OtakuBoards

FLCL [Fooly Cooly]

Xra

Now, I'm not sure if this has been found before so, well here it goes. I was watching FLCL the other day and i noticed something. It is in episode 3 when the teacher's car gets destroyed. In the wreckage, there is a doll of what looks like Kenny from South Park. I was just wondering if anyone else has found this. Correct me if i am wrong but, FLCL uses a couple of south park references. For example, when Naota is flattered by Mamimi, he doesnt have a nose or mouth, just eyes under a hooded sweatshirt like Kenny. Also, this one i guess is much more obvious, when Amarao is getting his hair cut, the animators used the South Park animation method. I thought this was kind of cool so i decided to post it here.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=DarkRed]Yeah there are many references to American (And probably various Japanese) pop culture icons in FLCL. I found it quite amusing as well. I used to have an entire list of the references and parodies, I'm going to go look for it. :D

But yeah, some people didn't exactly catch onto that the first time. I know I didn't.[/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
[COLOR=DarkRed]I'm sad to say that i've only just now (well last night) seen FLCL, and i can pretty much already say that it is my favorite anime yet. I loved the many art styles, all of which were very good, and appropriate for the moment. There are so many unique characters, all of which i end up loving. All of this plus the story, which when really looked at goes so very deep, and has one of the most powerful/meaningful storylines i've come accross. I'll have to watch it over tons of times to catch the easter eggs in there (all i caught on to was [SPOILER]when Haruko was mentioning bands like [B]Red Hot Chilli Peppers[/B], [B]Rage Against the Machine[/B], and [B]Jimi Hendrix[/B], when she was offering guitar lessons)[/SPOILER]. Well, also the obvious [B]South Park[/B] animation. My favorite character was deffinately Kanchi (the robot), though i loved them all.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Navy] yeah i must agree. FLCL is a very kewl anime. the art and the plot of the story is very good. I haven't seen the anime in a while but i must say its pretty kewl. But what I really want to know is there going to be any more new eps?

BlackTigerGurl :catgirl: [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]I doubt that they'll add any episodes to it. One thing i've come to realise while rewatching the series in Japanese, is that many of the pop-culture reffrences, and "easter eggs" as previously mentioned were actually added only in the English dubbing, to make some of the reffrences more understandable to an American audience. (The Pepsi/Van Halen reffrences, and the Hustler "audult books" reffrence are a couple that i caught.) In Japanese, the effect they were meant to have is the same, but they were originally reffrencing things from Japanese pop-culture, that most Americans wouldn't understand. I dont understand the Japanese versions reffrences, however the dubbed version is different, relaying the same message, but in a form Amerians, such as myself, can understand. There are still other things that were the same either way though, like the South Park animation.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkGreen][QUOTE=yunasgrace]Also does ANYONE know what Fooly Cooly mean?????
(also whats the deal with the eyebrows???)[/QUOTE]

I always thought that it was a translation of the japanese title: Furi Curi (I dont know much beyond that though. Its probably one of those things where the writing has some meaning but it can be interpreted in many ways, you know, something like that).

Well anyways, horray! A great anime indeed! When I first got it I thought that it would be dumb and funny cuz I heard that from people, but they had only seen a episode or two. I was also worried that it was 6 episodes long and how an anime could fit into 6 episodes. But my god, from the first episode I loved it!There is a lot more to the series than I thought there would be. I love the guitars being used as weapons.

EYEBROWS!!![/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]It's actually Furi Kuri in Japanese, though it was meant to be Fooly Cooly. Due to Japanese kanji and whatnot they ended up with what sounded like Furi Kuri because they have no "L" sound. That's just the direct translation though, not what the person was probably shooting for there. I think they meant what does it actually mean. in that case, i think you could have it mean many different things. Kimon says it as something that would lead you to believe it was something sexual, where Naota's Grandpa said it was something you do with your hands. What makes the most sense to me is the liknk that was previously given. It explains that it means to do something "cool", but your really a "fool" because it isn't like you. Well, something like that anyway.

You'd be suprised how much meaning everything in the series has. Even the eyebrows have a significant meaning to the story. Some of the things make more sense watching it in Japanese however, in its original form.[/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
Guest Tempus321
[font=Palatino Linotype][color=navy]I really like FLCL. It is just awsome. My favorite characters is Canti, Naota, and Haruko.[/color][/font]

Guest Sicone
I haven't seen it for a while but I think its great! I love the rndomness of it all.And its short too so you don't have to wait for a long time for the end.

Guest ouhokan
all i know is that there are only 6 eps. but it is an exelent anime
[QUOTE]Hello people, anyway, last night on Adult Swim, they primiered(sp) 2 Animes back to back. The second one was Blue Gender, which i knew well about, but the first one was a funny,confusing,annoying, and attactive anime called FLCL. After seeing the first episode, I still couldn't figure out what it was about, except a lovesick girl, an alien, and a kid with things popping out of his head. So, does anyone know more on this anime?[/quote]

Kanti is my favorite character. I like how he eats Naota, and gets super-powerful!!! But why do they call Naota Ta-Kun? I don't remember if they ever explained that... :animeshy:

P.S., The Pillows rock!!!! To the Extreme!!!! :flaming: :love: :demon:
I believe I made my point.

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=Tatsubei Yagyu]Kanti is my favorite character. I like how he eats Naota, and gets super-powerful!!! But why do they call Naota Ta-Kun? I don't remember if they ever explained that... :animeshy:

P.S., The Pillows rock!!!! To the Extreme!!!! :flaming: :love: :demon:
I believe I made my point.[/QUOTE]

Ditto...Kanti rocked, and was also my favorite character. XD

And I think they called Naota "Ta-Kun", 'cause I think Maimimi was missing her boyfriend, who is also Naota's brother...and she must call Naota by his brother's name for some reason of that nature.

Why The other characters do?...I guess they just follow along with Maimimi 'cause thats all they seem to hear her call Naota. XD

I heard that the 6 season of FLCL is already out in Japan on DVD

Ive only saw the first season of FLCL and thought it was boring when I saw the commercial on Adult swim but later on i saw it and ....... it ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
[SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]When I first saw FuriKuri "FLCL" I was sayin' to myself what kinda of crazy story plot is this. Then it dawned to me that it didn't matter because this ANIME is just one CRAZY, WACKEDOUT, AWESOME & HAS SOME FREAKIN' COOL ROCK MUSIC behind it played by Pillows, The.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

i saw one episode and i was really confused, all i remember is some girl hitting a kid in the head with a gitaur and then he had a lump on his head that a robot came out of, i saw the manga in stores and thought about picking it up, thinking it would help me understand ita lil better but my sis already read part of it and said it was pretty confusing so i figured the manga wasn't that muck better.

but other than the story, it was pretty good, i like the art, music, and the comedy. i'm thinking twice about picking up the manga if i get the chance. but i'll deffinitly keep an eye open for it on adult swim again, its a funny anime and even if i don't get it its still pretty funny. :animesmil

• 1 month later...
Guest Canti-chan
probbably my favourite anime of all time! I think it's the best new take on the whole "kids and giant robots" theme in a long time. there's something so fresh and new about FLCL that it stands way out from the pack. it's like the avant-garde ...if there is such a thing in anime.

FLCL is to Evangelion what Puni Puni Poemi is to Goddess.

i really must watch the series again.

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Well everybody knows that fooly cooly is one of the best animes that there has been in a long time. The one major problem with me is that its just to short. I mean you cant say that the visuals and the graphics in the anime arnt anything but fabolus. I just always wished that there were more episodes thats all. In te end isnt that what we all want?[/COLOR]

[color=#cc0000][size=2][font=Times New Roman]^ I disagree, personally. I mean, I really can't think of what much else could have been added. I think six episodes summed the anime up quite fine. (But if you just mean that you wished the series wasn't over because you loved it so much... ain't that what we think of all anime? ^.^)

FLCL's probably one of my favorite anime. Everything about it was ingenious... the music, the animation, the characters (hilarious), the plot... all very original and interesting. I love it.

Lots of people abandon this anime right off the bat because they watch the first episode or two and say, "WTH, I don't get it" and give up on it. It's just one of those anime that isn't supposed to make sense. I mean, if the other million viewers of FLCL don't understand the series, then chances are, neither will you.

But like I said, one of my favorites.[/color][/size][/font]

[COLOR=Blue]FLCL is definately the most [I]hilarious[/I] anime I've seen, I mean, who wouldn't like an anime about [spoiler]a boy named Naota who goes through all of these down-right funny beat-downs with a deranged housekeeper/alien named Haruko(Roharu) who beats him and these strange contraptions with a guitar and crashes at least 15 different ways on an electric bike, not to mention the things coming out of Naota's head.[/spoiler] Whoo... I'm done now. :animeswea
Even though it is great, it's not [I]the[/I] best I've seen. Fullmetal Alchemist kind of takes the cake there.[/COLOR]