OtakuBoards

Final Fantasy IX

Mimmsicle

[color=chocolate]Could anyone shed some light over the last boss in FF IX? [spoiler](if I'm not mistaken his/her/its name was Nechron ?)[/spoiler]
[color=firebrick][SIZE=1]Granted, it has been a while since I played it, and I never did get around to completing the game repeatedly)[/SIZE][/color]
I cannot for my life understand where it came from, nor did I think it made sense.
It sort of felt misplaced and unnecessary.
Have I missed out completely on the meaning of the last boss, except for the reason stated by the boss itself ?
[color=firebrick][SIZE=1](which was alright and all, but I felt no build-up to such a point. then again I seem to miss out on a lot of things.)[/size][/color]

- Mimmi[/color]

I agree. It was a fairly fun battle, but it was also completely random. It took me several tries to beat Nechron, simply because I hadn't initially been prepared to fight anyone after I was through with Kuja. [spoiler]That status effects attack was pretty damn annoying, too[/spoiler].

I haven't finished playing it yet, but I've heard that FFIX borrows many elements from Final Fantasy IV. So perhaps looking into their similarities might shed light on why Squaresoft included that last boss.

In any case, you've brought up a very good question.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE]I haven't finished playing it yet, but I've heard that FFIX borrows many elements from Final Fantasy IV.[/quote]
[color=chocolate][SIZE=1]My sister has the earlier games now that they've been released to playstation, but I myself have only played since FFVII, so I wouldn't know. but I'd like to... know. hrm.[/SIZE]

Anyway, speaking of FFIX: the first time I played it, it seemed to come off a bit Disney-ish. I don't know why, but I think it had something to do with Zidane. he just didn't send out those vibes that Cloud and Squall did in the prior games.
the style just came of as somewhat... cute, would be the word.
maybe it's just me *shrugs*

FFIX got better after a couple of rounds of playing it, but the initial reaction to the style and the final boss just made me unsure about it the first time 'round.

- Mimmi[/color]

I really enjoyed FFIX's love story. And yes, the characters are a bit more chibi-fied than those in FFVII and FFVIII. But it made for a nice change of pace, especially after all that angst. Zidane is just such a likeable guy.

It's not exactly a challenging game, but I thought that the battle system was decent, and the plot was interesting enough to keep me playing.

~Dagger~

[color=chocolate]it was nice how the love story was pretty straighforward and basically uncomplicated.... if that can be the case when one is a princess and the other a thief.... hrm.

about the main charachter:
in FFVII Cloud was pretty messed up, but Tifa was relly together.
in FFVIII Squall was (surprise :rolleyes: ) introverted and unfriendly, whereas Rinoa was really open and loving.
so seeing as the two games before had somewhat broody main characters, they decided to let a supporting character (Vivi) do the heavyweight work and allow the leading man to be somewhat goofy.

But even though Zidane is such an easy-going guy, they still managed to pull off that "dark" sequence [/color][spoiler](I can't remember the name of the place, but it was on his homeplanet)[/spoiler] [color=chocolate]and made a good "crossover", if you will. [/color]
[spoiler]and the music at that point is in the same league as when you battle Sephiroth in the Northern Cave [i]*shiver me timbers... I mean spine*[/i]
[/spoiler]
[color=chocolate]the more I think about FFIX, the more I think of things to bring up and think more about. I'll stop now.

- Mimmi[/color]

[QUOTE]Annnnd...what about the last boss of FFIX?[/quote][color=chocolate] are you're hinting at me going on about the storyline ? :therock:
:p
well, the [i]very[/i] last boss was out of the blue and misplaced (in my humble opinion).
the bosses before the last boss were a delight to fight. very Sephiroth-esque, so to speak. had it ended there, bliss would have ensued. but alas, it did not. :cross:

- Mimmi[/color]

[color=royal blue]I beat FFIX quite a long time ago, so I'm not entirely sure if this is correct or not. [spoiler]I believe Necron was the controlling force behind Garland and Kuja. Or maybe it was just Garland, I don't know. I'm not sure where I heard that from, I just heard it somewhere.

But yes, Necron was a very random final boss. Up until that point, he had never been incorporated into the story, and suddenly he showed up as the last boss of the game.[/spoiler][/color]

Guest Magical Girl
[font=comic sans ms][color=blue]well, it's kinda been a while so they might've actually said this in the game, but [spoiler]i think it might've had something to do with the crystal.. when Kuja used Ultima and destroyed it, Necron was released (?) to destroy all existence[/spoiler] he was still pretty random though -_-;[/font][/color]

• 7 months later...
I am about to go to Ipsens Castle and all my characters are at lvl 44 and under and i would like to level up ALOT before i go on and since I got Cids Mobile Airship I can go anywhere now. Where is a good place to level up my characters before i move on??

Really just anywere

but if you can you should try equipping items that absorb thunder attacks, then try and find the grand dragons. There useally near the city with the waterfalls just keep fighting them and alternate between the characters that should level you up pretty fast. It worked for me but when I went into Ipsen's castle I was only at level 35 so i don't think you should any problem fighting the boss there.

• 4 weeks later...
I loved playing FFlX I thought the graphoics were really good (and i probably said this before but if you listen closely you can hear the different sounds of footprints as the charcters walk on different types of floors...i think its awesome!!!!) I thought the battle system was...ok, the atb was so slow at loading!!! [spoiler]and I was really thrown off by the last battle with Necred. It would've made more sence for an ending where kuja somehow fuses with the crystal so he has all the powers of the ancients memories ( or whatever what was in the crystal) That would've been more convincing than some monster metal type thing that is never ever mentioned thoughout the whole game.

-plus the crystal was destroyed by kuja right?? shouldn't the world of Gaia be destroyed too?? what i got from the plot was that if the crytal of the planet was destroyed the planet would die. I think they showed that in oielevert at one point.[/spoiler]
[COLOR=Red]
[SIZE=1]Please use spoiler tags in the future. Some people might get a bit upset over what you've posted here if they've not made it as far in the game. Thanks. - Semjaza[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=indigo]I think some people are misunderstanding what happened at the end of the game. . . .

[spoiler]Kuja didn't destroy the Crystal when he cast Ultima. Personally, I think it was a last ditch effort to try and destroy it because Zidane had beaten him, though who knows. But the reason I know he didn't manage to destroy it is because Necron himself, before the battle begins, says that he came to destroy the Crystal and cast the universe back into absolute nothingness. (The "Zero World," I think he called it). So Kuja couldn't have destroyed the Crystal when he cast Ultima or else, as people have said, Gaia and in fact the whole universe would have ceased to exist.

As for where Necron came from, anyone's guess is as good as the next person's, I think. I sure don't remember ever hearing about him or anything like him at all in the game before he actually shows up; I don't think it's ever explained. About all we know is that he came (or was he released? I forget the exact wording) to destroy the Crystal. My guess would be that something funky happened when Kuja cast Ultima so close to the Crystal, and Necron was released or whatever.[/spoiler][/color]

• 3 months later...
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1]Okay, I know the last reply to this thread was ages ago, but since this is a thread on FF9, I thought I'd ask my question here >_< Sorry if I should have started a new thread or something.

Ahem, anyways...

[SPOILER]I'm in Pandemonium and I've just got past the stage where Zidane comes out of his depressive mood and is moving on to find Garland.
Now, I've saved my game and moved on to this room that's full of pots. I've read two walkthroughs and they tell me exactly what happens but I just can't get past this level.

The thing is, I have to press a switch to activate...something? on the next screen. But as soon as I press a switch a 30 second timer comes on meaning I have to move fast. That's fair enough, but I?ve got a monster attacking me in between and it is literally impossible to get to where I need to go in time! As soon as the timer runs out, I'm right back at the switch again and I have to repeat the process.[/SPOILER]

I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong, but for someone who?s finished at least disc three, did you find this hard or am I just stupid? O_o I really want to move on, because I've read into the walkthrough and the next few cut scenes sound amazing....so please, I'd really appreciate any help >_<

Sorry again if this is in the wrong thread.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[spoiler]Once you press the switch, you have to move through the room. Touching any of the "pots" that are lit up at the time (with the blue light) will put you into a battle. You can touch pots that are not lit up without any penalty. The room is annoying, but you should be able to get through it after a few tries.[/spoiler]

EDIT: Oh, and no worries about reviving the thread. We'd much rather you post in a currently existing thread than make a new one, especially if your post is relevant. Makes it easier on us :)

I don't know if you've gone pass this point but it doesn't hurt to give some advice. It took me one try to get through that trail (sorry if I'm braging but its true) To my recolection after I turned on the switch I had to miss the lights that glowed......like you couldn't pass between two of those glowing orb things (hope you know what I mean heh.) there should be a pattern of how those lights work. Sorry if this isn't much help. I've looked on a bunch of sites and it hasn't helped at all it doesn't tell me anything about that.... heck I have the official strategy guide and it won't tell me anything. :p

[SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][FONT=Book Antiqua]Thanks a lot for that help, guys, I really appreciate it. The sad thing is, I would never have figured that out if I hadn't asked for help -.-; good thing there are smart people out there XD I can tell my obsession for this game is going to start growing yet again.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 5 months later...
[center][font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=yellowgreen][i]I had to stay home sick today and decided to play Final Fantasy 9,[/i][/color][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=yellowgreen][i]but I am able to beat very quickly so, I am working on the Chocobo sidequest, I need to get into chocobo's Lagoon..[/i][/color][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=yellowgreen][i]Any advise?[/i][/color][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=yellowgreen][i]Also, if your timer hits 99:59:59?[/i][/color][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=yellowgreen][i]What would happen if the timer got over that?[/i][/color][/size][/font][/center]

[i][font=Century Gothic][color=yellowgreen][/color][/font][/i][center][i][color=yellowgreen]Well, I had a theory that I needed to be on my Chocobo,[/color][/i][/center]
[center][i][color=#9acd32]to get inside, but it is next to impossible for me to call Choco over,[/color][/i][/center]
[center][i][color=#9acd32]when the mist is hanging around.[/color][/i][/center]
[center][i][color=#9acd32]It seems impossible to call him!! ><[/color][/i][/center]
[center][i][color=#9acd32]Do you know a specific island that I could go to, [/color][/i][/center]
[center][i][color=#9acd32]like a name or something,[/color][/i][/center]
[center][i][color=#9acd32]that I could call Choco and reach the Chocobo's Lagoon from?[/color][/i][/center]

[color=#4B0082]I merged this with the original FFIX thread. In the future, please use the search function to check if there's already a thread about the same game. Thanks.

But anyway, there should be a little island in the string of them there by the Chocobo's Lagoon with Chocobo tracks on it. It's a decent ways away from the island with the Lagoon, but you should be able to get there by crossing over the shallow water connecting the string of islands. I think you need the Blue Narcis (or whatever the boat you get is called) to get to the island with the tracks, though.[/color]

• 1 year later...
Guest Tifa_Strife
[QUOTE=Mimminx][color=chocolate]Could anyone shed some light over the last boss in FF IX? [spoiler](if I'm not mistaken his/her/its name was Nechron ?)[/spoiler]
[color=firebrick][SIZE=1]Granted, it has been a while since I played it, and I never did get around to completing the game repeatedly)[/SIZE][/color]
I cannot for my life understand where it came from, nor did I think it made sense.
It sort of felt misplaced and unnecessary.
Have I missed out completely on the meaning of the last boss, except for the reason stated by the boss itself ?
[color=firebrick][SIZE=1](which was alright and all, but I felt no build-up to such a point. then again I seem to miss out on a lot of things.)[/size][/color]

- Mimmi[/color][/QUOTE]

[spoiler]The apparent death of Zidane and the others brought them before Necron, a mechanism of the Iifa Tree, which had its own personality and held a desire to undo all of existence. From Kuja's actions, it had judged that all life desired destruction and would thus grant such a wish.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Having lost his Trance powers and pride to Zidane, Kuja finally realised that the purpose of life is to help rather than destroy. With the last of his powers, he helped Zidane's party escape from Memoria as it exploded after Necron's demise. He did so by teleporting them out of danger as the Iifa Tree began to collapse. Despite this, Zidane refused to leave his "brother" alone to die, and so went back inside to find Kuja.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Zidane, even after everything Kuja had done, sat with his ?brother? and comforted him. The world had dealt him a cruel hand of fate, but Zidane saw this. He knew that no matter how ruthless Kuja was or cruel, it was not his fault. But despite Zidane's understanding, Kuja himself still could not grasp the concept of compassion.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]As Kuja?s life slowly came to an end, he spent his last few moments expressing regret to Zidane for not realising the true purpose of life sooner. He then died.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Even while he had laid within the Iifa Tree defeated, broken and crestfallen, Kuja still believed he was worthless. It is tragic to believe even after so much anguish and strife, Kuja could not view himself as anything of worth. However the ultimate irony of Kuja?s fate is that even though he believed his death would mark his utter end and defeat, in actuality it preserved him within the memories of all. His suffering and will to defy fate, life, and the world would never be forgotten by the people of Gaia.[/spoiler]

[color=#4B0082]I added spoiler tags, since that gives away pretty much the entire ending. - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]