OtakuBoards

Rate the Latest Movie You've Seen

Blista

Just give a little review and rating for the most recent movie you've seen :)

[b]The Core[/b]
Rented it on NDemand, and I must say, it was much better then I had at first thought. The soundtrack could have been a tad better, and if the ending hadn't been so predictable, it would have been better as well. Overall: 8/10.

I actually spent time last night to watch a trilogy I had always wanted to see. The films are not recent as they were made in the 1950s, but they're still entertaining and engaging, and all-around wonderful to watch.

[b]Musashi Miyamoto: The Samurai Trilogy[/b]
[b]Directed by:[/b] Hiroshi Inagaki
[b]Starring:[/b] Toshiro Mifune (One of the greatest actors ever, IMHO)

The trilogy, which is also known as the "Gone with the Wind" of Japan, follows a hot-headed young man, Takezo, who journeys far and wide to gain fame as an excellent samurai. Toshiro Mifune's portrayal of Takezo is excellent, and although Takezo is reminscent of Mifune's other characters in [i]Rashomon[/i] and [i]Seven Samurai[/i], he grows into a multi-dimensional character as the trilogy progresses. The cinematography is exceptional, and the story pulls you in from the very start. Hiroshi Inagaki suceeds in creating period-films the way they're supposed to be made, and the trilogy is a testament to Toshiro Mifune's greatness.

[b]Overall: 9.5/10[/b]

[i][color=lightpink]The latest movie i saw....was [B]Finding Nemo[/B] Yes I know. Strange. But The part I loved the most was "Knick Knack" the little snowman in a snowglobe cartoon in the beginning. I thought that was the funniest thing i have ever seen in my life. Its cute as well. [spoiler]He tries to bloow up the snow globe but he just creates a huge blizzard in it and he is floating around.[/spoiler] [/color][/i]

The most recent movie I saw was "i am sam"... but it was for the third time.

Now, the first time I saw this, I cried. Honestly. I feel stupid saying that, but I did. For awhile I thought it was one of the best movies I had ever seen.

But every time afterwards... this movie just gets cornier and cornier. Now [i]I[/i] feel retarded for watching it.

And what's with all the blue?

What would really be fun is if we just gave the rating and you had to guess what the movie was.

Example --
Me: 4/10.
You: Er ... [i]Gothika[/i]!?
Me: Nooope. Try again.

Just kidding. That would be spamlicious, and I haven't even [i]seen[/i] Gothika.

Anyway ... the last movie I saw was a rerun of [i]Honey, I Shrunk the Kids[/i], oddly enough. Really old movie, but really funny and classic. I loved rewatching it more than I liked watching it the first time -- it was just so cute and early 90's. (Though it was actually in 1989 ... just looked it up.) Definitely a great movie if you're in that cutesy mood.

I saw Master and Commander on Saturday night. Perhaps I'm biased, since I really don't like Russell Crowe all that much, but I didn't think it was half so good as the hype had seemed to indicate it would be.

The movie just seemed to lack.... a point. Very little happened, and the battle scenes were somewhat anticlimactic. Frankly, I believe that it would have fared much better if there had been at least one or two female characters. As it was, the plot had no direction whatsoever.

Meh. Maybe I was just in a bad mood because I didn't get to watch The Matrix Revolutions.

Overall: 5/10

~Dagger~

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Roxanne Leifen [/i]
[B][i][color=lightpink]The latest movie i saw....was [B]Finding Nemo[/B] Yes I know. Strange. But The part I loved the most was "Knick Knack" the little snowman in a snowglobe cartoon in the beginning. I thought that was the funniest thing i have ever seen in my life. Its cute as well. [spoiler]He tries to bloow up the snow globe but he just creates a huge blizzard in it and he is floating around.[/spoiler] [/color][/i] [/B][/QUOTE]

Hah! I watched it 4 times in the last week! So yeah ths is it. Its a really great movie. One of the funnies Disney flicks ever. The dory lady just makes me laugh to death. [spoiler] wow I wish I could speak whale![/spoiler] :laughs: Second only to the Emporers New Groove.

Well, the last movie I watched was [i]Elf[/i] with Will Ferrel. Now, I'm sure that there are quite a few people who thought this movie was the stupidest thing to come out this year, (A certain friend of mine being one of them). But, I didn't walk into the theater with expectations of it winning oscars (which seems to be the problem with most movie-reviewers), plus I have a true appreciation for the style of comedy it was, a style I like to refer to as "stupid-humor".

So, when all was said and done, I was thoroughly impressed. It was one of the best comedy's I had seen for a while, and I see that it has enough potential to maybe one day, be up in my favourite Christmas comedies (sharing that honor with [i]Jingle All the Way[/i] and [i]Ernest Saves Christmas[/i]).

As a final review I would give it an 8.1 (the .1 one makes me look professional, doesn't it.) There were a few things in it that weren't to great, but maybe if I watch it again I won't mind those thing too much and it will raise my rating.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by OlgaTheDwarf [/i]
[B]Well, the last movie I watched was [i]Elf[/i] with Will Ferrel. Now, I'm sure that there are quite a few people who thought this movie was the stupidest thing to come out this year, (A certain friend of mine being one of them). But, I didn't walk into the theater with expectations of it winning oscars (which seems to be the problem with most movie-reviewers), plus I have a true appreciation for the style of comedy it was, a style I like to refer to as "stupid-humor".

So, when all was said and done, I was thoroughly impressed. It was one of the best comedy's I had seen for a while, and I see that it has enough potential to maybe one day, be up in my favourite Christmas comedies (sharing that honor with [i]Jingle All the Way[/i] and [i]Ernest Saves Christmas[/i]).

As a final review I would give it an 8.1 (the .1 one makes me look professional, doesn't it.) There were a few things in it that weren't to great, but maybe if I watch it again I won't mind those thing too much and it will raise my rating. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree with your points on this. It's not the last film I saw, but I don't feel like talking about Kill Bill right now (although I loved it).

It was just a really fun, everyone-orientated movie. It was honestly funny, few of the jokes failed... And I really loved the little stop motion animated characters they put in.

I'd honestly see it again.

[color=midnightblue]Heh, the other night I convinced my family to watch the Christmas comedy classic, A Christmas Story. Several years ago, when I first noticed that TNN showed 48-hour marathons of this specific movie during the month of December, I really didn't appreciate it that much. I thought there were some funny instances, but I was more occupied with Pokemon Gold Version to care (Oh, the shame..). Yet last year I finally put Golden Sun down long enough to watch the movie and take it all in, and I finally came to appreciate this great movie.

One of those late forties/early fifties reminiscent movies, A Christmas Story tells the "heartwarming" tale of a young boy named Ralphie who is on a quest to receive a Red Ryder BB Gun for Christmas, despite the constant onslaught of "You'll shoot your eye out"'s coming from everyone around him. Everyone says you appreciate it more if you lived in a time like that, such as my parents, but I'm pretty sure anybody over the age of ten is able to get a lot of the jokes.

I really don't see anything wrong with the movie, though it isn't quite the funniest film I've ever seen..

I give it an 8/10.[/color]

Eh, I really didn't enjoy [i]Elf[/i] as much as I thought I would. It would have been the cat's meow if I was ten years old, but as it stands now, it was a little too sickening sweet for my tastes. Don't get me wrong, it did exactly what it was supposed to do and I found a good portion of the movie enjoyable. It's just that [spoiler]I was hoping they wouldn't blatantly show Santa. I expected the movie to be about a grown man in an elf costume whom the audience thinks is crazy until they show a brief scene with Santa towards the end. That would have been nice instead of validating the sanity and purpose of Ferrel's character from the outset.

Plus, the character of his father found its transition too quickly. I expected a gradual change in behavior. Instead the shift was very abrupt. It ruined whatever sentimental value could have existed between the characters.

The fact that Santa said that no one was supposed to outright see him and they did anyway to no consequence also bothered me.[/spoiler]

I know everyone might think I'm taking this too seriously but that's just how I felt walking out of this thing.

Keeping with the comedy theme, I saw Scary Movie 3 recently, and I loved it. I know that many people have been wondering about it(although I loved the first two, many people didn't like them, especially number two), but this one's different from the last two. Not as much gross humor, for one thing(although there is still some). I loved the part where they were trying to revive a dead woman. That kid, Cody, was good, too(he walks up to random people and tells them their future).

Just hillarious. If you're looking for a good laugh, see Scary Movie 3.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Charles [/i]
[B]Cookied biznitch and the rest.[/B][/QUOTE]

It's a Christmas movie aimed at families. I don't know what you expected, but them acting as if he was simply insane instead of actually legit wouldn't have fit the theme whatsoever.

[spoiler]Plus what is Santa supposed to do? Shoot anyone that sees him? How about never giving presents to the people who actually helped him get out of there (which would be everyone in the scene practically)? lol

I think the point is that believing isn't seeing, when you believe you just do. You shouldn't [i]have[/i] to see Santa Claus, but I can't see why there should be big repercussions if you do.[/spoiler]

In any case, I think you might enjoy [i]Olive: The Other Raindeer[/i]. Trust me, it's not as childish as it looks.

The most recent movie I watched was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I would rate it 9/10. They couldn't have chosen a better team than Harrison Ford and Sean Connery for that movie. I've always loved the Indiana Jones trilogies, although The Temple of Doom is weaker of the three.

[size=1] [i]Master and Commander[/i] here. I didn't like it too much. Russel Crowe did a good job, as is expected, but really, the movie was rather characterless, and plotless.

The basis of what happened in the movie goes something like this: Guys on ship SS Surprise. Guys on ship SS Surprise are trying to catch ship called Archaeon. Guys on ship eventually meet up with Archaeon. Guys on ship do nothing. [spoiler] Okay, so they do capture the ship...but who cares?[/spoiler]

Not to mention it moved [i]so[/i] damn slow. Seriously. I think a snail can make a plot and trail forty times better than this movie was moving.

Add to this I cared less for the characters. Add to this it got really absurd at one point, it was to the point where [spoiler]2 characters were being killed off--and only one died[/spoiler], and I laughed because of this. I found it funny how abrupt and stupid the plot shifts were.

It was also the most predictable piece of movie. You knew they'd eventually find the Archaeon. So why the hell watch slow-paced nothing just for that? Don't ask me either. Because I know I wouldn't.

Some of the scenes were okay, but the entire beef of the movie really didn't make up for this. [spoiler] When the people on the Surprise [i]finally[/i] invade the Archaeon about 2 hours into the movie, then a bloody fight happens. Probably the best part of the whole thing, and still, it was pretty boring. The rest of the movie had bored me to tears as it was.[/spoiler]

I don't know Perhaps I just don't like movies like this. It doesn't make you think. At all. Its characters reminded me of a tire--all black and rubbery, and mostly horridly acted. The plot twists reminded me of a too-early orgasm--it spasmed all over, and didn't taste as good as a long one that was captivating its whole time.

Rating: 3.5/10.[/size]

[COLOR=royalblue]The movie I saw recently was BrotherBear. I know that it is a kid?s movie and that is who I saw it with my son, nieces(3), and nephews(3) (seven kids in all). I enjoyed it as much as they did. It really got to me when we [spoiler] found out that they were the ones that had killed off Koda?s mom. In addition, when he chooses to stay with Koda as a bear [/spoiler] I just had to cry a little it was so sweet. Oh and the moose?s were so funny they added the touch of comedy so the story. [Spoiler] ?I spy something green.? [/spoiler] Oh my god was that just the [Spoiler] best game of I spy [/spoiler] or what I laugh so hard!!!! It is a great movie and it was well drawn. It may be for kids, but it has a good lesson behind it that everything and everyone can learn to get along because everything is part of a greater hole.
THE FIZZ[/COLOR]:wigout:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mitch [/i]
[B][size=1] [i]Master and Commander[/i] here. I didn't like it too much. Russel Crowe did a good job, as is expected, but really, the movie was rather characterless, and plotless.

The basis of what happened in the movie goes something like this: Guys on ship SS Surprise. Guys on ship SS Surprise are trying to catch ship called Archaeon. Guys on ship eventually meet up with Archaeon. Guys on ship do nothing. [spoiler] Okay, so they do capture the ship...but who cares?[/spoiler]

Not to mention it moved [i]so[/i] damn slow. Seriously. I think a snail can make a plot and trail forty times better than this movie was moving.

Add to this I cared less for the characters. Add to this it got really absurd at one point, it was to the point where [spoiler]2 characters were being killed off--and only one died[/spoiler], and I laughed because of this. I found it funny how abrupt and stupid the plot shifts were.

It was also the most predictable piece of movie. You knew they'd eventually find the Archaeon. So why the hell watch slow-paced nothing just for that? Don't ask me either. Because I know I wouldn't.

Some of the scenes were okay, but the entire beef of the movie really didn't make up for this. [spoiler] When the people on the Surprise [i]finally[/i] invade the Archaeon about 2 hours into the movie, then a bloody fight happens. Probably the best part of the whole thing, and still, it was pretty boring. The rest of the movie had bored me to tears as it was.[/spoiler]

I don't know Perhaps I just don't like movies like this. It doesn't make you think. At all. Its characters reminded me of a tire--all black and rubbery, and mostly horridly acted. The plot twists reminded me of a too-early ######--it spasmed all over, and didn't taste as good as a long one that was captivating its whole time.

Rating: 3.5/10.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

I completely agree. During the first [spoiler]major death scene, I couldn't even tell who was dying.[/spoiler] Of course, I managed to figure it out eventually, but the director ended up devoting a great deal of drama to a character who, in the great scheme of things, really wasn't all that important.

Actually, Master and Commander's main problem was that it lacked any kind of great scheme. The plot just sort of sat there. Even its fights failed to impress me--I'm tired of watching movies that use jerky camera motion and quick cuts to create a false sense of excitement.

~Dagger~

sadly the most recent movie i watched was a christmas special. (pre-emptive christmas attack) bill and opus the cat christmas special. one of those ones i have seen over and over and gradually understand more stuff. snide remarks are slipped past kids, its a good movie, keeps the adults entertained too. id give it a 8/10 for what it is hehe. but i may be partial. be interesting to see if anyone else even knows this movie....^-^

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B][spoiler]Plus what is Santa supposed to do? Shoot anyone that sees him? How about never giving presents to the people who actually helped him get out of there (which would be everyone in the scene practically)? lol

I think the point is that believing isn't seeing, when you believe you just do. You shouldn't [i]have[/i] to see Santa Claus, but I can't see why there should be big repercussions if you do.[/spoiler]

In any case, I think you might enjoy [i]Olive: The Other Raindeer[/i]. Trust me, it's not as childish as it looks. [/B][/QUOTE]

[spoiler]Well, I mean, he made a big deal about the news reporters and crowd not seeing him for the very reason you just said. But, I think the general purpose of that is defeated when Santa's book is paraded in front of everyone and then Santa himself narrowly skims over the crowd in front of television cameras only minutes later. Plus, how inconspicuous is a thunderous rocket-powered sleigh that lights up the sky? And, you could literally hear the old coot screaming from down below even before he crashed in the park. Gee, that won't draw any attention. lol

I know I'm probably reading too much into it, but the ending of the film was just very shoddy. I can't necessarily blame it because it's based on a book. It was just lame, nevertheless. Especially with the scene of that little girl singing in her room interspersed throughout the end. Very creepy stuff.[/spoiler]

Hopefully [i]Bad Santa[/i] will be better. At least we agree about [i]Kill Bill[/i] though.

The last movie I saw was Malibu's Most Wanted. It was funny as hell. I mean just some of the looks the he has and his action were dumb. And Anthony Anderson was playin a fake gamgsta when him and his partener were really proper. This has to be one of the funniest movies of the year

I reccomend anyone to see Malibu's Most wanted
I give it a 8.5/10

Oh man I want to see Malibu's Most Wanted so much.

The latest movie I have seen was [b]Scary Movie 3.[/b] Yes, a lot of people think this movie is stupid, but I thought it was completely funny with the stupidest things they do. I would rate it an 8/10 for some parts that I didn't like. Some parts were just completely stupid, not funny.
Second would have to be Jackass. I don't want to get into that...

• 1 month later...
I watched Welcome to the jungle and since i live in australia i saw it at the movies. I thought this was a great movie, Sean william scott and the rock are both great actors in it. U can definitley see the rock becoming a hit in the movie industry and plus it was hell funny. especially the monkey scene lol......ahh