OtakuBoards

Metrosexual

AutoKill

[size=1] Yeah, explain. I cannot get the definition off of [url]www.dictionary.com[/url] without signing up for a premium service, which costs money.

It should be obvious you would need to explain your thread. Not everyone watches South Park incessantly; this should be granted and given. In threads in the future please do explain things that others might not know.[/size]

Oooh, I can explain this one! Metrosexuality has been the talk of the town over here, AND i happened to see the South Park you were talking about. :D

Metrosexuality is basically this: a straight man in touch with his feminine side. Meaning he's more open emontionally, cares about how he looks, and just carries more feminine qualities. Metrosexuals basically have all the gay stereotypes, but aren't gay.
Does that make any sense? I hope so.

Anyways, I kinda like the idea of metrosexuality. The big macho touch guy thing never really did anything for me. For some reason the "sensitive guy" idea is appeling to me. But then again, I'm just weird.

It might be a fad, I'm not sure. I personally hope the fad sticks around, if thats the case. :P

David Beckham (the soccer star) is often cited as a typical metrosexual male.

I've heard of that South Park episode, but haven't seen it.

Anyway, I don't really understand how the increasing acceptance of metrosexuality could help to alleviate homophobia. After all, metrosexual guys are, by definition, straight--they're just better groomed than most other het males.

~Dagger~

[size=1]I don't know if Metrosexuality is going to change anything about the public acceptance of Gays and Lesbians. This is just some sort of trendy word that's going to fade away, and then straight men will go back to fearing and misunderstanding gay people. Being a Metrosexual doesn't even mean that they are accepting of homosexuals, it just means they act like them.

In some ways this concept of "acting gay without being gay bothers me" since it only helps to further many negative stereotypes. I can't dance, I don't dress very well, and I certainly don't speak with a lisp. Maybe if these Metrosexuals would take on some of the positive stereotypes associated with being gay, I'd be more open to their decision to have a psuedo-sexuality.

-Shy[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shy [/i]
[B][size=1]and then straight men will go back to fearing and misunderstanding gay people. [/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]Haha. I hope you aren't stereotyping there. You would be a hypocrite.

Anyway. I don't really find how it could "help" the gay community. However, I doubt it will "hurt" it either. It, to me, is an "eh" situation.

I tolerate them. They annoy me, but I try to ignore it. I honestly prefer hanging out with just normal homosexual guys and girls- they are all great people, nothing wrong with them at all. [/color]

[quote]For some reason the "sensitive guy" idea is appeling to me.[/quote]

[color=crimson]lol. There have been sensitive males since the beginning of time. You just have to find them.[/color]

[b](EDIT)[/b][i]metrosexual

South Park brings up good issues...

So do you think metrosexual people are good for the gay community. And that it?s a way to lift prejudice off of homosexuals. Or do you think that its just a fad.[/i][b](EDIT)[/b]

I wrote this on the fly. I really wanted it to be posted before I went to school. Very sorry that I failed to give a good explanation.

[b]Metrosexual:[/b] (MET.roh.sek.shoo.ul) n. A dandyish narcissist in love with not only himself, but also his urban lifestyle; a straight man who is in touch with his feminine side.

The reason why I mixed this into the gay community is the fact that most homosexual people often have the same characteristics as a metrosexual person. (Vise-versa)(Not all but most.)
So that brings up mine topics, like....
Are metrosexual people just "posers". Or is it a new type of dressing fad. (I am referring to fashion and personality effects of metrosexuality.)

Or do you think that the spread of metrosexuality is helping people better understand homosexuals. And if in a way metrosexuality helps lift prejudice off the gay community.

1) Is metrosexuality
a type of fad?
2) Dose metrosexuality lift prejudice off the gay community?

[i]Very sorry for the sloppy and ill-complete post.[/i]

South Park exagerated the WHOLE deal.... lol. You can only take South Park so serious and then you have to ignore the rest of it. It's a comedy show, they are going to exagerate....

ANyway, no straight man is THAT gay.... they don't exist.... not only because they are straight and therefor fear being accused of being gay or even taken seriously, as seen in South Park by Mr Garrison doing what he was doing.... Metrosexuality is a fake sexuality... it's a media thing... It's the same thing as Straight men who are comfortable with their sexuality. I don't think the gay community needs any help from Metrosexuality to make everyone more comfortable with gay people.... I think we're doing just fine right now without that term. In fact I believe it might do more damage than good. But thats me.

[Quote][i]Transtic Nerve[/i]
[b]I think we're doing just fine right now without that term. In fact I believe it might do more damage than good. But thats me.[/b][/quote]

I think this still depends on the area you live. I live in a small town were mine things are rather taboo. I can safe say that homosexuality has a long way to go before every one is rather comfortable about it. There are mine people in my grade that show and say rather violent things about the gay community.

Even if metrosexuality is a type of fad. I think it helps bring the homosexual community out of the minority group, and in a way helps people understand.

[color=royal blue]I believe that metrosexuals could help the gay community. One of the main issues in my town (and probably much of the country, for that matter) is that if a guy acts at all feminine, then they are instantly labeled as gay. I see this the most in my school, and I'm sure I notice it far more than most people because I'm one of the targets. I think that if more men were to act more feminine, then the opinion that all feminine guys are homosexual would be changed.

Seeing how I'm gay, there's nothing I can do about it, but I do have a male friend who acts slightly feminine from time to time. He's straight, but people pick on him a lot for being "gay." I think if more straight guys were to act like him, then people would realize that femininity in a male doesn't necessarily mean that he's homosexual.[/color]

[size=1] I also don't think it's right, Josh, for you to just state that all heterosexuals misunderstand homosexuals. Of course not. I suppose you meant some, but you didn't add any buffering word in between that statement, so it's taken as such.

[/size]

[color=#707875]EDIT: Oops! Sorry Mitch; I edited your post rather than quoting it!

<_<

I apologise. Please feel free to come back and re-edit it.[/color]

I saw the episode. LOL it was so funny! But anyway. I haven't met any one metrosexual and didn't even know it was real. I don't really see it as a fad but more of a personality. I know plenty of guys who are sensitive and act gay but aren't. But they're not really metro just wierd. Gay people do make me nervous but I adjust. They're people just like us and they shouldn't be persecuted for they chosing (I'm not gay).

[quote][b]I also don't think it's right, Josh, for you to just state that all heterosexuals misunderstand homosexuals. Of course not. I suppose you meant some, but you didn't add any buffering word in between that statement, so it's taken as such. [/quote][/b]

[color=#707875]I took the statement mostly as a generalization. I think it's an accurate one; [i]most[/i] heterosexual men do fear and misunderstand gays, at least on a very basic level.

Even many men who say "Yeah I'm comfortable with homosexuals" will feel queasy or weird when he's around one. And that is still, fundamentally, the result of an in-built prejudice that needs to be overcome.

In any case...I don't even see how this "Metrosexual" thing has any real meaning whatsoever. In my opinion, it's an insult to homosexual people. It assumes that all gay people act feminine, when the vast majority don't. The truth is that you probably come across dozens and dozens of gay people in your life and never know it simply because they don't tell you. That's just how it is.

This Metrosexual terms is only another stereotype. It stereotypes homosexuals and it also stereotypes heterosexuals, by assuming that all straight men are butch, uncaring, single-minded morons. There are plenty of straight men who care about their appreance and are sensitive, as much or moreso than most gay men. lol

The whole thing is utterly stupid.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mitch [/i]
[B][size=1] I also don't think it's right, Josh, for you to just state that all heterosexuals misunderstand homosexuals. Of course not. I suppose you meant some, but you didn't add any buffering word in between that statement, so it's taken as such.

[/size]

[color=#707875]I took the statement mostly as a generalization. I think it's an accurate one; [i]most[/i] heterosexual men do fear and misunderstand gays, at least on a very basic level.

Even men who say "Yeah I'm comfortable with homosexuals" will feel queasy or weird when he's around one. And that is still, fundamentally, the result of an in-built prejudice that needs to be overcome.

In any case...I don't even see how this "Metrosexual" thing has any real meaning whatsoever. In my opinion, it's an insult to homosexual people. It assumes that all gay people act feminine, when the vast majority don't. The truth is that you probably come across dozens and dozens of gay people in your life and never know it simply because they don't tell you. That's just how it is.

This Metrosexual terms is only another stereotype. It stereotypes homosexuals and it also stereotypes heterosexuals, by assuming that all straight men are butch, uncaring, single-minded morons. There are plenty of straight men who care about their appreance and are sensitive, as much or moreso than most gay men. lol

The whole thing is utterly stupid.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1] James, I see you accidently must have deleted my older post and edited it and added what is in your textual color lol.

Ah well. We seem to see mostly eye-to-eye in my case.

Yes, most , and I, would feel strange around someone whom is gay. I would think, "Is he checking me out?" and other such thoughts. But I would not be disgusted, and I would not think any less of them.

It's only following one's nature. That is what sexuality is in its most viceral form. And I do not see anything wrong with that, whether one be homosexual or heterosexual.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mitch [/i]
[B][size=1] James, I see you accidently must have deleted my older post and edited it and added what is in your textual color lol.

Ah well. We seem to see mostly eye-to-eye in my case.

Yes, most , and I, would feel strange around someone whom is gay. I would think, "Is he checking me out?" and other such thoughts. But I would not be disgusted, and I would not think any less of them.

It's only following one's nature. That is what sexuality is in its most viceral form. And I do not see anything wrong with that, whether one be homosexual or heterosexual.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#707875]Yep, sorry about that. I edited it again just as you wrote this. lol

Anyway, yeah...we basically agree. As far as your thoughts...well, when you are around women do you always think "Is she checking me out?"

There is this feeling that gay men are sexual predators or are always interested in sex. *shrug*

It's just another false stereotype.[/color]

[size=1] It'd be just a little, incy thought in my head, maybe, you know. I'm sort of paranoid lol.

I wouldn't say it, and the person wouldn't know it.

Yeah. I do want to think some girls look at me sometimes, of course. :p

It adds to my "confidence" lol.

Yeah. Don't worry about the deletion of the post. :) [I'm just in a smiley-user mood...]

I have done it before, back when I modded here in OL, I believe. It's really frustrating when you do it, too.

And yes, it's just another false stereotype. As with most things that are such a big deal to people.

It's just like how people think that since someone is in a religion they are all pure. Or how if someone's not in a religion people think, if they are religious, that they are bad and evil and tainted.

It's just like Indians being seen as weaker than whites; whites being seen as better than blacks. It's all rooted from the same weed, heh.

Stereotype its very self seems like a stereotype. Where'd this word come to be?

Although, when talking to Poison Tongue, I came up with an interesting metaphor.

It's called a stereotype, because like a tape played in a stereo, each and evey bit and piece of a stereotype gets worn down and of lesser quality, since it's all analog. The only digital, crisp, everlasting thing is what comes from the heart and breathes from it. [/size]

[quote][i]Originally posted by James[/i]
[b]Anyway, yeah...we basically agree. As far as your thoughts...well, when you are around women do you always think "Is she checking me out?"

There is this feeling that gay men are sexual predators or are always interested in sex. *shrug*

It's just another false stereotype.[/b][/quote]

Males are thee aggressors in sexual encounters although. So i guess there is at some level to witch homosexual males may be more of the predators then heterosexual females.

I do understand that in all actuality to label a group of people as something different is silly. But if it helps comfort people with homosexuality then I find it welcoming. I would hope to see less prejudice about these types of things.

Guest Crimson Spider
I'm with Semjaza Azazel on this one. I still see gayness as a choice. But it isn't like "Oh. I'll chose to be gay tomarrow." What happens is that as time goes on, one takes observations at a usually young age, then makes an assumption, and you go with it. Mind over matter.

Take this for an example about mind over matter: A man once hypnotized some volunteers, and told them he was going to put a scolding hot Iron to their skin. So he takes a relitivly cool piece of metal, which he touches himself, and touches it to their skin. Immediatly, blisters and burn marks appear.

So if that can happen, one can easily assume and believe that they like their same sex.

(remembers debate at other board, and braces for TN for another off topic post from him attacking CS).

[size=1] I actually say segregating more and more pieces of pie to labeling of peoples will only bring more prejudices; such as how I think this metrosexual term shall be.

It obviously hasn't been heard too widely as of yet. I hadn't even heard of it...I'm sure most people that hadn't heard of south park had heard it.

So yes, I do not see this benefitting anything. Blacks are still, to this day, more prone to less education and poverty than whites. Things like these don't change. They're beaten into the very ribs of society, and they hold its heart and allow it to beat.[/size]

[color=Red]EDIT: Same thing goes for you that I said about Crimson a few posts down. I don't want thing stemming into some debate on choice. Read my post after CS's for reason. If you want what you said, I have saved it and will gladly send it to you through a PM if you so desire.[/color]

There was an article on the news about this a while ago- like a month and a half. Metrosexuality is just guys who care about how they are presented, can deal with their emotions, and are basically trendy. It may contain some relationship to gay people in their manner, but not without stereotyping everyone. Which is unfair as Shy pointed out.

The whole idea is a stereotype. They seem to think that people can only be a certain way. Either, overtly tough, strong, and un-emotional, gay [with all those stupid stereotypical attatchments], or now metrosexuality, a kind of in between. I take some care in how I look, but not overtly. It is nothing but another term to box us in and categorise eveyone. I hate that.

EDIT****************

Mitch:I have never seen South park, but I know about this. It was on the news over here in AUS a few months ago. So yeah.

And island gurl: Most of the people here are American, so they'll be asleep when we're up. Screwy people, aren't they?

I find this utterly hilarious. South Park is here punking the Hell out of all of these so-called "liberals" and at the end, they show how weak-minded they are.

My point is this; "Metrosexual" guys are following a fad. In this age, everyone's trying not to hate and be open-minded and be fair. But by trying so hard, they end up doing the exact opposite. And end up being so stereotypical it's not even funny.

The entire world just needs to sit back, accept people for who they are, and shut the hell up.