OtakuBoards

Pilot Candidate

Hinata

[COLOR=darkblue] HELLO EVERYONE!!!
A few months ago I happened to run across and anime called Pilot Candidate on CN... I didn't get a chance to watch the whole series and I was wondering if anyone can help me out with it. If you have any info or know of a site where I can get more info...PASS IT ON TO ME!!!! Thank you!!![/COLOR]

I really like Pilot Canidate. I don't think it was THAT much like Eva... I mean, I just don't really think they're alike that much. Maybe it is a copy, but still....they had pretty different environments and feels...

Here's a good Megami Kouhosei (pilot candidate) page.... [url]http://www.satinflame.net/resuko/megami/main.html[/url] Lots of info and pics and all that good stuff.

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
:) I absolutely hated Candidate for a Goddess aka Pilot Candidate the series was too short and the characters were rather annoying and boring in my opinion. I understand where some may comment that it has an Evangelion atmosphere but I wouldn't even put Pilot Candidate in the same league as Eva.

Pilot Candidate... Evangelion... I'm not seeing the connection. I see a group of teens piloting giant robots, but I just described Gundam, Voltron, and about a dozen other series.

Pilot Candidate was ok. It was a little slow-paced, the story didn't go very far, the villains weren't developed at all, there's no back-story to anyone except for the main character, and that didn't go very far either. Other than that, it was a good series.

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
In reality we can't even call Pilot Candidate a true series, in Japan its considered an ova series since its only 13 episodes long. I agree with you on your points Endymion. The show was extremely slow paced the enemies character developement was wretched if your going to have villians make them seem like a true threat to the heros. I think possibly the only good thing about Candidate was their CGI and even in that department shows like Zoids Chaotic Century, Guardian Force, and Zero overshadow Candidates cgi.

[FONT=arial]I can't even begin ranting about how much I hate that show. everything about that show is so boring and generic. I could take every character on that show and tell you where to find an exact replica of it. I don't like the whole CGI thing, but that's probably the thing I have the least problems with for this show. heck, I [i]tried[/i] to like that thing, and I still hate it just as much now as I did then! [/FONT]

[color=fushia][size=1]I used to like this show...now, I think it's crap. It's kinda boring now that I've looked at my tapes 8 times at least. It doesn't have any direct plot, the theme is undignified and the characters have no persona (at least to me, that is...)[/color][/size]

Rick...I don't get you. Pilot Candidate was great, even the dubbed version was awesome. You will probably end up calling me a stupid newbie or something like that but I don't care, Pilot Candidate is a good series. Your right about the Neon Genesis Evangelion comment though, it's not even close to [I]that[/I] good. :)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Kowloon Gundam [/i]
[B]Rick...I don't get you. Pilot Candidate was great, even the dubbed version was awesome...[/B][/QUOTE]
[FONT=arial]:twitch: I NEVER thought I'd hear [i]that[/i]. well, maybe I figured I would sometime, but not from anyone on here. I haven't heard the actual Megami Kouhosei, so I don't know how the Japanese seiyuu sound, but that show has some of the worst dubbing I've ever heard in my life. you wanna know how you can tell? whenever you see a character's mouth moving but there's nobody speaking, that's usually a dead giveaway. DragonballZ doesn't even do that, for crying out loud. now please excuse me whilst I stick my head in a bucket of ice water to keep my head from popping off.[/FONT]

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
To inform you all the Japanese version called Candidate for a Goddess is equally lacking in character, plot and enemy developement in fact it even is a bit more boring then the dubbed version.

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]Don't doubt Rick and his knowledge of anime. . lol.

As for Pilot Candidate - they had their moments, but it took so long to do anything in the show. . half of the time, I didn't understand anything that was going on. It seemed to have a lot of holes in the whole story. The voices were also very annoying. I would have liked to have seen all episodes, but I never saw an ending - if there WAS one, and I know I missed one or two in there. Oh well *shrug* no loss if I never see another episode ^_^[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by NorykoAngelcry [/i]
[B][COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]Don't doubt Rick and his knowledge of anime. . lol.
[/SIZE][/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

:devil: :devil: :devil: Hehehe, Yep don't doubt Undefeated of the East when it comes to dub versions compared to their Japanese counterparts. ^_^ As for Pilot Candidate having its good points I will agree with you on that Norkyo, everytime I saw the ending credits I jumped for joy that, that horrible anime was over. :p ;)

I feel so deflated reading this thread.... I guess there are very few people who liked the series. I'm almost all by myself on this one! *cries* I'm not sure why it appealed to me, but I really REALLY like this show, except the way it ended. That just sucked....you couldn't even call it an ending. But other than that I really enjoyed the show...er....ova. ^-^;;

Only one word. Crap.
It was the most hopeless thing i've seen so far.
The so called "villians" seemed like something
even a 2yr old could fight off. The charecters
werent even that well built into the story, they
kidn of just started being there. The ending was
just about as strong as the amount of upper body
strenght i have which for all of you is zero.They
left 6 million things hanging and unlike Eva which
unfolded with it's secrets this show just dropped
everything and moved on like nothing happened. The
voices were tolerable but i think a Moose could
have done better. Thanks but no thanks.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Juuthena [/i]
[B][color=deeppink] [size=1]I'm kinda upset they took it off Adult Swim...
It wasn't [i]that[/i] good, but it was pretty entertaining for a while. I definately like Inu-Yasha more though. ^^[/color] [/size] [/B][/QUOTE] [COLOR=deeppink]
I'm so happy that you all responded...thanks for the Harsh...yet true reality of the show.. I was actually hoping for some better comments..but I think that's what I get for not seeing the show for myself.) But besides that I'll probably just stick to Inu-Yasha along with Juuthena...( You're my girl now...) ( TO: Juuthena: what did you think about the latest episode....)[/COLOR]

[color=red] This was one of the [i]blandest[/i], [i]stupidest[/i], most boring series I've ever laid my eyes on. I could barely stand to watch it, it was like torture....yeh. It had way way way way way way way (enough way's for ya) to much dry talking...and it just seemed really really stupid to me. It's like a clone of EVA gone super de duper bad.[/color]

• 1 year later...
I have not seen a thread for this anime yet, so hopefully I am not posting outside of it or repeating anything that has been previously said. Anyway...

This was one of the first animes I watched that I really fell in love with. I have heard alot of people say its a "rip-off" of every other mech anime, or that the art is terrible. I disagree, I think it is a very original idea in many aspects as well as having good art. I was really dissapointed when I heard that it was going to stop after the first season. So...on to the discussion.

What did you guys think of this anime overall and what influenced that decision?
Any favorite characters? And why?

I would have to say for my favorite character it would have to be Teela. I thought that her seemingly painful past, character design, and EX reaction were really well executed in the story. But thats not to say I did not like other characters. One of my favorite parts of this anime is taht every characters personality is so strong that everyone can relate to somebody.

Also I was wondering if anyone knew if the manga had been released in the U.S? If not if you know when it is supposedly going to be released.

i remember i watched a few episodes a couple years ago back when it aired on cartoon network (at least i think it was cartoon network) and i loved it. but they only showed about 7 or 8 episodes and never continued the series and i was really bummed out. and now that you've brought it up i kinda want to finish the series, is it really true it was dropped after the first season?

Guest Milamber
Oh, it was long time ago I saw this show. One of the first I saw and really like it a lot.

As I remeber it they caught up with the manga after the first season. They made an OVA a few years later, maybe to awake interest in the series again, but it has seemed that a second season is far fetched anyway ... sadly.

I would really love to see a second season (I guess I would have to watch the first season again, because I don't remeber much).

Yeah the first season only totalled 12 episodes and they made the crappy OAV, which didnt say anything. I think they made it as a quick wrap up to the series, which is really dissapointing to me.

I doubtt here will ever be a second season, but from what I hear the manga is very popular, and I heard it was coming here, so I really want to read it.

And it is true it dropped after the first season, at the time of its release on Japanese Television its timeslot had it going against some of the "better" japanese animes, so it was pretty overlooked in Japan. I guess it was funding problems that caused the shows downfall. Which is a shame because it could of expanded into a really great and intricatley done anime.