OtakuBoards

What do you think of Vampires

HOTpage2004

Like do you think they are cool, boring, gross, what? I think theyre pretty awesome. I could watch almost every vampire movie and fall in love with almost every one. Alot of them are better looking than the natural human. So whats your opinion?[COLOR=Black]black[/COLOR]

[color=red]Vampires, vampires, vampires.... I just watched Underworld the other day as a matter of fact! That is an awesome movie... so is Interview with a Vampire! Anyways...

I think it would be interesting if there were vampires in real life... what would it be like if people could live forever?? That would be a completely different world!

Also, a lot of males that are vampires in movies are extremely sexy... except for that they could kill you at any instant! :D [/color]

[COLOR=SeaGreen]There's nothing like sitting back and watching one of those good ol' Dracula movies. Actually, nevermind. Any vampire movie is great. I think vampires are extremely cool. And I love the [U]Cirque Du Freak[/U] books by Darren Shan, or whatever his real name was...[/COLOR]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
I think it's a painfully overdone idea. We have like 4 movies per year about vampires, not to mention a couple of shows, 200 video games, and 3 animes. Just considering movies, there's the recent Underworld, then Van Helsing... lessee... Blade 3 is coming out... then there's Ultraviolet... yeah stupid vampires. Sure, they're kinda cool, but if the current "vampire craze" keeps going then soon a [i]normal person[/i] will seem more interesting.

Sciros has got a point there. Despite the fact that vampires are pretty awesome, there's just too damn many... everything about them. The movies are only good if done well (witch is tough to do with most directors) the video games are generaly crappy, though a few have been good, and I haven't seen any of the vapire animes, so I can't say.

But as for the concept of vampires, it's not only kind of cool, but very fascinating. Of coarse, there's also that weird disease that makes people want to drink blood... or however it goes. But that's just... freaky. The best vampire characters, in my opinion, are the silent hero vampires... yeah....

[color=darkviolet]Uh, well, I role played as a vampire a few times, but other than that I don't think much of them.

I knew a girl who thought she was a vampire-or maybe she said she was a vampire. Anyway, she was also a clinging vine chick who wanted to sleep with me. So not only did I think she was a bit off the wall, I thought I wanted her to leave me be for a while becuase she didn't quite get the hint that even if I didn't midn she was [i]that[/i] way I didn't like her [i]that[/i] way and even if I did go that way she wasn't my type. I got rid of her at the end of the summer because Lincoln came back from Korea. She was too creepy by then, she even tried to take riding lessons because I did.

So there's my take on vampires in a nutcase...I mean shell[/color]

But I do agree with ScirosDarkblade and FirePheonix727 that right now it seems like the vampire theme is getting to be overplayed. I have always enjoyed watching a good vampire story.

Interview with a Vampire was one of the better ones in recent history. The storyline wasn't just a generic "Dracula" story. Many time it seems like vampire stories are just variations of that theme. I think the idea of vampires being among us is an interesting one. I remember watching "Lost Boys" back in the 80's when it came out and deciding that if I were given the choice to "join the undead" I wouldn't do it. lol

Give me a great vampire story anyday, just not a bunch of crappy ones everyday.

[size=1][color=darkred]Err. Something here strikes me as being real funny. You're saying that "Alot of them are better looking than the natural human.", "a lot of males that are vampires in movies are extremely sexy" and stuff. But, newsflash, duh. They're played by actors. Meaning that they're not real vampires, and the actors are human. Making the humans sexy. And the only, only reason vampires are portrayed as sexy is because they're supposed to be sexy and seductive. I mean, who ever heard of an ugly vampire?

What do I think of them? An old myth which people love to hear about on the movies.[/size][/color]

[QUOTE= Baron Samedi]I mean, who ever heard of an ugly vampire?
[/QUOTE]

Nosferatu by F. W. Murnau that came out in 1922 had a leading male that was far from the good looking actor "vampires" of today. The film was silent and the film maker was actually sued by Bram Stoker's widow when it came out.

Definately not the vampire image we have today. Oh what a hottie!

[QUOTE=Baron Samedi][size=1][color=darkred] I mean, who ever heard of an ugly vampire?
[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet]You've gotta love the ugly vampire role. It's a break from the norm

They have ugly vampires like that in Vampier the Masquerade. I guess that's the race of vampire they're called. My husband the G.M turned that one guy into one or made him look like he was beat to death by an ugly stick when we played last.

Oh, and the girl I was talking about who thought she was a vampire well...she wasn't all that hot either. Of course she was probably human, but if you put her in the nut house she'd play vampire with the best of them :laugh:

Yeah, I think this had something to do with the post.[/color]

While I agree that the vampire theme is a bit too common, I have to admit that a quality book/movie/etc. about vampires gets my attention. The whole concept of vampires is awesome, and you can go a thousand different ways with it. Tortured soul, purely evil, misunderstood hero ... you can change vampire mythology, make up where vampires came from ... there's just so many things you can do with it. Some don't sound ver appealing, but some are so interesting you can think about the philosophies, etc. for days. It's a really cool way to explore a ton of themes.

The idea of vampires is VERY cool, in my opinion, makes for some great characters, stories and legends, but the thing that just makes me shake my head are people who think they are vampires.

I have a friend who knows a guy who honestly believes he has bloodlust. He says things like "I'm serious, I hvae to wear sunblock and glasses outside and it still hurts like hell". :laugh: Its just ridiculous, I told my buddy to tell him he's got a friend who thinks hes a righteous vampire slayer and that I'd be lookin for him with a holy vengeance if he doesnt STFU and grow up lmao. Its bloody ridiculous its as if these kids think they're some how malicious or supremely gothic if they claim that they are bloodsuckers. It makes you so evil doesnt it? lol

I dunno, I can't say much for those sorta fools cept just safely label them as 'human wastelands' cuz that basically sums them up.

Heheh, Vampires. I actually ran a Vampire the Masquerade game on OB (or tried to ) a while back. I still play it with my friends. There?s something especially lurid and sexual about a Vampire that makes it more ?. Interesting than, say, the Wolfman. Playing a vampire in a roleplaying game is always fun. Yet, as Chibi has already mentioned, you will meet some VERY weird people when messing around Vampire lore. People DO become so obsessed with vampires that they will cut themselves, cut you, or try to bite you? funny until someone?s admitted to the ER with their corotid artery cut and passing into cardiac arrest from blood loss.

As for good vampire movies: the best is by far "Interview With a Vampire". Which leads to my next point, Anne Rice. Anne Rice is the queen of goth/vampire reading material. Not that she is necessarily attempting to act as a keystone to that particularly angsty community. She just writes very, very well. I?ve read all her work, and not one book has really let me down.

I love the movie Under world it's great ,Selean is sweet in that movie . I think vampires are cool.I would love to have imortal life,to be alone that is the way I like it yeah i might have a lot of frinds but solitude is what I would give my soul to the devil 4......... you know just to be imortal with complete alone time 4 ever....... but you heard my opinion and thats it.... your fellow board member:lita

[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]Vampires are...boring.

Every take on them's been done. Good, bad, childlike, stoic...you could go on forever about types of vampires.

There's only a certain degree of creativity you can achieve when dealing with something so painfully overused. : /

I prefer witches, when it comes to that kind of thing (sort of different, but hey).

And no offence to Chibbi and others...I mean stereotypical witches. XP[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=DarkRed]
Well, I think vampires are quite overdone :sleep: , as many have mentioned here. I believe that we have too much dealing with vampires, But an actual good movie or RPG once in a while will suffice. :D
In genral, they are so darn predicable. :sleep: You can almost always figure them out no matter what role they play. As Godelsensei said : [QUOTE]There's only a certain degree of creativity you can achieve when dealing with something so pain fully overused. : /[/QUOTE] and I certainly agree.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=darkviolet]I think the safest way to have a vampire is in an RPG. That way they stay fresher longer.

I also have to agree with Godel about the witches. Yes, I know that they're all stereotypes, but Bette Midler was really funny in Hocus Pocus :laugh:
Could they be the new vampire?

Or what about demons. People have been bringing up demons into a new light recently. *cough* InuYasha *cough* With demons you can go anywhere from Shippo to Princess Mononoke (sorry, can't remember the angry demon)

Yes, slowly Witches and Demons are slowly becomming the [i]'new'[/i] vampire.

Okay, question, is the Count from Seseme street a vampire? Yes or no?[/color]

I think vampires are insanely cool. Of course, if I ever met one in real life id probly freak out. I remeber when I was 3 or 4 that i had a dream that me and my mom were being held captive by a vampire in this huge mansion and my dad and my sister were trying to resuce us. I ran down to greet them and rolled down a bunch of stairs. I only stoped rolling when I hitthis coffin, the dorr opened and the vampire was in there. I woke up right before he went to sick me. Youd think that woudl traumatize me for life but more often then not I'm a witch ro a vampire for halloween. I guess You could save i was somewhat obsessed with vampires when I was little. Maybe thats why im overly morbid.....

:wigout:

[I][FONT=Book Antiqua]I love vampire lore and mythology. I just find it very appealing to me. I know alot on it or well enough to write a whole essay. I also get into modern day vampires such as your Sangs and Psys. Very interesting stuff you can here about expecially "The Black Veil" etc... Very appealing. Anyway if anyone likes to chat about them please feel free to pm me.[/FONT][/I] :D

[COLOR=DarkRed]Vampires are cool. Unless they're real. Then I'm going to buy a gun with garlic bullets. I personally feel that vampires are (I know) greatly overdone. But they're still cool. They just need a new twist. On Blade II, they tried. It just never caught on. I like the idea from Star Wars. The Star Wars vampires are called Anzati and hypnotize you, then suck out your brain through tentacles that retract through their cheeks. It's different. Vampires just need something new and different.[/COLOR]

I personally find vampires quite mesmerizing. But thats just me, and compared to everyone elese I'm weird. LOL I belive the reason I've come to like them so much is because my mum plays Vampire The Masquerade (VTM). My mum was always talking to my aunt about all these cool characters. Call me nosey but I always listened to my mum's conversations when they delt with VTM. My dream scince I was little was to play as a gangrel or a malkavian. A lot of people online always said that I was most like a gangrel and I eventually went so far as to get a thing for my bike that says gangrel on it. LOL What can I say I'm weird(no wonder I don't have any freinds). Anyway ever scince it's become like an obssesion. When I'm reading a vampire book by Anne Rice or something I forget about the painful wold around me.

I geuss in the end, vampires are my bridge to escaping reality. :laugh: Yeah, I know, I'm weird...

[QUOTE=Maddox]I can't stand vampires and people who claim to be them. If there are real vampires, then there should be real vampire hunters. I don't have a beef with Mr. Tepes because I think we can all agree that impaling 20,000 people on stakes as a negotiating tactic is sufficiently awesome. What I have a problem with are these 14 year old losers who hang out at raves wearing prosthetic fangs, listening to obnoxious happy-hardcore dancing with giant platform shoes (courtesy of "Hot Topic," because all vampires shop at trendy clothing stores for their pre-packaged sub-culture needs). When they're not busy doing the dishes for their allowance, they're out doing evil things like smoking, staying up past curfew, or reading books on the occult at Barnes & Noble. They join little "sanguinarian" clubs and they change their names to something adequately evil like Raven, Ivy or Memnoch.

These are the same people who say they laugh during dramas when someone gets killed. We all know a person like this, they think they're morbid and mysterious because they force out a contrived chuckle during a death scene. Oooh, you laughed during a murder, you're so unique and evil. The fact that the number of members in these stupid clubs surge every time a new "Blade" movie comes out eludes them. Who has time for things like facts and responsibility when you're busy "feeding" yourself by having orgies that give you magical powers? Idiots. [/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial Narrow]That article from Maddox pretty much sums up my thoughts on people who claim to be vampires. It truly is a stupid person who cuts themself so someone else (or themself) can suck out the stuff that keeps them living.

Apart from that the tragically romantic vampires from The Vampire Chronicles appeal to me the most. They are so full of heart and raw emotion that it makes me shudder whenever I read one of the books. And Meier Link from Vamp. Hunter D is pretty awesome too.

~CrH~[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]