OtakuBoards

Pok

Jokopoko

[COLOR=TEAL][SIZE=1][B]I don't know if any one else has heard about this new set of Pkmn games but the basic idea is that they have given Red and Green the 'R/S treatment' graphics wise and the story is a little different with the addition of nine mystery islands and the ability to capture Deoxys[sp?] in the wild.

Any other comments or rumours feel free to post them here[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=TEAL][SIZE=1][B]Well both of the games have been released in Japan and [So I've heard] made record sales so they will probs be coming to U.S. and Europe, the offical release in Japan was 29th of Jan so going by other Pkmn release dates I'd say we could have it within three or so months but thats just an estimate based on the usual amount of time[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=green]From a quick google search, I?ve found that [u]Pokemon: Leaf Green[/u] and [u]Pokemon: Fire Red[/u] were released in Japan last month. They?re not in English yet, but apparently they?re available worldwide from Internet retailers.

Concerning these games, I wouldn?t spend a penny on them. They?re simply touched up and graphically revised editions of the original Japanese red and green versions.

Oh, I forgot to mention that they follow the pathetic Pokemon game tradition of adding new Pokemon and new places to explore. Same old game on a new map with a few new features.

It looks like the dying gasp of a fad that overstayed its welcome.[/color]

[color=darkblue]Well, personally haven't played Ruby and Sapphire yet, if Fire Red and Leaf Green are simply going to be Crystal-esque (in the manner that it will simply be an upgrade version as Crystal was to Gold & Silver), I really wouldn't give it a try. I mean, if worse comes to worse, the only thing someone has to do to get all the Pokémon is simply trade or get a GameShark.

Admittedly, Pokémon has become quite repetitive over the years, and the gameplay has worn extremely thin. The only saving grace it really has now is Colosseum that's dropping on March 24th, and that's somewhat farfetched in a way. Like Boba said, Pokémon may very well be in its final stage of stardom...[/color]

[color=indigo]As I said in the old thread, I won't be buying either of these games, just as I passed on Ruby and Sapphire. Too little has been changed in R/S since the days of R/B, and now they want us to buy remakes of those originals? I don't think so; there may still be a good number of Pokemon fans out there that will spend their money on a gimick like this, but I'm not one of them. Unless they actually make some substantial changes to the gameplay and story, Pokemon isn't getting any more of my cash.

Like Lady K said, the only thing that may end up being worthwhile is Colosseum's RPG mode, but I don't think I'm going to pay $50 for one mode of a game. I kind of doubt it'll be all that long, at least compared to the GB/GBA games, and I have no interest in straight up battles--I got tired of that after the two Stadium games on the N64.

I doubt Pokemon will be dying any time soon, though, even if they do just keep recycling the same gameplay and story over and over. It's been working for all the games so far, and they've all sold exceedingly well. And since there doesn't seem to be any sign of it stopping, I'm just hoping (and losing faith as each new set of games is released) that Nintendo will do something interesting with the series that will actually be worth the money.[/color]

I've not played a ton of Pokemon games, but I own both Blue and Sapphire and they're really not all that comparable other than at their core. I think it's worth owning one of the newer games in the series.

That said, I'm looking forward to that wireless link cable that's supposed to be released along with this more than the actual game itself.

Well this new Pokemon remake might be a waste of money but it does introduce a nice new feature. Browsing IGN GB I found that while the game itself may not be exciting many people, what comes with it might. Each box comes with the new GBA wireless adapter (as mentioned earlier) that allows you battle/trade pokemon with others who are seperated from you. Sort of like a wireless link cable. I don't know the the range of the adapter and how far away it can pick up signals from other adapters but it seems like a pretty neat feature. If you're not into the whole Pokemon thing, the wireless adapter technology will be used in some other games as well in the future. It'll be interesting to see if they market this device here in the US and other countries and whether they'll package it with the new Pokemon game for free like they're doing in Japan. If used correctly, it could be some hot property.

[color=indigo]Well, there may be a decent amount of difference between R/B and R/S, but how about between G/S and R/S? I've played through my Yellow game twice and my Gold game once, plus a lot of battling on both Stadium games, so unless R/S or FR/LG is a good step up from G/S I don't think I'll be getting them. Gold and Silver had some good changes from the original games, but from what I've read about the newer games, they doesn't sound too much different from G/S, besides being able to do 2 vs. 2 battles.

I am somewhat interested in the wireless link, but I doubt I'd have too much use for it unless my friends also got them. It'd be kind of pointless for only me to have one, since I wouldn't actually be able to use it.[/color]

I have a the rom of leaf green and an english patch. its really nothing special just a remake of blue and red they just did a few things over like you have the option to be wiether boy or girl they have all the same pokemon from red and blue with a few from crystal/silver/gold.

• 2 weeks later...
[font=Verdana][size=1]Ah I see you beat me to posting a thread about this Jo but no matter. I first read about this game in a small side column in Nintendo Offical Magazine UK, at first glance I thought it was interesting and had considered purchasing it when it came out. Between my brother and myself we've owned R/B, G/S and I now own Sapphire, there have been a few little tweaks here and there between the series but I think that the leap between R/B to G/S is not carried on from G/S to R/S.

Many of the more interesting and fun dimensions were cut from G/S such as Night/Day and the ability to fight all the previous games Gyms again when Nintendo moved on to R/S were replaced with the annoyed Pokemon Contests and Battle Tower. I was also horrified to learn that Nintendo had cut a large number of the Pokemon from previous editions and replaced them with largely similar counter-parts for the new games. I mean look at Seviper and Arbok and tell me that I'm wrong.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=1]These new options in Fire Red and Leaf Green will pull the cash from the wallets of some Pokémaniacs but many of the rest of us will just sigh and wish for better games ahead. I agree with Lady Katana and Boba when they say that this may signal the end of the Pokémon franchaise, I would hope that Nintendo might expand the games to the Gamecube (Yes I am aware of the new Pokémon Colosseum game) or possibly reinvent the entire series over again for the GBA, and that it might breathe new life and a bit of worth into this recycled series...[/size][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
:ball: I've played every Pokemon game at least once on my GBA and there's nothing special about them. As said earlier, everything is repetative.
Honestly,the only reason I buy them is for their hidden glitches and that's all. They made G/S/C look to be the greatest thing that ever came out and they bombed. Then came R/S. This is how I saw it. "Ooh, let's give them the ability to run, dive, more crappy new areas to explore and crappy Pokemon to catch, and weather! Oooooooh!"
The only Pokemon game that I haven't played and that I want is Green. There are just a few rumors I want to test and that's it. I don't want it for the play itself. In fact, all of the games will bore you to death in the end. There's only so much you can do, and once you beat it totally, what's there left to do? I'm a gamer and I love to play and beat my games, but in Pokemon there's no challenge to it. You get one, beat evil Team Whatever, beat the gyms and Elite Four, beat your rival/champion, collect all Pokemon, that's it and what's worse, that's _ALWAYS_ it.
As far as game play goes, low graphics and cheap music amaze me only because they sell so well. I suppose younger people enjoy it but if these games bomb out like the others, this is no way that they'll get any more of my money.
I honestly don't think Pokemon will ever die. Heck, I started six years ago and I still play the card game. Pokemon is part of the building blocks of the modern-day anime cult following. People may not play the games, but I'm certain newer generations will keep it going.
Anyway,thanks for listening, (reading, whatever) to my rant. Like said several times already, they probably won't be worth our time. ^_~

If it comes out of America, I'm going to buy Fire Red. Since Deoxys' stats are FAR too good to resist on the version. (Deoxys' stats are different in every game. Normal in R/S, Defensive is in Green, Offensive is in Red. Though Deo in Red might get knocked out so easily XD) I heard that you could trade pokemon with R/S. So Groudon and others can be on the other game....

Pocket Monsters will ide out soon enough. Till then, PokeMon will be a big hit...

I normally wouldn't even consider buying another Poke'mon game, but for Christmas this year, I finally got Ruby version. After playing through it, I became obsessed with Poke'mon again, even more than I was when the games first came out. In fact, after beating Ruby, I went right ahead and played Blue version again, then Gold, and I can safely say that I've been playing all of them a lot lately.

Anyways, yes, I am definetly buying one of these games when they come out this summer. It may just be Blue/Red, with Ruby/Sapphire graphics, and all the Poke'mon available on one game, but it sounds enjoyable to me. Also, after reading the FAQ for it, I can confirm that yes, every Poke'mon is catchable on these new ones, and yes, you can trade with Ruby and Sapphire.

[font=Garamond][size=1][color=darkslateblue]I first learned about FireRed/LeafGreen while surfing the web for some good quality Pokemon pictures. After reading a short article on the games, I was pretty excited, because, despite the fact that they are just remakes of Red/Green, I love playing all the games for the GB/GBA.[/color][/size][/font]

[size=1][color=#483d8b]I didn't particularly enjoy playing Red/Blue or Yellow. I thought they were way too tough, but because of all the new things that they did in Ruby/Sapphire, I will definitely be purchasing one or maybe even both of these games.[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=#483d8b]I was a little upset when playing Ruby/Sapphire, about how they kind of chucked Night/Day play out the window. I really enjoyed that, because it was very cool to be playing at night and inside the game, have it be nighttime. It feels strange to be playing at night and have it be day in the game.[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=#483d8b]Here's something that really bothered me, the clock. You could set it, but you couldn't change it for Daylight Savings Time. I'm hoping that if they feature the same clock in FireRed/LeafGreen, that it will let you change it for Daylight Savings Time.[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=#483d8b]I was also hoping that you would be able to travel back to the past regions to collect the badges in Ruby/Sapphire, but was horrified when I learned that they were featuring, what I think, the worst feature in Crystal, the Battle Tower. I will be glad if they don't put this feature in FireRed/LeafGreen.[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=#483d8b]I know that in Red/Blue/Yellow, Gold/Silver/Crystal, they allowed you to name your Rival, I was a bit angered when they didn't do that in Ruby/Sapphire. I always had fun picking out a name for my rival, hehehe. Taking into consideration that FireRed/LeafGreen are going to be remakes of the originals, I'm hoping that they will give you this option again.[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=#483d8b]2 on 2 battling, new islands, new graphics, being able to become a boy or girl, maybe a few new features, these games don't look much different from Crystal, Ruby/Sapphire, with the option to become a boy or girl, Ruby/Sapphire, with the 2 on 2 battling, new region, new islands, and new graphics, but I'm still going to buy them. Why? Because I'm a die-hard Pokemon fan. No matter how repetitive and old the games may get, I'll still be playing them. I'll be playing them until they stop making them.[/color][/size]

• 4 weeks later...
Hey, I was wondering what you guys thought about the new Pokemon games coming out in America soon. They are remakes of the first two released in Japan, only they are for the Gameboy Advance and can support all 350 pokemon including trading with Ruby and Saphire. They are also compatible with Colloseum, and I was just wondering if you guys thought that Nintendo should have released these. Or should they have stopped when they were ahead? Plus, if ou could remake one of the previous games, what would you do and why?

Guest Crimson Spider
I'm gonna pass on this game. I just don't feel the energy that I felt for the other games coming out. Not quite the "new" ness of it. I already have all the pokes at my grasp.

The addition of move-tutors in the game change some of the pokes sets around. Also speeds up the metagame even more, ruining it. Now it's a matter of who can speed-pass ninjask to marowak first contest, and sparsely anything more.

If I were to remake a game, I would remake Pokemon Stadium 2. I would have all the fun modes from the first two, have the additions of R/S on there, include a few more "fun" modes of play and competitions, make the blasted thing ONLINE. Well, I'm more of a think-it-up-when-it-shows-up guy, so I really couldn't specify much.

• 2 months later...
The newest edition to the world of Pokemon is Pokemon Leaf Green and Fire Red! It is based on Red and Blue but this time you can catch all of the Pokemon ever discovered. I think that you go to all the regions of the world including Hoenn. The game should be out in November so Pokemon Fanatic look out for Pokemon Leaf Green and Fire Red for the Gameboy Advance system.

[QUOTE=Black Kat]I'm a gamer and I love to play and beat my games, but in Pokemon there's no challenge to it. You get one, beat evil Team Whatever, beat the gyms and Elite Four, beat your rival/champion, collect all Pokemon, that's it and what's worse, that's _ALWAYS_ it.
As far as game play goes, low graphics and cheap music amaze me only because they sell so well. I suppose younger people enjoy it but if these games bomb out like the others, this is no way that they'll get any more of my money.[/QUOTE]
I just looked at this thread today, and I have to say that you've succeeded in pissing me off. Let's look at this quote, shall we? "As far as game play goes, low graphics and cheap music amaze me only because they sell so well." I'm only going to say this once: [size=4]GRAPHICS ARE NOT GAMEPLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size] I don't give a **** about how a game looks as long as it's a good game. I hope nobody ever takes your advice on what games to buy, Black Cat, because you can't look past the ****ing graphics and actually see the game!

Okay, so you can see the plot, too. Who gives a ****? So what if the plot sucks? If it's a good game, I don't give a **** about the plot, and neither should you. If you want a great plot, go rent a good, non-action and non-comedy movie (I recommend Antitrust). You play games to have fun playing them (I hope), so you shouldn't care about the story, graphics, music, etc. And saying that a bad story makes a game bad means that Viewtiful Joe, with its intentonally bad story, is bad, and if you think that, then I am never even aknowlageing your existance ever again.

The Pokemon games are good games because they're fun to play. I'm certainly going to buy one of these remakes, because I love Pokemon,no matter what anyone else thinks.

[quote name='ShadowHimura13']The game should be out in November so Pokemon Fanatic look out for Pokemon Leaf Green and Fire Red for the Gameboy Advance system.[/quote][font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]I believe you are a tad bit off there. The correct date for the release of Pokemon Fire Red and Pokemon Leaf Green is September [strike]9th[/strike] [font=Tahoma][b]7th [/b][/font][font=Arial](oops, looks like the dates been changed. It'll be released two days earlier than originally planned).[/font][/color][/size][/font]

[QUOTE=Black Kat]
[i]I'm a gamer and I love to play and beat my games, but in Pokemon there's no challenge to it. You get one, beat evil Team Whatever, beat the gyms and Elite Four, beat your rival/champion, collect all Pokemon, that's it and what's worse, that's _ALWAYS_ it. [/i]
[i]As far as game play goes, low graphics and cheap music amaze me only because they sell so well. I suppose younger people enjoy it but if these games bomb out like the others, this is no way that they'll get any more of my money.[/i]
[/QUOTE][font=Arial][size=1][color=darkslateblue]I'm agreeing with Takuya on this one. Graphics are not game play. Just because the graphics or the music may be bad, does not mean that the entire game is bad. Same goes for plot. As long as you can have fun playing the game [i]despite[/i] those things, its a good game. I'd know. I've played just every Pokemon game there's been for the GBC and GBA. The GBA games had much better graphics and music because the GBA is a more advanced technological machine than the GBC. But, even though the GBA games had better graphics and music, I still, to this date, absolutely love playing the GBC games because they're [b][font=Tahoma]fun[/font][/b]. Don't judge a game by its graphics, music or plot, judge it by how much fun it is.[/color][/size][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
Reading all these posts of these people dissing pokemon and such just makes me want to make a sign 1000 feet tall and put it on the front of my lawn, saying in big, bold, black letters [B]I AM A POKEMON FAN![/B]. But my mom would tear it down.

I've been following pokemon ever since the beginning, and I just wanna say that it is still one of my favorite games, and whether people want to admit it or not, it has GREATLY affected the ENTIRE video game market. Just look at all the games copying it.

Im definately buying this game. The wireless adapter just makes me want it even more. 100ft range isn't much, but I'll take it.

Last but not least, I just want to say -

[SIZE=4][B]I AM A POKEMON FAN![/SIZE][/B]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
PKMN games are surprisingly good. They're terribly addicitive. But I enjoyed playing PKMN Yellow and PKMN Stadium, and I have PKMN Ruby right now that I play when I'm out of town. I'll probably get Leaf Green and Fire Red for the adapters, plus the games are decent too.

There is actually a good amount of depth to Pokemon's fighting system, I'll have to admit. One of the better turn-based battle systems there is.

I am sick of pokemon. Each new one is a rehash of the one before it. New mechanics or shiny new graphics simply don't make up for the fact that each sequel feels like a cut-and-paste of it's predeceser. Now they literally are.

[quote name='Morpheus']I am sick of pokemon. Each new one is a rehash of the one before it. New mechanics or shiny new graphics simply don't make up for the fact that each sequel feels like a cut-and-paste of it's predeceser. Now they literally are.[/quote]

Pokemon Defender to the rescue!

Whether or not it is a cut-and paste, the game sells. And it's still one popular game, and if you look at it, they change more than the graphics. Each game actually changes in more ways than one, it always has innovations to change the experience.

If you would pick up one of the new games and actually try it, you would know that :o

But, that's just my opinion.