OtakuBoards

Pok

Jokopoko

[size=1][color=royablue]o.o wow... I have to come to the Play It forum more often, these threads are so fun to read!

Anyways, I'v been a Pokemon Fan sense I was seven, and at one point I owned every single game that had ever come out (Up until R/S). Eventually I just stopped playing the games and when R/S came out I honostly didn't think much of it. My parents thought I had grown out of Pokemon, so bringing it up again would just be too odd, plus, some of the new Pokemon looked really corney. There were rock type Pokemon before... but now they actually ARE rocks! Plus, alot of people told me it wasn't that good and features were taken out.

I plan on borrowing my cousins Saphire version and then buying Leaf Green, no matter how much Pokemon games evolve, I will always believe that the first two games (Red and Blue) were the best. I'm not really sure why, but I like the originality of it, and knowing that it was the first. Plus, when I was eight all these freaks told me that there was green version. I'v waited nearly 6 freakin' years for green to come out!!!! [/size][/color]

SonicSlash stole my custom title!

[QUOTE=SonicSlash]Pokemon Defender to the rescue!

Whether or not it is a cut-and paste, the game sells. And it's still one popular game, and if you look at it, they change more than the graphics. Each game actually changes in more ways than one, it always has innovations to change the experience.

If you would pick up one of the new games and actually try it, you would know that :o

But, that's just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

At one point, I'll have you know, I had R/B/Y/G/S/C/stadium in my collection. But then the novelty started to fade. I didn't feel like learning ANOTHER new set of 100 pokemon, I realized that the new mechanics had a minimal effect on the game, and I felt like I didn't have 7 Pokemon games, but rather 3 copies of one game and 3 copies of its expansion pack with a tournament mode docking station for both. I didn't want to waste any more money on what was essentially the same gameplay experiance. The only reason the game sells is because it's fanbase, 5-12, and their parents don't know enough about the gaming world to figure out this isn't an entirely new game.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
I'll have to agree, Pokemon games really don't have much innovation nowadays. Which wouldn't be a problem if the graphics weren't 2 years behind, along with the music, perhaps. Let's face it, there is a minimal amount of improvement from generation to generation when it comes to PKMN games. They're still good games, but anyone looking for a real change is sure to be disappointed. I know I was when I bought Silver after playing my fill of Yellow (I still think Yellow is the best because of the interactive Pikachu following you around; I wish you could have any PKMN follow you around, it would be funny). Silver just plain sucked, especially because it abused the idea of an internal clock to no end. Sorry woman, no time for lovin', I have a pokemon to catch that only comes out at [i]this[/i] time of night. Yeah, right.

And Ruby/Sapphire continue in the glorious tradition of having Pokemon that can be grouped into "tiers" of power/usefulness, meaning that if you want a winning team, you don't have many options to personalize your pkmn setup. Having a non-00ber team is all fun until you play against your needlessly competitive friend whose Rayquaza stomps all over your team, one-hit-kill per pkmn.

[QUOTE=ScirosDarkblade]I'll have to agree, Pokemon games really don't have much innovation nowadays. Which wouldn't be a problem if the graphics weren't 2 years behind, along with the music, perhaps. Let's face it, there is a minimal amount of improvement from generation to generation when it comes to PKMN games. They're still good games, but anyone looking for a real change is sure to be disappointed. I know I was when I bought Silver after playing my fill of Yellow (I still think Yellow is the best because of the interactive Pikachu following you around; I wish you could have any PKMN follow you around, it would be funny). Silver just plain sucked, especially because it abused the idea of an internal clock to no end. Sorry woman, no time for lovin', I have a pokemon to catch that only comes out at [i]this[/i] time of night. Yeah, right.

And Ruby/Sapphire continue in the glorious tradition of having Pokemon that can be grouped into "tiers" of power/usefulness, meaning that if you want a winning team, you don't have many options to personalize your pkmn setup. Having a non-00ber team is all fun until you play against your needlessly competitive friend whose Rayquaza stomps all over your team, one-hit-kill per pkmn.[/QUOTE]

Well first of all, the graphics and music are now Pokemon-esque. Take those graphics away and its just not the same game anymore. And yeah, that's what ya'll want. But think about it, any other graphics would make the game kinda...I don't know, dumb?

And you complain that its not innovative and then you go whining about the internal clock! THATS VERY INNOVATIVE IF YOU ASK ME. And any boy that is making love to a woman and has to stop to go catch a pokemon shouldn't be playing pokemon. But hey, he could'a just waited until tomorrow night.

But, thats just my opinion.

You know, it seems that everyone who doesn't like Pokemon stopped liking it after G/S/C came out. Why? Not enough change? Well, if it ain't broke, why fix it? The Pokemon formula works, and doesn't need any radical changes. New Pokemon and moves make things a little different in the new versions, and the 2-v-2 battles in R/S and Colliseum(sp?) are underrated. I agree that there's a definite superiority/inferiority thing with the Pokemon. Some are definatly better than the others, especially the legendaries. Of course, you can just decide not to use them, and refuse to play with people who do. Oh, and it's basically impossible for all the Pokemon to be equal. Intentional or not, some will always be better than others. I don't care. Fortunatly, the Pokemon I like have so far been powerful enough to stand up to the harder Trainers in the games (Elite Four, Champion), and I don't have anyone to play against, so I don't have to worry about that.

I think that R/S introduced enough new stuff to keep things interesting, but kept the excellent gameplay basically the same. Of course, the best part about R/S is Dark-type Pokemon Absol, who happens to be my favorite. For everyone else, read what's above, and if you don't agree, play R/S. If you don't like it, fine, but you should never write off a game you haven't played.

• 2 months later...
The latest thing involving Pokemon in Japan right now is apparently a special Rayquaza Edition emerald-green GBA SP, adorned with images of it all over. I think it's a commemoration of some sort.

On a slightly different note, with the NES SP, the Tribal Edition SP, and the new pink SP, that's three gimmicks in total, along with many, many other things Nintendo related that are mostly critically acclaimed for their collectable value.

[QUOTE=Wingnut Ninja]The latest thing involving Pokemon in Japan right now is apparently a special Rayquaza Edition emerald-green GBA SP, adorned with images of it all over. I think it's a commemoration of some sort.

On a slightly different note, with the NES SP, the Tribal Edition SP, and the new pink SP, that's three gimmicks in total, along with many, many other things Nintendo related that are mostly critically acclaimed for their collectable value.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Hmm interesting...

I have to admit though these days new styled limited edition GBA SPs are coming along every other day and there's only a slight variation between most of them. I'm still happy with my silver GBA SP which I bought when they first came out although I must admit I am tempted by some of these new designs they've come up with.

As for the whole Fire Red and Leaf Green series of the Pokémon games I don't think I'm going to bother with them this time around. I owned both of the original games and I have to admit that I'm not intrigued by them going back and revamping Red and Blue to produced these.

To me this just says that Nintendo are running out of ideas for the Pokémon series, I mean there are so many other areas they could have gone with these games but it must have been easier to just reproduced the originals with new graphics and a few new features. What's next [Something] Gold and [Something] Silver ?[/SIZE]

My little brother picked up Fire Red and seems to be enjoying it far more than Sapphire. I'm not sure why exactly.

I did have a couple of questions from him though...

I know you can trade between Ruby/Sapphire and Fire/Leaf. However, at the point he's at it says "We can't accept trades from far away regions yet, sorry."

What do you have to do to enable these trades?

[quote name='Wingnut Ninja']I'm going off on a wild guess here, but the word "yet" in that sentence leads me to believe that he's probably not far enough in the game as it stands...[/quote]

Well that's what I figured, which is why I was wondering what had to be done to get that enabled heh.

[QUOTE=Semjaza Azazel]My little brother picked up Fire Red and seems to be enjoying it far more than Sapphire. I'm not sure why exactly.

I did have a couple of questions from him though...

I know you can trade between Ruby/Sapphire and Fire/Leaf. However, at the point he's at it says "We can't accept trades from far away regions yet, sorry."

What do you have to do to enable these trades?[/QUOTE]

[size=1]I was wondering why I couldn't yet, either, so I read the trading section of the instruction manual and learned that you can only trade with Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire once you enter the Hall of Fame.

There was something else about a special trading area in the manual, but I can't remember exactly what it said so I'd just suggest to read the trading section of the manual for more information on it.

[b][color=DarkSlateBlue]-Ouka[/b][/color][/size]

[quote name='Yunsung][color=darkred][size=1]Well, have you gotten to the Hoenn region yet? If so, then you can. You just have to unlock the ability to go to the different regions, I think.[/color'][/size][/quote]

[size=1]I think all you can do is trade with Ruby/Sapphire.

I don't know, though. I only have 7 badges as of today, so I'm not yet far enough to know all the kinds of things you can do after you enter the Hall of Fame.

[b][color=DarkSlateBlue]-Ouka[/b][/color][/size]

After the Hall of Fame indictment, you can then go and capture Mewtwo as you could in the original versions. But then you can go after Moltres and about half of the "Johto" Pokémon on seven newly discovered islands they have installed in the game. On these islands are different events and challenges for you to accomplish. As far as trading goes with Ruby/Saphire, that is all you can do. The only region, other than the seven islands, on which you can play is the Kanto region, which kinds sucks. But the goo news about this game, is that you can now own all 350+ Pokémon. Obviously by trading with Ruby/Saphire and the half you can catch on the seven islands. As far as the other half of the Johto Pokémon goes, you can trade them from Colleseum for the Game Cube. The downside to that is, that you wust have a special cable that connects the two, a Game Cube, both a Fire Red/Leaf Green, and Colleseum. The other catch is that you must beat both the Game Cube and the Advance games in order to trade.

[size=1]I tried entering the Cerulean Cave to capture Mewtwo, but the man standing in front wouldn't let me pass. I'm guessing its because my Pokemon are quite low leveled right now (upper 50's as of today).

But, anywho, you have to have Colleseum to obtain the other Johto Pokemon? What a rip! Not only do I not have the money to purchase Colleseum, I definitely don't have the money to purchase a GameCube and the special link cable!

And I was really hoping in FireRed and LeafGreen they would finally give you the ability to travel to every region that's been played in so far. What a load of crap.

But, don't mind my bickering; I do love the new games. They really did a great job in these re-makes of the original games. And that's saying a lot from me, I don't usually like re-makes. =/

Ah, well. I guess I'll just live with what I can do with Ruby/Sapphire and FireRed/LeafGreen and catch as many of them in each game as I can.[/size]

• 2 weeks later...
Ok well there are 386 pokemon in total all of which you can catch in Fire Red/Leaf Green and the ones you need a gamecube for just buy a gameshark for thos pokemon most of them you are able to catch in the actual games tho. Also there are 9 islands not 7 its just that the only way to get the other 2 is through a nintendo event for example at The Pokemon Center in New York City on certain days im sure there are other places for the events but i cant remember the others an easyway to check should be to go to there homepage, nintendos that is for the places and dates. There are also some new pokemon that you will be able to get through a nintendo event meaning there are more then 386 but you can only get them through nintendo tho. Now inorder to trade with Ruby/Sapphire you need to beat the pokemon league and then travel to the islands and do all the stupid little things on all 7 and you will be able to trade between Fire Red/Leaf Green and Ruby/Sapphire. Hope that helps some of your questions.

[size=1][color=purple]LMAO!!! I know! It's like the damned Windwaker theme all [i]over[/i] again! :cross:

I HATE that! T_T I was very disappointed when I found a bunch of dinky little midget-sized islands, usually with only a few places of interests on each.

But I love this game nonetheless. I've beaten the Eilte 4 using only Blastoise, Nidoking, Butterfree, and Pidgeot. But then again, I bought a lot of Hyper Potions and Revives. :p

But the biggest thing I love about this game other than the fun factor and graphical eye-candy (for retro RPG gamers like me *wink*) is the [i]music[/i] The battle music all sounds like something off Mega Man--and Ru/Sa could've used a better make-over, lol. [/color][/size]