OtakuBoards

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3

BlueYoshi

[color=teal]There was a lot of Toriyama character design bashing in the Chrono Trigger thread so I stumbled across this and thought I'd post it up. This year, Atari have promised to give us three new DBZ titles ranging from both the PS2 and GBA. I'll run down each one separately below.

First up is DBZ: Supersonic Warriors. I put the search function to use and found that Charles has already said what needs saying about this one, so I'll mainly be talking about the other two.[/color] [url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=34558&highlight=budokai][u]Click here[/u][/url] [color=teal]to read the thread.

Atari's second piece, DBZ: Buu's Fury, is also for the GBA. Still under Webfoot?s development, Buu's Fury is an RPG that takes the Z warriors through the dramatic incident of the Buu saga, call it The Legacy of Goku 3 if you must. However, you may want to hold your criticisms for now as new combos, moves, battle system, and fusions sound promising from various other previews. Obviously, we can't expect much from a small 2D RPG, but it will be interesting to see how Webfoot combine these new features together, especially in the role-playing format.

Last but hopefully not least :rolleyes:, Budokai 3. Very little has been said about this one, but this should be Atari's crème de la crème, probably not in terms of game play at all, but definitely under the fan-basis. I have no idea how they'll go about this, Budokai 2 took us to DBZ's limit in the Buu saga and pretty much put almost every DBZ character to use in the versus mode--plus some new 'made-up' fusions. It'd be great to see a new storyline overall though, maybe one relating to one of the movies?

Regarding graphics and visual designs... nothing yet. I'd prefer to see Budokai 3 cel-shaded in a more polished form as I was rather contemptuous towards the plain, serious-looking graphics displayed in the first game, though by all means that doesn?t solemnly affect the state of the game in total.

All in all, this info is about a month old, so the good news is that it shouldn't be too long before we receive the next scoop on the upcoming DBZ games.[/color]

Guest Z fighter
There is also Dragonball Z - Ultimate battle 22 for the PS2 and the PSX, Im not sure if its come out yet, but I dont think so

I was released on PSX a while ago. It didn't really have wide circulation though. A friend of mine played it and said it was average. I believe that there was also another game named 'Dragonball Z: Legends' that was supposed to be confirmed for Dreamcast and PS2, but that could've become DBZ Budokai.

• 3 weeks later...
[color=teal]Two new screens. No GT characters so far, but it looks like King Kold and Brolly are definitely in. So yeah, I suppose we can expect more than just those from the series.[/color]

[img]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/920505_20040624_screen001.jpg[/img]

[img]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/920505_20040624_screen002.jpg[/img]

[color=teal]I really like the cel-shade in this one; it looks really crisp and captures the essence of the actual characters from the movies/series very well. I'm not expecting the world here, in terms of a profound fighter that is, but on a fan base scale Budokai 3 looks like its doing well for itself.

One issue that I'd raise though is whether or not they'll bring back [spoiler]dead[/spoiler] characters such as Zarbon or Dabura. Honestly, it would be stupid if they reappeared to the scene in place of other potentially new ones, it'll just be a waste. Other than that, I can't wait to see where Dimps go with the Fusions and whatnot, heh, they were frustratingly fun in Budokai 2. ^_^[/color]

[color=darkred][size=1]Actually, I think thats Cooler (Or Koola...whatever), not King Kold.

The cel-shaded look does fit the series very nicely...but I've never actually played a Budokai game yet, so I'll reserve my judgement.

And, hey, when do we get a Hyper Dimension port on the GBA? C'mon guys, get cracki'n...

--Chris

EDIT--

Just checked my VHS cover and, yeah, thats definatly Cooler in his final form. Check it out in DBZ Movie 5. We American's got it as "Cooler's Revenge" but I'll leave the Japanese version info to one who knows more than I.[/color][/size]

[color=teal]I wasn't expecting movie characters at all, so that came as a surprise to me. Hopefully though, they won't be there just for the sake of multiplayer, but to have some correlation with the story. It was great how Budokai 2 had a different story and at the same time managed to keep it in tact with the TV show without a trace or hint of spoilers -- that would really snuff out FUNimation's plans. Seeing Brolly, Bardock, Kooler, Golden Oozaru, etc blend in together would really appeal to fans of the original series.

All being well, there should be some character depth. Not in terms of the overall chemistry it runs on, but in a more concentrated approach; more trademark moves for [i]each[/i] character would be nice, rather than the typical Kamehameha that the Son Goku lineage all tend to carry. Budokai 2 picked up on that quite well.[/color]

EDIT: It is Kooler. That's the form that precedes his final one though. Look at [url=http://www.myfavoritegames.com/dragonball-z/Info/Transformations/Transformations-Cooler.htm][u]this link[/u][/url] for the order of his transformations. Yeah I know it's not his true final form, but let's refrain from discussing that. :)

Guest heero13
This game is coming out to let u play with movie carexters like brloy cooler.Why dont they go in the future and put all the good caraxters in.

I merged this thread with the existing DBZ Line-Up thread. Next time, check to make sure that your thread is in the right place and that you are making a thread that's dealing with something that's not already being discussed in another thread.

Also, Burori, I know that you meant well, but all you have to do is report the thread and nothing else. Replying to a thread and pointing out what's wrong with it is pretty hypocritical, as that in itself creates more problems with the thread.

I agree. I feel to make it more fun they should add the characters from Dragonball GT: Final Bout. It was fun using them for sure. Adding a large variety would boast the effects of wanting to play it more. I know I would buy it if Burori was in it lol. As long as the smoothness and graphics exceed M.U.G.E.N. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Budakai 2 came out very successful and I hope they continue the legacy being a hardcore fan and such =P

[quote name='Burori']I agree. I feel to make it more fun they should add the characters from Dragonball GT: Final Bout. It was fun using them for sure. Adding a large variety would boast the effects of wanting to play it more. I know I would buy it if Burori was in it lol. As long as the smoothness and graphics exceed M.U.G.E.N. I would buy it in a heartbeat.[/quote]

[color=teal]That would most probably be apart of Atari's line-up plan. The title of the game states that it's a Dragonball Z game, so it's only liable that you'd see DBZ characters. I'm infatuated by Budokai 3 because it has this huge burden hanging over itself that must enforce it to deliver... it would be plain ridiculous if Atari continued the series any further until every nook and crammy has been covered -- Budokai 3 is where it should stop as far as DBZ goes.

From a more high-minded point of view, I guess I'm grateful enough that the games have been neatly branched out to show off their major potential. A messy image like that of Final Bout wouldn't help its esteem very much and buyers would eventually get put off by its sloppiness and lack of commitment. I know where you're all coming from; nobody could care less for the game's input, it's just generally a question of whether or not your favourite character is in it.[/color]

Guest gUnGrAvE 67
budakai 3 is based on the dbz movies that have come out. There might not be any GT characters appering. Ill find out more.

• 3 months later...
I was reading in an issue of a game magazine, either EGM or GI, and I spotted a large article on an upcoming game in the DB series: Dragonball Z: Budokai 3. Set to come out November 23rd, this installment of the series as tooken the most awesome parts of the first 2 games and genetically altered them and fused them together to create a game thart would blow most non-DBZ fans out of their seats, not for the shear fact that its a fighting game, but even some non-DBZ fans would want to pick up a PS2 controller and play it due to the graphics, various modes and the gameplay itself.

[U]Graphics[/U]
From what I seen, B3 still goes along with cell shading from B2, but jumps ahead further. The backgrounds are not just things to look at anymore. They can be used to your advantage, not just to slam your opponent into, either. And, not to mention the energy attacks and the transformations! Just like in B1 and B2, whenever you go to use a simple PPPPE or >E (Punch X4 then Energy and Forward Energy), the area becomes dark. But, this time, you see more sparks, electricity and more fun stuff than in the first 2 installments.

[U]Game Play[/U]
This game should have a good gameplay engine. Some new skills put into this game are: Teleporting, Counter-Blasts, and even though its for Brolly (Burouri) only, he can JUMP! But, they also use the same side dodging, running, and back jumping, but there is a catch: it takes ki. And blocking all the time won?t work anymore. It will fatigue you to the point where your opponent can get in ANY attack they want.

Then, there is the third installment in the Precurser Legacy series, Jak 3. No article was on the game, but by previous ?Sneak Preview? articles and ads, this game will be everything the first two games and more than that! It is supposed to take place 1 or 2 years after Jak 2. Jak has been banished from Haven City along with Daxter. Therefore, you have to play as Jak and clear his name. What he did, I don?t know.
The play time for Daxter has increased as well from the second game. Along with new Light Jak powers, new vehicles, and a twisting story line, I?d say this game is worth getting.

Well, that?s all I know about these two games. If the old saying, ?Third times a charm?, then both third installments will do greater than the previous ones can ever do. If you have any more info on these two games, post it.

~Venge~

[color=#4B0082]Right, seeing as there's now separate threads for both [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=42567][u]Buu's Fury[/u][/url] and [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=41170][u]Supersonic Warriors[/u][/url], I figured this thread could just be used for discussing Budokai 3. Makes things easier to manage that way.

So, I've merged your thread with this one, Venge. And if you'd like to talk about Jak 3, please make a separate thread about it. I've looked around and I can't find any previously existing ones, so the floor's open.[/color]

[quote name='Morpheus']Legends was a japan only 2-d rpg for ps1.[/quote]
\

Dragonball Z Legends was also a game made for Gameboy Color it was a one player RPG but get this a Card Game that went Through the Buu Saga I think it was Dragonball Z:Super Saiyan Legends it was a great game even though the card game format got kind of annoying.

What they want to do is catch the GBA version up with the system versions like DBZ 2 on PS2 went were the GBA hadn't so they had to slow it down so on Budakoui 3 to catch the DBZ GBA games up they made the new DBZ platform game about the movies.

Soon when the GT series over they will have a GT game until then they can't make it.

There won't be much reason to bother with this one unless you're a [b]hardcore [/b]fan. At this point in the life cycle of the current generation of consoles, the gameplay engine behind this franchise is really suffering in comparison to the plethora of quality games literally saturating the holiday market. The first title had potential but the second proved to me that the developers aren't very ambitious in terms of remedying the limited direction of the fighting. Sure, fans such as myself can appreciate the animation behind the special moves, but the dial-up method of performing them and their cinematic nature become boring rather quickly.

Again, don't bother unless you're a rabid fan of the series or are just interested in wasting money on the same old tripe.

Actually, Chuck, this installment looks to have more promise than the first. The graphics are better than ever, there are more ways to lay the smackdown, and there's Brolli [And I swear, the next time someone spells it Broly or Brolly, they gonna get served.] to make things interesting. The teleport and the constant draining of energy gives us some depth. We can finally dash backwards instead of that lame-*** hop, and it seems, from what I've heard, the "mass destruction" scene changes are back. Of course, the damage could be more progressive [getting hit with a Final Flash and your clothes get all torn up, you bleed some more], the standard ki blasts could be changed and more adaptive, although it looks like you can do four-shot barrages now.

The game has ability, I just wish they would make the move executions a little more complicated and not as rigid. Sure, it's [i]mostly[/i] a kid's game, but eh. Kids today are smart. In any case, Charlie my man, you're gonna have to get Budokai 3, so you can fight my radically and insanely strong Brolli.

That, people, is another new feature. Budokai 3 features a sort of RPG point system. You can either accomplish parts of the story mode to gain points or play in Dragon Arena, which pits you against different levels of difficulty [COM] with various characters. The harder the opponent, the more points. The points stick around for as long as you have your file, I believe. If I remember correctly, they are Health, Ki, Strength, Defense, Ability, and COM.

Remember in how Budokai 2, Furiza and Buu had blue and purple bars? Raise your Health stat enough, and you can too. In Budokai 3, the ki bars are not the same size. The more you pump in your Ki stat, the longer the bars become, and the slower those longer bars deplete, substaining your transformations that much longer. Strength and Defense are "dur" simple. More strength and your attacks do more damage. More defense, the better you can absorb hits. Ability, I do reckon, speeds up your attacks, lessens the depletion of ki when you use special attacks. COM is your character's AI.

This comes into play when you leave the edit stat portion. It gives you a code. You give that code to a friend. They go to Dragon Arena. They enter the code. They basically fight you. The higher the COM stat, the harder your character will be. Not exactly online, but hey, a nice feature.

The new fighting system, the Saiya-jin Overdrive Fighting System, actually records, somewhat, your common techniques. If you use your Death-type moves [Kamehamehas, Destructive Wave, Galick Gun] a lot, so will your COM. If you are a defensive type that shifts and dodges a lot, your COM will be hopping like a fool on fire.

Budokai 3 has no truly monumental changes, but it does have some noticable differences from the other installments. It also has enough subtle changes to keep it relatively fresh for a good reach of time.

Don't get me started on the uuber-cool beam battles, either...

Okay, found a picture [in English] for the stat system;

[url]http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/dragonballzbudokai3/screens.html?page=60[/url]

I think Arts affects your physical moves like I said above. Ability probably changes the use of ki, or something. *shrug*

Either way, I'm down with this game.

Kakarot gonna get his *** stomped by the Legendary Super Saiya-jin. **** ain't been this good since the Butouden series.

[quote name='Chaos]Actually, Chuck, this installment looks to have more promise than the first. The graphics are better than ever, there are more ways to lay the smackdown, and there's Brolli [And I swear, the next time someone spells it Broly or Brolly, they gonna get served.] to make things interesting. The teleport and the constant draining of energy gives us some depth. We can finally dash backwards instead of that lame-*** hop, and it seems, from what I've heard, the "mass destruction" scene changes are back. Of course, the damage could be more progressive [getting hit with a Final Flash and your clothes get all torn up, you bleed some more'], the standard ki blasts could be changed and more adaptive, although it looks like you can do four-shot barrages now.[/quote]
The so-called "improvements" you're offering as examples are very mundane. New characters. [i]Slightly[/i] (notice the emphasis on the word "slightly") refined graphics. Inconsequential new techniques that will do little to remedy the lack of depth in the move lists themselves. New background cinematics. It's just all run-of-the-mill, standard fare you'd expect to see. I'm not a huge fan of the genre myself, but if you look at the current market of fighters you'll notice that these minor tweaks just aren't enough to compete. They just pale in comparison to the excellent online play we're beginning to see and unique new directions other games are starting to take. This wouldn't be such a problem if the engine itself was even in their league to begin with.

And I have news for you. Broll[i]y[/i] will play identically to every other character--only with different special abilities. That's the way this series has always been. Too awkward and straightforward for my tastes.[size=2]
[/size]
[quote]The game has ability, I just wish they would make the move executions a little more complicated and not as rigid. Sure, it's [i]mostly[/i] a kid's game, but eh. Kids today are smart. In any case, Charlie my man, you're gonna have to get Budokai 3, so you can fight my radically and insanely strong Brolli.[/quote]
I'd rather you chose a game with real online play if you really want to get me interested. Let's face it--the original Virtua Fighter 4 already implemented a feature like the one you go on to describe--and how long ago was that? haha

I'll bet you that it's more representative of a person's technique too, considering how these DBZ fighters are strictly button mashers that require little skill.

You're obviously a huge fan so of course it's easy for you to warm up to this game and I won't try to convince you otherwise. I on the other hand, having already picked up the new Paper Mario and GTA (with other games like Halo and MGS3 on the horizon) would rather forego something like DBZ for the new Metroid if I just [i]had[/i] to have another game.