OtakuBoards

Best/Worst Concerts You Have Attended.

Panda

What was the very best and the worst concerts you have attended? What made them stand out and do you think that concert prices for those ticket were too high or just right?

For me the very best concert I have gone to was They Might Be Giants. What makes this one better than the others I have gone too is the concert was held in a smaller venue so you got to be closer to the band. The price was resonable and they put on a great show. My friends and I were close enough that we got guitar picks from the band! I would definately go see them again!

The worst concert is a tie. New Kids on the Block or Michael Bolton, both back in the 80's. What made the NKOTB concert bad was it was in a huge venue so you couldn't even see the band very well. The ticket price I am not sure of since my friend got me my ticket. This was when they were really popular so we almost got crushed in the stampede to get into the building. The show itself was awful. Sound was feeding back, the language they used to talk to their fans was not age appropriate and it was really hot! I am embarrased to say I saw them in concert! LOL

The other bad one was Michael Bolton. Yet another concert where my friend, in fact, the same friend who got me the New Kids ticket, purchased them. Again, we were so far away you couldn't see anything. It was an outdoor venue in August and over 100 degrees outside. Drinks were really expensive and you couldn't bring in anything from home, you had to buy their concessions. A day out in the heat followed by mellow adult contemporary music. zzzzz

Both tickets I feel were overpriced. I know, I didn't pay for them, but they were still too expensive. My time is more valuable than those concerts were!

So, what were the best and worst concerts you have gone too?

probably the best concert i've been to is a tie between Radiohead and Flogging Molly. another good concert was The Blue Man Group, they always know how to put on a good show and their concert was where i first heard Venus Hum (as they were one of the opening bands).

The worst concert i've ever been to would have to be CKY, i dont even care about the band but i went with a friend and the show was flooded with 12 and 13 year old boys trying to act tough. i felt really out of place.

[size=1]Sister Hazel is the best concert I've been to. Though they're pretty well known now, they started out in Orlando so they play a lot of home shows and I've seen them a couple times now. You can pretty much always expect a good show from them - they're very laid back and relaxed on stage. They play like they're playing with friends. One of the guys always plays barefoot, no matter where they are.

They came to Tallahassee at the beginning of last semester, and I went to see them with my parents. It was a small venue, so it was a really great, personal show. The sound was good, not great, but they had rugs everywhere on stage and the lighting was fun, and they always have so much energy. Always laughing and grinning and joking with the audience. And they played all my favorite songs, with a lot of awesome guitar work, something I adore.

One of the best parts about it, though, was that everybody knew all the words to the songs, and we were all just singing along and dancing. No pushing, no mosh pits, no drunken idiots trying to get on stage. Not that I don't enjoy the occasional mosh pit... but usually, I go to the concert to see the band and hear the music. Not to get my skull bashed in.

Anyway, it was a freaking great time. Definitely the best concert I've been to, and the longest one, at that. Apparently they filmed it for a future DVD, so I've got to keep my eye out now. That would be a [i]must buy[/i], indeed.[/size]

The best concert of my life was Apocalypse Hoboken at the Metro in Chicago.

They broke up a few years ago... but came out of retirement to play one last reunion/benefit show. The Bollweevils and Traitors also reunited to play sets as well. The Traitors have disbanded a few times though, so eh lol.

I didn't stay for the Bollweevils. The Traitors had their own little fanbase that knew all the songs. The crowd for AH was way bigger than The Traitors crowd though, I can say that much. I've read since then that the show topped at 1,100 people... which isn't bad for a local punk band playing a rather small venue.

In any case, it was just an amazing experience. I never thought they'd get back together. It was great screaming the songs along with other people who actually knew all the words. It's quite a big deal, considering I don't have any personal friends that care for AH. I came out soaked in other people's sweat and had some beer in my eye (the singer spit a whole bunch of it out over the crowd lol)... but it was just amazing.

Plus I came away with an awesome poster and a really cool Traitors shirt (It says bring me the head of Matt Skiba on it -- which is their upcoming 7" that I preordered -- Skiba is in Alkaline Trio, but was originally part of The Traitors).

There are only a few shows that have the possibility of topping that... Pixies, Bowie, Manson or NIN. I always seem to miss Manson and NIN and Bowie is ultra-expensive... so it will probably be the Pixies.

Anyway, I don't have a worst. It probably would have been that Creed show my dad had free tickets to, if I bothered to go.

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial Narrow]The best concert I ever went to was The Darkness at Big Day Out Gold Coast. Personally I despise The Darkness, but their live act is ******* brilliant. Think... spandex jump suits. I wasn't actually planning to see them on the day but went anyway and I loved myself for it. After that Holster. Heheh, they were the headline act but the act before them scared everyone off so it was like... fifteen people just chilling out.

Worst act? Err... Dandy Worhols at the same concert. They didn't live up to the expectations I had in store for them and I ended up leaving to see 1200 Techniques (awesome). [/FONT] [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

I'd have to go with The Liars. I saw them at the First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia, a small venue where a ton of amazing bands play there. I was right up fron, and I had a conversation with The Lead Singer of The Young People, and my friend got on stage with the liars a lot, stagedived, and the band invited him ot play an extra set of drums on the encore. He kicked ***, especially since they didn't know he was a drummer : )

It was really fun.

Also, Yo La Tengo/ Sun Ra Arkestra was amazing. The Arkestra was so out there, but they were amazing. Space is the place!

Yo La Tengo were really good music wise, but they didn't have great stage presence... Only the drummer was interesting for the most part.

I've been to a bunch of other concerts, but non stand out as much as these. Of course, I'm going ot see Bowie (<3) and I'm going to see Pretty Girls Make Graves and Animal Collective and The Unicorns in one crazy marathon, so we;ll see how it goes afterwards.

The worst concert I ever went to......hmm..... I never really didn't enjoy a concert. My feet really hurt when I saw Nelly Furtado the first time. But that's about it... : )

[size=1]I think the worst concert I've been to was one for Smash Mouth. They were playing at Universal last year for Mardi Gras, so me and a couple friends went to see it. It really wasn't that bad at all - they were a fun band and they jumped around a lot on stage, but the part that sucked was that Universal hired an idiot to select the location of the stage. It was [i]uphill[/i]... who does that? I'm 5'3", and there's no way I'm going to see over the people in front of me, lol. There were a lot of people pushing for a better view as a result, and there were a few fights because of it. The good part about [i]that[/i], though, was that they got kicked out and freed up more space. Gotta love it.

That, and there was this creepy drunk guy with a camera that kept trying to follow us through the crowds. Eventually, we lost him, but I'm still emotionally scarred. The things I go through for music.[/size]

• 1 year later...
Well, I think that the worst concert I've ever been to was an Aerosmith concert. I went with my boyfriend at the time who was totally obsessed with the band...ack! It was like watching my grandpa get up and do a little dance. The show would have been much better if the opening band (the Afghan Wigs) had just played for another 45 minutes, which was how long the Aerosmith portion lasted (that's less than two sets!!!)

The best concert I've been to? It has to be a tie between the National Symphony Orchestra that I went to in the eighth grade, and a concert by a band called Cowboy Mouth (New Orleans band) that was totally great. The NSO was great in that there were world-class musicians, and lots of them, along with some really great music (even though they couldn't get the permits for the explosives needed for the 1812 Overture..hehe, those explosions are cool). But the Cowboy Mouth concert was awesome, because the band had so much energy, and it was unusual at that point to see the frontman be the drummer ( I had not yet seen the Phil Collins concert). I mean, I don't know of any other band that could get 10,000 people on the parade grounds at school to sing "This Little Light of Mine..." and like it!

Anyhow, That's about it.

[font="arial"][size="2"][color="darkorchid"]Since I've only been to one concert my whole life, it fits in both categories.

The Killers:

Good-
First concert ever
Awesome band
Friends were there
Got in for free
The pretzel was good. =D

Bad-
The opening band, Louis the XIV, wasn't all that great, and they played for about 45 minutes
Sat too far away from stage/friends
Left around ten PM and I had to wake up really early the next day, resulting in missing "All The Things That I've Done," which was the last song they played.

Yep. That's it.[/font][/size][/color]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Best - a The Tragically Hip bar show in Kingston.

It was awesome because it was such a small venu, and showed that a multi-platinum, 10-album superband still gets back too it's roots. And without amps or mics or anything, it was so nice to hear an actual band play - not hear their amps recreat their music. And it was better, too. There were about 200 people, most of which were dedicated hip-heads so it wasn't even very noisey. When you've got 200 fat, drunken men chanting along with Another Midnight and than following it up with a moving bout of Fiddlers Green (It's a shame I didn't get a recording of that - they've never played a recorded show of Fiddlers Green due to the personal tragedy of the song and Gord Downie. He was crying while he sang it.) it's really quiet an amazing show.

Worst - Jazz Fest in Ottawa.

One of the larger Jazz Festivles on earth. I was really excited about it, I happen to like Jazz. Me and my family go. We pay about 10 each too get in. No Jazz. All nightlong, notihng but terrible punk-wannabes and their fans. It was a terrible show - Sum 41 was the highlight act, and they CANNOT play live. Not many bands these days can play live.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]The funny thing is, I've been to both the best and worst concert of my life in the past five days. And they weren't the same one, either.

The best? 3 Inches of Blood. It was in a tiny venue, Club Boom Va (in Ogden), and the stage was like two feet off the ground, so the crowd got right up there. The opening acts were cool and all-local, too: Necrophacus, Offered No Escape, and Burn the Prophets. They all rocked pretty hard. But it was nothing compared to 3 Inches, when they came on. I was standing right in the front, so I was almost pushed up on stage a few times. I managed to stand my ground, though. It was just so cool. My only regret was that I didn't know more of their songs by heart.

The worst? NIN and Queens of the Stone Age. It really bums me out to call this the worst concert I've ever been to, because I absolutely love those bands. They were great, they played the songs wonderfully and just rocked out. But whoever was in charge of the sound should be shot. In the head. With cancer. There was so much distortion and the acoustics were just awful. It would take me like half the song just to figure out which one it was. Part of it was that the venue was the E-Center, which is a hockey rink, and hockey rinks are not known for their concert-hall acoustics. Add to the crappy sound the fact that EVERYONE was smoking. The air was practically solid. I thought I was going to get cancer and die right there. Plus, the t-shirts were, like, 30 bucks! That's ridiculous![/FONT][/COLOR]

hmm, I'm thinking that my favorite concert would have to be the Jethro Tull concert at Navy Pier a two years ago or so. It was a nice smallish concert and we felt relatively close to the stage for a reasonable price. Not to mention, Jethro Tull's one of my all time favorite bands, so that's a major plus ^^

Can't say I've been to a concert that I've really hated, though I'm sure if I had to choose, it'd be one of the country ones my friend dragged me too XD

[COLOR=DarkOrange]My best concert expierience would have to be Five Iron Frenzy at Kingdom Bound a few years ago. They were most of the way done with their farewell tour, and I was just glad to actually get to see them.

It was a concert festival, so I was expecting, maybe, forty five minutes to an hour.

They played for [b]three hours[/b]. Played every single one of their best songs, and some songs they'd vowed never to play again, and the crowd was just crazy. They weren't a wildly popular band, even in the "Christian Rock" circle, but they were great. We just stayed, dancing and generally acting like idiots, the whole night. There were people dancing with people they'd never met before, just the craziest, loudest, [b]weirdest[/b] dance I have ever seen, that just seemed to include a lot of random kicking. It was wild, and a lot of fun.

The worst concert would have to be Toby Mac. He's an ok singer, but he shouldn't try to rap. He kept getting out of time, and just...shouting. Add in the fact that I'd just been at a Pillar concert, and Pillar has, generally, the volume of a jet engine in their concerts, I had the worst headache ever, so I sat down and slept during most of the concert.

[B]Edit:[/B] Who on EARTH resurrected this dinosaur? Never realized the thread was that old....wow....[/COLOR]

Guest trunkssj6
I'd have to say the best concert I've ever been to was the [U]Allman Brothers Band [/U] concert at the Savannah Civic Center last April. I hadn't been a fan for very long, but I could not pass up the opportunity to see such a great band play! And lucky me, my best friend was able to get us some V.I.P. passes, and some pretty good seats. We wen't through a tough time getting the V.I.P. passes beacause the idiot forgot to bring a photo I.D.

Lynyrd Skynyrd (or perhaps, the official cover band for Lynryd Skynryd) was opening for the Allman Bros., and I wasn't too interested with them. I just chilled out backstage and laughed at all the drunk rednecks cheering on all their favorite Skynyrd songs, "FREEBIRD!" Skynyrd didn't impress me at all, they play all their songs in the same order and in the same way at every show. There's no change in their shows, now on the other hand, The Allman Bros. are experts at improvising. Everytime they play their shows, they do different songs, and in a different manner.

I love the way they got up there, and all the members just played their hearts out. I love the improvisation! Hell, some songs lasted a good, solid half-hour. Greg Allman, Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks, Oteil Burbridge; they were all doing their own thing up there! I mean, you can't beat a ten minute, improvised guitar solo! They played 'till about 1am, a good 4 hours of music my friend.

The Allman Bros. play Blues and Rock by the way. If you'd like to hear some good music, may I suggest [U]The Allman Brothers Band - Live at Fillmore East[/U]. Anyways.. enough about them.

As far as bad concerts.. I've been to two. The first, was my Guitar Teacher's punk band. They played in a small recreation center in the next town over with one of his students' band. To sum it up, the whole experience sucked. In that small center, they had their amps turned all the way up. Heh, I don't really mind the loudness, I just wasn't too fond of the music. They played some original material, and some Misfits and Green Day covers; not my cup of tea.

As for the other, it was a Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan concert. My dad got us two tickets for my birthday. I thought to myself "Oh, great, two legends! This should be great!" I was sadly mistaken. The concert was held at a minor league baseball stadium, and the tickets said "Rain or Shine." It rained... Willie came out and opened for Dylan. I hadn't heard much of his music before, but now I know that I'm not a fan.. After him, came Dylan. I really wanted to see him because he was one of Hendrix's biggest influences. You can barely understand the poor guy, and he was just horrible that night. Plus, he got all Jesus-y on us, ick, I came for music, not a sermon. Heh, in the middle of Dylan's third song, I looked over at my dad and he says "Ready to go?" Boy was I. So we made our way through the drunken mob and got out of there, soaking wet. There was one highlight of the entire thing, when Dylan's son, I think, came out and played "Texas Flood." I was like "IS THIS ELCTRIC GUITAR?!" Heh, I nearly pissed myself, I was so happy to hear some good music.

Anyways, those are my Best/Worst concerts!

Heh, I know that most of you guys listen to nothing but Punk and Emo.. but hey, I tried. I wonder if anyone will read this.

Ironically enough, the best and worst shows I've ever been too were by the same band, Reel Big Fish.

The first time I saw them was at the 9:30 club in DC and they just kicked ***. I mean, like, allota ***. But the most important part was the crowd, who were all so genuinely into the band, but also very kind. I ended up getting 4 free beers outta people just because they liked my shirt. How sweet is that?

However, when I went to go see them the second time, the result was quite different. They were playing at my college's spring concert thingy, and I was super pumped to see them. But I had gotten trashed the night before, so I slept in until about 1 in the afternoon. This would have been fine if one of the other acts didn't decide to be pussies and not show, forcing Reel Big Fish to go on an hour early. By the time I got to the stage, they were on their last song. Not only that, but I had forgotten my ticket in my dorm room, so i was forced to stand outside a huge chain-link fence and watch my favorite band in the world preform without me in the crowd. And I was still hung-over. Not a good day.

Best and worst was the same concert for me

Best - 3 inches of blood at the sterlin Hotel just on friday. They were just freaking amazing small venue stage was really close and could talk to em after the show no problem. Just amazing!!! Anyone whose herd of them I suggest going to see them they put on a great show.

Worst- The other bands that played that show (watch them die, crisis, and exodus) Ok here goes my rants Watch them die started out decent enough but after about 3 songs just got boring. Crisis...chick singer with dreads down to the floor prancing around in angel wings..no thank you for a metal concert got a good laugh outta that though. And exodus..band from the 80's all their songs sound the same I mean they are all right but I couldn't stand an hour of them.

CORPSE TORCHER = MY NEW FRIEND! I mean, if you're the Wykydtron, you must kick all forms of *****. By the way, I have the Axes of Evil floating in their crystal orb in my closet. Ironic, no?

Anyway, worst concert ever: Backstreet Boys. Self-explanitory, I think.

Best: [B]3 INCHES OF BLOOD![/B] Best show I've ever seen. Ever. Energy, craziness, and most importantly, METAAAAAAAAL!

But I'm seeing Children of Bodom on Nov. 17, and I assure you, that will be the best concert ever.

[QUOTE=Ozymandius Jones][COLOR=DarkOrange]My best concert expierience would have to be Five Iron Frenzy at Kingdom Bound a few years ago. They were most of the way done with their farewell tour, and I was just glad to actually get to see them.

It was a concert festival, so I was expecting, maybe, forty five minutes to an hour.

They played for [b]three hours[/b]. Played every single one of their best songs, and some songs they'd vowed never to play again, and the crowd was just crazy. They weren't a wildly popular band, even in the "Christian Rock" circle, but they were great. We just stayed, dancing and generally acting like idiots, the whole night. There were people dancing with people they'd never met before, just the craziest, loudest, [b]weirdest[/b] dance I have ever seen, that just seemed to include a lot of random kicking. It was wild, and a lot of fun.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Hey Jones, was that at Kings Dominion, because I saw a similar show there, though i remember calling it Kings-fest (though I think we just named it that ourselves). I remember the music being good, but for a high energy show like Five Iron Frenzy, they played on a stage with stationary seating taking up most of the venue, leaving those of us who love to jump around and rock out either antsy in the pantsy or jumping around way off to the side of the show.

Either way, Five Iron Frenzy was a heck of a band live, and I'm a big fan of them.

Hello. I am quite new here, so am going to start by presenting my story.
My story is about gorillas.- I used to be a star, one of those who shines at present time.- who had a terrible past, when I was isolated by the world and no one loved me.- but i entered the gorilla click...
We used to live in the jungle, and have fun... working towards social development and good causes... flying on airplanes and travelling around the world, going to forums and smoking pipes...
But the jungle only lasts too long, got big, got strong... and had to grow up.. so bye, bye jungle and entered on the stucked up life of capitalism... I suffered soo much.- first on this meta-NGO-company who wanted to fight against corruption... did not last much, many people fired... it hurt a bit... later the arts, more snakes than love... and education, I ended up working for the mafia... and the pilato´s man... am i Barrabas? Oh, no... I love Jesus, go to Mass every sunday... really enjoy spirituality...
but am lonely, job goes bad... need a hand...
bye.- that is all for now folks, till later.- hope you like me... do you??

[b][font=Verdana][color=blue]Edit:[/color][/font][/b]
How can an Otaku Boy go to a "boys" concert? Hey, babe... it is important to have a life, to shave your beard every day... who has a beard in this group?? Who enjoys kissing with beards?
In my gorilla time, I met a bear.- he was called like a Toad.- but he was a bear... but the best kisser was from Norway.- anyone from the scandinavian countries???

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I merged your posts together.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]- Petie[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Welcome to OtakuBoards popilongsleeves. It is important that you are familiar with the [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?"]rules[/url] and the [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/faq.php?"]FAQ[/url] before you continue posting.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Double posting (and in this case, triple posting) is not allowed here. If you want to say more, please use the edit button at the bottom right-hand corner of your post. That is what it is there for.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Second, please be sure your posts contain some actual content. I deleted one of the three posts you had here because it did not add to the discussion. In the future, please be sure to say something that will promote discussion in your posts.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or any other Moderator.[/color][/font]

Deaer Petie,

Thanks for your revealing personal e-mail. In any case, thank you.- but you deleted the part of my message which most added to the discussion:: it mentioned my favourite concerts (which I think it was the reason for this discussion, righttt???)

I am gonna elaborate. When I was in the jungle, I went to see Pearl Jam.- oh, hi hi.- they syrely rock!!! I fell in love at first sight, though the boy I met there did not deserve the night that I dedicated him with so much pleasure.

Then when I was in the jungle, bilbao.- who remembersssssss???? Green Day!!! A night in the slope.- we got a car in madrid and travelled up into the big jungle with a couple of fin friends... his 2 footballs were very smooth, and licking ice-cream was like a night in the paradise.- anyone familiar with Anastasia, the disney movie???

Last and for all... went to a concert or two.- but no need to elaborate on that.. wanna go to Cold Play some day... (but still play hot) Is anyone fan of coldplay????? or the rolling stones... (rolling pizza balls... uooops... mami!)???

Being friends... forever more... cés la vie, ma cherie...

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][color=indigo]I have only been to one concert. It was an all day evert 11:00a.m to 10:00p.m or some thing like that. There were I think 6 bands there. To newbie bands and 4 others. The other bands were Taking Back Sunday, Jimmy Eat World, Sum 41, and Billy Idol. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][color=indigo]Best part about the concert was the preformance.(Spelling?)Billy Idol was the Best out of the six. One of the reasons I say this was because he pointed to me during one of the songs. (The song was called Scream for his new album Devil's Playground. Some people know the lyerics to that song)The other best thing was that both Sum 41 and Billy Idol signed autographs and meet with some of the fans after they preformaned. The other thing that was good was the price for the tickets. There were just 20 dollars each if you bought them before hand and only 30 dollars at the gate. the food prices were not bad either[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][color=indigo]Bad part was that some one brought in drugs. People kept getting hurt. Plus, one of the bands kept saying F**k and A** H***. There were kids in the crowed that were 9 and 10 years old. I mean that not something you want them to repeating. Also some of the women kept flashing people at one point but that stopped quick. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][color=indigo]This also some thing that was werid. I think it was Taking Back Sunday that were the ones that almost stopped playing because the crowed was getting rough. Some one got hurt and the lead singer was like "Help the guy up! Let him through" He even got mad because he smelled pot or some drug coming from the crowed .[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][color=#4b0082][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=blue]I don't know why they were there to begin with but I removed the three links that redirect you to some advertisement and generally shady looking sites.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=blue]- Petie[/color][/size][/font]

[QUOTE=Cat14][font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][color=indigo]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][color=indigo]Bad part was that some one brought in drugs. People kept getting hurt. Plus, one of the bands kept saying F**k and A** H***. There were kids in the crowed that were 9 and 10 years old. I mean that not something you want them to repeating. Also some of the women kept flashing people at one point but that stopped quick. [/color][/size][/font]

[/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]
You'll realize that, as you attend more concerts, this is all very, very commonplace. Parents that allow their 9 and 10 year old kids should be expecting language. The whole drug thing is VERY LAME, and very common.

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I also removed the same link from your quote (see the quoted message if you're confused).[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]- Petie[/color][/font]

HOW OLD ARE YOU ALLL?????????
I would like to see how is the coorelation betwen age and favourite concerts. You look young to me, around 16.- is that right???
Please answer now... and guess my age reading about my very best concerts...

Second proposal: who has seen Peral Jam? ANY specific memories???

Be aware.- I´ll be reading... need replies before I go.
bye