OtakuBoards

Death Note

Dagger

[quote name='Monkey_Orange][COLOR=DarkOrange]I just bought and read volume 7 last night. And although I [I]knew[/I'] what major event was going to happen...I'm still in a phase of utter shock. :animedepr [/COLOR][/quote]

Actually, I found [spoiler]L's death[/spoiler] to be very anticlimatic. My favourite parts of the books were when L and Light [spoiler]were working together[/spoiler], and I was dreading the point where Light [spoiler]touched the Death Note and got his memory back[/spoiler]. After that, everything was just kind of boring. [spoiler]L's death[/spoiler] happened so quickly, and without Light having to dirty his hands, that it had no real effect on me.

And I already dislike Mello and Near. Near seems too much a clone of L, and Mello just grates on me. Hopefully the last few books will pick up.

Plus, do we EVER find out L's name? I know it doesn't have any real impact on the story, but I want to know!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bleeding Soul
WOW. Death note is an awsome seiries. I can't wait to get the movie. I'm only on book six since thats all that's been released here though.

[quote name='Bleeding Soul']WOW. Death note is an awsome seiries. I can't wait to get the movie. I'm only on book six since thats all that's been released here though.[/quote]

Actually, Volume 7 was released a couple of weeks ago, and Volume 8 should be coming out in about a month and a half. :)

EDIT: Unless you live outside of America, in which case I look dumb. :p

[COLOR=DarkOrange][QUOTE=Raito-Kun][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Indigo][spoiler]he kills L somewhere between chapters 60 and 70

thank you for your time. -goes into a corner and mourns for L-[/spoiler][/COLOR] [/FONT][/QUOTE]

... you need to die. *pulls out Death Note* j/k

I just got volumes 1-6 over the past few days, and I'm on the edge of my seat for what will happen next! This manga always keeps the adrenaline going!

During the first volume and the first half of the second volume I couldn't stop reading simply because of Lights awesome planning. The way he hides Death Note and the way L tricks him are both great.

I found the part with the fiance to be kinda boring, but after that it jumped back into the fray with the crazy door and the cameras (attempting to remain ambigous so that even without tags, no one gets spoiled)

Most of volume 3 was kind of boring for me mostly because I had a headache and itt kept groing. It was like L and Light's eccessive amounts of thinking were intruding in my thinking and it was crazy. Plus I was mad that they [spoiler]weren't showing Ryuk nearly as much and that was sad.[/spoiler] The entire end part with Sakura TV, though, was purely awesome and one of my favorite parts so far. It was so sudden and so crazy and when [spoiler]Light's dad crashed the armored car into Sakura TV[/spoiler] things were off the wall!

Misa-chan is probably my favorite character because she's cute and she's so devoted to Light-kun and other reasons I won't say.

It was in volume 4 that I began to utterly hate Light-kun. Firstly because he [spoiler]continuously blows off Misa-chan.[spoiler] I actually am glad he does that because it reinforces his character as a super-genius villain, but still... I love Misa-chan. Then when Light [spoiler]burns the Death Note I was mad because Ryuk was gone and isn't in 5 or 6![/spoiler]

Light's plan to [spoiler] forfeit his position as Kira[/spoiler] was genious and just adds to the scale of his plans and his genious. I loved these volumes but it kind of bugged me how [spoiler]Light still has so little interest in Misa-chan and won't even give her at chance or at least go on a date with her.[/spoiler] Also [spoiler]something about the way Misa had changed so much after the memory loss, at least in my mind, didn't seem right.[/spoiler] Maybe I'm just picky.

The chase scene at the end of Volume 6 was great. I love that [spoiler] a plan actually went off without a hitch and how three of the board members got a little more personality.[/spoiler][/COLOR]

I found out about it in my shonen Jump, then found out my library had only the first volume :animedepr :animecry:

I really want to finish the rest of the manga's... But I dont have any money right now :animecry:

lol

You've really made me fired up about getting the rest of the books

Mei Mei

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Kenshin DX']I think its Ryuga.[/quote]

[spoiler]That's not L's name. It's an alias he used so that Light would be unable to kill him. He chose it because it was also the name of a famous pop star; if Light wrote the name in the Death Note, he could very well kill Ryuga the pop star, which would obviously be bad for Light. :P

Apparently, though, a new "volume" of Death Note is going to be released next Friday in which L's real name will be revealed.[/spoiler]

[QUOTE=Shinmaru][spoiler]That's not L's name. It's an alias he used so that Light would be unable to kill him. He chose it because it was also the name of a famous pop star; if Light wrote the name in the Death Note, he could very well kill Ryuga the pop star, which would obviously be bad for Light. :P

Apparently, though, a new "volume" of Death Note is going to be released next Friday in which L's real name will be revealed.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Blue]My bad I got confused.

Anyway does anyone else feel that [spoiler] That Ls death was kind of a downfall for the series?[/spoiler] I mean he was a genius and was a perfect rival for Light. Near is suposed to[spoiler] be Ls succesor[/spoiler] How do you think that will work out?[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Kenshin DX][COLOR=Blue]My bad I got confused.

Anyway does anyone else feel that [spoiler] That Ls death was kind of a downfall for the series?[/spoiler] I mean he was a genius and was a perfect rival for Light. Near is suposed to[spoiler] be Ls succesor[/spoiler] How do you think that will work out?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
What kind of answer do you want for this question? I mean, how far have you read? Are you looking for spoilers, or are you only seeking speculation from people who are at the same point in the series as you?

Many readers do feel that the second arc is lower in quality than the first. I disagree. It's less shocking, certainly; how could Ohba have kept our astonishment at the same level as before without resorting to cheap tricks? But I don't think there's some kind of huge divide between them. If you go back and re-read the beginning after finishing the series, the foreshadowing is actually stunning. The two halves of the story complement each other.

But if you're looking solely for more of that pure mind game goodness, then you very well could be disappointed. I'd suggest trying to keep an open mind about it--don't let your opinion be determined solely by what everyone else seems to be saying.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger]What kind of answer do you want for this question? I mean, how far have you read? Are you looking for spoilers, or are you only seeking speculation from people who are at the same point in the series as you?

Many readers do feel that the second arc is lower in quality than the first. I disagree. It's less shocking, certainly; how could Ohba have kept our astonishment at the same level as before without resorting to cheap tricks? But I don't think there's some kind of huge divide between them. If you go back and re-read the beginning after finishing the series, the foreshadowing is actually stunning. The two halves of the story complement each other.

But if you're looking solely for more of that pure mind game goodness, then you very well could be disappointed. I'd suggest trying to keep an open mind about it--don't let your opinion be determined solely by what everyone else seems to be saying.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Blue]Ok.... What I was getting at was what do people think about [spoiler] Ls death and how will Near fill his shoes[/spoiler]. I know how DN ends Ive read the final chapters but in order im up up to[spoiler] where L keels over and dies[/spoiler].the look on Lights face is priceless so full of evil. I would NEVER let my opinion be determined on what everyone else has been saying.Im a free thinker and decide for myself what I like and dont not based on others opinions.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Kenshin DX][COLOR=Blue]Ok.... What I was getting at was what do people think about [spoiler] Ls death and how will Near fill his shoes[/spoiler'].[/COLOR][/quote]
Well, to phrase it in a relatively spoiler-free way, I think that fans who say things like [spoiler]"Near isn't a worthy successor to L" or "Near will never fill L's shoes"[/spoiler] are not only over-simplifying things but perhaps also missing the point entirely. One can't really blame them for this, given that this is simply the way that things are set up toward the beginning of the second arc, but I do feel that people who insist on framing the situation this way even later on in the second arc are denying themselves the chance to appreciate the way the plot develops. They don't have to [i]like[/i] the second arc; one can appreciate something without liking it, and the second arc just doesn't get enough credit in that regard.

One of the interesting things about [spoiler]L's death is that it really makes you scramble to find a sympathetic character. It's the event that should have reduced the story to a simple fight of good versus evil. But no matter how you feel about Near, ethically speaking, I think it's difficult to root for him in the same way that a lot of people liked to root for L. In fact, in much of the second arc, it's difficult to root for anyone. This took some of the shounen excitement out of the story but also ultimately made it a more sophisticated work.[/spoiler] That's just my view, of course. :)

~Dagger~

• 2 years later...
[FONT="Times New Roman"]Whoa... I just finished reading the 000 chapter (which I was not aware of there being one of those chapters.) Is that [spoiler]Taru/o boy the same guy that was working with Light[/spoiler] later on down the line? If so, then that should mean that he was aware of the death note before Light, right?

[spoiler]And where did this eraser come from?[/spoiler][/FONT]

• 1 month later...