OtakuBoards

Tattoos, piercings, body mods

[color=darkviolet]With the topics up concerning what attracts you to the opposite (or same) sex I figured I'd have to ask this question about people's opinions on this subject. Also, if anyone has considered getting a tattoo or a piercing other than the normal place. Or even considered putting teflon slots under your skin.

As for me well, I'm inked already as well as pierced. I have a small tattoo on my left shoulderblade which is the japanese character for equestrian. I had my eyebrow pierced, but then I had to take the bar out then I lost it so I can't get it re done until after I have Abby in September. I'm also thinking of getting a Marilyn (not too seriously tho) which is a piercing above your upper lip. People who know me may think that's a strange consideration since I think nose rings-especially those bull rings are so stupid looking.

I like tattoos on people as long as they're not tacky, or there are too many. I like creative ones or ones for people's children.

My mother-in-law is a prime example of too many and too tacky. She has 15 of them and 14 of them are on her arms. The 15 is on her lower abdomen (c'mon she's 52 almost 53 who wants to see that?) it's this big Harley Davidson symbol and it's lopsided. The only decent one she has is the two hearts with her sons' names in them.

My husband has six, he said he'll get his seventh when he comes home in September. He's trying to make some kind of design around our daughter's name. Lincoln also has a tongue ring and is thinking of getting his nipples re-pierced (a friend of his did them in Korea, but he had to take them out for PT)

As for body mods like teflon implants don't get me started. Why would you want your skin to be all bumpy and wierd looking? I knew this one guy who had them in his neck ug that was just so wrong. THen those people who get their tongues split so they can be the next lizard man...okay who forgot to give them medication?

well, there's my opinion. Next please?[/color]

I'm deathly afraid of needles, so I dont see myself getting any peircings or tattoos in my future. But if I wasnt such a chicken, i'd get my ears pierced- lobes and cartiladge and my nose pierced-like a stud in my nose.

Instead of tattoos, I do henna tattoos on myself. They're temporary, painless and fairly simple to do. I've done several designs on myself- usually flowery designs.

I think tattoos are cool. Depending on how its done. Some people get tattoos because they are popular, like the nautical stars, doves ect.ect. They just go and pick somthing off a wall, not putting much thought into it. They dont think about how they will have to live with this on their body for the rest of their life. I really respect the people who make their own designs and really think it through.

Body mods... :twitches: I think they're weird, but to each his own I guess.

I'm with instramen on this one. Needles are bad. I definately do not like them Sam I am! Not in a boat, or with a goat! Or in a box! Or with a fox! I do not like them here or there! I do not like needles Sam I am!

Yeah... Enough of that. I kinda like those small butterfly tattoos girls get nowadays. But not normally. Depends if it fits the persons personality or not.

[font=Century Gothic][color=darkred]I am with you Chibi[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=darkred][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=darkred]I love tatoos but I think most people get them for the wrong reasons cuz they think it would look cool. I think tatoos should mean something to the person. I'm getting this tatooed on my back (See attachment). It has acouple meanings for me flying has always been one of my dreams but I wanna do it with wings of my own and then there is good and evil in every one that why the wings are different. I hate tatoos that are tacky, pointless or you have to many.[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=darkred]On piercings some places people get them isnt something that I would do but who am I to judge them. I think that if someone wants to get a peircing that its fine with me cause its their choice.[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=darkred]I think Teflon implants are stupid too. Honestly they look retarded and creepy. If we were supposed to have odd bumps on our bodies we would. Some one could say well same thing goes with peircing and tatoos but I dont look at those as altering your body more as decorating Teflon implants are messed up. [/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=darkred]Something I kinda doo like though is when people get thier cainine teeth sharpened. I know alot of people think it is wierd but I think it is kinda a cool distiguishing feature but then again if you bit yourself that would hurt.[/color][/font]

I had my ears pierced in the normal area on my lobes. Four weeks later, I decided that I didn't like them, so I took them out. Now the holes are closed.

As for tongue, belly button, nose, anywhere piercings, no thank you. I would get too annoyed with them.

Tattoes....no thanks either. With temporary tattoes, I get bored with them in an hour. I don't think I would like a permnent one.

I think some body modification is fine, the extreme stuff I find a bit on the bizarre side. I have my ears double pierced and I have a tattoo on my ankle. I don't regret getting the tattoo at all. I have been debating on getting another tattoo but do to lack of funds, it is on the back burner.

The extreme modification I refer to are the implants and those who amputate parts of their body. I remember watching a television show on body modification and there is a subculture that feels their bodies aren't right. So the amputate their fingers and toes...then sell them on the internet!! They do these amputations at home. I just can't imagine cutting a toe off at home then going to the hospital to have them sew me up. Even more so, I can't imagine buying someone's toe and keeping it in a jar on a shelf in my home.

Piercings can be removed so I really have no issues with it. Tattoos and other more extreme modifications really need careful thought. Tattoos can be removed but at a very high price. I wouldn't want to go through that procedure to get them removed! Even more thought needs to be given to amputations. It's not like you can get a new finger if you decide you want it back.

First of all... body piercing so are yummy. Esspecailly lip rings on guys (drools) lol sorry.. but they are. Tattoo's are good too, if they dont go too extreme.. like you were saying about the 52 year old when the big ones all over her..ewhh

but yeah.. once i turn 18 i plan on getting a small one on my hip area, and it'll be the korean symbol for "solitude" or sumthing along those lines..

but yeah this summer, me and my friends are all going to get our nipples pierced. I have no idea why..but it just kinda of sounds kinky and fun. Plus i heard afterwards there are tons of benefits ;) ;) but anywho.. im only getting one pierced in case i dont like it.

but yeah.. piercing and tatoos ..are fine by me.. they are a way to express yourself in anyother way..that's all

I'd love to get my tongue pierced. Like one of those tongue bars, it'd be pretty mad. My parents have no problem with it, they just have to give me permission when I'm actually there to get it done, and they can do it.

Eyebrow piercing... yeah, looks pretty mad if you ask me, I'd get it done. But only one of these things. A tongue bar would be that and only for me, or an eyebrow piercing, I wouldn't get another piercing on my face once I've got one already. I'd get an ear-ring though, if I had a tongue bar, 'cause you can't really see the tongue bar.

Anything else to do with piercing, I wouldn't touch, at all. I plan on getting a tattoo sometime, like the Grim Reaper or something like that. Skulls and that. Preferably on my back somewhere, or on my right shoulder.

[quote name='Fall']I'd love to get my tongue pierced. Like one of those tongue bars, it'd be pretty mad. My parents have no problem with it, they just have to give me permission when I'm actually there to get it done, and they can do it.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]make sure to eat pleanty of ice cream, take plenty of pain killers and don't swallow the thing.![/color]

[QUOTE=Emme888]but yeah this summer, me and my friends are all going to get our nipples pierced. I have no idea why..but it just kinda of sounds kinky and fun. Plus i heard afterwards there are tons of benefits ;) ;) but anywho.. im only getting one pierced in case i dont like it.
[/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet]If you're going to go through with getting one pierced you may as well do both because if you like them it will look all lopsided, but you won't [i]want[/i] to get the other one pierced because they hurt like hell. At least that's what my husband said and he got both of his done.

I know they'll look lopsided tho becaese my friend's brother has one (just one) and it looks bad.

Plus, you're under 18 so what the hell are you thinking about. For that matter, why are your parents letting you do this? I'm sorry, but my mommy genes are kicking in right now.

There aren't too many benifits except the fact that you can say 'I didn't scream too loudly when they stuck a needle through my nipple' and I doubt you can say that without lying. I'm not trying to sound harsh, I'm trying to make you think.[/color]

[url]http://www.deviantart.com/view/7521909/[/url]
[For non-deviant users- You'll have to click the download arrow beneath the thumbnail and copyright]

That explains it all. I would love to get lots of peircings and maybe a tattoo or two, but I don't have the money for one, and my parents are very uptight about that sort of stuff. Tattoos and peircings look cool, but when you try to get in somewhere fancy or go to a job interview, people form the wrong kind of opinions. They're cool for the moment, but not for life.

If I could though, I would get two peircings on my top ears, and a third on my lobe, the upper bridge of my nose (it would be hard to wear glasses o_o), left and right bottom lip and my collar bone. I'd also get tribal wings on my back (my own design of course). The only problem with tattoos and me is that I would probably get bored of it easily. A henna one sounds like a good idea.

My friend has her chest peirced and it looks great. My boyfriend used to have his left bottom lip peirced but his parents said he had to take it out or he couldn't come inside the house. It would look good on him too- bless.

Body mods - no way. I don't like the idea of having your bodily image altered in that way. It's not natural.

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet]make sure to eat pleanty of ice cream, take plenty of pain killers and don't swallow the thing.![/color]
[/QUOTE]I heard your tongue swells up so bad that it's hard to swallow any food too easily, you have to eat soup and drink alot while the swelling is up. Is that what happens really?

[quote name='Fall']I heard your tongue swells up so bad that it's hard to swallow any food too easily, you have to eat soup and drink alot while the swelling is up. Is that what happens really?[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]I'm going on a second person experiance, but yes your tongue will swell and you'll talk like a five year old.

Lincoln's tongue didn't swell too bad, but he had the worst time eatting the first day, but by the second he could. The pain wasthe one thing I remember him moaning about.

It's different for different people I guess. The clamp part was the most interesting thing for me to watch, they pull your tongue out and dab it off.

bottom line, your tongue may swell, but not to astronomic proprtions[/color]

[quote name='Fall']I heard your tongue swells up so bad that it's hard to swallow any food too easily, you have to eat soup and drink alot while the swelling is up. Is that what happens really?[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Tongue piercings are also bad for your teeth ^^; You risk getting more decay and cavities.

For my college graduation, I went out and got a tatoo for myself. My tatoo was of a colorful butterfly right above my butt^^; Hehe. Very spontaneous of me, actually. Shhh, mum doesn't know.

I'd also like to a peircing either on my eyebrow or nose. Someday ^^
[/COLOR]

I have definetly Thaught about getting peircings and maybe a few tatoos but I much prefere Peircings.

I would like to get an eyebrow peircing and a bar across the top of my ear and maybe tounge. For tatoos I might get one or two on my back of some cool symbals. I might get a tattoo of buddha on my back also.

I have thaught about getting a mohock but I am still not sure about that one.

Shippou

I dont think I would be able to get a Tatoo even if I wanted one, I get bored with some things I like easily in less than 2 months or so, so a tatoo would be a waste of money in my eyes. I was thinking about getting a peircing, but not a normal ear or tounge one like my friends. I was thinking about maybe an eybrow one, those look kinda nice and all, or even maybe an belly-button peircing...I'll be the first guy in my group of friends to get one. But I bet they'll freak out and stuff, lol....but I'm really into the idea of getting a navle (sp?) peircing :)

~Laters

[quote name='Mage15']I'll be the first guy in my group of friends to get one. But I bet they'll freak out and stuff, lol....but I'm really into the idea of getting a navle (sp?) peircing :) [/quote]

LMAO, my boyfriend says he wants his belly button peirced just to scare the girls xD Like one of those scenarios where one goes 'Who's got their belly peirced?' and a whole buncha girls show them off. Personally, it'd scare me, but he looks good with anything. I bet he would even look good in drag (I hate him! I hate him! I hate him!).

[quote name='Shi no Tenshi']LMAO, my boyfriend says he wants his belly button peirced just to scare the girls xD Like one of those scenarios where one goes 'Who's got their belly peirced?' and a whole buncha girls show them off. Personally, it'd scare me, but he looks good with anything. I bet he would even look good in drag (I hate him! I hate him! I hate him!).[/quote]

[QUOTE=Mage15]I was thinking about maybe an eybrow one, those look kinda nice and all, or even maybe an belly-button peircing...I'll be the first guy in my group of friends to get one. But I bet they'll freak out and stuff, lol....but I'm really into the idea of getting a navle (sp?) peircing :)

~Laters[/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet]Naval rings are one of the hardest to clean piercings. They get infected really easily. My husband got his done and his got so nasty he ended up taking it out and he's like the cleanest most sanitary person I know of. He showers once a day, sometimes even twice. Still his got infected.

Another girl I used to work with also got her naval done and suddenly it got all itchy and hard. She went back to the guy to get it loked at and when he removed the ring all this pus came out with it. really nasty.

So if you're getting a naval ring, be really careful.

I had an eyebrow ring and I'm getting it redone after the baby is born. (You can't get tattoos or piercings while you' re pregnant) Mostly becuase I figure after the pain of childbirth they could pierce me [i]down there[/i] and I wouldn't make too much of a fuss. (okay, maybe not [i]down there[/i] but I could probably get my nipples done and not yell too much)

Eyebrow rings are kind of fun, but it's weird for a while because you have to get used to seeing this peice of metal out of the corner of your eye. Also you have to make sure not to get things caught on it (IE T-shirts, hair, your brush) and from my experiance you can't lay on the side that's pierced for a while because of the pressure. However, your eyebrow will swell and turn pretty colors of red, yellow blue and purple.

If you get one remember to move it around once in a while and clean it with anti bacterial soap 3 times a day or you'll get some nasty yellow pus coming through the hole.

So ends my advice today. Next time why you shouldn't let your friends stick needles in your ears.[/color]

[color=#002E55]I've wanted to get a tattoo for years, I'm just not sure where I want to put it. I've also had the design for absolutely ages, but I guess I've just never got around to getting it done.

If I was to get a piercing I'd get a labrae spike, purely because I love the things to bits. Whenever I see someone on the train fiddling with the end of the spike with their tongue I wish I was them, lol. ^_^;;[/color]

[color=indigo]I have never seen a male that looks less like a jack-off with body piercings than he would without.

I do find certain piercings attractive on women, and I think an extra earring or a belly ring is fairy provocative for some reason. I also find women with tongue rings to be attractive (except when they constantly click them against their teeth, which is annoying as hell) but that is probably only because I am a dirty man and it reminds me of fellatio.

I am not at all a fan of tattoos, mainly because I find the reasoning behind getting them so stupid. A tattoo is [b]not[/b] a form of self expression unless you personally give yourself a tattoo. For example, if I paint a picture, I am expressing myself. If I pay someone else to paint a picture for me and tell them what I want to be painted, that is not self expression. This is the same redundancy that I point out to every tattooed person that whines about pop stars not writing their own songs.

Therefore, I believe that if you are getting a tattoo, it should be for aesthetic reasons only (like buying art and hanging on your wall). Since tattoos wear and end up looking pretty crappy as your skin expands and contracts, I often find even aesthetic reasons pretty stupid.

Obviously this is just my opinion[/color]

Well, to address the issues in this thread with which I have personal experience:

[b]Tongue rings[/b]: I got my tongue pierced a couple months ago now. The actual piercing didn't hurt that much, except for the mental anguish bit, because I was like, "Holy $@*# he's sticking a needle through my tongue." But the guy was very experienced, so I think he was particularly good at making it not hurt too badly (though how you can change how much a needle through your tongue hurts, I couldn't guess).

Mine happened to bleed a lot and I got a little light-headed afterwards, but that just gave me an excuse to eat ice cream.

That night was the saddest dinner I've ever had in my life. We ate pasta, and I literally had to put one noodle at a time in my mouth, tilt my head so that it would fall to one side, chew really really slowly, and then swallow. The next day was hard too, but by the day after that, I was pretty much back to normal. And I eat ridiculously fast normally, so that says something.

The main thing is that for those two days, especially lying in bed at night before I was going to sleep, I would just be miserable and think, "There is [i]no way I'll ever get used to this thing[/i]." Which was obviously completely wrong. It did hurt a good deal, but I didn't suck on any ice nor take any aspirin. My friend who did it with me at the same time had pretty much the exact same symptoms as I did.

Then again, another of our friends got it at a different time, and he had a much harder time and took a lot longer to adjust to it. So it probably depends on your initial pain threshold and who you get to pierce it.

Incidentally, my cousin is a dentist, and he saw me with it and told me to change the balls immediately. According to him, the metal balls (the ones they pierce you with initially) are much worse for your teeth than the plastic balls (which is unfortunate, because I like the metal ones' look better, but he was so adamant about it that I changed them nearly immediately). He says that the metal ones are more likely to chip teeth, and while teeth are made to stand up to a certain amount of chipping, the tongue ring is from an unexpected direction.

[edit] more details ...
I couldn't talk very well for one day, but by the second day it wasn't noticeable, enough so that I was talking to my best friend and parents on the phone and neither of them noticed a thing.

Also, I got it kind of on a whim, and the first few days were kind of miserable, as I mentioned above. But now that it's completely healed, I think it's one of the most fun things ever, just to play with and stuff.
[/edit]

[b]Navel piercings:[/b] I've had this one for a couple years and, like everyone else in the world with a belly button piercing, it got infected. But mine wasn't a big deal; I didn't take it out, I didn't even go to the doctor (though I wouldn't advise that), I just washed it more often and put Neosporin on it and eventually it went away.

The only big thing with navel piercings is that you [i]should not touch it unless you're cleaning it[/i] for the first couple months at least. My friend did, and ... well, horrible things happened, including infection, but I will spare you the tale because it might convince you not to get one, and I love mine.

[b]Nipple piercings[/b]: No, I do not have my nipple pierced (sorry to disappoint), but a friend of mine got hers done. She said it surprisingly didn't hurt that much during the actual thing, and she didn't scream, but again, this was from the guy who pierced my tongue and was really good at it. Then again, she also has the lowest pain tolerance out of everyone I know, so if she could handle it, I'm sure you can too. I haven't kept up with how she's been dealing with it, but she only got one done and I think it looks fine asymettrical; actually, I think on a girl, having two would be too much. A guy is a different story, they should definitely have both done or none at all.

Well, there's my wisdom. Keep in mind I'm over 18 and all of the people I know who've gotten piercings either had the approval of their parents or were over 18. So.

[quote name='Heaven's Cloud][color=indigo]A tattoo is [b]not[/b'] a form of self expression unless you personally give yourself a tattoo. For example, if I paint a picture, I am expressing myself. If I pay someone else to paint a picture for me and tell them what I want to be painted, that is not self expression. This is the same redundancy that I point out to every tattooed person that whines about pop stars not writing their own songs.[/color][/quote]

[color=teal]That's a good point and I know what you mean, but your statement can't be true under all circumstances since expressionism and symbolism are two very different things.

My older brother wants to get a very small tattoo of the Chinese Yin and Yang symbol on the back of his left foot, and wants me to get the same thing but on my right foot. He merely just wants to create a tangible symbolic statement that shows who we are, but I believe that he can show it in some other non-painful way, heh. Personally I don't want it, but the fact that he narrowed the position of the tattoo down to the back of the foot made me reconsider; after all, who's going to look at the back of my foot?

If you ever saw the film Scarface where all of the Cubans have tattoos on the webbing of their right hand thumb, then you'd know where I'm coming from. A tattoo can mean anything; expressions, symbols, codes, or nothing at all.[/color]

[color=#707875]I don't have much of an opinion on this stuff in general...in the sense that I don't really care what other people do.

In terms of what I find attractive on someone else...I'd say that lots of piercings and tattoos just don't do it for me. I'd rather look at someone's body in its natural state, rather than adorned with all kinds of foreign objects.

Having said that, I don't mind smaller touches...a small tattoo somewhere private, or a single belly button ring or eyebrow ring or something. Something minor.

In terms of myself...well, I've thought about getting both a tattoo and a piercing at various times in my life. But I'm not sure that I'll ever do either.

If I got a piercing, I don't know what I'd get...maybe an eyebrow ring or a belly button ring. Anything else is probably a bit too exotic for me (the sheer idea of a tongue ring makes me dry reach, actually lol).

And, in terms of a tattoo...again, something small and relatively private. I've thought about various places where I could get one (maybe a small one on my inner thigh or something -- something that only a special person could see ~_^). As far as what the actual image would be...who knows. I'm half tempted to get a little silhouette of 8-bit Mario jumping or something, but that's probably going a bit too far with the Nintendo-craze. ~_^[/color]

There are a few places I think a tattoo would be all right (though I still don't think I'll ever get one), and the foot is one of them. But you should keep in mind how very painful a foot tattoo is to get ... because the skin there is so thin and all. The good thing about there is that it probably won't expand/contract very much, since your feet don't really change size.

We were just talking about foot tattoos today. The thought of getting one actually makes me physically cringe ... but I do think it would be cool :P.

Oh, by the way, the reason I chose to get a tongue/navel piercing is because they're hidden. I like the idea of having hidden surprises ... er, yeah. That's why I think a foot tattoo or lower back tattoo would be the best places to get one, too ... I don't usually like things that are obvious just from looking at someone.

[color=#707875]I agree with you about the hidden surprises thing, terra. If you have a giant tattoo all over your arms or something...well, everyone can see it. Obviously that's the point, I guess.

But I'd much rather have something that only one person (or very few, anyway lol) can actually see. I think that just increases its value, in terms of it being unique and special. That's something I'd look for on another person, if they were so inclined to have a tattoo/piercing.[/color]

[color=darkblue]I think that for a female one or two [i]at most[/i] tasteful tattoos are very attractive, as long as they are in the right spot. They shouldn't get them in places where the skin can easily sag and stretch in the future, such as arms, stomachs, and lower backs.

As for piercings, go for it! As long as there's not a horrible infection, you can take it out and no one will be the wiser once you get bored with it. In fact, I love a tattooed, pierced male, as long as he's not gone overboard. For guys, the shoulders and biceps are the sexiest places for a tattoo. I like tribals the best.[/color]