OtakuBoards

The Blair Witch Rumor

Box Hoy

If you saw this movie then you probably know about the rumor that the it was a film they found in the woods and that it is real.
I want people's opinion on it. Do you think it is real?

In my opinion I say no until proven otherwise. My decision is based upon the fact that you do not see the Blair Witch at all in the movie and that if you had you probably would've easily been able to easily identify if the movie was real or not based upon effects.

I however have not seen the Blair Witch 2 and if anyone has who can give me info from it that opposes my decision feel free to PM me.

[color=darkslategray][size=1][font=Lucida Sans Unicode]I will agree with you, Hoy. I am into all of that phenomina of the paranormal, however, I cannot see how the "Blair Witch" can be considered of such. Sure, I've seen T.V. shows and specials over this topic and I've seen the movie/documentary. But think about it, think about where this supposedly took place. In the boondocks. You never know who will and can actually live out in the depths of the woods. There are many cases of insane escapees, and where would you go if you were a brutal killer escaped? The woods, where no one would find you.

So along come these three students, all by themselves, only keeping eachother company. Who knows, perhaps they were slaughtered by some psychotic murderer. It happens everyday. Perhaps someone got away with a perfect murder. A countryside littered with haunted rumors of a witch, perfect. Who else will the people blame it on? No one. The people of that area are so freaked by these rumors of this witch, that they are led to believe anything out of the norm to be the cause of this "Blair Witch".

Reasonable? In my opinion, in my mind and thought, that's how I see it. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. But, it makes sense to me.[/color][/size][/font]

I figured that everyone on the planet knew it was fake by now. It's not real, end of story. It's just a low budget thriller and the main marketing push was that it was the real thing. The actors and actresses in the movie have since appeared on TV, so I think you can put two and two together lol.

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1][B]I've seen Balir Witch 2 and it looks more of a movie than the first one. The addition of video effects made it look more like a real scripted movie. Also, the second movie has a "story" than the previous one.

[COLOR=Purple]To end it all, the rumors are not real.[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=indigo]Ahh, the Blair Witch mockumentary. I have no idea why people thought it was based on real events. The area in Maryland where the Blair Witch was set never had a similar legend or myth until after the movie became such a phenomena.

Anyway, I found both movies to be lacking in just about every aspect that makes movies enjoyable. Like the Passion without good cinematography.[/color]

[quote name='Heaven's Cloud][color=indigo']Anyway, I found both movies to be lacking in just about every aspect that makes movies enjoyable. Like the Passion without good cinematography.[/color][/quote]

[color=darkviolet]Yes, and I doubt the guy playing Jesus had a camera showing his nose hairs. Not that I've seen The Passion, but I'm assuming the cinamatography is better.

And it's quite obvious that Blair Witch was a fake. Anyone could come up with a lame legend like that. I could come up with a lame story like that.[/color]

The Blair Witch Project was filmed by filmmakers from UCF, my school, and some of the footage shot was shot here in Orlando and it's surrounding area as well as Maryland. It's a movie, why would anything on it be real? Unless specifically said, based on real events, you must assume what you are watching is a work of fiction and not something real. I thought this was common knowledge. Apparently theres enough idiots out there that actually can believe what they see on a movie screen. Those of the type of people you should probably stay away from. If you cannot differentiate between movie and real life, then you need some help.

[quote name='Transtic Nerve']It's a movie, why would anything on it be real? Unless specifically said, based on real events, you must assume what you are watching is a work of fiction and not something real. I thought this was common knowledge. Apparently theres enough idiots out there that actually can believe what they see on a movie screen. Those of the type of people you should probably stay away from. If you cannot differentiate between movie and real life, then you need some help.[/quote]
TN, there's a distinction that's required here.

The difference between say, The Matrix and Blair Witch was that Blair Witch was marketed as authentic footage. The entire release...the mythos surrounding the movie...all were devised to make people think it was real. This is entirely different from a teenager watching The Matrix, then dressing up in a black trenchcoat and shooting up a school, or a young child trying to fly like Superman.

Superman and The Matrix, while creating a believable world in their respective realities, simply were not presented like Blair Witch, and while it may be foolish to consider the idea that people believed Blair Witch to be real, it is understandable, given the context of its release.

I hardly think we can lump the Blair Witch audience in with a kid dressing up like Neo as he goes to see Kill Bill Vol. 1. Get what I'm saying?

[color=#707875]I think TN is just pointing out that unless a movie expressly mentions that it's based on real events, one can assume it's fiction.

Having said that, there are a lot of movies out there that are fiction, but that are still based on the a real-life story. So to that extent, maybe there's some confusion...I don't know.

In regard to Blair Witch itself, I think that although they were selling it as "being a real event", the ads themselves pretty much give away that it's false. If that video tape was real, who in their right mind would create a slick marketing campaign for the theatrical release? That just makes no sense in my view. The way the ads were done suggests that it was just a deliberate technique to make it [i]look [/i]realistic.

But maybe the ads over there were different, I have no idea. I can only say really echo what's been said in here; the movie obviously [i]isn't [/i]real and it isn't based on anything real. These rumors popped up after the release of the movie (which can often happen).[/color]

[QUOTE=`hEvN][color=royalblue][size=1][b]I've seen Balir Witch 2 and it looks more of a movie than the first one. The addition of video effects made it look more like a real scripted movie. Also, the second movie has a "story" than the previous one.[/b]

[/size][/color][/QUOTE]Blair Witch 2 is meant to look like a movie. It is a movie. It's not meant to look like real footage, more like a scripted movie. It's just there to add a sequal to the first one.

The first movie, looks real, yeah it's got everything going for it. But now I think its fake. I used to have doubts about wether it was fake or not, but I think it is now. It was made the way it is so people would watch it hoping for a movie based on a true story, a story that's basically never had a movie made on it before. It pretty mutch grabbed peoples attention by the story behind it, of the three kids ad the woods and whatever. Because they got heaps of mony from the first movie, this has funded enough to make the second one, giving the director/producer/whatever the money and power to add a script, special effects, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
i have a friend who lives 15 minutes from the place. it is definately real. he has been there he spent two days in the forest there. and there is a rumor about college kids who did the saem and made a video, other than the movie group of them.

I believe in that sort of thing but im not to sure that was real. People think those kids did that for they could run away and start a new life. What gets me is when ashes are udisturbed for about a 100 years the ashes turn in to layers of ash and when they found the tape it was covered in ashes that were layered which means its had to have been there for a hundred years which makes no since.