OtakuBoards

RISK, and other awesome board games!

Artemis

Does anyone else here play "Risk"? It's an awesome board game of strategy and chance... world domination... war... All kinds of good stuff... :D (whatever...) Anyway, it's really fun, but it takes an incredibly long time to play, even when you play the shortened version it can take 3 or 4 hours. I've never tried the long version. There's also a computer game for it, but I grew playin' it old school, so the computer version makes no sense to me. (They throw in a bunch of extra features and complicated rules...)
So...Does anyone else like this game? ...*crickets chirp*... Riiiiight...
Any other board games that ppl like?
~art~

[COLOR=green]I play risk and Monopoly (Star Wars Edition) whenever and wherever I can, mostly with friends.

Monopoly is, in my opinion, more chance than a game like Risk, but fun just the same.

Risk is my favorite board game, but it is very long and time consuming. I find it's best played with five people.

Just my thoughts...[/COLOR]

[color=indigo]I have always been a huge fan of board games. I guess that my favorite board game is Monopoly, not just because of fond childhood memories, but because I rule at the game. I guess I just take sadistic pleasure by forcing friends and family into the dire droves of bankruptcy.

When I worked for Abercrombie and Fitch tow or three years ago, another manager and I got to talking about how cool the game of life was. So I went and bought it during my lunch break, and all of the employees played it for like three hours. Obviously we were not all that dedicated.

Trivial Pursuit is also a really fun game. My old roommates and I played drinking trivial pursuit on rainy weekends. It is funny how difficult it is trying to remember who invented the cotton gin when you are three sheets to the wind.[/color]

boy i havnt played board games in years
i used to play hours at them with friends but we kinda grew out of it

i used to play Clue, very cool
i also had other 2 who arent in that list: Talisman(a kind of a D&D board game, very fun) and Return of the Dinasours, which is basicaly just a startegy war game but it was very fun too

ah memories:rolleyes:

I've not been allowed to approach a risk board within 15 feet as per restraining order.

You see, I play the "diplomatic" style of risk where I would convince all of my friends to feindishly distrust and betray eachother. Then, I would mop up what remains after the battle. Risk is a glorious game, indeed.

[color=hotpink][size=1]My favorite board game hands down is Monopoly. My family goes through bouts where we'll play everyday and then we wont play again for months. And it's no fun to play unless you have a LOT of people playing. The more the merrier. ^_^ And I just got the University of Georgia version, Dawgopoly, so we've been playing quite a bit lately. ^_^

I also am entranced by Pictionary and Taboo. Those are very fun games that I used to play when I went over to my Aunt Kim and Uncle Ace's house. I miss those fun times, but I will never forget how much fun I had.

Monopoly wins! I think we should have an OB Monopoly tournament. I'm the banker! ^_^[/color][/size]

The problem with the better, more involved board games is that no one ever wants to play them. It was a chore and a half to ever get anyone in my family to play Monopoly with me. If we did, it was with simplified rules too. No one worried about mortgages and stuff, we just played for the cash. In retrospect, it probably made it more fun at that age.

Same deal with Risk, although obviously not as complex. It's just time consuming. I've played some really great games of that.

Sorry, Mouse Trap, Operation, Picture Picture and Scrabble are all fun too.

I always likes Axis and allies better than risk, but theyre basically the same game. Axis just takes even longer to play out. Each territory had a specific number of infantry, tanks, planes, etc. and it took about an hour to set up. Everybody wanted to be the US, too because you were pretty safe from invasion as the USA.

The best thing I figured out to do is be Germany and attack Russia on the first turn of the game. You could usually wipe out one of their most heavily armed territories before they reinforced it, and you'd be one place away from Moscow. It usually went back and forth from there, but you had to attack before they fortified even more.

The UK was the hardest to use because you have only an island and a few scattered troops in africa. You were basically screwed unless the guy being the USA would send troops over to Africa to help.

[color=chocolate][size=1]I have never played risk before. *feels ashamed* Looks like I should...
Anyway, my favorite board game would be Clue. I like the mystery and all, and I like playing this board game with closest friends.
Second would of course be Monopoly, I don't like the computer versions (stupid thing put a virus on my computer!!!).[/color][/size]

[color=violet]I've never played Risk. I almost played it once, but my friend's husband got preoccupied with his computer so he and my husband ended up playing some online RPG.
One of my favorite boardgames is Tri-Bond where you try to figure out what three things have in common>
For example:
[b]InuYasha
Ferio
Wufei[/b]
Now obviously, they're all anime guys, but one is Hanyou, another has green hair and the last one talks about injustice.
But all three have swords, so that's what they have in common.
I'm good in this and kick [b][i][u]EVERYONE'S BUTT![/u][/i][/b]
I'm also a Candy Land pro![/color]

[size=1]I remember playing [b]Risk[/b] one New Year's Eve with my family. Six solid hours of world domination, and we didn't finish until after waking up the next day. It's...a very long game.

I always played for Russia, heh.

[b]Monopoly[/b]...I think I was Monopolied-out at a young age. We had the original, and later got Monopoly, Junior. It takes an incredible amount of persuasion/bribery to get me to sit down and play this game any more. Although I have had some fun time with it, heh.

I liked [b]Candyland[/b] as a kid, but [b]Chutes and Ladders[/b] was very frustrating for me. Except for that time I won, that was cool.

I never really got into [b]Life[/b]. Something about it bugged me the first time I played, and I honestly don't know if I've tried it since then. [b]Clue[/b] was fun, though...I never even knew there was a board game until after I had gone through every one of those books. Heh...bad jokes, ergh.

My favorite game is probably [b]HuggerMugger[/b]. If you know what it is, you get a smiley sticker. Heh.[/size]

[size=1]Clue will always be my favorite. Like Sara, I read the books, but that was after I first played the game. ^_~ Those puns had me in stitches. Granted, I laugh at a lot of stupid jokes, but those were some good times. And let's not forget the movie Clue. Pure hilarity, that's what I say.

In high school I played this game Guestures (sp?) all the time in theatre, instead of actually doing work or something productive. We'd go all out, do the guys vs. girls thing, tally points and keep track of them day after day. It was.. uh, something to do.

Otherwise, I have fond memories of Mouse Trap, Hungry Hungry Hippos, that Shark Attack game, The A-MAZE-ing Labyrinth (I [i]think[/i] that's what it was called), and then of course Life, Pictionary, and Monopoloy - we have the Orlando version of that, heh.[/size]

I like Don't Wake Daddy and Mouse Trap for some odd reason. I know they are kiddy but I just can't get enough of them. They are so simple and fun and don't really seem to teacher you anything. I hate games where you have to think just for fun. The only games I like that are strategy are Chess and Checkers and every gambling card game.

yeah ive played risk i like 2031 ad risk but i also like civ the boardgame thats a cool one too

[COLOR=indigo]I'm sorry about your contition. I just hope that you could work past your disability to type more quality posts. Once again, my heart does go out to the mentally challenged. ~Drix.[/COLOR]

[color=violet]*thinks drix needs a nap*[/color]

[quote][b][i]originally posted by Hells Fire[/i]The only games that I like for stratedy are Chess and checkers and every gambling card game[/b][/quote]
[color=violet]I'm pretty good at Checkers. I beat everyone in that *gloats* as for Chess, Lincoln keeps saying he'll teach me but something always comes up, like FTX, or CQ or Iraq ::P:. I don't know if I could figure that out.
Gambling card games, well, stay out of Vegas, that's all I have to say.
Does anyone know any good drinking games?(those of us who are old enough to drink that is)
My friends and I turned slap Jack into a drinking game and I kept losing so bad that well...it wasn't pretty.
Oh, you know what else is a good game? MadGab. I don't quite know how to explain that one tho.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ChibiHorsewoman [/i]
[B][color=violet]*thinks drix needs a nap*[/color]

[color=violet]I'm pretty good at Checkers. I beat everyone in that *gloats* as for Chess, Lincoln keeps saying he'll teach me but something always comes up, like FTX, or CQ or Iraq ::P:. I don't know if I could figure that out.
Gambling card games, well, stay out of Vegas, that's all I have to say.
Does anyone know any good drinking games?(those of us who are old enough to drink that is)
My friends and I turned slap Jack into a drinking game and I kept losing so bad that well...it wasn't pretty.
Oh, you know what else is a good game? MadGab. I don't quite know how to explain that one tho.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

We play "Beer Pong" at my college. Basically each team of one or two has about 8 or so cups of beer (plastic cups, less breakage) arranged in a bowling-pin style. One team tries to throw his pingpong ball into another team's cup. Depending on the rules, the person must then drink the beer or the ponger does.. it depends. Basically, the more you lose, the more you drink, the more you're schnogged, and the more you drink. It's a cycle until one team empties their cups and loses by default, or passes out.

Ahhh yes, and if you dislike my moderating procedures, I would encourage you to bring it up through PM. Your opinion is superflous and inappropriate in that situation. No need to play mod, Chibi.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Drix D'Zanth [/i]
[B]We play "Beer Pong" at my college. Basically each team of one or two has about 8 or so cups of beer (plastic cups, less breakage) arranged in a bowling-pin style. One team tries to throw his pingpong ball into another team's cup. Depending on the rules, the person must then drink the beer or the ponger does.. it depends. Basically, the more you lose, the more you drink, the more you're schnogged, and the more you drink. It's a cycle until one team empties their cups and loses by default, or passes out.[/B][/QUOTE]

:D

Beer Pong is great, whether or not you're participating or just observing. It's insanely fun watching four totally drunken college persons swaying as they attempt to concentrate on getting a little, tiny pingpong ball into a cup set-up on the other end of a pool table. Good times. I should post some pics...

The greatest boardgame ever made is Fireball Island, from Milton Bradley or Parker Bros, I believe. The premise is simple: get the gem and get to the boat.

The execution is pure lunacy, as getting a 1 on a roll means you have to send a Fireball (marble) down one of the many winding paths, often smashing into your little figurine adventurer avatars that have no way of escape. To further complicate things, you have cards.

The cards are shuffled randomly (or sometimes not, depending on the treachery of the shuffler), then distributed to the players, 5 each. Doesn't sound too bad, yes, but the magic happens when the cards are being played.

While the customary "Double The Next Roll" to "Move Ahead 5 Spaces" cards are present, there are also evil ones, namely "Fireball," "Magic Talisman," "Fake Jewel," and "Cancel Last Card."

The Fireball card is obvious; a player can automatically launch any fireball he chooses.

The Magic Talisman can prevent the Fireball from a rolled 1; no other card can prevent it.

The Fake Jewel prevents players from stealing the jewel. One rule of the game is when a player gets passed, the jewel gets stolen. Fake Jewel is a very nice strategic play, especially near the end in the mad rush to get to the boat with the exact roll.

Cancel Last Card is simply that. If someone has just played a Fake Jewel card to screw you out of gaining the lead, slap that Cancel card down and they're screwed. Hah! But, of course, they could slap down their own Cancel card and **** you over, lol. That's happened many, many times in my parties. My friends (yes, the gamer geeks) are devious little bastards. :D

Fireball Island is a bit slow while you're getting the hang of it, but oh, dude...once the players realize what they can do...sheer madness. Plus, you're not limited to the figurines that come with the game. We've used Star Wars and James Bond Micro Machines figurines for the past 3 years. OddJob rules.

I'm not sure if anyone could find Fireball Island in a conventional gameshop...you might have to go to a store that specializes in unique boardgames.

I'm actually quite surprised noone has even mentioned Stratego*orignal*, a game of great strategy and luck! My favorite game, next to Go as of now.

I also like the occasional monopoly, battleship, chess and checkers, and playing card games:p

Its hard to go into detail on classical games everyone already knows...

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, i have to agree with Xra, Stratego is a great strategy game, and i used to play it all the time with my brother. Of course, i would always win! :)

My family had a streak of playing board games everynight. Out of the ones listed, i like Monopoly the best. I loved playing against the computer thought, where you could set it so that you already owned all the good property, and just made the computer dish it out. Total time to play game: 5 mins! That's the real condensed version!
My grandpa made us a game called Yahoo! it's very fun. Me and my dad used to play it every night. it was kinda like sorry, only you roll the dice instead of draw a card. (We'll have to play it sometime!) :) Ahh...those good childhood memories.
Also, when i was really little, me, my brother, my dad, and my uncle would have sorry competetions! Those were quite fun. I was always red!!!

I suck at Board Games, unfortunately. I still play Monopoly though, and usually I have a partner because yes, I am that bad. I'm just too lazy to follow through and read all the rules and stuff. I usually end up quitting half way and I write a will and leave my property to some other person that's much better than me.

I like scrabble though, being a human dictionary comes in handy ^_^.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=hotpink][size=1]Monopoly wins! I think we should have an OB Monopoly tournament. I'm the banker! ^_^[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]It's funny how the banker always seems to have the right amount of money. . not saying anything. . just an observation ^_^

I will play Monopoly with the right people. I say this because you have to have some sort of intelligence to understand what's going on. A few times I have played, some of my friends would just buy everything they land on, run out of money, and go bankrupt fast. . it's pretty sad -_- But with my family, most of us get it really easily, and it becomes a game of wits, and a lot of sneaky negotiations. . mwahaha (that's half the fun of the game. . forget winning!)

As for strategy games, I love Risk. The only problem is that most of the people I play with like to try and get one continent, and think they can win the game with just that. I like to spread out, and just keep everyone guessing where I am going. Before I know it, I have Europe (the continent everyone loves to hate ^_^ lol) and am spreading like butter on toast =)

If you find it pretty easy like I do, depending on who I play, I would recommend Axis and Allies. An incredibly long game to set up, but once you get going, it is a sick game. . it is so challenging having to push your forces around, and where to attack, what to spend your money on, where to put reinforcments (ya ya, your tired of listening already). This is a very long game, and is somewhat complicated, so don't play with young kids, and don't play unlless you have plenty of time (or a safe room to play it in where you can come and go when you need to).

I really enjoy the strategy with Clue also. The game actually is more of just a time filler, as I think some clone games have come out where you don't have to roll a dice to move around a mansion. The original is still the best though =)

Life is my guilty pleasure game. It's a childs game, but still pretty fun to play with my friends now (well, the ones that don't mind playing a childs game). There really isn't too much thought involved, so that makes it that much better. It can be played at any pace really, which makes it even better if you just want to play to fill a bit of time.

Trivial Pursuit is a game to play if you really just feel like showing off, lol. I really enjoy the Star Wars edition ^_^ There is a bit of strategy involved. . some people like to go for 'their' catergories first, or the catergories that they know very well. Others strategy is to go for the hard ones, and save the hard ones for last. . it really doesn't matter to me. . I go around in a circle ^_^

Another game I played recently is Cranium. . I haven't really developed a solid opinion, since I have only played it like, four times. . so I will have to get back to this game later =) [/SIZE][/COLOR]