OtakuBoards

Celtic Music

Artemis

Who else here loves Celtic Music? I'm a pretty big fan of The Chieftains (a traditional Irish band). I've convinced myself that I must have some Irish blood in me b/c I look best w/ red hair and I love just about anything Celtic (music, art, mythology...) Maybe it has something to do w/ being raised in St. Patrick's Parish, but I'm convinced that if I go anywhere in the world I wanted to, I would go to Ireland in a heart beat... :love2: :love: :love2:
So, if you like Celtic music, who's your fave artist and why.
I also like Enya and Loreena McKennit (both have an Irish feel in a few of their songs) and the vocals of John McDermott. And James Galways does an awesome job at the flute and Celitc/Irish pipes.
There's something incredibly moving about Celtic music. It can make me want to jump up and dance a jig or it can depress me and make me yearn for Emerald Isle I've never even been to. It's some of the most emotional music I've ever heard. I've noticed definite Irish flavors in the LOTR music (particularly for Rohan).

I like the music of Loreena McKennit, I love those haunting melodies and bardic tales that she spins in her songs. I really like Celtic pipes, even if they aren't songs I love the music. I have more of an excuse to like the music since I live about 1 hour away from the scottish border. I love the highlands, though I've never visited Ireland...I'd like to though.

You're meant to feel medival tones in the Rohan music since the music is meant to reflect the people and the land of the Rohirrim is based around Nordic themes and music.

Guest Skyechild91
Lets see... Enya... Rita Conelley, too. Thats all I can think of off the top f my head, but Celtic Music rox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! w00tw00t!

*shakes head* Thank you for those ever so intelligent thoughts, Tony. lol
I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about, but okay.
Yeah... I know Rohan's supposed to feel Medieval (big LOTR fan here). I was just mentioning it. It made me really happy to hear it in the movie. *giggles*

The one time I listened to Celtic music I was in a car with "Party" written on the side. I was going through the mall parking lot (with some friends in the car) screaming "Party" at everyone.

Some people screamed back, others smiled, and some people just flipped us off. Eventually we went into town and did the same thing. We even got a bus driver to start head banging.

Good times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I like Celtic music because it just seems to calm me. At work they have one of those selection CD things and some one is always coming along and pressing the Celtic CD. It makes me want to fall asleep, and helps relax me when i've having a very trying day. But then some kid goes and pushes the Scottish button and the bag pipes go off and it ruins the mood! I wish we had music at our store, if it was celtic music, i'm sure everyone would be a lot more happier!!! :)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Marik_Duelist [/i]
[B][COLOR=red]Enya sang for LOTR, maybe thats why it sounds Celtic. And, Artimis, I'm Irish and I can't stand Celtic music of any sort (I'm more Rock/Metal). You don't need Irish or Celtic blood to like or hate it. Just my two cents! LOL![/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

um...Yeah...I know that I don't have to have Irish blood to like Irish music. I just thought it might be fun to be able to say, "Kiss Me! I'm Irish!" Stuff like that. Celtic lore often has to do with particular bloodlines. (note: Numenorian blood is very important in Tolkien's novels, just as an example.)
It's too bad that you don't like Celtic music, Mark, it can be extremely calming and uplifting, but I can understand the rock/metal thing (I like it, too. Pretty much everything but rap, r&b, and a lot of country...ok so, any type of rock or new age music...odd combo...)
~art~

There's tons of celtic music I love, but in the end, most of the celtic music I listen too is not really celt music at all.

If you look into something called bluegrass, there are several different kinds, and if you look at what david grismon and jerry garcia did, or what delmccoury did, you will see where all of their inspiration comes from... the celtic music of the world.

Great stuff indeed... always using mandolines, fiddles and acoustic guitars... there's not much out there that is as good as this stuff is.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Artemis [/i]
[B]"Kiss Me! I'm Irish!"[/B][/QUOTE]

[font=tahoma][color=#707875]Ohh God I hate that line, or when someone says [b]"Top of the morning to you !!"[/b]. As an Irish person I find that phrase incredibly insulting and annoying as well as people asking you where they can find a Leprechaun or other fairy type creatures.

I love a bit of good Celtic Music and some of my favourite songs such as [b]"The Fields of Athenry"[/b] and [b]"Whisky in the Jar"[/b] as well as a lot of the Music by [b]The Poogs[/b], [b]Tin Lizzy[/b] and several others. All good Celtic/Irish Music will eaither relax you or make you rowdy as hell depending on the situation but it's all good fun.[/color][/font]

[FONT=century gothic][COLOR=darkblue] When I moved England a few years back, I visited Ireland for a week with my family. What a beautiful country. Anyways, I love Celtic music very much. I really like the bag pipes and the other instruments as well. It is a very calming music that helps me when I am stressed or when I am trying to study. I don't really have a favorite band, but I do have a favorite song. It is called "Riverdance." Visiting Ireland not only kindled my liking for Celtic music, but also riverdancing. I too enjoy the art, oh and the history of the druids. Anyways, celtic music is very awesome indeed. It is one of the genres of music that I never get tired of listening to. [/COLOR][/FONT]