can't remember the name of the song, but it's pretty damn funky as well.
OH yeah, and I hate to say it, but I do have a copy of Avril's album...[/color]

[font=gothic][color=indigo]Jack, you have seen my CD collection haven't you? We have enough utter crap to shame anyone here...

But anyway, I'll admit I am a major Meatloaf fan, still (the piano solo in Bat Out Of Hell stands as the best I've ever heard, and the drums in Gonna Love Her For Both Of Us puts nearly anyone to shame)... And there's that "Another Love Song" by Amiel

Other than that, the only bands that several people seem to think I should be ashamed of liking are Bright Eyes, Screamfeeder, Depeche Mode, J Masic and the Fog, Nightwish, and Warren Zevon. Now, I'm firmly convinced all of these bands/artists are acceptable, but you'd be surprised how many people disagree.[/font][/color]

[color=darkgreen][font=gothic]Destiny's child - survivor, independant woman... they can sing. And lately, Beyonce, Crazy for love or whatever - the one with the trumpets. Wonderful.

My greatest shame was buying Sex and Violins by the Rednecks, and listening to it often. I then bought the mortal kombat album and forgot all about it...
Kylie Minouge and Robbie Williams did a song called Kids and it is fantastic, I have the single. I'm also a sucker for crappy techno music.

When I lived overseas for a year I got into some bad stuff - the german version of the Sailor Moon theme song - ask anyone, I still know the words, and sing it often.

Although Christina Aguilera or blah blah whatever whatever is annoying as all crude profanity word, I unmute the tv when the ad for her cd is on.

I'll edit this later, but for now, I'm for some reason acting like I'm not going to school tomorrow. Need to go to bed. [/color][/font]

[color=indigo]I don?t know if I embarrassed that I like any of the music that I do, but there is a lot of stuff that I like or have liked that I guess doesn?t fit my musical personality (if there is such a thing). I used to be a huge Boys 2 Men fan, I think I actually own every one of there albums made before 1994, and I still think that they are the greatest boy band ever. I know all the words to Ace of Base?s [b]Sign[/b] and Brittany Spears? [b]Slave[/b] and Beyonce?s [b]Crazy In Love[/b] because I have watched the video?s several million times. I have tempted to buy Michelle Branch and Nora Jones albums several times because I enjoy their voices and their songs. I am a proud fan of Bon Jovi, Poison, Motley Crue, as well as A-Ha, Boy George, and Elvis Costello. I think that The Calling wrote some pretty catchy ballads, Lenny Kravits will always be cool (except for that [b]Let Love Rule[/b] song, that blew), and Jimmy Eats World writes some decent pop rock. I listen to alt-country bands like Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, and Cravin? Melon quite frequently.

Wait, strike my first comment, I am embarrassed by one band that I used to like, 311. They are a horrible band; I admit that I listened to them because a girl that I liked was into them?I am such a poser?[/color]