OtakuBoards

Do your parents make you do everything!?

mononoke_man

My parents make me do most of the chores, while my older and lazier brother doesn't do crap around the house. I'll be sitting on the other side of the house from where my mom is. My older brother Jonathan will be sitting right in front of her, and when she wants something to be done, instead of telling him to do it, she calls me from the other side of the house. My brother is so friggin' lazy! they say that I'm more helpful than Jonathan, but that doesn't mean that i have to do everything while he does nothing! He even treats my parents like crap, and he still doesn't get made to do anything! It makes me so MAD!!! :flaming: :mad:

your not the only one, now that both my sisters are at uni, i'm left at home, and i get all the chores, or should i say slave labor, washing up, walking dog, cooking dinner, making my parents cups of coffee, when i'm in the middle of something. i cant wait till i get my own house, and theres no way im cleaning it up, i'll hire a maid or something.

Hm, I'd say I only do everything so I can move out soon. I mean right now, I go out and do whatever just so that I can get my dad to hire my own maid, hehehe. But really, if it's not for the house, it's for college and presents. *Is a busy-body* ^_^ I'm the oldest of six kids, so I'm looked up to as the one who gets the chores, the responsibility...and the blame. :smirk:

[quote name='wrist cutter']Get a job and they'll stop bothering you.[/quote]

[color=darkviolet]Not true, I had a job when I was sixteen and my parents still wanted me to do stupid things like clean my room and load and unload the dishwasher. Oh and do the laundry.

What you should really do to ease the burden on yourself is move out-preferably to another state where they can't bother you any more. Then instead of your parents or whomever making you do everything, you can make yourself do everything.

Of course, if you end up like me you'll get some kind of spouse or partner or whatever and he or she will make you do stupid things like clean the apartment, make up a grocery list and balance the check book. Oh and do the laundry.

However if you keep doing things like I do, you can have kids and make them do things. As soon as they're able to.[/color]

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]Yeah, stupid parents! Making us do chores, and all they ever do for us is...put a roof over our head, feed us, clothe us, tend to our medical needs, drive us places, provide heat, water and power, keep us in the standard of living we're accostumed to...

And we have to take out the trash? Damn them!! >:([/color][/size][/font]

[QUOTE=DeathBug][color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]Yeah, stupid parents! Making us do chores, and all they ever do for us is...put a roof over our head, feed us, clothe us, tend to our medical needs, drive us places, provide heat, water and power, keep us in the standard of living we're accostumed to...

And we have to take out the trash? Damn them!! >:([/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]

[color=#002E55]Indeed.

I have no problem with doing chores for my parents if they ask me to. I just remember that they're the ones providing me with a roof over my head and everything that comes with it. Plus, they've been looking after me for years without me lifting a finger due to my age - now it's my turn to return the favour.
[/color]

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet]Not true, I had a job when I was sixteen and my parents still wanted me to do stupid things like clean my room and load and unload the dishwasher. Oh and do the laundry.

Of course, if you end up like me you'll get some kind of spouse or partner or whatever and he or she will make you do stupid things like clean the apartment, make up a grocery list and balance the check book. Oh and do the laundry.[/color][/QUOTE]
[color=#009966]You call cleaning the house, washing the dishes, keeping a record of expenses, making sure you have food, and doing laundry stupid? :therock:[/color]

[quote name='Deedlit][color=#009966']You call cleaning the house, washing the dishes, keeping a record of expenses, making sure you have food, and doing laundry stupid? :therock:[/color][/quote]

[color=darkviolet]I was excercising my right to be sarcastic, I'm sorry if it went over your head. Next time I'll make everything much clearer.[/color]

[SIZE=1][B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]...and when you get to have kids they'll be wanting to move out when you ask them to do house chores. So what if you're brother is lazy? Do you want to be like him? Believe me... laziness is one of the 7 deadly sins... better tell him that...

And by the way, house chores do burn calories...[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

I always do things bearing in mind that:

1. It will help me learn skills that I will need when I leave home.
2. I am returning the favour to my parents for supporting me.
3. It gives me something to do, rather than spend it doing nothing in front of the PC. (I REFUSE to watch TV!)

It does annoy me when my brother doesn't do anything to help around the house. It annoys me when my dad does nothing to help around the house. It annoys me when my mother thinks she has to do everything around the house then bitches at us cause we do nothing. Bloody well ask and we will x_x Point is, no family is perfect just be thankful for what you have.

Now, what pisses me off with reason is when I'm told to do something and the reason is "Cause you're a girl". I am a firm feminist (not extremist x_x I believe in equal opportunities for men and women) so it really screws me over when I'm told to do things cause I'm a girl. I do things because they are my responsibility or as a favour, not because of my gender. When I get told that I don't do whatever it is they asked me to do, which may sound overly sensitive but I'm just like that ;P

[QUOTE=Shi no Tenshi]1. It will help me learn skills that I will need when I leave home.
[/QUOTE]
Big time. It really sucks if you move out 4 cities away and you have to call your Mom because you have no idea what settings to select on the washing machine in order to not totally wreck your clothes.

[quote name='Shi no Tenshi']It does annoy me when my brother doesn't do anything to help around the house. It annoys me when my dad does nothing to help around the house. It annoys me when my mother thinks she has to do everything around the house then bitches at us cause we do nothing. Bloody well ask and we will x_x Point is, no family is perfect just be thankful for what you have.[/quote]
Feeling some deja-vu here. Even while I was working the same hours as my Dad (who for the record is a complete idiot on the whole) he would regularly exercise his right to lay on the couch every second of every day that he wasn't at work. Belt out orders for people to grab him a beer... complain if dinner was a half hour later than usual. (And then go on about it for the rest of the night/next morning). And wouldn't even clean up his plate after dinner, but instead volunteer me to do it for him. "He'll help you with that." Like hell I will you disgusting man.

Anyway, my Mom was also in the mindset that she was the only one doing anything. Mind you, she did do significantly more than me. The best thing that you could do (and what you all [i]should[/i] be doing for those of you that are still at home) is regularly [i]offer[/i] to help. See your Mom washing dishes? [i]Offer[/i] to dry them. Better yet, grab a towel and just start doing it without asking. After a while she'll realize that you're doing some work too. Don't get into an argument about it.

~adempton

[QUOTE=Shi no Tenshi]
1. It will help me learn skills that I will need when I leave home.[/QUOTE]

I think once you take out the trash the first time, you'll be pretty good at it the rest of your life without doing it on a weekly basis. Most of the chores parents make you do (unless they make you pay bills or something) are mostly just brainless tasks.

[size=1]We may think that they make us do everything, but what if they didnt? What if when you're finally out on your own and your sitting around the house/apartment and the dishwasher needs to be ran, you need to clean the place up, and take out the trash, and since you've never done any of this because all you do is sit around your parents house, NOTHING would never get done. And since your lazy *** never did anything, you wouldnt want to do it anyway because you never had any enforcement to make you do it.

And as DeathBug said, they do so much for us, and in return, we do so little for them. So they are getting the raw end of the deal, so be happy.[/size]

i have to agree with the person who started this board since my parents make me do everything. and since im not the only person in the house capable of doing the chores it makes it even worse! grrr :flaming: it's really annoying and im sick of it, but when i tell my mum that i shouldnt be the only one doing the chores, she just says that you are the only one that can do it since i and your stepfather work all day. well what about my brother? that's what i want answered. he's perfectly capable of doing the chores-in fact, yesterday he wanted to help, but no says mum you have to go outside and play. play i ask you!!!! what about me? and i have so much homework that it isnt funny, and i HAVE to do it or else i cant go everywhere, and she also expects me to do all the chores as well! honestly! :flaming: grrr

ok i have said everthing now. but you see what i mean?????

well, my dear wierd club membe :p r, i understand exactly what you mean! I always have to do everything!!! But now that my father's going through a divorce, I'm going to be the only kid living in my house. So now I'm going to have to become like a super hero or something!!! ahhhhh! :eek: I'm going to have a GREAT time, no??< sarcastic well I've rambled enough. :babble: Bye!

[quote name='wrist cutter']I think once you take out the trash the first time, you'll be pretty good at it the rest of your life without doing it on a weekly basis. Most of the chores parents make you do (unless they make you pay bills or something) are mostly just brainless tasks.[/quote]

Well obviously taking out the trash is not something which requires brain power or skill. Things like cooking, ironing and using the right detergent in the tub so I don't keep tripping over my toes are things which I may need to know when I end up by me onesy. Lest I plan on hiring a maid and a cook for the rest of my life which is highly unlikely. REAL housework is harder than most people think. And you kids complain about taking out the ******* trash.

Im not saying that I don't care about my parents, or that Im not thankful for what they've done for me! Im saying that i just wish they would make my brother do something for once! geez, you guys were thinking that i didn't care about my parents.

[color=#9933ff]Okay. Let me clarify that statement for everything: This topic isn't about doing for your parents, it's about what your siblings [b]aren't[/b] doing. And it's also about preferential treatment. Er... That's what I think Okibi means. Why do parents single [b]you[/b] out to do [i]all[/i] the chores? See? Unfair treatment.

And I have to agree; not that I've ever been subjected to it, perse, but the idea of preferential treatment is bizarre and unfair. Actually, no, I take that back. There's some of preterential treament in my family towards me (I'm the one who gets everything) and I'm still pissed off about it. For any of you with sarcastic comments right now, this doesn't mean I'm spoiled. It means I believe in being fair and just. I think it's totally unfair that my dad adores me and he doesn't like my sister. And I have a shrewed idea why, and it's even more unfair, then. I don't like to see people unhappy, or being treated unfairly, and that's why I don't like it.

I'd like to say a couple things about chores: They're not so bad in themselves, but again, when you're the only one being made to do anything, it's pretty annoying. And yes, taking the trash out is a big deal, especially when there's rabid racoons situated near the end of the driveway and your parents, knowing this, still make you take our the trash. =P[/color]

Its a nightmare at my house, my brothers and I ha dto do all the chors when we were little every time our mom went to work. it would either be: Dishes, Vacuming, Mowing the yard, dusting, cleaning the bathrooms (toilets and showers), cleaning our rooms, do the laundry ever weekend. I kinda thank my partents for maing me do those things cause now my brothers and I are a lot nearter and clean up after ourselves, and we could use those cleaning techniques when we go to college or get a house.

~Laters

[color=darkviolet]Okay, so I read it wrong. My bad!

In that case, no, my parents don't make me do everything, but I'd immagine that would suck royaly.

My brother and I have certain jobs we have to do. I have laundry he does the trash.

Have you considered talking to your parents about this treatment? That could always work.[/color]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet']I was excercising my right to be sarcastic[/color][/quote]
[color=#009966]Sorry, CH. :whoops: Sarcasm is sometimes hard to discern when alot of the posts in the thread are serious.[/color]

Guest Ninapunk
Yea, i get anoyed when i have to do chores around the house, but i dont do much, anyway, when i do, they're stupid ones...like bathing my dog, plug my brother's Gamecube so he can play(THAT ONE ANOYS ME SO MUCH! :flaming: ), put my clothe in my hamper,yea, basically that.so, its not that bad, but sometimes I wish i had a challenge then sit in front of the tv all day... :sleep: