OtakuBoards

FLCL [Fooly Cooly]

Xra

It's um..here...

Once in a while, but not very often, a show can reach into our dull Mitsubishi commercial-watching lives, grab our inner being and wrench it free, holding it above our body long enough for us to absorb its message, which in this case is, "What the ******* am I watching and why is the world not like this?"

Limited only by your imagination. The more Fooli Cooli you watch the better it gets. An odyssey? Maybe, but its more likely a reason to mess with us and entertain us all at the same time.

Don't get it? Me ether.......

[COLOR=chocolate]This theard might get closed because theres already one just like it.[/COLOR]

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its actually very entertaining. i mean sure it doesn't make sense, but look at abstract painting. most of it don't make sense, but its tied to a somehow relevant subject in our world. and flcl does just that, atleast i think.
If you think watching the whole thing might give you a better understanding, then maybe it will. haha. its all how you respond to it. and personally i think it rocks.

Heh, now that I've seen the entire series...

The series really does make all the sense in the world, once you've seen it all the way through. I mean, you know who is who and why they do what they do.. For the most part. Everything else you can sorta just piece together... Such as the eyebrow man's relationship with Haruko.. And some things are just there for humor, like Kanti's.. Removing Naota and the guitars used as weapons.. ^_^ It's not [i]that[/i] weird.. Excel Saga is sorta stranger...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by OtakuSennen [/i]
[B]Excel Saga is sorta stranger... [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorta stranger? When it comes to weirdness, Excel Saga runs laps around FLCL, which is good, but highly over-rated.

I think FLCL was just an attempt to make a new/hip anime, that would appeal to todays generation. That would explain all the pop culture references and parodies.

Excel Saga also had such things, but on a much broader scale.

But thats just my opinion.:D

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Jingthebandit [/i]
[B]isn't it about a girl who searches for a alien on earth with the help of a boy with stuff coming out of his head.

i think flcl had to much funny and strange things in the first episode.
can i join anyones buddy list [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I'm sorry, but you really need to clean up your post quality and not spam. Try to put more thought and effort into what you are trying to say. ALSO, double posting is against the rules, so I put your two posts together. Hope this helps.[/color][/size]

Guest Shawdow Caster
has anyone notice the refrence to the u.s? i mean the granpa want the hustler mag with the anna nicloe smith lay out and the alien gilr has a class to teach the guitar to kids say stuff like you can be like kiss or aerosmith. i mean do you wonder if other anime show have been tamperd with like that

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by black_Snake [/i]
[B]I watch it 2 times a day!!!!!!!!!!! i didn't like blue gender that much:) [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I'm sorry, but that post was complete spam. Please observe the rules that are posted in the Information Forum. Also, the images in your signiture are COMPLETELY too big and are also against the rules.[/color][/size]

As we all know, FLCL aka Fooly Cooly was a very, very confusing anime that many never understood. But i think i have finally deciffered it. First i will explain the whole Atamisk/ Haruko thing. then i will explain the hidden message in the anime. (the good kind of hidden message.)

Frist things first. This is how it goes down. [spoiler] Kanti is part of the termenal core of the Medical Mechanica plant, and Haruko used her brain transport thin with Naota to take him out, since he was a part of Atamisk. Then we found that Naota could fuse with KAnti, which means that Atamisk and Naota most likely share the same soul. Seeing how he gained that amount of power in FLClimax. And that Haruko didn't love Atamisk, himself, but rather his power that she loved and she wanted to posses it. this all may seem confusing, just try to read it better. [/spoiler]

Now for the hidden stuff. FLCL aka Fooly Cooly has a very strange and confusing outer appearence, but if you really apy attention and think on it, you can understand the real message there trying to get threw.

[spoiler]FLCL is actually, as corny as this may seem, a coming of age story, reoresenting all adolecent males.
Naota is a young, adolscent male who has a girl who is into him. he never gave this a second thought, but threw the series, you seem him go from not giving grils a second thought to being obsessed with them. Then comes Haruko, which Noata also falls in love with becasue of her beuty and the fact that she is the only person who understands his "problem".

Now Noata is confused. He doen't know who to fall for. The older alluring, and undrstanding Haruko, or Mamimi, who has seemed to been with him the whole time.

then in Brittle Bullets, Naota feels rejection as he tries to express his love for Mamimi, which he thinks is okay, but he truly doesn't understand the process of love, so he is yet again, confused and he feels rejected. In that same episode, AHruko shows that she loves Atamisk, which further confuses him and makes him feel rejected.

And as it all wraps up, Naota loses both girls that he loved. All with a much better concept of the world and a leson learnt on romance.[/spoiler] Wow, i'm a total loser to have thought of this thread.

Do any of you OBers have any kind of thoughts on my theory or your own theory?

Guest Anime_Forever
Sorry DBD your off by a longshot. GO TO ANIMEDAT.COM it has the story behind FLCL and youll never believe how easy it fits together...

Well, technically, DBD, a lot of that is what I've thought.. In fact, apart from the Kanti thing, that's almost a direct thought from my brain.

However, [spoiler]You know, he doesn't lose ALL his options. He seems to have pretty strong feelings for Ninamori as well.. She didn't go anywhere. 'Course, it's not AS strong as he had for Haruko or Mamimi, but there is lotsa room to grow emotionally. [/spoiler]

FLCL Explined by Zwackus on AdultSwim.com boards (giving credit where its due)

I have seen many people, both on this board and on various web sites, complain that FLCL does not make sense. I happen to disagree. It makes a good deal of sense, and has a very coherent plot which I shall attempt to explain.
Making sense of it all demands that you first realize that although Naota is the protagonist, in that he has the most face time and it is he who we understand and sympathize most with, he is not the main character. For the most part, Naota reacts to what is going on around him, and the main character in any story is the one who acts. The person driving the story is the guitar-wielding maniac, Haruhara Haruko, and it is easiest to understand the plot of FLCL from her perspective.

Haruko is an alien, and a member of the Galaxy Police. She has come to Earth in search of the Pirate King, Lord Atomsk. He is an astral being, an entity of pure spirit. As such, he and all of his power can be contained or embodied within other people or objects. Haruko wants to consume Lord Atomsk and thereby gain his powers. Perhaps most important of these powers is his ?NO?, his ability to instantly transport objects with his mind from any distance. NO seems to operate like a radio signal, where the brain is the receiver and objects are the signal. It also seems rather closely tied to the emotional state of the receiver?s brain ? more on this later.

Haruko has no NO of her own, but she is able to open NO channels in others by hitting them in the head with her guitar, often accompanied with the words ?Furi Kuri.? This seems to ?tune? their head in to a particular signal or channel. Sometimes it can take a while for the channel to open (Naota?s various robots seemed to gestate for days), while other times it will open almost immediately (the mini-guitar of Amarao). This seems to vary depending upon the size of the object brought through. Haruko hoped to use Naota?s NO to open a channel through which she could summon Lord Atomsk, who had been imprisoned by Medical Mechanica, (MM).

MM is an alien organization of some sort, who manufacture hand-shaped robots and hope to flatten all thinking in the galaxy. Presumably, natural thought bothers them in some basic way. They do this flattening with giant irons, wielded by the giant hand-shaped robots. One such giant iron was placed on Earth. Its purpose in Mabase is never made clear, nor is the relationship between MM and the Earth. The government (at least as represented by Amarao) seems to hope that if they appease MM, they will be left alone.

When Haruko first meets Naota, she hopes that his NO will be able to summon Lord Atomsk immediately. At the end of the first episode, he does. Atomsk, contained within the body of the robot which will later be dubbed Lord Kanti, emerges from Naota?s head. The first of the hand-robots also emerged, presumably brought through as it attempted to hold Atomsk down. Although Atomsk/Kanti easily defeated the hand robot, Haruko did not realize that Atomsk is contained within Lord Kanti, and thus subdues him with her guitar. Lord Canti survives, but Atomsk disappeared, symbolized by the Kanti?s change from red to blue/gray.

Continue....